The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@nandbytes said the rmkiv wasn't as good as his rmkiii (ive read similar), the rmkiii isn't as good as the mkiii, which isn't as good as the a9.

depends on the lens and settings lol.

On the whole A7RIV is still better than A7RIII. Otherwise would have sent the A7RIV back instead of selling A7RIII
(actually I can still send it back, don't think I will need to)

Last edited:
But is it "good enough"? I have been looking at the A9/A7R IV and it's the cropability of the R for wildlife that attracts me but obviously I would like decent AF as well.

its more than good enough. A7RIII was good enough :)

Of course A9 is a lot better experience but cropability is nice.

on the other hand A7RIII can be had for £1350 from camera jungle!! wow!
got that much from MPB for it last week.

I am a little confused by the various lightroom plans...
I thought this was the upgrade for my LR6 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Device-Download/dp/B076JKKCYH/

but one of the reviews says this does not include a proper desktop version. I don't care for mobile at all as in I don't have a tablet. I only care for what I can use on my Mac/PC.
Also I do not care for the 1TB storage but it seems black friday offer is limited to this one...?
do I have to use their cloud storage? can't I save files locally?

I thought this was the upgrade for my LR6 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom-Device-Download/dp/B076JKKCYH/

but one of the reviews says this does not include a proper desktop version. I don't care for mobile at all as in I don't have a tablet. I only care for what I can use on my Mac/PC.
Also I do not care for the 1TB storage but it seems black friday offer is limited to this one...?

That the LR cc it the slim down version still good but I prefer LR classic

You need there photography plan which has both

ah so LR CC is LR Completely Crap :p

I guess I need the classic version to be able to do everything I can do in my current LR6.

Thank you.

Yup the classic is the same as the paid version I use it as I use plugins too which can’t be used when cc

Lightroom CC whilst it’s also made for mobile there is a desktop version. At present it’s a cut down version of the desktop but has the ability to be the same on a tablet or phone.

Lightroom CC (creative cloud) feels like it will be the way adobe will be wanting to go in the future. I can see lightroom cc classic eventually going the same way as lightroom 6 (standalone) has. It makes business sense for adobe to get users using the cloud based system so they can sell the additional cloud storage as an extra.

There are some who think the photography plan option will be on offer on cyber Monday but I have my doubts.

Last edited:
Lightroom CC whilst it’s also made for mobile there is a desktop version. At present it’s a cut downtown the desktop but has the ability to be the same on a tablet or phone.

Lightroom CC (creative cloud) feels like it will be the way adobe will be wanting to go in the future. I can see lightroom cc classic eventually going the same way as lightroom 6 (standalone) has. It makes business sense for adobe to get users using the cloud based system so they can sell the additional cloud storage as an extra.

There are some who think the photography plan option will be on offer on cyber Monday but I have my doubts.

But no plugin works with the Lr cc does it only the classic

Lightroom CC whilst it’s also made for mobile there is a desktop version. At present it’s a cut downtown the desktop but has the ability to be the same on a tablet or phone.

as above LR CC is no good.
I rather just convert my files to DNG and continue using LR6 than LR CC which basically has none of features I regularly need and use. LR CC is not a LR6 replacement but LR classic is.

Which 24-70mm and what's wrong with it?

The sony-zeiss f4 24-70. Copies may vary, but all the images I saw when considering the lens had soft corners that wouldn't get clean at any aperture. I've since seen a few that pictures DID look good edge to edge so there are some good copies out there, but they've been the exception rather than rule. The centres are sharp (not that sharpness is everything) but that's not good enough in something at that price.

A9 is special with it good lens line up
It is but there’s too many negatives (for me and what I want) to justify the huge expense. Plus the grip’s still not ‘right’ for me as it’s the same as the A7riii isn’t it?
depends on the lens and settings lol.

On the whole A7RIV is still better than A7RIII. Otherwise would have sent the A7RIV back instead of selling A7RIII
(actually I can still send it back, don't think I will need to)
So from your experience the AF is better on the iv than the iii? Have you owned/tried the A7iii?
The sony-zeiss f4 24-70. Copies may vary, but all the images I saw when considering the lens had soft corners that wouldn't get clean at any aperture. I've since seen a few that pictures DID look good edge to edge so there are some good copies out there, but they've been the exception rather than rule. The centres are sharp (not that sharpness is everything) but that's not good enough in something at that price.
This would be a ‘must have’ lens for me and I was disappointed when I first looked but I believe they changed something ‘behind the scenes’ in the later ones that made it better?

I think if you play with the a9 a few days you will adjust to it. When I went back to Sony I didn’t feel much is lost and one thing Sony got a proper battery grip which I’ve also got too. You will easily get use to it mate

This would be a ‘must have’ lens for me and I was disappointed when I first looked but I believe they changed something ‘behind the scenes’ in the later ones that made it better?

I've not heard about that, but the original was 'unimpressive' to say the least. I bought the 24-105, and I think it's a better lens in every way except for bulk.

as above LR CC is no good.
I rather just convert my files to DNG and continue using LR6 than LR CC which basically has none of features I regularly need and use. LR CC is not a LR6 replacement but LR classic is.
It depends how you view the two. With the photography plan you get both so get the best of both worlds. I often imported to LR desktop and add to my cloud folder to sync to mobile. I then start doing the basics on a tablet before checking them and ‘finishing’ them on the desktop. Exports are done on the desktop. It’s great to get away from the desktop but edits synced on both.

