The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I guess you are talking about those stupid equipment groups on Facebook. Yeah I don’t use those.

In the wedding photo video groups quite a few people seem to be interested in the A6600.

Yeah they ain't wedding togs, they know nothing.

The same people were having a go at Nikon Z for having single card slot which by the way take a much faster and more robust cards. Who cares if you all your wedding shots are lost as long as they were in focus :p

I’ve personally not raised an issue with single card slots. Sure two are always safer, but I did my first two years with two single slot Fuji bodies so I’m used to a workflow that is as safe as it’s practically possible to be with one slot.

• The highest percentage of photos are taken on my a7III anyway
  • Most key moments are taken at multiple focal lengths, so across two different cameras (thanks to the wonderful Holdfast Swagg)
  • I backup everything taken so far onto a laptop during the wedding breakfast
  • A portable drive containing a backup of all images (from both cameras) goes to my parents’ house on the way home from a wedding

Take the a7III out and replace it with another a6400 and that’s still a pretty reasonable safety net.

So even with a camera with a single slot in my workflow, I’ve got 4 copies of the majority of photos in 2 completely separate locations by midnight on the day of the wedding. I’m sure the biggest risk by far is getting mugged leaving the venue or travelling home in the car after the wedding with all the images in one place (but even then, the laptop is in the boot and the SD cards are in my pocket), as they are single points of failure.

The same people were having a go at Nikon Z for having single card slot which by the way take a much faster and more robust cards. Who cares if you all your wedding shots are lost as long as they were in focus :p

I don't think that anyone here has said that it would be a good idea to use any of the Sony APSC cameras for wedding photography.

I wouldn't personally.

I wouldn't use Fuji or any other APSC camera either as the low light performance is woeful compared to the other options available.

Last edited:
I’ve personally not raised an issue with single card slots. Sure two are always safer, but I did my first two years with two single slot Fuji bodies so I’m used to a workflow that is as safe as it’s practically possible to be with one slot.

• Most key moments are taken at multiple focal lengths, so across two different cameras (thanks to the wonderful Holdfast Swagg)
  • A portable drive containing a backup of all images (from both cameras) goes to my parents’ house on the way home from a wedding

Take the a7III out and replace it with another a6400 and that’s still a pretty reasonable safety net.

So even with a camera with a single slot in my workflow, I’ve got 4 copies of the majority of photos in 2 completely separate locations by midnight on the day of the wedding. I’m sure the biggest risk by far is getting mugged leaving the venue or travelling home in the car after the wedding with all the images in one place (but even then, the laptop is in the boot and the SD cards are in my pocket), as they are single points of failure.

I see this all the time from wedding photographers on the groups on Facebook and see equally as many having a full scale melt down because they have just shot a wedding and their card is corrupt.

It happens a lot more than you might think and while yeah if it's a second body the risk is less, it wouldn't be a risk I would personally take though.

Last edited:
I have just realised after my switch from Fuji to Sony, I no longer have a flash. I was using a Godox for my Fuji Xt-2 and Xh-1. What recommendations do you have for a flash and trigger for my A7iii? I tried a search and now I' even more confused!

I have just realised after my switch from Fuji to Sony, I no longer have a flash. I was using a Godox for my Fuji Xt-2 and Xh-1. What recommendations do you have for a flash and trigger for my A7iii? I tried a search and now I' even more confused!

Same flashes but don’t mount? If they are only used for off camera then just get a trigger.

Same flashes but don’t mount? If they are only used for off camera then just get a trigger.

I used a Yongnuo with a trigger that doesn’t seem to want to play ball with the Sony. It definitely won’t work on camera

I used a Yongnuo with a trigger that doesn’t seem to want to play ball with the Sony. It definitely won’t work on camera

You stated that you use Godox. Hence why @Raymond Lin suggested the same flash with a new trigger. If you have godox then you could use the same flash off camera if you got a godox trigger for sony

You stated that you use Godox. Hence why @Raymond Lin suggested the same flash with a new trigger. If you have godox then you could use the same flash off camera if you got a godox trigger for sony

Yeah sorry, I used Godox with the Fuji, but I sold that when I switched systems. I also used the Yongnuo that was left over from my Canon days that worked on and off camera with the Fuji but it doesn’t want to play with the Sony

Which might be expected, since more pixels = less light gathering.

Actually think that's a myth. Say you have a 12mp and a 48mp sensor capturing the same scene. For every pixel in 12mp sensor there are 4 pixels in the 48mp sensor. So while each pixel captures only 1/4th of the light combined/averaged together they capture about the same amount of information. So for example if you take a result from A7R and downsize it to the size of a result of A7S the difference is rather minimal which dpreview actually proved in one of their articles.

