The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Mostly but my Tamron 17-28 gets a fair bit of use too. I have these:

24 GM
35 Art
35 FE
55 FE
85 FE
85 GM
90 Macro
135 GM

17-28 Tamron
28-75 Tamron
70-200 G

What do you think of that 28-75 apparently it meant to be very good and it very worth the money. And it not too far behind front he GM for IQ but of course the GM a stronger build

What do you think of that 28-75 apparently it meant to be very good and it very worth the money. And it not too far behind front he GM for IQ but of course the GM a stronger build

It is definitely worth the money especially a t the price it can be bought for at the moment on the Black Friday offers. U.K lens with 5 years warranty is crazy cheap.

I don’t use a mid range zoom much, it is mostly a back up lens for me. But it’s better than the Nikon 24-70 and the Tamron 24-70 I had when I shot Nikon.

It does feel cheap though, build quality of oem lenses is much better.

Last edited:
It is definitely worth the money especially a t the price it can be bought for at the moment on the Black Friday offers. U.K lens with 5 years warranty is crazy cheap.

I don’t use a mid range zoom much, it is mostly a back up lens for me. But it’s better than the Nikon 24-70 and the Tamron 24-70 I had when I shot Nikon.

What you most prefer lens you use and for what photography well i suppose portraits lo

How many of you really put GM lens on your Sony cameras such as the A9 I know 2 of you are GM fans Riz and Jonny but not sure about rest of you.

Sony GM lenses are lovely [emoji4]
I have the following.....

16-35mm f2.8 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM + 1.4x TC
85mm f1.4 GM

Wouldn’t mind a 50mm f1.4 GM.
Cancelled my pre-ordered 24mm f1.4 & 135mm f1.8 GM.

Last edited:
What you most prefer lens you use and for what photography well i suppose portraits lo

Depends on what the job is for a wedding I usually use either the 24 & 55 or a 35 & 85. For portraits the 135. For everything else it just depends on the situation.

Olympus EM5 MK2 Keith.

Still got it but I'm starting to think I'll go full Sony. Yet to decide.

Only trouble is the Oly lenses are a bargain compared with the Sony mount ones.

Yeah I thought you used Olympus alright, just had to check. How are you getting on with the A7II aside from end IQ? the menus, the ergos etc ...

Menus fine as long as you set and use the configurable buttons.

Better manual focussing experience than the Olympus but missing the fully adjustable rear screen.

Ergonomics are great and I really like using it.

Time will tell whether it's just new toy syndrome.

Only got the 50mm 1.8 FE lens at the moment but enjoying my PK MF lenses.

Thought I'd try my old Vivitar 75-205 F3.8 on it and was pleasantly surprised.

Colours from the Sony are just superb, for me anyway.

Better manual focussing experience than the Olympus but missing the fully adjustable rear screen.

Cheers for that, sounds good. That 50 1.8 gets a right slating on here, but I've seen some vids on it where pro photographers gave it a run and were impressed. For the money it's hard to complain because it might be a little slow and not the best build quality.

Cheers for that, sounds good. That 50 1.8 gets a right slating on here, but I've seen some vids on it where pro photographers gave it a run and were impressed. For the money it's hard to complain because it might be a little slow and not the best build quality.

Yes focussing is a little slow to lock on but I've had no issues with it.

Took one of Rosie the other day on it and it seems fine to me.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hKA9SD]Rosie by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Yes focussing is a little slow to lock on but I've had no issues with it.

Took one of Rosie the other day on it and it seems fine to me.

Rosie by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Ah yes, I remember you posting images of her in the Oly thread - beautiful dog :) Looks nice and sharp too fr f/11 - many lenses fall apart around there

What make of adaptor do you use?
I've got a few old Olympus film lenses I'd like to try on my A7ii.

How many of you really put GM lens on your Sony cameras such as the A9 I know 2 of you are GM fans Riz and Jonny but not sure about rest of you.
I’ve got the A7r3 rather than A9 but got the 24-105 G, 70-200 f4 G and 100-400 GM. They were mainly chosen for wildlife and landscapes. I used to love the f2.8 lenses on Nikon but they aren’t really needed for landscapes so it turned out the G line f4 options were the next best bet on Sony (I had the equivalent on Nikon too after working out there were lighter options than the f2.8s). The 100-400 meets majority of my wildlife needs.

The choice of G or GM really depends whether you need faster lenses or not. That said tamron seem to be going so nice lenses now. I would be interested to see if they could create a well priced UWA f4 lens.

What make of adaptor do you use?
I've got a few old Olympus film lenses I'd like to try on my A7ii.

