The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Dunno what ec does with a minimum shutter speed set but I'd assume it changes the shutter speed until it can't go lower and then changes the ISO?

I can't remember what it alters first in aperture mode, shutter or ISO, but I'd assume shutter. The way I use it in manual with a set aperture and shutter speed it changes the ISO.

A few moments playing with the camera will no doubt answer all questions.

I honestly don't even know what the EC dial does (or rather, how it does it). I mostly shoot aperture priority with a minimum shutter speed set in Auto ISO, I can comfortably get through 90% of a wedding just riding the aperture control dial and never thinking about anything else. If I took the EV down to - 1 which variable does it override or prioritise, particularly if shooting full manual where I've defined those variables?

This is how I shoot. Guessing it'd be shutter speed if it's in the area that you've defined. Or if not then ISO.

Anyone going to the bird of prey event in Nottingham tomorrow morning?? Being held by LCE

I honestly don't even know what the EC dial does (or rather, how it does it). I mostly shoot aperture priority with a minimum shutter speed set in Auto ISO, I can comfortably get through 90% of a wedding just riding the aperture control dial and never thinking about anything else. If I took the EV down to - 1 which variable does it override or prioritise, particularly if shooting full manual where I've defined those variables?

Are you actually being serious, you are shooting weddings professionally and you don’t know what exposure compensation is and what the dial does?

:oops: :$

Are you actually being serious, you are shooting weddings professionally and you don’t know what exposure compensation is and what the dial does?

Does it matter if he uses a different technique to change exposure?

As far as I was aware it overrides the cameras metering value. Normally I use it if I know the scene will likely cause the camera to meter incorrectly. Snow is a good example. The camera with underexpose the image due to all of the white snow. Therefore I add positive exposure compensation of between 1-2 stops to get the Snow White rather than grey.

Does it matter if he uses a different technique to change exposure?
I don't use it either but I know what it does. Not hard to figure it out tbh.

I just wish they'd let us override the default to set the dial to so something else.

I don't use it either but I know what it does. Not hard to figure it out tbh.

I just wish they'd let us override the default to set the dial to so something else.

If it doesn’t effect the way he shoots or his bookings it doesn’t matter. Does knowing what exp comp qualify someone to be pro?

It took me a while to understand exposure compensation but I realised that exposure being a 3 legged thing if I'm in manual and set aperture and shutter speed then being in auto ISO it must be the ISO that's changed by EC........................... isn't it?:D

Last edited:
It took me a while to understand exposure compensation but I realised that exposure being a 3 legged thing if I'm in manual and set aperture and shutter speed then being in auto ISO it must be the ISO that's changed by EC........................... isn't it?:D
Yep only the ISO should change as everything else is fixed. In full manual where you set all three settings exposure compensation won’t work as the camera isn’t choosing any of the exposure values. Exposure compensation just let’s you overide any exposure values the camera metering is choosing but a + or - whatever exposure compensation you have dialled in. Camera metering isn't infallible, it can meter scenes wrong because it’s trying to get a neutral 19% grey tone. If you are trying photograph high key or backlit scenes it’s very useful to over ride the cameras metering settings.

Last edited:

I know what it does but I've never paid any attention to how it does it. I would have assumed ISO but as I've been shooting in the age of Auto ISO and insane high ISO performance I've been fortunate enough to never really need to worry about that for the majority of my shooting.

I know exactly what I need from my camera 100% of the time so I'm not sure what the problem is anyhow? Photography has never been a technical pursuit for me, even shooting motorsport where I'm instinctively riding loads of manual controls (far more than at weddings).

I ride that exp comp dial like a rabbit on heat.

:LOL:

I use mine a lot TBH! Shooting equestrian in various different indoor lights wheer you are already at 2.8 it has come in very handy - I like having it right there by the controls to adjust on the fly.

