The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You have been on the verge of doing this for a while and mentioned it a few times. You should just do it.

Will it make any difference though as you have said yourself you haven't really got the interest any more?

Maybe better to just get rid completely without replacing.

I find the A9 a joy to use so its strange to see someone so out of love with it.

You're probably right regarding the interest part and yes, I have been considering parting with it for the past 6 months +.
Thinking back, the last time I really really enjoyed photography was when I used to have my original X100 and I have always regretted not keeping it. However the Sony system has also been fun at times too.
Technically the Sony system is one of, if not the best available and I bought into that system for the end results and how easy they are to achieve.
I was planning to head down the paid photography route along side my normal job, so a full-frame Sony system was the best choice, however that plan changed and I've now ended up with a big pool for cash invested in my current Sony gear.
My 16-35mm f2.8 GM has gone off for the recall today so I will give it more thought.

I totally agree with you Rob, this is why I am going to think about it long and hard before I bite the bullet. I have had my Sony equipment for a couple of years now so I am not chopping and changing compared to many on here. :)
I used to have the fast lenses like the f2.8 24-70 and 70-200. I dropped down to the f4 versions before leaving Nikon and didn’t really miss them that much for what I do. The f4 versions are more than good enough for my needs. I kind of miss the faster apertures with the long lenses I had but the 100-400 at f5.6 still seems to be ok and not as limiting as I thought.

You have been on the verge of doing this for a while and mentioned it a few times. You should just do it.

Will it make any difference though as you have said yourself you haven't really got the interest any more?

Maybe better to just get rid completely without replacing.

I find the A9 a joy to use so its strange to see someone so out of love with it.
If it’s a case of keeping or dropping photography completely that always feels like a difficult decision to make due to the what if. Maybe downgrading won’t help spark the interest again, maybe it will.

You're probably right regarding the interest part and yes, I have been considering parting with it for the past 6 months +.
Thinking back, the last time I really really enjoyed photography was when I used to have my original X100 and I have always regretted not keeping it. However the Sony system has also been fun at times too.
Technically the Sony system is one of, if not the best available and I bought into that system for the end results and how easy they are to achieve.
I was planning to head down the paid photography route along side my normal job, so a full-frame Sony system was the best choice, however that plan changed and I've now ended up with a big pool for cash invested in my current Sony gear.
My 16-35mm f2.8 GM has gone off for the recall today so I will give it more thought.

How about selling all GM lenses and just getting the 24-105mm and the 55 1.8?

You could always swap the A9 for A7III.

That way you’d have a brilliant kit to cover most things, and probably recoup about 4K of your investment.

If it’s a case of keeping or dropping photography completely that always feels like a difficult decision to make due to the what if. Maybe downgrading won’t help spark the interest again, maybe it will.

He has mentioned a few times though that he isn't doing any photography and hasn't for a while so seems silly to have so much money tied up in equipment that is loosing value every day.

If I was in that situation I would flog it and spend the cash on something that would bring me enjoyment. You would get a decent holiday for that.

I used to have the fast lenses like the f2.8 24-70 and 70-200. I dropped down to the f4 versions before leaving Nikon and didn’t really miss them that much for what I do. The f4 versions are more than good enough for my needs. I kind of miss the faster apertures with the long lenses I had but the 100-400 at f5.6 still seems to be ok and not as limiting as I thought.

Yes, it feels like a difficult decision, especially when I have around £7.5k+ worth of gear just sat there which only gets used to photograph family etc, that's why I have been pondering over selling the Sony gear for over 6 months now and moving to something cheaper. :eek:
I will most like replace it with a Fuji system but I have to stick to my idea of releasing some money by doing so, it is pointless is selling everything only to spend it all again on something else.

How about selling all GM lenses and just getting the 24-105mm and the 55 1.8?

You could always swap the A9 for A7III.

This is true, if you wanna go down that route @Riz_Guru let me the first to offer up one of my A7III's.

There is no way you will be happy going back to a crop sensor, been there done that.

Last edited:
I agree, however the main thinking behind jumping ship is as follows....

1) Reduce the overall financial investment I currently have sat in my photography gear. circa £7.5k approx.
2) Fancy trying something different / new but 100% understand that from a technical standpoint, nothing beats the Sony A9.

I am still deciding as it's a big move, so what to be certain its the right one. :)
Maybe we could do a swap for a couple of weeks to get it out of our systems ;)

53% off all topaz products.

