The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You should just keep it for when you want a lighter option even if you get the GM you will probably end up buying another one. I have bought one sold it, bought again, sold it and bought again.

Its the only way of me convincing the wife about buying the GM LMAO. Im spinning her all sorts of b******t stories about tax etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Fuji 16mm 1.4 mops the floor with the Sigma, so there's that. The Fuji 56 1.2 is more than a match for the Sigma 56 1.4 and I believe the 30mm is the weaker of those 3 but I would be confident that besides the extra stop of light the Fuji 35 F2 would at least level it. I do wish SIgma would produce lenses for Fuji though, as they would be cheaper, and they do tend to be very good.

What you gain with IQ with Fuji you lose with AF and may be also size.
It's all a compromise one way or another.

Also Sony APS-C is poo overall lol

Don’t agree with that all. I really liked the A6400 I had for a while and the Siggy lenses were superb.

I only got rid because I wanted the A7RIV as it will double as my personal camera and for a little side project I am working on which will need a hI-res camera.

Don’t agree with that all. I really liked the A6400 I had for a while and the Siggy lenses were superb.

I only got rid because I wanted the A7RIV as it will double as my personal camera and for a little side project I am working on which will need a hI-res camera.

Except it still uses previous generation sensor, can't add forefinger dial or a half decent touchscreen, still using UHS-I card, single card slot, crappy EVF, still shooting 8fps (with liveview) and 11fps since A6000 days, terrible rolling shutter, pedestrian video capabilities all at a very high price

Sorry that in my books is poo.

Don't get me started on 1st party APS-C lenses :p

What you gain with IQ with Fuji you lose with AF and may be also size.
It's all a compromise one way or another.

Isn't every choice some kind of a compromise though? I'm not one for speedy AF, rarely ever need it. Size has become less of a deal to me too, I don't like a camera that's too small and lacking a solid comfortable grip. I think it's great there's so much choice, I think we do tend to forget that these are just devices to allow us to get creative end of the day. There will always be better than what we own or can afford, just get the best that suits you personally is the only way to keep it sane.

Except it still uses previous generation sensor, can't add forefinger dial or a half decent touchscreen, still using UHS-I card, single card slot, crappy EVF, still shooting 8fps (with liveview) and 11fps since A6000 days, terrible rolling shutter, pedestrian video capabilities all at a very high price

I had no issues with the sensor at all and the touchscreen worked great once I got used to it. The FPS was more than I needed. It also wasn’t that expensive compared to say Fuji.

I’ve just put my Sony 70-200 f4 up in the classifieds if anyone is interested. I’ve come to the hard decision that I cant really justify keeping it and my other two lenses. The other two lenses cover the 70-200 range at the cost of a bit more weight over 100mm. Sadly I just don’t do enough landscapes to keep it as a lightweight landscape option and it’s too good to sit in a cupboard.

And yet in practice I've been using an a6300 (and more recently an a6400) alongside my a7III at weddings and unless I look at the file name I very rarely notice which camera I took a specific shot with.

I'm using the Sigma 1.4 trinity and it's quickly replaced my a7III as my go-to personal camera.

The a6400 AF is brilliant, no spec sheet is ever going to express just how special it is. Out of the box it's a dog but set up correctly you never need to mess with it again, utterly seamless transitions from subject to Eye AF and it hangs on like magic. I've set mine up for back button AF as well and it's easily the fastest and most reliable system I've ever used. I can only assume no other system comes close aside from Sony's own a9.

8fps should be more than adequate for 99% of situations, particularly when that's 8 consistently reliable in-focus shots.

Last edited:
And yet in practice I've been using an a6300 (and more recently an a6400) alongside my a7III at weddings and unless I look at the file name I very rarely notice which camera I took a specific shot with.

I'm using the Sigma 1.4 trinity and it's quickly replaced my a7III as my go-to personal camera.

The a6400 AF is brilliant, no spec sheet is ever going to express just how special it is. Out of the box it's a dog but set up correctly you never need to mess with it again, utterly seamless transitions from subject to Eye AF and it hangs on like magic. I've set mine up for back button AF as well and it's easily the fastest and most reliable system I've ever used. I can only assume no other system comes close aside from Sony's own a9.

8fps should be more than adequate for 99% of situations, particularly when that's 8 consistently reliable in-focus shots.

I never said the sensor was bad. they are using previous generation one which is true.

Also did not comment about the AF because that is the only area of improvement between generations. Also I did not comment if 8fps was good enough or not just saying FPS hasn't changed since a6000

You are paying a premium for just AF improvements (however amazing it might be). And if that's all it takes to make you happy then great Sony have found their target audience ;)

Last edited:
I had no issues with the sensor at all and the touchscreen worked great once I got used to it. The FPS was more than I needed. It also wasn’t that expensive compared to say Fuji.

