The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-a7r-iv-digital-camera-body-1709456/

£3499 from Wex.

It will drop in price in time.

What's interesting is you can get an A7R2 for £1599 - which to me seems a pretty good deal.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-alpha-a7r-mark-ii-digital-camera-body-1575237/

I'd be tempted to get 2x A7R2's and leave attached my most used lens on one and second most used on the other. Also gives some inbuilt redundancy to my system. 42mp is not to be sniffed at either :D

If going that route I would get grey market R3 models @ £1699 so still cheaper for 2x than one R4 https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3470/sony_alpha_a7r_iii_mirrorless_digital_camera_body_only

The Siggy Art 35mm f/1.4 for Nikon was only £300 odd quid on Amazon earlier and Currys have it for under £330.

They where £600 yesterday.

Camera equipment isn't an investment when you buy something these days with so many fast paced changes it is basically dead money.

You have left it too late.

Assuming that no one is taking a loss selling these things it makes you wonder at what price these things are leaving the factory.

Assuming that no one is taking a loss selling these things it makes you wonder at what price these things are leaving the factory.

There is huge margin on lenses.

Bodies make very little margin.

A Nikon rep years ago told me that lenses make anywhere from about 50-70% margin. Camera bodies make between 10-12%.

That was a fair few years ago but I would imagine it hasn’t changed much. Then you obviously have the retailer mark up as well.

Bear in mind when there is large reductions they are usually manufacturer funded. When there is a big price cut the manufacturer pays back the retailer.

I worked in retail many years ago and my employer at the time averaged about 10% margin on bodies and 20% on lenses.

Last edited:
If going that route I would get grey market R3 models @ £1699 so still cheaper for 2x than one R4 https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3470/sony_alpha_a7r_iii_mirrorless_digital_camera_body_only
Good find and a great great price.

Stop it.

There's no point me buying anything really, I'm so busy and just sooooo tired. I might have an hour or so off tomorrow and I was thinking about going for a walk with my A7 and maybe my Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.7 which is a bit of a favourite at the moment but I'm just shattered.

Last edited:
Good find and a great great price.

Thinking about making the switch? Looked at lens options? From what Ive seen you mostly shoot landscapes and would be well covered or could use Nikon adapted with MF and focus magnification as a stop gap.

Last edited:
One of my friends was a manager in Currys and used to get their clearance list and we would get bargains, but one day he showed us a different list that had the cost to store and a set of the Beats Studio Headphones that commonly sell for £199rrp cost £26 each to the store...

Most of the stores operate at around 20% Margin on average.

Thinking about making the switch? Looked at lens options? From what Ive seen you mostly shoot landscapes and would be well covered or could use Nikon adapted with MF and focus magnification as a stop gap.

At some point maybe - once my D810s give out as to move to the Z series will require an adapter to use my lenses and in all likelihood I’ll buy d850 or sell everything and just buy into a new system and get the ART primes remounted as Sigma can do that.

I’m not convinced Nikon have really done a great job on the Z bodies and in the next 7 years SLRs might not be replaced. Sony seem to be leading the way with these things and I felt the a7r3 isn’t a shabby tool at all

Last edited:
At some point maybe - once my D810s give out as to move to the Z series will require an adapter to use my lenses and in all likelihood I’ll buy d850 or sell everything and just buy into a new system and get the ART primes remounted as Sigma can do that.

I’m not convinced Nikon have really done a great job on the Z bodies and in the next 7 years SLRs might not be replaced. Sony seem to be leading the way with these things and I felt the a7r3 isn’t a shabby tool at all

Remounting is really expensive, better option would likely be to sell and buy native new again at same/very similar cost and take advantage of the additional warranty... unless you have some of the very expensive art primes then it may not quite work out as effectively.

Remounting is really expensive, better option would likely be to sell and buy native new again at same/very similar cost and take advantage of the additional warranty... unless you have some of the very expensive art primes then it may not quite work out as effectively.