I don't think it matters Bob, unless it's a very specific type you're after, mostly they're just metal spacers to fill the gap and add mount obviously. In the case of something like a Nikon G type lens then you'd want one with aperture adjustment like a K&F concept. They are usually a bt pricier. I've used adapters from Fotodiox and Meike and some that didn't seem to have any label and all were the same.

Hi Bob,

I bought a cheap one from Amazon.

Here's the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CQJLK6P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't go wrong for £15
I don't think it matters Bob, unless it's a very specific type you're after, mostly they're just metal spacers to fill the gap and add mount obviously. In the case of something like a Nikon G type lens then you'd want one with aperture adjustment like a K&F concept. They are usually a bt pricier. I've used adapters from Fotodiox and Meike and some that didn't seem to have any label and all were the same.
Cheers guys,
I'll have a look....

Is the sony 90mm Macro lens any good for portrait of course it will be for macro sometime people use it for both

Is the sony 90mm Macro lens any good for portrait of course it will be for macro sometime people use it for both

I wouldn’t use it for portraits unless you where shooting models with perfect skin or you are happy to do heavy frequency separation on any portraits you take with it. It’s far too sharp.

I wouldn’t use it for portraits unless you where shooting models with perfect skin or you are happy to do heavy frequency separation on any portraits you take with it. It’s far too sharp.

Agreed, don't use macro lenses for portraits... not just the Sony macro. @rookies Buy the 85 for whatever camera.

Last edited:

I like mine TBH! Build is ok for the money and focus seems no worse than the other more budget 1.8s from Nikon and Canon. Meant to be quicker on the A9 but mine is still in box lol

Got an adaptor coming tomorrow so I'll be able to try my old OM lenses on the A7ii.
I've got a 50mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8 and a couple of zooms.
Will be interesting to see the results.

I have the 50mm f1.8 and 24mm f2.8 plus some others. I don't think you'll be disappointed :D

Agreed, don't use macro lenses for portraits... not just the Sony macro. @rookies Buy the 85 for whatever camera.

Aye, I remember doing a portrait session or two using the old Nikon 60mm 2.8 D, spent most of the post processing time reducing clarity and sharpness. Macro lenses are very unforgiving, excellent for the intended purpose but for portraiture not so much. Even a 50 1.8 will do the job better

Who would put a Sony 50mm 1.8 on a a9. That lens no where near as good as the Nikon 50 1.8 s

I like mine TBH! Build is ok for the money and focus seems no worse than the other more budget 1.8s from Nikon and Canon. Meant to be quicker on the A9 but mine is still in box lol

This guy is a pro wedding photographer, he gave it a run and was impressed despite a few niggles. Flick to 5:48 if you're only interested in how he found it for shooting at a wedding

View: https://youtu.be/76wsHCLqK3M

Last edited:
Who would put a Sony 50mm 1.8 on a a9. That lens no where near as good as the Nikon 50 1.8 s

It's less than half the price, and why not? The Nikon 50mm 1.8 S seems exceptional, but if you happened to be a Sony shooter and 50mm wasn't a focal range you used often then why not just have it? Doesn't matter the body

Last edited:

The Sony is fine for what it is, better than canon and g optically and AF is as rapid as it needs to be at the price point. Don't compare it to the S that's nearly 3 times the price or you could be looking at the cz or art used for similar money.

So you got a 50mm 1.8 and the 70-200 GM

The Sony is fine for what it is, better than canon and g optically and AF is as rapid as it needs to be at the price point. Don't compare it to the S that's nearly 3 times the price or you could be looking at the cz or art used for similar money.

It may be as good as it needs to be on newer bodies but for my creaking old A7 I'd avoid lenses that get even a fleeting mention of slow or hunting focus as my experience with the 50mm macro was that it was unusable on my camera.

I saw that Roto vid a while back while researching 85s. It's great the lens worked for him, but his experience didn't match mine with an A7III, where focus was unreliable and the copy I had would sometimes focus all the way in and back out again while failing to find the area of contrast placed under the spot.

Optically it was super, nice & crisp with excellent contrast, even though the OOF areas were often quite busy and gave images a restless feeling - it would make an excellent lens used for general shooting however. I took some comparison photos with my older Sony 50 f1.4 on the LA-EA4 and those images have a lovely velvety quality that's missing from the sharp, contrasty 50 f1.8FE.

If the focus had been anything like as good as that of the Samyang 50 f1.4 I'd had at first then it would have been a keeper, but it was just quite unreliable *in the example I had*.

So is the Sigma 50mm 1.4 art a good lens for the sony since they are £500 new is AF fast one them..

Yep and that’s it! Pretty short in the lens department me.
Suppose it depend what you take which is mostly horses so no wonder you got the 70-200

Back