Not commenting on the quality of the sensor, they are just milking it with previous generation one.

What touchscreen lol? Only thing it can do is move focus points. Every other brand now has a much better implementation that you can use for much more.

FPS may be more than your needs but doesn't change the fact that it's been the same since A6000.

A6600 costs more than X-T3 or X-H1. Granted AF is great but the rest in comparison is bad. AF is not the only thing in a camera.

Sounds like you are anti-improvement ;)

Not commenting on the quality of the sensor, they are just milking it with previous generation one.

What touchscreen lol? Only thing it can do is move focus points. Every other brand now has a much better implementation that you can use for much more.

FPS may be more than your needs but doesn't change the fact that it's been the same since A6000.

A6600 costs more than X-T3 or X-H1. Granted AF is great but the rest in comparison is bad. AF is not the only thing in a camera.

Sounds like you are anti-improvement ;)

The sensor is great, there is no need at all to do anything different with it at the moment as this would likely mean increased costs. It compares very well to what is available from the other manufacturers.

What else would you want a touchscreen on a camera for? It isn't a tablet or a phone, I wouldn't want to have to use a touchscreen for navigating around the menu's which I rarely use once a camera has been set up how I like it. Changing settings via a touchscreen, na no thanks.

Just because the fps hasn't been increased doesn't mean anything. It is more than adequate for the amateur photographer APSC camera's are aimed at.

The A6600 isn't even available yet so you can't compare pricing to camera's that have been available for some time.

In terms of the A6600, it might have been nice for them to include dual card slots but on the other hand you are getting a much better battery than with any of the other APSC cameras. As these are aimed at hobbyists while their photos may be important to them the world isn't going to end because a card corrupts and they lose some holiday snaps etc.

The A6600 seeing as you mentioned it in particular has quite a few advantages over other similarly priced APSC camera's.

You can't ignore the a.f performance, it is just simply better and a.f performance is more important than anything else on a camera system if you are mainly shooting people.
You now have eye a.f for video, I have no interest in video at all but for your normal average Joe that sounds like a nice bonus.
The battery life is much better than any other mirrorless APSC camera.

The A6600 is aimed at amateur photographers where as the Fuji X-T3 and X-H1 is aimed at amateur/prosumer users, those people who possibly might want to use the camera for the odd bit of work they do for beer tokens and don't have the budget for a full frame system.

If I was in the market for an APSC camera, I would choose an A6600 because of the a.f performance and battery performance over what Fuji currently has available. Then again I am not in the hipster or old man demographic Fuji aims it's products at.

I never said the sensor was bad. they are using previous generation one which is true.

Also did not comment about the AF because that is the only area of improvement between generations. Also I did not comment if 8fps was good enough or not just saying FPS hasn't changed since a6000

You are paying a premium for just AF improvements (however amazing it might be). And if that's all it takes to make you happy then great Sony have found their target audience ;)

Generally speaking...

• The Sigma 1.4s are all the lenses I’ll ever need on what is a second/personal camera. £700 for all 3 on the used market is one of the best bargains in photography imo.
  • Battery life is perfectly acceptable in real world use, 500 photos no problem. I see they’ve put the a7III battery in the a6500, so that’ll be an all-dayer without breaking a sweat
  • Ridiculously configurable, excellent Auto ISO implementation (some manufacturers still aren’t doing this!) means it really can be a set up and forget kinda camera.
Sure I’d love a better body (although the tracking AF setting removes the need for a joystick AND touchscreen in every circumstance I’ve encountered) and the EVF is noticeable when jumping between it and the a7III, but not terrible by any means. Upgrade those things though and Sony are essentially in a7III price territory, so they need to cut costs somewhere.

The a6400, 16mm 1.4, 30mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.4 cost me less than £1400, there aren’t many systems as well rounded as that with all the modern bells and whistles for that kind of money.

Generally speaking...

• The Sigma 1.4s are all the lenses I’ll ever need on what is a second/personal camera. £700 for all 3 on the used market is one of the best bargains in photography imo.
  • Battery life is perfectly acceptable in real world use, 500 photos no problem. I see they’ve put the a7III battery in the a6500, so that’ll be an all-dayer without breaking a sweat
  • Ridiculously configurable, excellent Auto ISO implementation (some manufacturers still aren’t doing this!) means it really can be a set up and forget kinda camera.
Sure I’d love a better body (although the tracking AF setting removes the need for a joystick AND touchscreen in every circumstance I’ve encountered) and the EVF is noticeable when jumping between it and the a7III, but not terrible by any means. Upgrade those things though and Sony are essentially in a7III price territory, so they need to cut costs somewhere.

