The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I didn't want to put it on here but here my theory

If I kept what ive got

Z6
24-70 F4
50 1.8
Sigma 105 2.8 macro
FTZ adaptor

I plan to upgrade the lens to the Nikon 24-70 2.8 Cost me £1500 after selling the kit lens

A9 with Free Grip
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Sony 55 1.8

After selling my current stuff to someone i know who knows someone that will have it I need to spend £1500- £1600 not confirmed by the dealer yet.

So either way I be spending the same amount but will lose a lens but gain and amazing sony AF tech and lose the amazing nikon ergonomics and files it produce

why does that matter? I’ve never looked at my Tamron and thought it doesn’t match the colour of the body, who cares?
And you got that tamron and which sony?

If I kept what ive got

Z6
24-70 F4
50 1.8
Sigma 105 2.8 macro
FTZ adaptor

I plan to upgrade the lens to the Nikon 24-70 2.8 Cost me £1500 after selling the kit lens

A9 with Free Grip
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Sony 55 1.8

After selling my current stuff to someone i know who knows someone that will have it I need to spend £1500- £1600 not confirmed by the dealer yet.

So either way I be spending the same amount but will lose a lens but gain and amazing sony AF tech and lose the amazing nikon ergonomics and files it produce

I don't see the attraction with the Nikon files they never nail red or green properly without a lot of p.p. Found this was especially bad on the Z7 I had for a little while.

even that struggles sometime it was hunting in low light
Yep it does, but every camera has a flaw(s), you just have to realise what’s acceptable to you and what’s not. My Z7 isn’t as good a performer as my D850 but I prefer using it and as a result am willing to put up with the drop in performance. You don’t have to have the best of everything, it’s what you enjoy using that’s most important imo. Yes it’d be different if you’re living depended upon it (y) If you get the A9 you’re going to be wowed by the performance no doubt, but you previously complained about the ergonomics so you’re going to have to ‘put up’ with that. And then what if the Z6-II has A7III performance will you want to go back to Nikon, after all their current lenses are very impressive and the roadmap looks good.

I don't see the attraction with the Nikon files they never nail red or green properly without a lot of p.p. Found this was especially bad on the Z7 I had for a little while.

Interesting.. but now i have listed the 2 kit and what it would cost it seem appealing dont you think... But ideally i of like the sony 24-70 GM but it at price it would get me to think not worth changing over.. But reading reviews and been told buy some users the Tamron is just as good at AF and sharpness but the build not as strong but that wouldn't bother me as i dont go in the rain

Yep it does, but every camera has a flaw(s), you just have to realise what’s acceptable to you and what’s not. My Z7 isn’t as good a performer as my D850 but I prefer using it and as a result am willing to put up with the drop in performance. You don’t have to have the best of everything, it’s what you enjoy using that’s most important imo. Yes it’d be different if you’re living depended upon it (y) If you get the A9 you’re going to be wowed by the performance no doubt, but you previously complained about the ergonomics so you’re going to have to ‘put up’ with that. And then what if the Z6-II has A7III performance will you want to go back to Nikon, after all their current lenses are very impressive and the roadmap looks good.

But nikon should be able to add and improve the AF of our current Z just like sony done to their A9 which is a much older camera than the Z and look at the improvement it had this more like cos it had the hardware in it.. I am not sure if the Z have the hardware in it to get the AF up to standard?

He can buy whatever lens he wants, it won't make any difference, he went from an A7III to a camera with a much poorer a.f system.

Must be very frustrating.
Here we go again lol, “much poorer”? ;) :p
A perfect example of why one camera doesn’t suit all. Nikon for me produce the most natural colours which is what I’m after, but that’s purely preference and opinion (y)

If I kept what ive got

Z6
24-70 F4
50 1.8
Sigma 105 2.8 macro
FTZ adaptor

A9 with Free Grip
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Sony 55 1.8

don't forget the sigma ART 24-70mm f2.8 is coming for e-mount at £1050 which seems like a great price especially if it matches the nikon Z 24-70mm/2.8 as they claim.

But nikon should be able to add and improve the AF of our current Z just like sony done to their A9 which is a much older camera than the Z and look at the improvement it had this more like cos it had the hardware in it.. I am not sure if the Z have the hardware in it to get the AF up to standard?
Who knows what future updates will bring, I’ll personally never buy something depending on what updates may or may not happen (y).
On issue if you buy the A9 is that the A9-II is already here and all of a sudden your A9 (should you buy one) won’t be the best, will that bug you and you’ll then want the A9-II, or the A7-IV when it comes out? It’s never ending unfortunately. If you just like swapping gear that’s fine, but if you’re searching for the Holy Grail you’ll never find it (y)

The A9 was already impressive before the FW update, but yeah, the real time tracking is seriously impressive, also as said above, there are all of Sigmas lenses that are native and superb.

