The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sorry to interrupt whatever this is (male time of the month?) but I’m after an ultra wide prime lens, 14-18mm f2 or faster, and wanted some suggestions/owner feedback. I have a budget of £500 max and happy to go secondhand to get more for my money.

Sorry to interrupt whatever this is (male time of the month?) but I’m after an ultra wide prime lens, 14-18mm f2 or faster, and wanted some suggestions/owner feedback. I have a budget of £500 max and happy to go secondhand to get more for my money.

The Samyang 14/2.8 (almost!) fits the bill. Bit of distortion that can be corrected but very sharp across the frame.

When you go that wide you barely need AF, what about the Samyang 14mm 2.8?

steve just beat me to it there, seems like a good option, below budget too

Last edited:

I bought a Laowa 15mm f2 from here over Christmas and have really liked it. It's a very good lens.
You might be able to get one slightly over £500 used. I'd sell you mine but I have nothing to replace it with at the moment and new tamron is no where in sight.

There is a lack of those tbh every manufacturer seems focused on numerous 50mm and 85mm’s.

There is the Batis 18mm but it’s probably out of budget.

There is also the Samyang mentioned above and the Laowa 15mm.

Zeiss have so nice manual focus wide primes but they can be pricey.

Lost of bluebells here, I'm hoping I can get an hour out tomorrow to at least take a few pictures of the ones on the walk to the shops :D

Thanks for the suggestions on the ultra wide. The Samyang looks ideal but it’s 2.8. I want something faster to do night landscape and have a dabble in astro. The Laowa is a good shout to try out - if it becomes my thing, I don’t mind spending more for a Zeiss etc.

I bought a Laowa 15mm f2 from here over Christmas and have really liked it. It's a very good lens.
You might be able to get one slightly over £500 used. I'd sell you mine but I have nothing to replace it with at the moment and new tamron is no where in sight.

You sure you don’t want to sell it? [emoji4]

Why would you want to replace it? Is it lacking in any particular area?

You sure you don’t want to sell it? [emoji4]

Why would you want to replace it? Is it lacking in any particular area?

Nope it's brilliant. But I change lenses often just because I like to try new things and severe GAS problem :D
Same reason I bought your 85GM ;)

I have got a trip planned in 2 weeks time for 10 days. If you can hold on for about 4 weeks I can sell it to you lol.

If they can't make it with the D850 being their cheerleader just what will it take?

Seems to be a common problem with Nikon, had the same thing happen on a D810 which I was reasonably gentle with but even though it's sloppy it's easy to ignore something so minor when it does everything else right.

Me too, had to replace a couple of a 750 before i sold it.

Nope it's brilliant. But I change lenses often just because I like to try new things and severe GAS problem :D
Same reason I bought your 85GM ;)

I have got a trip planned in 2 weeks time for 10 days. If you can hold on for about 4 weeks I can sell it to you lol.

4 weeks?! I might have switched systems by then!! I have a severe GAS problem too - already thinking about getting the 85 GM again. [emoji849]

Might be a stupid question but I’ll ask anyway.

Do you guys that shoot a lot of people/wedding togs have presets for skin tones that you automatically apply (I’m not just talking about Sony cameras, but for cameras you’ve previously owned as well).

If so, how did you perfect them?

Ps I know presets are just a starting point.

Last edited:
Might be a stupid question but I’ll ask anyway.

Do you guys that shoot a lot of people/wedding togs have presets for skin tones that you automatically apply (I’m not just talking about Sony cameras, but for cameras you’ve previously owned as well).

If so, how did you perfect them?

Ps I know presets are just a starting point.

I have a set of my own presets that I use as a starting point for wedding edits.

I have two for getting ready mono and colour, one for the ceremony & speeches and one for the portraits.

To be honest there was no process for them as such I just played about with them until I got a look I liked then when I switched to Sony I tweaked them slightly.

They are not specifically for skin tones though. They do provide a decent starting point in terms of everything having a similar look and being consistent.

Last edited:
I have a set of my own presets that I use as a starting point for wedding edits.

I have two for getting ready mono and colour, one for the ceremony & speeches and one for the portraits.