The a6400, 16mm 1.4, 30mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.4 cost me less than £1400, there aren’t many systems as well rounded as that with all the modern bells and whistles for that kind of money.

Fair points. I've had the files recently from an A6400 and must say they are very good indeed. The DR I found to be superb and better than expected for an APSC.

That really is tempting and in some ways it'd make a lot of sense for me to dump MFT for an A6xxx set up... but then I think about the missing top aperture/shutter dials and the fact that the lenses will all be bigger to much bigger. MFT focusing is good enough for me, the eye af seems to work well enough for me and the single shot focusing is blisteringly fast. Another thing I keep thinking about though is that my MFT cameras do have awful evf's by todays or even any standards and a bump in dr would be nice. On the whole though it's the overall size of the lenses compared to MFT that stops me buying an A6xxx. I'm always tempted though.

Last edited:
The sensor is great, there is no need at all to do anything different with it at the moment as this would likely mean increased costs. It compares very well to what is available from the other manufacturers.

What else would you want a touchscreen on a camera for? It isn't a tablet or a phone, I wouldn't want to have to use a touchscreen for navigating around the menu's which I rarely use once a camera has been set up how I like it. Changing settings via a touchscreen, na no thanks.

Just because the fps hasn't been increased doesn't mean anything. It is more than adequate for the amateur photographer APSC camera's are aimed at.

The A6600 isn't even available yet so you can't compare pricing to camera's that have been available for some time.

In terms of the A6600, it might have been nice for them to include dual card slots but on the other hand you are getting a much better battery than with any of the other APSC cameras. As these are aimed at hobbyists while their photos may be important to them the world isn't going to end because a card corrupts and they lose some holiday snaps etc.

The A6600 seeing as you mentioned it in particular has quite a few advantages over other similarly priced APSC camera's.

You can't ignore the a.f performance, it is just simply better and a.f performance is more important than anything else on a camera system if you are mainly shooting people.
You now have eye a.f for video, I have no interest in video at all but for your normal average Joe that sounds like a nice bonus.
The battery life is much better than any other mirrorless APSC camera.

The A6600 is aimed at amateur photographers where as the Fuji X-T3 and X-H1 is aimed at amateur/prosumer users, those people who possibly might want to use the camera for the odd bit of work they do for beer tokens and don't have the budget for a full frame system.

If I was in the market for an APSC camera, I would choose an A6600 because of the a.f performance and battery performance over what Fuji currently has available. Then again I am not in the hipster or old man demographic Fuji aims it's products at.

A6600 has an impressive spec sheet, but until it gets away from its body design, 1 control dial, 1 card slot it won't win me over.

I had a look at some Fuji's while on holiday and I think they look really nice as objects. Plus I saw an absolute babe with one and the combination was just stunning :D If I was looking for an aps-c system to replace everything I'd reluctantly go A6xxx though as the whole X-Trans marketing bs (IMO) thing grates on me. Just my VHO :D

I had a look at some Fuji's while on holiday and I think they look really nice as objects. Plus I saw an absolute babe with one and the combination was just stunning :D If I was looking for an aps-c system to replace everything I'd reluctantly go A6xxx though as the whole X-Trans marketing bs (IMO) thing grates on me. Just my VHO :D

Where was this you seen me? :ROFLMAO:

As I said earlier, we all have different preferences, I don't buy into any spiel, I go with my gut. I wouldn't swap Fuji for Sony APSC if you paid me, but I would give Sony FF a try. I see nothing for me in their APSC line. But sure what matter, I'm no pro so doesn't matter what I use once 'I' enjoy it. Don't care what 'hipsters' or know it all pros use or frown upon.

I don't really agree with negatively tagging people who like to buy what they see as nice things. Life is short and if someone wants to buy a nice watch, pen, smartphone, Aston Martin, pair of shoes or camera I'll wish them all the happiness in the world as long as they have the disposable.

I don't tend to like marketing waffle though and it makes me less likely to buy and I do think that there's possibly more marketing waffle around Fuji than the other brands, apart from Leica maybe :D Just my HO. To me the XTrans seems to be a marketing ploy that has real implications for the kit rather than a clear and undeniable step forward but if others just see a nice shiny thing then good on them :D I'll probably argue the toss when it comes to things like the XTrans though but I'd guess that a lot of Fuji customers just don't care.

I've just spotted the A6500 in the for sale section. It seems to be very cheap at £600 + £12 for postage.

If anyone is interested. It's been there a while, I wonder why no one has bought it.

