The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well spotted, I managed to resist:D, I'll wait for mine to come from Wex. I'm sure there's an interesting back story.

I am resisting very hard myself. I wonder if I can still claim warranty in UK if I buy from there....

It will it’s not even a G lens. It will be crap but cheap.

Well if that's the case I'll just use my 35mm f2.8. The only cheapo one I've tried is the 50mm macro and it was sh1t. I will not be buying another lens anything like that unmitigated pile of sh1t.

If I get really annoyed I'll just buy a Canikon which wouldn't be too painless as I'm not heavily invested in Sony.

Well if that's the case I'll just use my 35mm f2.8. The only cheapo one I've tried is the 50mm macro and it was sh1t. I will not be buying another lens anything like that unmitigated pile of sh1t.

If I get really annoyed I'll just buy a Canikon which wouldn't be too painless as I'm not heavily invested in Sony.

It is expected to be the same as the current 50mm f/1.8 so it will be rubbish but it will cheap which will suit a lot of people.

I don’t care, have zero interest in it.

Might be tempted by the Siggy f/1.2 or the rumoured G.M version.

I'll wait for the reviews and if I buy one it'll have to be on line as there isn't a camera shop near me and I suppose I do have the option of putting it back in the box and sending it straight back if it's crap.

I do wonder why they'd use that crappy tech. People have been waiting so long for this lens and I'm sure there are many who'd pay a decent price for a good one but if it's the pile of poo which I suspect it will be that'll just push more people to Canikon who have maybe worked out that you don't have to make your customers eat sh1t.

I'll wait for the reviews and if I buy one it'll have to be on line as there isn't a camera shop near me and I suppose I do have the option of putting it back in the box and sending it straight back if it's crap.

I do wonder why they'd use that crappy tech. People have been waiting so long for this lens and I'm sure there are many who'd pay a decent price for a good one but if it's the pile of poo which I suspect it will be that'll just push more people to Canikon who have maybe worked out that you don't have to make your customers eat sh1t.

To be fair the Canon & Nikon options aren’t great either and the bodies are muck.

Last edited:
To be fair the Canon & Nikon options aren’t great either and the bodies are muck.

But at least they've come out of the blocks with something it's taken Sony how many years not to produce yet?

If the Canonkon ones are rubbish I'm just astounded that none of these companies can produce a decent example of what has for decades been a staple lens.

Oh, well... MFT it is as they have an excellent 17mm f1.8 :D

But at least they've come out of the blocks with something it's taken Sony how many years not to produce yet?

If the Canonkon ones are rubbish I'm just astounded that none of these companies can produce a decent example of what has for decades been a staple lens.

Oh, well... MFT it is as they have an excellent 17mm f1.8 :D

I don’t think Sony see it as being that important they are very much aiming there products at the higher end of the market and there are a few options and more to come for that.

There is huge profit in higher end lenses, much less in cheap lenses and very little in bodies.

Last edited:

The canikon ones are crap too mate.

So long as the sony one is no worse than the canikon. What's the problem?

Nothing wrong with cheap lenses. I can take a mighty fine image with the 50mm 1.8 and its crappy AF.

I took many a fine image with the Nikon 50mm 1.8.

If you cant take a decent image with cheap glass... get an iphone*

*other camera phones are available.

What's wrong with the 50mm 1.8? Nowt wrong with the one in my bag, AF hasn't failed at a wedding or capturing my insane 4 year old yet.

What's wrong with the 50mm 1.8? Nowt wrong with the one in my bag, AF hasn't failed at a wedding or capturing my insane 4 year old yet.

Nothing wrong for me - has had a few minor hunting issues is low low light but can't complain considering the size, weight and price!

The crappy AF as JJ says himself while at the same time praising the lens. This seems to be how users summarise it, cracking optics, stinking AF. I know it would do the job for me as I don't photograph anything particularly fast moving and I can MF faster than some lenses can AF

Nothing wrong for me - has had a few minor hunting issues is low low light but can't complain considering the size, weight and price!

The price when choosing a lens will for sure be of interest for some but not everyone. Like a lot of these discussions on lens I.Q & A.F performance someone will take the hump to defend their purchasing decision.

The simple truth is that of all the 50mm e-mount lenses available, if they where all the same price, there wouldn’t be many people that would choose the 50mm f/1.8.

It will likely be the same with the cheap 35mm f/1.8 when it becomes available. The same thing applies to Samyang lenses and the other cheaper options.

Nothing wrong with that, everyone has a budget to work with. Because I mainly buy stuff for work the price doesn’t really be a major consideration and more expensive isn’t always better. I chose the Siggy 35mm over the Zeiss because I preferred it not because it was cheaper as an example.

Some people prefer the 85mm f/1.8 because it is lighter and has faster a.f than the G.M.

