The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've got thin fingers and they still rub against a lot of the lenses. Gotta love the fan boy denial in here.

You should know better than to call me a fanboy ;)
I don't consider my fingers thin and I never had this issue people mention. There are other issues like it not being as comfortable to hold as say Z6/7 but that's a different issue.

I wouldn't say anymore than the other brands. JJ is always selling and buying Sony, so is Addicknchips. People will also be upgrading from older models.

This is true. I have pretty much stuck with the A73 throughout but tried A7R3 and A9 but ultimately the A73 is the best choice. Well for me.

The A7 was purchased when money went tits up but wanted to still take pics. Now surpluses to requirements!

There appears to be a lot of similarities between Kase, Haida, Rollei and Nisi.

I'd suspect most of them are made in the same factories to the same standards although I have not tested.

That’s the one. Currently sat in the car park waiting for pitch black.

The glamour part of landscape photography haha!
I went there when we were staying in Tenby last year. The weather wasn’t great and firing range meant it was only accessible on one day. We ended up visiting just to see it. Some great bits along that coastline.

I've got thin fingers and they still rub against a lot of the lenses. Gotta love the fan boy denial in here.

I have to be honest here, until recently when I saw people complain about 'finger room' between lens and grip on certain model cameras, it's something I never once even considered. I do like a nice grip, it's up there in my top list of wants for a camera. But if I have to I'd go without ultimate grip for other superior features. I think I could learn to get along with just about any camera if packs enough of a punch in other areas, like say - in the high ISO dept or killer DR, then F the finger space. Even the em5 I mentioned being slippery and lacking grip, I would have adapted quick enough if it was the only camera I owned or was amazing in some way, you deal with. It felt worse after I'd bought the G80 to go along with, because that had a very solid grip but also did everything else just as well. Ergonomics are important, but if you can work around it, and it's 'comfy enough' plus other advantages then it might be worth taking a punt on right?

:ROFLMAO:

100x150mm for grads, 100x100 for big stoppers.
I use Lee holder, there's a new one out I think. A Lee grad but I've not used it in ages, a Lee polariser and Hitech Firecrest 16 and 6 stop NDs. TBH I don't think there is a lot in it and would just go by price.
I use Lee and would like to change to Firecrest or Kase.

If that helps :)

Thanks all, so it looks like it’s definitely the 100mm system to go for and I am leaning towards the Firecrest, probably 6 and 10 stop NDs for long exposure along with a 3 stop ND grad

Thanks all, so it looks like it’s definitely the 100mm system to go for and I am leaning towards the Firecrest, probably 6 and 10 stop NDs for long exposure along with a 3 stop ND grad
Which lenses do you use?
Personally rather use circular screw in filters. Really dislike square ones

I've been trialling an A7iii this week, and so far it's captivating me (after coming to terms with the lens sizes after using Fuji for 2 years) I decided to visit some of my favourite haunts for street stuff to compare. And I must say, after using it for a day, I got used to the size quite comfortably. (I was using a Samyang 35 f1.4)
Anyway, here's a couple of images. The second one, as always, I asked permission to take the image, and gave a donation

St Pauls by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

I've been trialling an A7iii this week, and so far it's captivating me (after coming to terms with the lens sizes after using Fuji for 2 years) I decided to visit some of my favourite haunts for street stuff to compare. And I must say, after using it for a day, I got used to the size quite comfortably. (I was using a Samyang 35 f1.4)
Anyway, here's a couple of images. The second one, as always, I asked permission to take the image, and gave a donation

Nice shots there.
It's certainly possible to reduce the size to be closer to your old Fuji setup :)

Wide as in 24. I loved the 16mm 1.4 on my Fuji
The Sony 24mm f1.4 is probably the best lens I have used. If you can afford it then you won't regret buying one.
Other options:
Batis 25mm f2 - also an excellent lens
Samyang 24mm f2.8 - very small but not sharp in corners at f2.8
Sigma ART 24mm f1.4 - big but good
Loxia 25mm f2.4 - small, sharp, with awesome rendering but MF only.

My main lenses are the 16-35mm f4 and the 100-400 GM. What do you have against the square filters?

If you have used them in the past and get along with them then by all means go for it.

They are too cumbersome, I find them more of a hindrance, expensive and easy to drop or damage them (which makes it worst).

Wide as in 24. I loved the 16mm 1.4 on my Fuji

The 16mm fuji is very hard to replace. As mentioned, The 25mm Batis is very good but doesn't focus as close as the fuji. The 24mm gm is probably the other alternative to consider. Be prepared to spend at least a grand on one though.