I don't really agree with negatively tagging people who like to buy what they see as nice things. Life is short and if someone wants to buy a nice watch, pen, smartphone, Aston Martin, pair of shoes or camera I'll wish them all the happiness in the world as long as they have the disposable.

I don't tend to like marketing waffle though and it makes me less likely to buy and I do think that there's possibly more marketing waffle around Fuji than the other brands, apart from Leica maybe :D Just my HO. To me the XTrans seems to be a marketing ploy that has real implications for the kit rather than a clear and undeniable step forward but if others just see a nice shiny thing then good on them :D I'll probably argue the toss when it comes to things like the XTrans though but I'd guess that a lot of Fuji customers just don't care.
Or a nice pair of socks

I've just spotted the A6500 in the for sale section. It seems to be very cheap at £600 + £12 for postage.

If anyone is interested. It's been there a while, I wonder why no one has bought it.
Perhaps because it was bought used on ebay and originally from Bangkok, I think that might put me off .

I wouldn't disagree, I always thought the whole Xtrans thing was pointless, if anything it poses more issues - but once I learned to work with the files, they do have something about them that I like. I'm not fussed about how a camera looks, more how it feels. When I had the X-T1 I had to have a grip attached at all times, the camera solo felt too small and lacked a decent grip. With the X-H1 I don't feel any need for a grip, it's probably the ugliest Fuji body too but I don't care :D It feels right, very tough but very comfortable and I love the shutter on it. I could have had an X-T3 for not a lot more but I wanted a good grip + IBIS, don't think I'll ever buy another camera without those 2 properties. If the A6600 had a central evf and a larger body and grip, it would have caught my interest because of the third party lens options. But seems Sony are intent on sticking with that small, uncomfortable [to me at least] side evf style for their APSC so I'm out.

Perhaps because it was bought used on ebay and originally from Bangkok, I think that might put me off .

The used aspect doesn't really worry me but I don't know what the implications are of it being from Thailand. If the menu can be set to English I suppose that only leaves the warranty as a possible issue but as my Mrs is from Thailand that possibly wouldn't be a problem for me unless it developed a fault 11 months before she/we are going there :( Anyway, we face some warranty worries with some used buys and it's just something to factor in. The issue for me would be Thai menus but I'm not interested in the camera so I wont waste the sellers time asking if it can be set to English.

PS.
Just on Thailand... I'm very jealous of all the camera shops there and the stock they have. We were in a shopping centre in Chon Buri which had three camera shops just yards from each other and they seemed to have just about everything people like us would be interested in in stock and the staff were just so helpful. It felt almost rude not buying something but even when they knew I was a tourist just looking they were still so friendly and happy to talk about the kit. When was the last time we had all this in the UK? Multiple shops, just about everything in stock and friendly and helpful staff?

Last edited:
It’s a bitterly disappointing upgrade from the a6500. On social media there seems to be a big backlash. Barely any upgrade at all.

Haven't really seen that plenty of the guys that where using an A6500 as a B or C camera for video seem to want to upgrade just for the extra battery life alone.

The a.f on the A6600 from a photography pov will be much better than the A6500.

Haven't really seen that plenty of the guys that where using an A6500 as a B or C camera for video seem to want to upgrade just for the extra battery life alone.

The a.f on the A6600 from a photography pov will be much better than the A6500.

We must have been looking in different places because 99% of the hundreds of comments I’ve seen are very disappointed.

Considering the A6500 could recently be bought for £600 new with c/back that makes it an additional £850 to get a better battery. Wonderful.

The AF is better, probably unnecessarily so considering the AF in the A6500 was excellent anyway.

Let’s be honest, it’s not the upgrade anyone way hoping for or expecting.

I think it’s £950 on amazon and there is a £300 cash back.

I think it’s £950 on amazon and there is a £300 cash back.

Searching for A6500 body only gives me two pages of results but non at that price but at just over £1k that isn't too bad. I don't see any mention of cashback on Amazon. Wex have them at £1,250 and do have the £300 cashback on screen.

We must have been looking in different places because 99% of the hundreds of comments I’ve seen are very disappointed.

Considering the A6500 could recently be bought for £600 new with c/back that makes it an additional £850 to get a better battery. Wonderful.

The AF is better, probably unnecessarily so considering the AF in the A6500 was excellent anyway.

It doesn't look to be the way beyond customers expectations camera that the rumor site was lead to believe was coming, Unless I've missed something.

I guess you are talking about those stupid equipment groups on Facebook. Yeah I don’t use those.

In the wedding photo video groups quite a few people seem to be interested in the A6600.

The same people were having a go at Nikon Z for having single card slot which by the way take a much faster and more robust cards. Who cares if you all your wedding shots are lost as long as they were in focus :p

Back