When it comes to what is available in terms of 50mm lenses though the Sony cheapy is by far the poorest performer.

Last edited:
I ordered the 24mm 1.4 today, I am curious to how I will find it compared to the Leica Q2. I will give it a spin on the streets of London.

I also keep checking out the 135mm f1.8, but I should save my pennies for the A9II.

It hasn't got a GM badge or even a G badge so it's automatically s***e apparently......

I ordered the 24mm 1.4 today, I am curious to how I will find it compared to the Leica Q2. I will give it a spin on the streets of London.

I also keep checking out the 135mm f1.8, but I should save my pennies for the A9II.

Would definitely want both of these but the bank account says no...:eek:

Does a Sony 70-200 track focus as fast and as accurately as the 85mm f/1.8.

I'm really enjoying my Canon 70-200 on my A7 III and focus is fast and accurate for photos and no complaints at all with IQ. Obviously a native lens would track better during a burst than the Canon lens adapted I wonder how the Sony 70-200's would track compared to the 85mm?

Does a Sony 70-200 track focus as fast and as accurately as the 85mm f/1.8.

I'm really enjoying my Canon 70-200 on my A7 III and focus is fast and accurate for photos and no complaints at all with IQ. Obviously a native lens would track better during a burst than the Canon lens adapted I wonder how the Sony 70-200's would track compared to the 85mm?
The 85mm f1.8 is one of the fastest lenses I have used.
Tracking with 70-200mm is also very fast and accurate. It has been designed for sports shooting.

The canikon ones are crap too mate.

So long as the sony one is no worse than the canikon. What's the problem?

I'm just worried because the 50mm f2.8 was complete sh1t and I sent it back. I don't want a lens that's slow and hunts like that macro, I'd rather look at other options.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with cheap lenses. I can take a mighty fine image with the 50mm 1.8 and its crappy AF.

I took many a fine image with the Nikon 50mm 1.8.

If you cant take a decent image with cheap glass... get an iphone*

*other camera phones are available.

Cheaky git! :D

Yes a slow lens will take pictures but I have quite a few manual lenses that I can use if I want to take my time so I see no point in paying hundreds for a crappy piece of sh1t that'll have me wishing I'd mounted my AF f2.8 or my manual f1.8 or f1.4.

I dunno, I love the Sigma Art output as much as the next guy but money no object I wouldn’t fill my bag with them again (I made that mistake hiking 60+ miles in Hong Kong, I wouldn’t do it again!) The Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art is my favourite lens (ever) but I don’t actually own one anymore. Similar situation with the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and Sony GM 24-70mm 2.8, I’ve used both and I wouldn’t now swap my Tamron for the Sony even though technically the Tamron is an ‘inferior’ lens in pretty much every way.

The 55mm 1.8 kinda kills that argument with the FE 50mm 1.8 (I have both) as it’s small, light and amazing. But I’ve personally never really warmed to the output from the Zeiss, it’s possibly too clinical..?

I dunno, I love the Sigma Art output as much as the next guy but money no object I wouldn’t fill my bag with them again (I made that mistake hiking 60+ miles in Hong Kong, I wouldn’t do it again!) The Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art is my favourite lens (ever) but I don’t actually own one anymore. Similar situation with the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and Sony GM 24-70mm 2.8, I’ve used both and I wouldn’t now swap my Tamron for the Sony even though technically the Tamron is an ‘inferior’ lens in pretty much every way.

The 55mm 1.8 kinda kills that argument with the FE 50mm 1.8 (I have both) as it’s small, light and amazing. But I’ve personally never really warmed to the output from the Zeiss, it’s possibly too clinical..?
Personally prefer Zeiss 55 rendering to sigma ART 50. Also prefer Zeiss 35 to ART 35. The micro-contrast and rendering from Zeiss lenses are something that kept me with Sony and I still like it. Though currently I don't own any Sony Zeiss lenses.

I know what you mean, I was going to pick up the 55mm F1.8 for when I wanted a smaller setup, but after looking into it I'm going to grab a 50mm f1.8 instead. Just waiting for another price drop on it, hopefully something on Prime day...

looks very interesting. Think I may go along. But if it gets over crowded I am not sure if its worth it at that point!

I’d be interested in going myself, but it’s a 3hr journey for me, not a problem, however wouldn’t really like to be sitting around waiting to have a play for most of the shoot, Has anyone been to one been before and are they well attended ???

Last edited:
This is as close as I get to street or pictures of strangers :D

A7 and 35mm f2.8.

wSQB78j.jpg

Mrs WW, one to send to her mam :D

Gwe08E2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the 55mm f1.8 but I'm convinced I can see the extra 5mm over 50mm. I often prefer my film era 50mm's for the way the look they give but I wouldn't call the 55mm clinical, it is though IMO just very good.

Back