To be honest there was no process for them as such I just played about with them until I got a look I liked then when I switched to Sony I tweaked them slightly.

They are not specifically for skin tones though. They do provide a decent starting point in terms of everything having a similar look and being consistent.

Cheers, sounds like a good way of doing things.

Thanks

Fun fact: An actual council house prime is more likely to be high end, lifted off the back of a lorry but still ... :D

Good old Gary Coyle brought the council house prime terminology to us! Hope his family are doing well

Wonder when my potential new council house prime will be released.

Well, my old 35mm arrived and it took me about 20 seconds to find that the aperture blades were extremely sluggish. A pox on the seller (a shop) for wasting my time. Back it goes and a snotty review to follow.

Has there been any word yet on the Tamron 17-28 f/2.8?

I have a 16-35 f/4 but need another wide zoom for my missus and would rather not buy the same lens twice. Plus if it’s any good, I will take the Tamron and let her have the Sony. :LOL:

Has there been any word yet on the Tamron 17-28 f/2.8?

I have a 16-35 f/4 but need another wide zoom for my missus and would rather not buy the same lens twice. Plus if it’s any good, I will take the Tamron and let her have the Sony. :LOL:

Think I saw it mentioned somewhere but can’t remember where

Well, my old 35mm arrived and it took me about 20 seconds to find that the aperture blades were extremely sluggish. A pox on the seller (a shop) for wasting my time. Back it goes and a snotty review to follow.

What lens was it? I remember my old Helios 44-2 had a bit of a sticky/laggy aperture, when you changed it there was a split second delay before it would adjust fully into place. That was oil on the blades though more so than the actual ring being sluggish

What lens was it? I remember my old Helios 44-2 had a bit of a sticky/laggy aperture, when you changed it there was a split second delay before it would adjust fully into place. That was oil on the blades though more so than the actual ring being sluggish

It's just an old Minolta Rokkor.

When you adjust the aperture the blades are very lethargic and when going from minimum to maximum even more so and sometimes they don't move for 10 seconds or more, if at all. It's definitely not useable which is a shame as it's in lovely condition. I have the tools to take it apart but if something goes wrong I'll be stuck with a paper weight so it'll have to go back.

I'm annoyed as if anyone had tested this before selling it this fault would have been immediately apparent which makes me think they knew it was faulty and hoped the buyer wouldn't notice.

YaY!!!!!

I'm going on holiday! We're off to Singapore in August. I'd rather go to Thailand but all Mrs WW family are going and Mrs WW wants me to see the place and those gardens so she's chosen Singapore. I was hoping Sony would have brought out a 35mm f1.8 but assuming it doesn't come I'll be happy enough with my A7 and 35mm f2.8 and Panny 1" jobbie.

Last time I went on hols it was a nightmare when I got back but I neeeed a holiday and I'll deal with whatever when I get back.

YaY!!!!!

I'm going on holiday! We're off to Singapore in August. I'd rather go to Thailand but all Mrs WW family are going and Mrs WW wants me to see the place and those gardens so she's chosen Singapore. I was hoping Sony would have brought out a 35mm f1.8 but assuming it doesn't come I'll be happy enough with my A7 and 35mm f2.8 and Panny 1" jobbie.

Last time I went on hols it was a nightmare when I got back but I neeeed a holiday and I'll deal with whatever when I get back.

Singapore looks amazing, with all that crazy architecture - should bag yourself some nice street shots there too

Can I just ask some advice please:

For those who have updated their A9/A7III/A7III with the 3.0 firmware, is this pretty straightforward to do and is there anything to be aware of that you didn't know before you did it?

I want to update my A7RIII but I cannot find the Sony cable to do the update and I've read that it won't work with some 3rd party cables? Looks like I'll have to buy a Sony one from their website

For those who have updated their A9/A7III/A7III with the 3.0 firmware, is this pretty straightforward to do and is there anything to be aware of that you didn't know before you did it?

I want to update my A7RIII but I cannot find the Sony cable to do the update and I've read that it won't work with some 3rd party cables? Looks like I'll have to buy a Sony one from their website

sounds like a cunning plan..
updated my a9 with a usb out of the drawer. no issues.

You can usb any usb you like as long as you aren’t using a Mac.

Back