On face of it you have to buy the whole lot but there is a way to apply the discount to just the ones may you want. ;)
if any one is interested feel free to ping me and and I'll let you know the trick :D

Sony A9 + FE 85mm f1.4 GM

49146979182_77eb9d29b9_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've had another look at my A7. The mount screws are all tight :D

It's not really back focusing it's bottom focusing. Imagine the focus box being divided into three, what the camera is doing is focusing in the bottom third of the focus box rather than in the third through the middle. I can see this clearly with peaking. Placing the main point of focus in the bottom third of the box gets a perfect result whereas placing it in the centre of the box gets a bottom focused result. It does this with both the 35 and 55mm lenses at f1.8.

If anyone with a f1.8 or faster gets time can they have a look and see what their camera does?

I can't see this as being right but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm expecting too much.

Last edited:
Whats your full line-up at the moment and what do you shoot? Would make more sense you staying Sony :)
I currently have the following.... :eek:

Sony A9 + Grip
Nissin i60A flashes + Air 1
16-35mm f2.8 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM
1.4x TC
85mm f1.4 GM
55mm f1.8

All the right tools for taking great images... mmmmm :)

Sony A9 + Grip
Nissin i60A flashes + Air 1
16-35mm f2.8 GM
24-70mm f2.8 GM
70-200mm f2.8 GM
1.4x TC
85mm f1.4 GM
55mm f1.8

lovely kit! Definitely some easy ways to make cost savings with the lineup though :).

You could even swap GM for Tamron lenses and just selling the 16-35 gm would probably pay for Tamron 17-28 (£719 atm) and 28-75 (£599 atm).

or the 24-105 f4 zoom and a prime or two

It's not really back focusing it's bottom focusing. Imagine the focus box being divided into three, what the camera is doing is focusing in the bottom third of the focus box rather than in the third through the middle. I can see this clearly with peaking. Placing the main point of focus in the bottom third of the box gets a perfect result whereas placing it in the centre of the box gets a bottom focused result. It does this with both the 35 and 55mm lenses at f1.8.

If anyone with a f1.8 or faster gets time can they have a look and see what their camera does?

I can't see this as being right but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm expecting too much.

I have the 35 f/1.8 and 55 f/1.8 your camera is faulty.

Sony A9 + Grip - KEEP
Nissin i60A flashes + Air 1 - SELL
16-35mm f2.8 GM - SELL
24-70mm f2.8 GM - SELL
70-200mm f2.8 GM - SELL
1.4x TC - KEEP
85mm f1.4 GM - KEEP
55mm f1.8 - SELL

BUY - 24GM CV40/1.2 (obviously ;) ) OR....... just the Sigma 35/1.2 :)

^^^ There. All IMO of course :)

Last edited:

I’ve known this before where the focus box doesn’t quite line up with the actual AF point, but this would seem strange when it’s on the sensor. It’s easier to understand with the off sensor AF module and focus screen of DSLR.

Sony A9 + Grip - KEEP
Nissin i60A flashes + Air 1 - SELL
16-35mm f2.8 GM - SELL
24-70mm f2.8 GM - SELL
70-200mm f2.8 GM - SELL
1.4x TC - KEEP
85mm f1.4 GM - KEEP
55mm f1.8 - SELL

BUY - 24GM CV40/1.2 (obviously ;) ) OR....... just the Sigma 35/1.2 :)

^^^ There. All IMO of course :)
I’d agree with the above but would probably say sell the 1.4TC as there are a limited number of lenses it works with anyway and if the 70-200 f2.8 is gone there seems less point in keeping it.

