The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Shibuya Crossing.

8rdCTsb.jpg

Tbh I don't understand why a lot of u guys keep chopping and changing...

Don't some of u guys do your research and first see if something matches what your needs are and then buy?

Granted if something new comes out with better specs that improve your shooting then fine but to from nikon to Sony to whatever is madness.

I've only ever changed from canon to Sony due to mirrless tech.

Maybe I'm in a mood... I've had man flu which is very serious... but I don't think we should be persuading anyone and particularly not a serial switcher. Soz to be a killjoy and all but apart from feeding gas the cost/benefit/hassle analysis surely needs doing?

New kit could bring a silent shutter, slightly better eye detect, slightly faster focusing, a frame or so more per second... These things may tip the balance but for other people and perhaps even most people it's just gas, isn't it? And if it is why feed it?

Tbh I don't understand why a lot of u guys keep chopping and changing...

Don't some of u guys do your research and first see if something matches what your needs are and then buy?

Granted if something new comes out with better specs that improve your shooting then fine but to from nikon to Sony to whatever is madness.

I've only ever changed from canon to Sony due to mirrless tech.

personally ive really enjoyed using different systems. Granted, ive gone back and forth maybe a little too often. i know what those camera systems are like, how they work for me and what doesn't quite work. Theres so many people here who slag off this and that and have never touched or used the kit.

for the vast majority of people here its a hobby. so why limit yourself to one brand. brand loyalty? its camera gear, not a football club.

Maybe I'm in a mood... I've had man flu which is very serious... but I don't think we should be persuading anyone and particularly not a serial switcher. Soz to be a killjoy and all but apart from feeding gas the cost/benefit/hassle analysis surely needs doing?

New kit could bring a silent shutter, slightly better eye detect, slightly faster focusing, a frame or so more per second... These things may tip the balance but for other people and perhaps even most people it's just gas, isn't it? And if it is why feed it?
The difference between DSLR and mirrorless Is huge and more than gas so anyone switching like that makes a lot of sense but going from one mirrorless system to another is bizarre and at a rate that shocks me here.

Just do your research and get the correct system that suits you.

The difference between DSLR and mirrorless Is huge and more than gas so anyone switching like that makes a lot of sense but going from one mirrorless system to another is bizarre and at a rate that shocks me here.

When I first bought mirrorless the choice was MFT either Panasonic or Oly and when buying FF mirrorless the choice was even simpler, Sony. These days there are other choices and although I can understand that for a number or reasons Sony may be the best and even clearly the best choice for anyone newly buying into FF mirrorless because of the tech/abilities and the number of native lenses available I think it's less clear that it's worthwhile switching from Nikon mirrorless.

On the wider issue of gas and enjoying it recently we've seen people selling little used high end kit and I do wonder why but as I've said before I used to do this with cars so I can't really point the finger too much the only caveat being that it's been clear from some recent comments that some can't afford it and it's those people that raise gas concerns for me.

deja vu?

It is a very nice picture (your picture) and I do like the film and prompted by all this I might watch it again :D

I like Japanese films, just watched "Our Little Sister" for the nth time.

Wise words :D better tell @rookies

When I find the A73 limiting...until then I am spending money on glass. After Japan I wanted an R4 more to be honest.
Fair point..... you do this for a living, where I am just a GAS sufferer. :)
I need to get my Sony gear out more often..... I've not even had time to wash & wax the car for some car photos :eek:

I'm sure from memory some of you A7iii users came from using a Fuji XT3? I'm wondering how you found the switch? I ask as an ex A7 user. I switched to Fuji as I preferred the colours and as someone who shoots using Jpeg only I found the Fuji files required very little post-processing a task Ive never enjoyed!
How do you find the Sony files/colours compared to Fuji now?

I'm tempted by some good deals at present to make the move for the one main reason. I'm attracted to the eye af tracking on the Sony A7iii. I have the pleasure of five active grandchildren and the ease of nailing the focus using the Sony tracking would give me a higher hit rate than I'm getting on my XT3. Yes, I know it can also be about technique but I'm anything nowadays to make my photography more pleasurable and not a chore!

Thoughts appreciated.

I'm sure from memory some of you A7iii users came from using a Fuji XT3? I'm wondering how you found the switch? I ask as an ex A7 user. I switched to Fuji as I preferred the colours and as someone who shoots using Jpeg only I found the Fuji files required very little post-processing a task Ive never enjoyed!
How do you find the Sony files/colours compared to Fuji now?

I'm tempted by some good deals at present to make the move for the one main reason. I'm attracted to the eye af tracking on the Sony A7iii. I have the pleasure of five active grandchildren and the ease of nailing the focus using the Sony tracking would give me a higher hit rate than I'm getting on my XT3. Yes, I know it can also be about technique but I'm anything nowadays to make my photography more pleasurable and not a chore!

Thoughts appreciated.

The eye af is more reliable on the 7iii. Fujis lenses are lovely, but the focus motor's in some are showing their age. The Sony is snappier with the fuji seemingly needing higher contrast to at times. In decent light it's not much of an issue though.

There's another af update coming for fuji in January but the Sony is a little way ahead now and I'd guess will stay that way for critical focus of children at wide apertures.

Can't beat those fuji colours though.

Fair point..... you do this for a living, where I am just a GAS sufferer. :)
I need to get my Sony gear out more often..... I've not even had time to wash & wax the car for some car photos :eek:

Pretty much, when it comes from I want instead of I need, the former will always end up spending more money. I know from experience, as I have more invested in guitar gear than my camera gear.

Is the new real time tracking in FW 5 or 6 is there setting to turn it on?

Well just had a little quick play before putting the battery back on charge and having to do the school run. Not really took anything just looking at setting as it still on FW5.

How does this real time AF work is it on all the time or something need to change or is that only on FW6
Also I get Black out free when doing a burst of shoots.. But not on Single Shoot is that normal?

Well just had a little quick play before putting the battery back on charge and having to do the school run. Not really took anything just looking at setting as it still on FW5.

How does this real time AF work is it on all the time or something need to change or is that only on FW6
Also I get Black out free when doing a burst of shoots.. But not on Single Shoot is that normal?

Shouldve watched the video with settings I posted.

Shouldve watched the video with settings I posted.

Just watched it again lol and now i know.. And need to get FW 6 on for the doggy eyes ha ha.. But i got to say this AF is insane hell a lot better than the Z6 but from the A7iii just a bit not that much but am still toying with it as weather is crap to do anything...

It not black out free for a Single shot photo @snerkler as you did ask this this morning but it is for eventing else and it pretty good if you use it a lot..

All the time. Although I would not get an A9 just for that. It is amazing. But I have never not been able to track using the A7iii at 10fps.

Then again I’m not tracking anything too fast or too hard to track. Maybe birds and motorsport it comes in to its own.
I'm not planning on buying one, just something that popped into my thought bank ;)
It not black out free for a Single shot photo @snerkler as you did ask this this morning but it is for eventing else and it pretty good if you use it a lot..
Thanks. I wouldn't have expected it on single shot tbh.

Just watched it again lol and now i know.. And need to get FW 6 on for the doggy eyes ha ha.. But i got to say this AF is insane hell a lot better than the Z6 but from the A7iii just a bit not that much but am still toying with it as weather is crap to do anything...

Wait until you get used to using the real time a.f absolutely smokes the A7III never mind the Z's.

Back