@f/2.8 Does the A9 have better button/control sealing, everything feels a bit more dampened than the Mk3? The extra weight is nice, Im guessing that's the full mag body. I also like the extra dial on top, missed that when I sold my D700/800 and got the D750. Dial locks take getting used to.

Who knows what future updates will bring, I’ll personally never buy something depending on what updates may or may not happen (y).
On issue if you buy the A9 is that the A9-II is already here and all of a sudden your A9 (should you buy one) won’t be the best, will that bug you and you’ll then want the A9-II, or the A7-IV when it comes out? It’s never ending unfortunately. If you just like swapping gear that’s fine, but if you’re searching for the Holy Grail you’ll never find it (y)

Believe me or not i though about the A9 ii lol but reading around there not much of a improvement just the handing of the camera is better but that doesn't justify the extra £1300. I know what you mean about swapping gear but if i did swap to the gear i listed it will cost me the same to get the nikon lens for my current set up so it making me think twice about it wether to jump and spend the same or upgrade my current nikon lens.

Agreed, most don't see the additional value in the A9ii though and theres nothing else on the market to challenge either A9/ii for overall performance/feature set.

Last edited:
The A9 was already impressive before the FW update, but yeah, the real time tracking is seriously impressive, also as said above, there are all of Sigmas lenses that are native and superb.

@f/2.8 Does the A9 have better button/control sealing, everything feels a bit more dampened than the Mk3? The extra weight is nice, Im guessing that's the full mag body. I also like the extra dial on top, missed that when I sold my D700/800 and got the D750. Dial locks take getting used to.
Does this real time tracking work in all AF modes?

There is a small difference and yeah the extra dial is useful although it also took me a little while to get used to it being there.

It basically works. Period.

Set it to real-time tracking and forget about it lol. You will never need to change AF settings after that. Doesn't get any simpler really.
That how it really works wow... just trying see where in setting this is.. As going to try one tmr...

My questions is will this be a good set up what i thinking of

A9
Tamron 28-75 2.8
sony 55 1.8

That boxing one f*** me that good. what the big flashing box?

Why didn't they put this on the A7iii

That's the shutter, you can choose to have it make a digital shutter noise or silent and then it flashes to let you know youre taking shots because you cant hear anything.

AFAIK the A7iii doesnt have the processing power.

That's the shutter, you can choose to have it make a digital shutter noise or silent and then it flashes to let you know youre taking shots because you cant hear anything.

AFAIK the A7iii doesnt have the processing power.

OMG that stunning.. well I am deaf so that is a lovely feature for me to know the shutter working

Been looking on Flickr but from your users any of you samples of images from your 28-75 tammy pls?

That how it really works wow... just trying see where in setting this is.. As going to try one tmr...

My questions is will this be a good set up what i thinking of

A9
Tamron 28-75 2.8
sony 55 1.8

Yes will work great :)

I'll look for sample images and post any that aren't personal :)

why does that matter? I’ve never looked at my Tamron and thought it doesn’t match the colour of the body, who cares?
It doesn’t matter the 70-200 and 100-400 are totally different colours to the body ;)

Like others have said you would just be wasting money changing. No camera is ever going to working perfectly for your every need, you need to workout how to get images with its limitations. Personally I know I’m the limiting factor and not the camera. I could get an A9 but it may help get a few images but generally wouldn’t have that much influence on most images.

It doesn’t matter the 70-200 and 100-400 are totally different colours to the body ;)

Like others have said you would just be wasting money changing. No camera is ever going to working perfectly for your every need, you need to workout how to get images with its limitations. Personally I know I’m the limiting factor and not the camera. I could get an A9 but it may help get a few images but generally wouldn’t have that much influence on most images.

Know what you saying but after seeing those videos of the Real time AF that looks brilliant it make taking images easier and be easier for the mrs too.. The only thing i didn't like much on the A7iii was the handling but it did bother me too much. I wanted to give the nikon a go and i have and now ive done it so might move back to sony.. I feel sony are the only company that going to get better and better before the others and it think we all know that..

Sounds about right for a general, average set up.

Hope so just feel the cost of that Tammy makes the switch easier but will it be good enough for a a9

It's more than good enough for A9. It works as well as native lenses.

Just my though after reading a reviews Just hoping you find out a couple of images lol

And I am doomed if i need to update the Camera firmware to 6 as i am on the latest mac OS lol

If Catalina then it wont work. A new a9 will likely ship with V5 or V6. V5 also has all the latest features, except the animal eye af and interval so not a massive upgrade like 5 was.

Back