Just seen this on the rumour site. :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, these stats are worthless
Sony's FF MILC sales stats include an ongoing world first:
Sony's A7III is first ever FF "Mirrorless" ILC to have been dumped in record numbers by Japanese consumers, within its year of introduction, as well as the year after, that it has flooded the domestic market with USED A7III exceeding the entire FF USED market of all other older camera mfrs models combined. (In other words, fewer old FF Canon dSLRs are being dumped than Sony's new A7III, only old Nikon FF dSLRs, come 2nd; and NO significant Canon FF MILCs are being dumped on USED market at all.)
Generally, VAST MAJORITY of most prosumers/consumers BUY a newly released model, when it faces the "first ever" real "discount" sales cycle, which for BOTH Canon FF EOS R/EOS RP, as well as Nikon Z7/Z6, started ONLY THIS NOVEMBER 2019! (NOT 2018!)
For Sony "consumers", in Japan, they have NO CHOICE to try out A7III except via buy-to-try, then dump it soon after, back onto the local market, thus leaving A7III up for yet another "sale" to others needing to "try-it".
Japan is predominantly Canon-land, so consumers will typically IGNORE subpar FF Sonys and FF Nikons entirely, except to "tinker-test-drive" them out of curiosity, only to reconfirm discover Sonys/Nikons are perpetually behind in capabilities, so they just flock to Canons "as usual" instead.
This MONTH, is where any minority Sony buyers will decide to keep or dump the latest A9II, A7RIV, A6600, A6400, back on to the USED market in JAPAN.
Majority, in Japan and Globally, will finally and pick up whichever FF Canon suits their needs best, like EOS R, or RP. (Finally facing "global black friday sale" first time; last year, new models were NOT discounted at all for "black friday sale".
Even though "black friday sale" originates in "US thxgiving day+week sales", other countries, like UK/EU have NO such thxgiving Day at all YET, they are having "black friday sales" RIGHT NOW !!! And Canada's "black friday sale week" has been following likewise for last 10+years, even though Canada's thxgiving day is way back in October, where NO SUCH "thxgiving day" SALE exists at all! Australia doesn't have ANY thxgvng day, but why have "sale" like USA, UK, EU, at all? Do the Japanese have any "black friday sale", too?! (this "black friday sale" is intended to DISCOUNT product that's been released already AWHILE BACK, not just "yesterday" (or just out last month)
HOW MANY of you bought ANY ONE NEW FF SONY "when available in first month"?
Likely, only a tiny minority.
OR most of you MAJORITY waited at least for the "first DISCOUNT sale" many months later, in the year after?
Only those "minority" who buy "day one" are those who either dump it soon after, or write it off as a business expense, to keep it, for using a short while (curious amateur youtubers), and get a different camera, anyway, soon after. None of these buyers are serious "keepers" like the majority who will WAIT often much later to get their new camera, to keep for the next 10 years or so.
I still have and use my old Canon EOS 5DMkII, and no Sony FF MILC can adequately meet my needs, nor match any Canons to date. Those who flock to Sonys are simply those who NEVER have the skills to fully utilize any FF Canon EOS dSLRs fully, they only operate Canon dSLRs like a nooby using a consumer Sony Cybershot (same old technology in FF Sony A9II/A7III (rudimentary live-preview))
I finally, got my first Canon FF Full-Live-View EOS EVF Vari-Angle Swivel-Touch-Screen Blackout-Free Mechanical Shutter High-Continuous RAW Stills High-Speed Live-Actual-Capture-REVIEW-Display ExpSIM Live-Pre-View ILC = EOS R (brand new; direct from mfr; early November 2019, BEFORE "black friday thxgvng sales" at a lower price than any others worldwide)
+ got my first ever OEM Canon New Fast RF15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Parfocal AF Zoom to go along with my EOS R (brand new; direct from mfr; early November 2019, BEFORE "black friday thxgvng sales" at a lower price than any others worldwide)
NEITHER of these (camera or lens) were "available on DISCOUNT" back in 2018 "thxgiving/blackfriday or cybermonday or xmas or boxingday" (The FAST UWA lens i wanted, was not yet revealed, so unavailable till 2019)
Obviously, VAST MAJORITY of serious Canon FF EOS R buyers would be buying NOW, not before.
Right now, the NEWEST RF "L" Lenses (released recently) are NOT Discounted at all, for "thxgiving blackfriday 2019" not even via minority resellers.
My being a REAL Canon user, getting REAL discounts DIRECT from Canon is "normal".
Others who buy from "any unknown reseller" aren't seriously REAL Canon users, just gear abusers, buy-n-sell willy-nilly, clueless consumers who never learn to fully use their gear correctly. (they dump their gear due to their INCOMPETENCE, not due to any shortcomings of their gear)
Sonys vast unsold new MILC inventory, going back to 2012 to 2019, are mostly piled up in USA, where they linger beyond 365 days of supply, so, the many new unsold Sony FF+APSC models compete with the many dumped Sonys on the USED USA market. The unaware, in USA, buy Sonys. The wary in USA, avoid Sonys altogether.
Sonys ANTIQUATED distribution of FF MILCs is much like USA's auto-industry of 1990's to early 2000's, with vast majority of unsold new (GM/FORD/CHRYSLER) inventory competing with freshly dumped "low mileage" barely 3-month old "rental cars" (BULK from car rental fleet companies OWNED by GM/Ford/Chrysler) = this is how GM/FORD/CHRYSLER generated "best sales" (of cars no individual "registered" REAL endusers were buying at all)
LET that sink in !!!
Nobody knows how many DUMPED Sony A7III, USED, are RESOLD as NEW (USA, in particular). In Japan, USED A7III numbers follow close behind NEW A7III numbers, so, the NET "keeper" numbers are closer to DEAD LAST.
i.e. If Sony sells 10, and buyers DUMP 9, the net effect is actually: 1 keeper (1 sale, not 10).
To date, I've NEVER seen any FF Sony "in the field" (in Canada). 2012-2019.
The only time Sony A7 showed up in a Best Buy Canada store, never newer versions! No A7#, A7S#, no A7R#, no A9#.
I only just recently saw the first A7III ever, at a local Henry's (pro camera shop)
A7II is a piece of junk, like old cybershots. (no wonder the Japanese must buy-to-try, and dump ASAP in record numbers!!!)
Nikon Z7/Z6, were better built version of A7III, BUT using only old "sony cybershot" live preview. (antiquated!)
Panasonic S1/S1R were completely MIA (KIA?!) ... they use same old "sony cybershot" live preview (much like m43 milcs)
Basically, any MILC relying on OLD videocam rolling laggy SONY sensor Past-Preview-VIDEOFEDFRAMES-Only is going to be "MIRRORLESS" SHUTTER-BLACKOUT syndrome prone. (no better than any BASIC consumer sony cybershot

