The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

For those interested in the competition...

DP Review TV do a Panasonic S1 review...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S34Tp7czj74

Maybe shades the Nikon but the A7III is better in some ways.

Wish the A7III IBIS was that good.
its BIG and HEAVY! meh.

I'd rather buy an A99II and make use of all the cheap, sharp and awesome a-mount glass. Not to mention A99II is ergonomically even better with better AF system.

If there were an A99III with more recent sensor tech, IBIS and eyeAF then absolutely, though pricing might be an issue. I really liked A mount stuff and access to both new and old lenses.

If there were an A99III with more recent sensor tech, IBIS and eyeAF then absolutely, though pricing might be an issue. I really liked A mount stuff and access to both new and old lenses.

I imagine A7III IBIS is just as good with Sony 24-105mm, it is on my A7RIII

The A99II has same sensor and IBIS as A7RII and A7RIII. It also has eyeAF.

A99ii is a really good camera. The situation with a-mount glass is a concern though.

The A99II has same sensor and IBIS as A7RII and A7RIII. It also has eyeAF.

Seems I had forgotten the sensor and genuinely didn't know about eye-AF (was it added recently?). It was an alternative to the A7III for me, though I did a lot of my research when I was off ill a couple of months back and may have now forgotten stuff.

Seems I had forgotten the sensor and genuinely didn't know about eye-AF (was it added recently?). It was an alternative to the A7III for me, though I did a lot of my research when I was off ill a couple of months back and may have now forgotten stuff.

No had it from release. Not sure how well it works because I haven't used it for more than 5 minutes. I imagine its better than A7RII though.

NifmJPN.jpg

So A7III with 28-70 for £1,849.99
or A7III body only for £1,829.00.

Seems a no brainier really.

Nikon discounts its mirrorless cameras...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new...ow-sells-the-z7-for-2798-and-the-z6-for-1798/

This seems a bit soon so maybe the internet chatter about these things not selling too well is true.

There is not a lot to fault Nikon Zs. They are rather good.
Though seriously I don't see what the point of their noct 58 is. Why waste R&D time and money on a lens that won't sell when you already have other issues
If that was their idea to get one up over Sony is rather a stupid one. Canon has the right idea with their F1.2 primes

Last edited:
Though seriously I don't see what the point of their noct 58 is. Why waste R&D time and money on a lens that won't sell when you already have other issues
If that was their idea to get one up over Sony is rather a stupid one. Canon has the right idea with their F1.2 primes

Agreed. Saw one at the photo sho, it’s a monster [emoji15][emoji15]

Not to mention the price tag and lack of AF.

But they made the right decision by making their flange smaller than sony.
Canon RF and L are larger so I wonder if 3rd parties who are already on Sony bandwagon can port thier lenses to RF or L. Optically speaking it's probably simple to port it to Nikon Z if they figure out the protocol.

Have you actually used one for any length of time?

I thought they where crap, good ergonomics though.

In have used Z7 a number of times.
Ergonomics were lot better than Sony.
The touchscreen is actually useful.

The AF needs a bit of improvement but there is a fw update coming with eyeAF.

They don't have all the lenses I want (but neither does sony) but there are some F-mount lens(es) I'd love to adapt like the 300mm PF.
If they do fix thier AF I may just swap over one day when its cheap enough to do so.

But if canon manage to fix their sensor and AF sooner I'd most definitely swap to canon. They already have glass sorted for me.

Last edited:
The thing with Nikon and the z cameras that made me just jump to Sony was the cost of lenses.
They might be good but the cost is ridiculous. £2k for there 24-70 2.8 [emoji50] can’t wait to see what the 70-200 and 85 come in at.

The fact that there are currently on 5 lenses if you don’t convert and the mixed reports on using them converted.

The arse fell out the price of Nikon kit recently and I lost a fair amount switching but would have been even more annoyed buying into the Z system for it to be dropping in price already.

They don't have all the lenses I want (but neither does sony) but there are some F-mount lens(es) I'd love to adapt like the 300mm PF.
If they do fix thier AF I may just swap over one day when its cheap enough to do so.

But if canon manage to fix their sensor and AF sooner I'd most definitely swap to canon. They already have glass sorted for me.
Why switch to canon? I'd only switch if they created the first full frame global shutter or some other game changing stuff

Bit of improvement :LOL:

I actually bought myself a Z7, thought it might suit me having been Nikon for so long for personal use and would allow me to get some use out of the Nikon glass I still had at the time, I hated it and thankfully was able to return it, without having to take the hit on selling it on.

I second shot a wedding for a mate who was stuck after her second fell ill a few weeks back using her gear and used her Z6, found the a.f performance very frustrating and swoped to a D750 shortly after the ceremony which I actually thought was more reliable in terms of a.f especially in low light. So much for the Z6 being great in low light I thought it was awful, hunted like anything even using the 35mm f/1.8 S. She thought the same which was why she had palmed the Z6 on to me instead of using it herself. :mad:

Just my opinion of course, but they really aren't very good and that's not even comparing to the Sony's, they aren't even that good compared to the Nikon DSLR's.

They have miles to go before they can compete with Sony, haven't used any of the new Canon's so don't know how good/bad they are.

I was honestly surprised at how poor the a.f performance was on the Z's, they are okay in decent light, I had borrowed one from another friend previously for a couple of days when they first launched and first impressions was that they where okay.

