The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I’d be interested in going myself, but it’s a 3hr journey for me, not a problem, however wouldn’t really like to be sitting around waiting to have a play for most of the shoot, Has anyone been to one been before and are they well attended ???
I thought the same, it's a 140mile drive as well.

The drive isn't too bad for me, around 60 miles or 90 minutes. But I don't like being stuck in long queues with nothing to do. Then again if I can get there early I might be able to get in and out quickly before the crowds arrive :D
I really want to try the 200-600mm I am not sure if it's for me because of the size and potential slower AF.

No don't know of any close to London tbh. The closest one I know of now is the one in Bewdley in Worcester. My main concern going there is I am not sure if the field will still be alive this weekend and/or next.

There maybe some at Hitchin close to the lavender farm, also some in Surrey and Kent for sure. I went pass a huge field by A1 close to Wittering Airfield last Saturday, sadly it is a bit further reach.

The drive isn't too bad for me, around 60 miles or 90 minutes. But I don't like being stuck in long queues with nothing to do. Then again if I can get there early I might be able to get in and out quickly before the crowds arrive :D
I really want to try the 200-600mm I am not sure if it's for me because of the size and potential slower AF.

Yeah, the 200-600 being there was what perked my interest :D

There maybe some at Hitchin close to the lavender farm, also some in Surrey and Kent for sure. I went pass a huge field by A1 close to Wittering Airfield last Saturday, sadly it is a bit further reach.

Not sure how to find them that's the problem (especially for the ones in Surrey and Kent which would be ideal and close by). Wittering Airfield is about the same distance as Bewdley though and I have the exact location for that.

A9 with 1.4 TC on the 100-400 and shot some butterflies and damselflies - nice pseudo macro

65318099_10162222679220227_679516744519254016_o.jpg

65938212_10162222678935227_3600675812442898432_o.jpg

65225233_10162222678945227_2603880462149484544_o.jpg

I thought the same, it's a 140mile drive as well.
I’d be interested in going myself, but it’s a 3hr journey for me, not a problem, however wouldn’t really like to be sitting around waiting to have a play for most of the shoot, Has anyone been to one been before and are they well attended ???
I have decided to go along. I'll set off at 7am to get there for 8.30am and hope for the best.

No don't know of any close to London tbh. The closest one I know of now is the one in Bewdley in Worcester. My main concern going there is I am not sure if the field will still be alive this weekend and/or next.

It should ok, some friends were there today and its still good, if you want me to go and check for you Saturday I can do by all means it’s not far from where I live..

Cheaky git! :D

Yes a slow lens will take pictures but I have quite a few manual lenses that I can use if I want to take my time so I see no point in paying hundreds for a crappy piece of sh1t that'll have me wishing I'd mounted my AF f2.8 or my manual f1.8 or f1.4.

:p I was using the 50 last night actually. I want a 35 instead now. I think I'm going to have to go for the Samyang again!

After all this about the 35mm f1.8 being a cheaper lens possibly with a poor focusing mechanism I'm back to thinking there's nothing I want to buy now apart from that 100-400mm MFT lens. Actually another thing, I bought a Hadley Pro and I wish I'd bought the larger one.

After all this about the 35mm f1.8 being a cheaper lens possibly with a poor focusing mechanism I'm back to thinking there's nothing I want to buy now apart from that 100-400mm MFT lens. Actually another thing, I bought a Hadley Pro and I wish I'd bought the larger one.
Why are you assuming it'll have poor focussing. I don't think it'll. It'll be the same as FE85 I think.

It should ok, some friends were there today and its still good, if you want me to go and check for you Saturday I can do by all means it’s not far from where I live..
Amazeballs!
That'd be very helpful thank you, if it's not too much trouble :)

Why are you assuming it'll have poor focussing. I don't think it'll. It'll be the same as FE85 I think.

Just the talk on here and the performance of the 50mm lenses which I think have the cheaper focusing mechanisms and that Gosh awful 50mm macro I had for a day and sent back.

I'm hoping it'll be as good as the 55 and 85mm f1.8's but even those are a bit leisurely at least on my A7 although I expect they might be quicker on newer cameras.

Just the talk on here and the performance of the 50mm lenses which I think have the cheaper focusing mechanisms and that Gosh awful 50mm macro I had for a day and sent back.

I'm hoping it'll be as good as the 55 and 85mm f1.8's but even those are a bit leisurely at least on my A7 although I expect they might be quicker on newer cameras.
When you gunna upgrade your ancient body! We all need to see you own a A9 and have a large grin in your face whenever u use it hehe

When you gunna upgrade your ancient body! We all need to see you own a A9 and have a large grin in your face whenever u use it hehe

Buying a new camera would just be mostly just gas. All I want is a FF camera to take day out and holiday pictures, posed and casual pictures of my family and people in my life and flower shots and stuff like that. These uses aren't necessarily all that taxing and if I want to take the odd action picture I can go zone or hyperfocal but I do like FF because I can use old lenses at their original focal length. More DR would always be nice for harsh light but many people don't seen to care about having large blown areas in their pictures so why should I :D

That's pants range for a zoom, wouldn't you be as well off with a 20mm prime?

I have a 20mm prime, and a 24mm prime....

17-28 is useful because....for a wide group shot, or a tight room, the wide end is useful, it is also useful when space is limited and i can just take 1 lens.

It is also a useful back up lens for the 20 and 24mm.

Not really. 20mm prime sucks at both 17mm and at 28mm :p
and please don't tell me I can just zoom with my feet because that's pants :D

Just zoom with your feet though - something you'll never find me say, but in this case it actually fits.

I forgot this is the wedding thread ... seriously, the difference is a few steps whether you like it or not.

Isn't there already a 17-35? or should be

Just zoom with your feet though - something you'll never find me say, but in this case it actually fits.

I forgot this is the wedding thread ... seriously, the difference is a few steps whether you like it or not.

Difference isn't a few steps tbh, the perspectives are vastly different between 17mm end and 28mm end. A 20mm prime would make for a poor 17mm and 28mm.

In fact even 17mm is borderline for me I prefer 15-16mm. Regardless sometimes few steps means jumping off a cliff lol :D

There isn't a 17-35mm for Sony. There are two 16-35mm lenses by Sony.

There isn't a 17-35mm for Sony. There are two 16-35mm lenses by Sony.

Even better, that 1mm will save you some steps :D

If this exists, why are we excited about something lesser? Is it this new lens GAS thing again?

I mean, I see people falling over themselves for the 200-600, people who've never shot wildlife or sports suddenly 'need' this lens - is there not a bit of this at the wide end too?

Last edited:
Even better, that 1mm will save you some steps :D

If this exists, why are we excited about something lesser? Is it this new lens GAS thing again?
Nah not GAS (at least not entirely). it's smaller than others zoom options and still a f2.8. initial review suggests it's at least as good as Sony 16-35GM which is currently the best UWA zoom and it's cheaper.

My main reservation is the 17mm isn't as wide as my current 15mm prime.

A lot of the time the use of a ultra wide isn't for style but for necessity.

I am in a hotel room shooting bridal prep, I want big frame of the room, the only way to make the room look big is an ultra wide. I can't step back anymore than i can limited by the wall behind me.

Stepping back isn't a solution. If I can step back for the shot, I wouldn't use a 17mm, I would use 35mm or even a 50mm.

Back