For a mixture of landscape and the occasional wedding (5-6 per year) -

2 x A7III

or

1 x A7III and 1 x A7RII (I do like the idea of A7RII for the crop-ability with decent res to bang an 85mm on at weddings)

With the second set up I'd probably leave the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 on the A7III and use that for most of the day.

Last edited:

2 x A7III

or

1 x A7III and 1 x A7RII (I do like the idea of A7RII for the crop-ability with decent res to bang an 85mm on at weddings)

With the second set up I'd probably leave the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 on the A7III and use that for most of the day.

my dream combo would be A9+A7RIII but that costs a lot.
if you can stretch a bit further for a used A7RIII, I'd would with that to compliment A7III. One of the issues going with A7RII is you'd have to maintain two different set of batteries.

my dream combo would be A9+A7RIII but that costs a lot.
if you can stretch a bit further for a used A7RIII, I'd would with that to compliment A7III. One of the issues going with A7RII is you'd have to maintain two different set of batteries.

That’s true. Unfortunately A7riii is out of reach.

Two sets of batteries is a pain but I have about 12 of the A7rii batteries at home. Biggest concern is colours to be honest.

That’s true. Unfortunately A7riii is out of reach.

Two sets of batteries is a pain but I have about 12 of the A7rii batteries at home. Biggest concern is colours to be honest.

If you shoot RAW, which I imagine you would for weddings, then it shouldn't be too hard match the images up in post? You could always specifically use the A7RII for your B&W images?

2 x A7III

or

2x a7iii

If you shoot RAW, which I imagine you would for weddings, then it shouldn't be too hard match the images up in post? You could always specifically use the A7RII for your B&W images?

Yeah not a bad shout to be honest. I like the idea of two of the same body but using it only 5-6 times per year it’s a tough one. It would be for some video as well though.

Yeah not a bad shout to be honest. I like the idea of two of the same body but using it only 5-6 times per year it’s a tough one. It would be for some video as well though.
Why not consider something different like RX1RII or A6400 which would give other benefits as well as act as a second body.

If an A7RIII is beyond budget then an RX1RII certainly is.

May be not quite. You have to remember RX1RII is not just a body it also comes with a lens. I sold my 35mm prime to free up some funds
So it didn't turn out to be as expensive.
Of course OPs situation might be different, I was just throwing in some ideas :)

May be not quite. You have to remember RX1RII is not just a body it also comes with a lens. I sold my 35mm prime to free up some funds
So it didn't turn out to be as expensive.
Of course OPs situation might be different, I was just throwing in some ideas :)

No doubt it's a very nice all in one package, but £3K?? yikes! You can get an A7RIII and a pretty nice lens for that and have the option to add more versatility

No doubt it's a very nice all in one package, but £3K?? yikes! You can get an A7RIII and a pretty nice lens for that and have the option to add more versatility
I bought it used and it cost me sightly more than a used A7RII+sigma ART 35. But I got a fair number of useful extra that made up for the little extra I paid.
I already have an A7Riii and I wanted a small body. I had LX100 previously, followed by LX100ii. I have really liked the 24-105mm lens so LX100(ii) wasn't complimentary. I toyed around with the idea of GRiii but lack of EVF worried me so I went with the RX1RII. I always wanted a small 35mm prime which Sony never released so this fits in nicely.

Last edited:
If you can get the right deal, sure it's a good alternative, but I've see the A7RIII go for a little less than £2K and that leaves you plenty enough for a couple of nice primes or one very nice one. For video I think a zoom is a better option though too

If you can get the right deal, sure it's a good alternative, but I've see the A7RIII go for a little less than £2K and that leaves you plenty enough for a couple of nice primes or one very nice one. For video I think a zoom is a better option though too

Indeed. I have still a lx15 which gets used mostly for video. Also love the fact it starts at f1.4 instead of f1.8 like the rest of 1" bodies.
The new canon G5xii looks interesting with its 24-120mm lens.

How do you find the RX1 for responsiveness and focusing? Some reviews say it's slow.

I've always fancied the idea of one but I doubt I'll ever have one.

Back