I lent the girl I second shot for a couple of A7III's and some lenses for family mini sessions, Saturday before last. She brought them back to me the day after and couldn't get over the difference. She put all her Nikon stuff up for sale straight away but hasn't had any real interest in them at all. She is giving it another few days and then she is bringing the whole lot down to W.E.X to trade in.

The ergonomics are better though.

It's a council house camera at a Hollywood mansion price.

Last edited:
Took my new A6400 out for the day yesterday, this little camera is surprisingly very good.

Hopefully at some point Sony will bring out a more pro type APSC camera with the bigger battery, I.B.I.S and dual card slots.

Also selfies. :p

On another site there are grumblings about issues which could maybe be fixed with firmware. One that surprised me was a guy describing an issue by which the Nikon evf was black on long exposures whereas the Sony displayed the scene. Seems like a shutter effect on/off issue that Nikon have messed up.

The thing with Nikon and the z cameras that made me just jump to Sony was the cost of lenses.
They might be good but the cost is ridiculous. £2k for there 24-70 2.8 [emoji50] can’t wait to see what the 70-200 and 85 come in at.

The fact that there are currently on 5 lenses if you don’t convert and the mixed reports on using them converted.

The arse fell out the price of Nikon kit recently and I lost a fair amount switching but would have been even more annoyed buying into the Z system for it to be dropping in price already.

Makes me wonder about the future of Nikon if they've messed this up badly. Japanese companies hang on like zombies when western companies would have long since folded but even if Nikon don't actually fold or get taken over poor sales and slashed prices could affect their resources and lead to poor or even no development. Sony are setting a killer pace and can imagine Nikon really suffering, if they've messed this up.

Makes me wonder about the future of Nikon if they've messed this up badly. Japanese companies hang on like zombies when western companies would have long since folded but even if Nikon don't actually fold or get taken over poor sales and slashed prices could affect their resources and lead to poor or even no development. Sony are setting a killer pace and can imagine Nikon really suffering, if they've messed this up.

Especially only 12 months after their "extraordinary loss".

Lots of reports that the rubber on the grip is peeling away already too on the Z6 and it’s also very soft and easily marked.

Lots of reports that the rubber on the grip is peeling away already too on the Z6 and it’s also very soft and easily marked.

Yup. Seen that on other sites and in the Nikon thread here too.

Took my new A6400 out for the day yesterday, this little camera is surprisingly very good.

Hopefully at some point Sony will bring out a more pro type APSC camera with the bigger battery, I.B.I.S and dual card slots.

Also selfies. :p
Im amazed we don't already have an A6.

On another site there are grumblings about issues which could maybe be fixed with firmware. One that surprised me was a guy describing an issue by which the Nikon evf was black on long exposures whereas the Sony displayed the scene. Seems like a shutter effect on/off issue that Nikon have messed up.

Can't say I have ever looked through the EVF during a long exposure to avoid any shakes. I believe Olympus shows a liveview with the exposure as it develops which is pretty cool.

I think I am going to off load all my Canon stuff this summer, looking for pretty direct replacements, i need similar to these.

Sigma 20/1.4 Art to ???
100/2.8 Macro L to 90/2.8 G
135/2.0 L to 135/1.8 GM or Sigma Art

The zooms not critical, honestly I seldom use them, but I'd like to replace the 16mm end though, that is useful sometimes.

16-35/2.8L
24-70/2.8L

I had two examples of the 24-70GM and I wasn't happy with either for the cost. I had one copy of the 24-105 and thought it was as sharp but with more focal length and a lot cheaper. I have since sold my 24-70 & 16-35 in place of primes and I would never go back. I now use 24mm gm, 55mm 1.8, 85mm gm & 90mm plus the 100-400, I haven't even used my 70-200 gm for a few month :(

I had two examples of the 24-70GM and I wasn't happy with either for the cost. I had one copy of the 24-105 and thought it was as sharp but with more focal length and a lot cheaper. I have since sold my 24-70 & 16-35 in place of primes and I would never go back. I now use 24mm gm, 55mm 1.8, 85mm gm & 90mm plus the 100-400, I haven't even used my 70-200 gm for a few month :(

I owned a 70-200 but never used it in a wedding.....that's a lie, my very first one i rented one, found that the photos although were nice portraits, they lack context, lack story. Just nice photos, nice passport photos, not nice wedding photos.

After about 6 weddings I migrated to 100% primes, 35/85 but i like having the 2.8 zooms in the bag as a security blanket.

I owned a 70-200 but never used it in a wedding.....that's a lie, my very first one i rented one, found that the photos although were nice portraits, they lack context, lack story. Just nice photos, nice passport photos, not nice wedding photos.

After about 6 weddings I migrated to 100% primes, 35/85 but i like having the 2.8 zooms in the bag as a security blanket.

A 70-200 works very well for outdoor ceremonies and large cathedrals.

It’s designed to only work on cats and dogs at the moment.
Well it worked well on my last trip to the safari zoo, the parrot above and the others in that area all had a tiny green square on their eye when using it :)

Well it worked well on my last trip to the safari zoo, the parrot above and the others in that area all had a tiny green square on their eye when using it :)

I found eye AF worked quite well on birds and this was on the A9 which doesn't have animal eye AF yet.

Makes me wonder about the future of Nikon if they've messed this up badly.

If they can't make it with the D850 being their cheerleader just what will it take?

Seems to be a common problem with Nikon, had the same thing happen on a D810 which I was reasonably gentle with but even though it's sloppy it's easy to ignore something so minor when it does everything else right.

Back