A few of my friends do the same and their editing skills are fantastic. The mobile app opens a whole new world to editing and improvements that weren't available previously. Lightroom CC is a work in progress. It will get better in time and will likely overtake the desktop version in the end (just like mirrorless tech is overtaking DSLR tech).

Last edited:
I’ve very very impress with the tamron 28-74 2.8 very quick and so far sharp

I think if you play with the a9 a few days you will adjust to it. When I went back to Sony I didn’t feel much is lost and one thing Sony got a proper battery grip which I’ve also got too. You will easily get use to it mate
Nothing to do with getting used to it tbh, grip’s not ideal, 5.5fps mechanical shutter not ideal, base DR not ideal, and both LCD and EVF are a backwards step.

Ok so most of those are minor but it’s too many “not ideals” to justify the swap and serious outlay (y)

Nothing to do with getting used to it tbh, grip’s not ideal, 5.5fps mechanical shutter not ideal, base DR not ideal, and both LCD and EVF are a backwards step.

Ok so most of those are minor but it’s too many “not ideals” to justify the swap and serious outlay (y)

Are you really needing more than 5.5 FPS MS when your Z7 cant do more than that properly in all modes (in comparison to 20 FPS in total silence)? By ISO 100 they are exactly the same.

Sony A9 is all about its electronic shutter, black out-free EVF, silent shooting, speed, responsiveness and its incredible AI based AF system.
I think the best advice would be to test one out and see if it lives up to the hype and your actual needs.
I don’t feel the sensor is lacking in terms of IQ/ISO/DR, it’s just not the very best of the best that’s all. :)

Are you really needing more than 5.5 FPS MS when your Z7 cant do more than that properly in all modes (in comparison to 20 FPS in total silence)? By ISO 100 they are exactly the same.
I don’t “need” more than 5.5fps but in an ideal world I’d have 8fps minimum.
I think the point has been missed. In order to persuade me to swap systems and have to invest some serious money (again) the camera would have to be ‘perfect’ for my needs. I do quite a bit of landscape and city scenes etc so the extra DR at base is useful.
Sony A9 is all about its electronic shutter, black out-free EVF, silent shooting, speed, responsiveness and its incredible AI based AF system.
I think the best advice would be to test one out and see if it lives up to the hype and your actual needs.
I don’t feel the sensor is lacking in terms of IQ/ISO/DR, it’s just not the very best of the best that’s all. :)
That’s the point, it’s not really a camera aimed at me. Yes there are times when I need good AF etc, but it’s not the be all and end all for my wants (y)

I’ve not found iso or DR lacking at all yet

It depends how you view the two. With the photography plan you get both so get the best of both worlds. I often imported to LR desktop and add to my cloud folder to sync to mobile. I then start doing the basics on a tablet before checking them and ‘finishing’ them on the desktop. Exports are done on the desktop. It’s great to get away from the desktop but edits synced on both.

A few of my friends do the same and their editing skills are fantastic. The mobile app opens a whole new world to editing and improvements that weren't available previously. Lightroom CC is a work in progress. It will get better in time and will likely overtake the desktop version in the end (just like mirrorless tech is overtaking DSLR tech).

as mentioned above I personally don't care for a tablet and do not own one any more.
I can see why folks who own tablets like it.

So from your experience the AF is better on the iv than the iii? Have you owned/tried the A7iii?

Yes indeed for the most part.

I have used the A7III (also A9), never owned one. I never felt A7III was particularly better than A7RIII in terms of AF tracking+responsiveness. At least the difference wasn't large enough to make it a consideration for me. The main benefit of the A7III was wider frame coverage (which is still is one of its benefits) and also a deeper buffer (which again is still one of its benefits thanks to smaller files).

A9 especially after v5.0 FW update is better than all the of the A7 series tbh. The tracking experience is on another level!

Last edited:
How good are the Sony TC with the 70-200 2.8 gm pls?

very very good. I'd go as far as saying Sony FE TCs are the best ones I have used optically.

I was thinking of selling mine actually.... ;)

I’ve no lens to put on one yet lol. Why you thinking selling which lens you’ve used on it

I’ve no lens to put on one yet lol. Why you thinking selling which lens you’ve used on it

used them with 100-400GM and 200-600mm.

Its get a bit dark with 200-600mm so I don't use them much.
But I have both of them and would prefer to sell together.

I haven't been on a lot recently, but did see Alans post last night and was gonna respond...

Thanks for that.

I haven't had time to try my A7 today but I hope to have a go at the weekend. At the moment I don't know what the problem is. I know I'm testing the AF hard by expecting spot on focus on small detail but I haven't noticed these problems in the past and I've been taking the same sort of pictures for years now. I don't think it's a technique issue such as camera movement whilst taking pictures as I can get the results I want with MF with the A7 and with AF with my GX9.

I don't see the a problem with ruler tests as it's only providing an easy measurement and putting a number to it which is difficult to gauge with a flower/leaf/detail shot in the wild. I'll go through the whole thing again when I get time but at the moment I have zero confidence in the camera in AF mode but I don't know what the problem is.

Back