I think the difference is due to the larger megapixels requiring more processing and hence introducing more noise. With less data, deeper/larger pixel less electronic noise is introduced.

That's my understanding anyway. Happy to hear alternative logic and explanations :)

Thanks, I'm going off the 860II idea, now stuck deciding between the V-1 and the AD-200, quite like the Ak-R1 kit!

I went for the V1 kit in the end and ordered an AD-200 for when it's in stock. The V1 is pretty impressive, love the way the Ak-R1 kit works with it.

godoxv1a.jpg

Save yourself some money buying the A6600 and hire yourself some bodyguards :D

Anyone using a Spider holster/Spiderlight or Peak Capture Pro with their A7ii/iii?
would be very interested to hear any thoughts/experiences.
I m keen to buy something similar but am just a bit concerned that when walking, my right arm will swing against the camera and lens, given that it’ll be on the hip.

Anyone using a Spider holster/Spiderlight or Peak Capture Pro with their A7ii/iii?
would be very interested to hear any thoughts/experiences.
I m keen to buy something similar but am just a bit concerned that when walking, my right arm will swing against the camera and lens, given that it’ll be on the hip.

I have a Peak Design Capture clip which I use with my backpack. I think it’s great as it as I don’t really like using a neck camera strap when I’ve got a backpack on. Instead I use a Peak Design cuff to secure the camera to my wrist when in use.

I haven’t tried tried it on my hip for any length of time other than to test it. I didn’t find it comfortable to be honest but that’s probably just me.

I have a Peak Design Capture clip which I use with my backpack. I think it’s great as it as I don’t really like using a neck camera strap when I’ve got a backpack on. Instead I use a Peak Design cuff to secure the camera to my wrist when in use.

I haven’t tried tried it on my hip for any length of time other than to test it. I didn’t find it comfortable to be honest but that’s probably just me.

Many thanks for the reply.
re attaching it to your backpack, I assume it attaches just below the padded part of the strap? easily accessible?
Re hip placement, did you find that your swinging arm (when walking) knocked against it or was it more of a general feel of being uncomfortable?
Do you think it possible to successfully wear the clip closer to the belt buckle?
Thnks

re attaching it to your backpack, I assume it attaches just below the padded part of the strap? easily accessible?
Re hip placement, did you find that your swinging arm (when walking) knocked against it or was it more of a general feel of being uncomfortable?
Do you think it possible to successfully wear the clip closer to the belt buckle?
Thnks

I've used a Capture Clip for the last 2-3 years, on both my hip and backpack strap, with pretty much all of my cameras at one time or another (from 35mm film/digital up to medium format film, including a couple of A7's) and it's never been an issue. If I use it on a belt, I just make sure that I fit it slightly further around towards the front of my belt but that's just so I can still get things in and out of my pocket!

I also used to use one when I shot weddings so I could have one camera on a Black Rapid style sling strap and the other on my hip so I could switch between them as I needed. The last time I did that I had a D850 on the strap and an A6000 with 70-200 on my hip!

Last edited:
Are there any hints at when we might see an A7m4.
I was all set for the A7m3 but the released of the A7Rm4 had made me hold fire for now they normally get releases choose together don't they.

I was all set for the A7m3 but the released of the A7Rm4 had made me hold fire for now they normally get releases choose together don't they.

You never know but I can’t see it anytime soon. The replacement for the A7SII according to the rumour sites is due in the next couple of weeks and the A9II is supposed to becoming before the end of the Autumn. Can’t really see them dropping an A7IV before those.

The A7RIV seems to have been brought forward because of Nikon & Canon’s expected new hi-res bodies. Would imagine an A7IV would only hit if the others are offering something. Can’t really see it with them already running about 2 gens behind though.

Especially with the A7III still outselling everything else by a large margin.

Last edited:
A couple of gray importers say it's in stock so I think it will be soon , I'm thinking about this camera too over the a9 for birding just waiting for the 200/600 to come out about 2 weeks i think.
Rob.

A couple of gray importers say it's in stock so I think it will be soon , I'm thinking about this camera too over the a9 for birding just waiting for the 200/600 to come out about 2 weeks i think.
Rob.

The A7 mkiv?

Thnks

With the backpack you can attach it anywhere on the strap. I have it just below the shoulder so the lens is resting on my chest. I find this comfortable and easy to access.

When I tried it on my hip, the most comfortable place was at the 2 o'clock position where my arm wouldn't knock it when walking. I haven't tried it closer to the belt buckle but I imagine it would be fine, although the camera would probably move with your leg when walking.

Rob.

Think you are getting mixed up between the A7RIV and a potential yet unannounced A7IV.

A few people have gotten there pre-orders for the A7RIV so they are available now, it's just a matter of the U.K suppliers fulfilling their pre-orders first.

Opps yes sorry I miss read.

Back