If you have used them in the past and get along with them then by all means go for it.

They are too cumbersome, I find them more of a hindrance, expensive and easy to drop or damage them (which makes it worst).

I've never really used them before, I bought a set of cheap Cokin P Series filters a few years ago but tbh, I've rarely used. My reason for looking now is that in the past I have tended to steer away from landscape because I've never been 100% with my images, however I've realised that the landscapes that I enjoy looking at are mainly long exposure images capturing cloud movement and nice silky smooth waters.

One option I am toying with is trying for a bit with the Smooth Reflection app to form a composite, however this will only be temporary as I am planning to upgrade to the Riv as the extra MP will be great in APSc mode for wildlife

@NickTB Looking at your two images above, I would say that the colour rendition is quite a bit different from your Fuji images, is this intentional on your part, or are you still developing 'your' Sony colour. Are you happy with them? I only say because given what you photograph and the images you have produced in the Fuji thread, I would be cautious of investing in more glass until you are 100% happy. There are users who have regretted with switch (and that applies both ways!!!)

I've never really used them before, I bought a set of cheap Cokin P Series filters a few years ago but tbh, I've rarely used. My reason for looking now is that in the past I have tended to steer away from landscape because I've never been 100% with my images, however I've realised that the landscapes that I enjoy looking at are mainly long exposure images capturing cloud movement and nice silky smooth waters.

One option I am toying with is trying for a bit with the Smooth Reflection app to form a composite, however this will only be temporary as I am planning to upgrade to the Riv as the extra MP will be great in APSc mode for wildlife

If you have access to the smooth reflections app it is definitely worth it and my preferred option because it gives you colour cast free results up to about 8 stops. not mention no loss in sharpness.

This is also my issue when I upgraded from A7RII to A7RIII. I really miss that app!

Good square filters are expensive. You will inevitably drop it down a cliff or in the sea lol!
I find them annoying to carry, setup and overall a hindrance to use. screw on filters are nicer to use imo.

@NickTB Looking at your two images above, I would say that the colour rendition is quite a bit different from your Fuji images, is this intentional on your part, or are you still developing 'your' Sony colour. Are you happy with them? I only say because given what you photograph and the images you have produced in the Fuji thread, I would be cautious of investing in more glass until you are 100% happy. There are users who have regretted with switch (and that applies both ways!!!)
This was me playing with a couple of presets I developed. I agree re the switch, I still have one of my XT3's here in case! I'm happy with the rendering for a first try of the body and lens though. Of course, I expect it (me) to improve with use though!

This was me playing with a couple of presets I developed. I agree re the switch, I still have one of my XT3's here in case! I'm happy with the rendering for a first try of the body and lens though. Of course, I expect it (me) to improve with use though!

:cool: I've got a bit of thing about colour rendering at the moment (which is why I don't particularly like my Samyang 12mm on my Fuji), even Fuji glass renders differently, the original glass especially (18/35/60).I keep looking at the Sony's as they really are the logical FF choice (from APSC-Fuji) but I'm not convinced yet, in my case on several fronts, but the main one is, for me that they don't have that 'pick me up' look of the Fuji's!! It will be interesting to see how you get on.

:cool: I've got a bit of thing about colour rendering at the moment (which is why I don't particularly like my Samyang 12mm on my Fuji), even Fuji glass renders differently, the original glass especially (18/35/60).I keep looking at the Sony's as they really are the logical FF choice (from APSC-Fuji) but I'm not convinced yet, in my case on several fronts, but the main one is, for me that they don't have that 'pick me up' look of the Fuji's!! It will be interesting to see how you get on.

All I can say is, I agree with the pick me up part. Until I Took it out yesterday! I thought my muscle memory would have a say in how I worked with the Sony, but if I'm honest after an hour I was adjusting SS/ISO/Aperture as if I'd been doing it for a lot longer. There's obviously some factors that I need to sort out (The menu and assigning functions to buttons) but I'm sure that'll come

All I can say is, I agree with the pick me up part. Until I Took it out yesterday! I thought my muscle memory would have a say in how I worked with the Sony, but if I'm honest after an hour I was adjusting SS/ISO/Aperture as if I'd been doing it for a lot longer. There's obviously some factors that I need to sort out (The menu and assigning functions to buttons) but I'm sure that'll come

front and back dial from SS & aperture. control wheel for ISO. i find it really quick for changing settings in full manual. The horrible menu can be countered by adding to the "my menu setting" tab.

Back