Or that.

It’s years off. It’s just interesting to see how the systems developing.

Although Nikon use Sony sensors it’s clear Sony now are keeping the latest and best to themselves. 60.1mp...

Suddenly my d810s really seem like yesterday’s cameras.

Or that.

Although Nikon use Sony sensors it’s clear Sony now are keeping the latest and best to themselves. 60.1mp...

According to Nikon Rumours site, Sony & Nikon have already signed an agreement to supply Nikon with 60Mp sensors.. Sony still make money from Nikons fan base.... why not....

Or that.

Yeah, its finally there for me, but I am very demanding of AF. Ive been using E mount alongside other MILCs since about 2011 as secondary cameras alongside my DSLR Nikons and a few Canons. The A7r2 was when I kinda knew that the 3rd gen was going to be amazing and finally on par/exceed DSLR in terms of AF, sensor wise it was already incredible. Its been interesting being a guinea pig with MILC cameras and being lucky enough to use so many over the years and experiencing the technology mature.

According to Nikon Rumours site, Sony & Nikon have already signed an agreement to supply Nikon with 60Mp sensors.. Sony still make money from Nikons fan base.... why not....

Its been a good partnership for both and in the interest of the consumer.

Really in 2 minds about the 50 1.8, whether to keep or return. Love the sharpness, hate the bokeh and the miss-hit-miss and incredibly slow focussing. Went for a short photographic walk at lunchtime with quite mixed results, and I could use it but don't feel I could ever trust it to focus accurately for eye AF or critical point focus - which is the point, really.

Maybe I'm just going to return it.

Really in 2 minds about the 50 1.8, whether to keep or return. Love the sharpness, hate the bokeh and the miss-hit-miss and incredibly slow focussing. Went for a short photographic walk at lunchtime with quite mixed results, and I could use it but don't feel I could ever trust it to focus accurately for eye AF or critical point focus - which is the point, really.

Did you check for an update? Supposedly better than it was with the update, I tried my friends and thought AFS was okay, on par with Nikons 50 1.8g, neither really great in AFC.

Last edited:

Mine arrived today, not tried it yet. Will try and get out with it tomorrow.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-a7r-iv-digital-camera-body-1709456/

£3499 from Wex.

It will drop in price in time.

What's interesting is you can get an A7R2 for £1599 - which to me seems a pretty good deal.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-alpha-a7r-mark-ii-digital-camera-body-1575237/

I'd be tempted to get 2x A7R2's and leave attached my most used lens on one and second most used on the other. Also gives some inbuilt redundancy to my system. 42mp is not to be sniffed at either :D

If I want another Sony body, I'd rather go with A7RIII as I have A9 to keep my batteries manageable. But A7R4 is so tempting, grrr.... I think I'll wait until Year end and see what Canon has to offer.

Time to get rid of that Nikon and Olympus Snerks :D
As you know it's only the ergonomics that's stopped me buying into the Sony system, shame as there's no doubt which ones are the better cameras in terms of performance :( I'll always need a lighter system, more now than ever, so the Olympus is here to stay regardless :smashin:

I wouldnt worry too much about keeping it for a while. I bought a lens in February from Amazon.

I messaged them yesterday and said I didn’t like it and wanted to return it. Surprisingly they agreed and I posted it back to them yesterday afternoon. The refund hit my account about an hour ago.

If you were to get one Sony Portrait lens which one would it be?

I don't do portraits very often but have done more in the past couple of months than I have in years. I quit like the 56mm 1.2 on my Fuji so thinking maybe an 85mm on the Sony A7RIV/9? I don't want to go over the top price wise but don't want to get a cheaper version just to be sorry immediately after.

I don't do portraits very often but have done more in the past couple of months than I have in years. I quit like the 56mm 1.2 on my Fuji so thinking maybe an 85mm on the Sony A7RIV/9? I don't want to go over the top price wise but don't want to get a cheaper version just to be sorry immediately after.