@nandbytes how do you find the colour science of the A7RIV compared to the A7riii and A7iii? I’ve read that some folk are saying the A7RIV colours are more natural, would you agree?

I’d agree with the above but would probably say sell the 1.4TC as there are a limited number of lenses it works with anyway and if the 70-200 f2.8 is gone there seems less point in keeping it.

I left that in for some extra focal length options. I've not got a clue what it actually works with though :)

Just seen this on the rumour site. :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, these stats are worthless
Sony's FF MILC sales stats include an ongoing world first:
Sony's A7III is first ever FF "Mirrorless" ILC to have been dumped in record numbers by Japanese consumers, within its year of introduction, as well as the year after, that it has flooded the domestic market with USED A7III exceeding the entire FF USED market of all other older camera mfrs models combined. (In other words, fewer old FF Canon dSLRs are being dumped than Sony's new A7III, only old Nikon FF dSLRs, come 2nd; and NO significant Canon FF MILCs are being dumped on USED market at all.)
Generally, VAST MAJORITY of most prosumers/consumers BUY a newly released model, when it faces the "first ever" real "discount" sales cycle, which for BOTH Canon FF EOS R/EOS RP, as well as Nikon Z7/Z6, started ONLY THIS NOVEMBER 2019! (NOT 2018!)
For Sony "consumers", in Japan, they have NO CHOICE to try out A7III except via buy-to-try, then dump it soon after, back onto the local market, thus leaving A7III up for yet another "sale" to others needing to "try-it".
Japan is predominantly Canon-land, so consumers will typically IGNORE subpar FF Sonys and FF Nikons entirely, except to "tinker-test-drive" them out of curiosity, only to reconfirm discover Sonys/Nikons are perpetually behind in capabilities, so they just flock to Canons "as usual" instead.
This MONTH, is where any minority Sony buyers will decide to keep or dump the latest A9II, A7RIV, A6600, A6400, back on to the USED market in JAPAN.
Majority, in Japan and Globally, will finally and pick up whichever FF Canon suits their needs best, like EOS R, or RP. (Finally facing "global black friday sale" first time; last year, new models were NOT discounted at all for "black friday sale".
Even though "black friday sale" originates in "US thxgiving day+week sales", other countries, like UK/EU have NO such thxgiving Day at all YET, they are having "black friday sales" RIGHT NOW !!! And Canada's "black friday sale week" has been following likewise for last 10+years, even though Canada's thxgiving day is way back in October, where NO SUCH "thxgiving day" SALE exists at all! Australia doesn't have ANY thxgvng day, but why have "sale" like USA, UK, EU, at all? Do the Japanese have any "black friday sale", too?! (this "black friday sale" is intended to DISCOUNT product that's been released already AWHILE BACK, not just "yesterday" (or just out last month)
HOW MANY of you bought ANY ONE NEW FF SONY "when available in first month"?
Likely, only a tiny minority.
OR most of you MAJORITY waited at least for the "first DISCOUNT sale" many months later, in the year after?
Only those "minority" who buy "day one" are those who either dump it soon after, or write it off as a business expense, to keep it, for using a short while (curious amateur youtubers), and get a different camera, anyway, soon after. None of these buyers are serious "keepers" like the majority who will WAIT often much later to get their new camera, to keep for the next 10 years or so.
I still have and use my old Canon EOS 5DMkII, and no Sony FF MILC can adequately meet my needs, nor match any Canons to date. Those who flock to Sonys are simply those who NEVER have the skills to fully utilize any FF Canon EOS dSLRs fully, they only operate Canon dSLRs like a nooby using a consumer Sony Cybershot (same old technology in FF Sony A9II/A7III (rudimentary live-preview))