Want the best 85? Get the 85 1.4 gm, if you can handle the weight then the 85 art, can’t stretch, get the 85 1.8.

I take portraits with a 35 mostly but sometimes at 85.

Last edited:

If I was buying a lens purely for portraits I would get the 135mm GM.

Sigma 85/1,4 if you can stand the size.
Sony 85/1.4 GM if you have the dough
Sony 85/1.8 if you want to go best bang for buck (and fastest AF speed)

Sigma 105/1.4 Art would be my left field choice

The Sony 85mm f1.8 is quite a nice lens. It seems to be sharp enough from wide opening, it's quite quick to focus and it's relatively compact and light. The only question mark for me is the bokeh which can be a bit swirly and funky with the wrong background. It's worth researching though.

I think my favourite lens for a posed portrait is my Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 which has its own look even when stopped down.

Last edited:

I love the Sony 85mm f/1.8, all the 85's are decent performers it seems. Sony f/1.4, Samyang f/1.4, Batis f/1.8 and Sigma Art f/1.4

Some will say the bokeh has too much 'character' on the Sony f/1.8 but i've only really noticed craziness with really busy backgrounds.

If you want native 85 there are only two choices the 1.8FE or the 1.4GM. Though 85 is my favourite lens I decided after switching to go for the FE. It’s small,light and ridiculously fast and accurate to focus.
I shot my daughters school long and high jump with it and had very few misses, maybe a95%hit rate.

I came from using the Nikon 1.4G and yes the bokeh isn’t any where near as nice and it doesn’t do 1.4 but it cost 1/3 or the price of the GM.
I’ve realised this is a money losing game and didn’t want to spend that much for the lens to be worth nothing in a few years.
I learnt that lesson with the Nikon.
If your making money from it it’s less of a concern I guess.

If not native you could look at the sigma (huge and heavy ) or the rokinon 85 1.4 but it get mixed reviews on AF

Last edited:

Hey Toni, I just had a play around with my 50 1.8 I'm experiencing really quite fast and accurate AF in continuous AF in both wide and flexible point. Using on my A7 III with latest firmware and lens already has ver.03 on it out of the box. I'll give it a proper try tomorrow in some daylight and report back.

I love the Sony 85mm f/1.8, all the 85's are decent performers it seems. Sony f/1.4, Samyang f/1.4, Batis f/1.8 and Sigma Art f/1.4

Some will say the bokeh has too much 'character' on the Sony f/1.8 but i've only really noticed craziness with really busy backgrounds.

The 85mm 1.8 is awesome. Got an itch for the GM but managing to stay strong at the moment!

All 85mm options on Sony are good (I haven't used the viltrox so can't comment on that one)

Samyang AF 85mm f1.4 has a slightly choppy AF performance but it's still an improvement compared to the Fuji 56mm f1.2.

Might be worth waiting a couple months before getting A9. There are rumours that there'll will be an A9ii which will cause drop in price of the A9.

Thanks all who replied. The Sony 85mm f1.8 is only £599! is it really that good for that price? that's much cheaper than I expected but I guess at that price you can't go wrong. I will check out what people have said about the bokeh though.

Thanks all who replied. The Sony 85mm f1.8 is only £599! is it really that good for that price? that's much cheaper than I expected but I guess at that price you can't go wrong. I will check out what people have said about the bokeh though.

It performs amazingly well. approx £400 on grey import

All 85mm options on Sony are good (I haven't used the viltrox so can't comment on that one)

Samyang AF 85mm f1.4 has a slightly choppy AF performance but it's still an improvement compared to the Fuji 56mm f1.2.

Might be worth waiting a couple months before getting A9. There are rumours that there'll will be an A9ii which will cause drop in price of the A9.

I found Fuji pretty good but granted I've only used it a couple of times. As for the A9, I'm waiting on the A9ii already have the A7RIV on pre-order so will preorder the A9II if it's announced soon.

Back