I finally, got my first Canon FF Full-Live-View EOS EVF Vari-Angle Swivel-Touch-Screen Blackout-Free Mechanical Shutter High-Continuous RAW Stills High-Speed Live-Actual-Capture-REVIEW-Display ExpSIM Live-Pre-View ILC = EOS R (brand new; direct from mfr; early November 2019, BEFORE "black friday thxgvng sales" at a lower price than any others worldwide)
+ got my first ever OEM Canon New Fast RF15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Parfocal AF Zoom to go along with my EOS R (brand new; direct from mfr; early November 2019, BEFORE "black friday thxgvng sales" at a lower price than any others worldwide)
NEITHER of these (camera or lens) were "available on DISCOUNT" back in 2018 "thxgiving/blackfriday or cybermonday or xmas or boxingday" (The FAST UWA lens i wanted, was not yet revealed, so unavailable till 2019)
Obviously, VAST MAJORITY of serious Canon FF EOS R buyers would be buying NOW, not before.
Right now, the NEWEST RF "L" Lenses (released recently) are NOT Discounted at all, for "thxgiving blackfriday 2019" not even via minority resellers.
My being a REAL Canon user, getting REAL discounts DIRECT from Canon is "normal".
Others who buy from "any unknown reseller" aren't seriously REAL Canon users, just gear abusers, buy-n-sell willy-nilly, clueless consumers who never learn to fully use their gear correctly. (they dump their gear due to their INCOMPETENCE, not due to any shortcomings of their gear)
Sonys vast unsold new MILC inventory, going back to 2012 to 2019, are mostly piled up in USA, where they linger beyond 365 days of supply, so, the many new unsold Sony FF+APSC models compete with the many dumped Sonys on the USED USA market. The unaware, in USA, buy Sonys. The wary in USA, avoid Sonys altogether.
Sonys ANTIQUATED distribution of FF MILCs is much like USA's auto-industry of 1990's to early 2000's, with vast majority of unsold new (GM/FORD/CHRYSLER) inventory competing with freshly dumped "low mileage" barely 3-month old "rental cars" (BULK from car rental fleet companies OWNED by GM/Ford/Chrysler) = this is how GM/FORD/CHRYSLER generated "best sales" (of cars no individual "registered" REAL endusers were buying at all)
LET that sink in !!!
Nobody knows how many DUMPED Sony A7III, USED, are RESOLD as NEW (USA, in particular). In Japan, USED A7III numbers follow close behind NEW A7III numbers, so, the NET "keeper" numbers are closer to DEAD LAST.
i.e. If Sony sells 10, and buyers DUMP 9, the net effect is actually: 1 keeper (1 sale, not 10).
To date, I've NEVER seen any FF Sony "in the field" (in Canada). 2012-2019.
The only time Sony A7 showed up in a Best Buy Canada store, never newer versions! No A7#, A7S#, no A7R#, no A9#.
I only just recently saw the first A7III ever, at a local Henry's (pro camera shop)
A7II is a piece of junk, like old cybershots. (no wonder the Japanese must buy-to-try, and dump ASAP in record numbers!!!)
Nikon Z7/Z6, were better built version of A7III, BUT using only old "sony cybershot" live preview. (antiquated!)
Panasonic S1/S1R were completely MIA (KIA?!) ... they use same old "sony cybershot" live preview (much like m43 milcs)
Basically, any MILC relying on OLD videocam rolling laggy SONY sensor Past-Preview-VIDEOFEDFRAMES-Only is going to be "MIRRORLESS" SHUTTER-BLACKOUT syndrome prone. (no better than any BASIC consumer sony cybershot

This is not the only site to have its trolls. :rolleyes:

I left that in for some extra focal length options. I've not got a clue what it actually works with though :)
It’s surprising how few lenses they work with. I think I’d have purchased one but it doesn’t work with the 70-200 f4 I have. The only lens that it works with that I have is the 100-400 but that’s already at f5.6.

Last edited:
@nandbytes how do you find the colour science of the A7RIV compared to the A7riii and A7iii? I’ve read that some folk are saying the A7RIV colours are more natural, would you agree?

I’ve found the colour from my a9 more natural than I got from my a7iii

Back