The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thank you so much for this. I spent one whole evening traversing that thread and I missed that. Someone quipped that the answer to all my questions are in the thread somewhere. Thanks so much for telling me where to go. I will get the E version.

I think you'll like it. It can be used for just about anything but I think it's maybe best used at wider apertures and portrait/full body distance.

Not Sony related...

There's a dye transfer print sale at The Online Photgrapher. The print guy is Ctein and he's told his dye transfer story in a series of posts on that site. They're interesting, if anyone is interested.

Here's a link to the sale...

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...er-dye-transfer-print-sale-one-week-only.html

Here's the first part of the story...

https://theonlinephotographer.typep...and-me-a-meandering-half-century-journey.html

The other parts can be found by typing "dye transfer and me" into the search box. I think there's 4 parts.

Yes indeed for the most part.

I have used the A7III (also A9), never owned one. I never felt A7III was particularly better than A7RIII in terms of AF tracking+responsiveness. At least the difference wasn't large enough to make it a consideration for me. The main benefit of the A7III was wider frame coverage (which is still is one of its benefits) and also a deeper buffer (which again is still one of its benefits thanks to smaller files).

A9 especially after v5.0 FW update is better than all the of the A7 series tbh. The tracking experience is on another level!
Thanks for this. TBH the A7RIV AF coverage is plenty imo (y)

as above LR CC is no good.
I rather just convert my files to DNG and continue using LR6 than LR CC which basically has none of features I regularly need and use. LR CC is not a LR6 replacement but LR classic is.

I do so wish they would do a standalone product. If you want the latest upgrade and tweak and cloud based stuff then that's fine but the average person can get by without it. I do everything on a single desktop so it's pointless to me....

I guess that one advantage of the subscription is that it should force you to go out shooting more, so you have more stuff to edit, so you are getting your monies worth per month :ROFLMAO:

I do so wish they would do a standalone product. If you want the latest upgrade and tweak and cloud based stuff then that's fine but the average person can get by without it. I do everything on a single desktop so it's pointless to me....

I guess that one advantage of the subscription is that it should force you to go out shooting more, so you have more stuff to edit, so you are getting your monies worth per month [emoji23]
Lack of stand-alone LR is what will stop me using Adobe eventually.

I guess that one advantage of the subscription is that it should force you to go out shooting more, so you have more stuff to edit, so you are getting your monies worth per month :ROFLMAO:

Don't think it'll change how much I shoot. But I shoot plenty anyway. I racked up 20K shots last year.
Already on 3K shutter count on my new camera. So I am happy with the amount I shoot :)

The main problem is I don't want to pay £120 for it. At £60-80 I'd go for it otherwise I'm going to look for alternatives.

Don't think it'll change how much I shoot. But I shoot plenty anyway. I racked up 20K shots last year.
Already on 3K shutter count on my new camera. So I am happy with the amount I shoot :)

The main problem is I don't want to pay £120 for it. At £60-80 I'd go for it otherwise I'm going to look for alternatives.

I’ve tried looking for alternative but still end up back. LR is just too polish to leave

A7RIII coverage wasn't bad tbh but that doesn't take anything away from A7III having full frame coverage.
I came from a Nikon d750 and D810 so the A7riii AF coverage was quite an improvement. Like you say it's not as good as other sonys like the A7iii but depending what you came from it can be a big advantage. I would of course love full frame AF coverage but then most would.

I came from a Nikon d750 and D810 so the A7riii AF coverage was quite an improvement. Like you say it's not as good as other sonys like the A7iii but depending what you came from it can be a big advantage. I would of course love full frame AF coverage but then most would.

It's improved in the A7RIV. You now have full vertical frame coverage.
Not sure why they didn't go for full frame coverage both vertically and horizontally. I wonder if its something to do with the high res sensors and amount of data that needs processing. Z7 obviously gives full coverage but it also isn't great at AF.

Sitting in bird hides last few months, I have not seen a single Sony apart from my own. Mostly still canon and nikon DSLRs. Couple Nikon Z6, a couple Oly E-M1ii and one panasonic GH5 so far.
D500 is the most popular one.
And not a single Fuji either.

Last edited:
Sitting in bird hides last few months, I have not seen a single Sony apart from my own. Mostly still canon and nikon DSLRs. Couple Nikon Z6, a couple Oly E-M1ii and one panasonic GH5 so far.
D500 is the most popular one.
And not a single Fuji either.

They are popping up in places, I tagged along with a pro sports photographer to the last Northern Ireland home game he shouts Sony and there was a couple of A9’s being used by some others which I didn’t expect to see.

Was also at a job the other week photographing an event for a local business. There was a couple of press photographers there with A9’s or A7’s . Have seen press photographers using Sony’s at other things as well.

Have also seen a couple of Sonys on an American tv show recently. Can’t remember which one think it was one of the shows my daughter watches. Riverdale or Nancy Drew.

Obviously I see the video guys using them a lot at weddings as well.

It's improved in the A7RIV. You now have full vertical frame coverage.
Not sure why they didn't go for full frame coverage both vertically and horizontally. I wonder if its something to do with the high res sensors and amount of data that needs processing. Z7 obviously gives full coverage but it also isn't great at AF.
TBH I've never wanted to focus on anything at the complete edges so edge to edge coverage isn't necessary for my needs, all the cameras have way more frame coverage than my old D750 and D850 anyway.

Have you used the Z7 then as the "also" part of you last sentence makes it read like you have. If so how does the A7Riv compare in AF?

TBH I've never wanted to focus on anything at the complete edges so edge to edge coverage isn't necessary for my needs, all the cameras have way more frame coverage than my old D750 and D850 anyway.

Have you used the Z7 then as the "also" part of you last sentence makes it read like you have. If so how does the A7Riv compare in AF?

I'd say Z7 is more on the level of A7RII tbh for AF. Not to say its bad because my A7RII wasn't at all. Just not as good as the later generations.
Yep used Z7 quite a lot actually :) I have good access to a Z7 and X-T3 via. friends. So I have used them both a fair bit now.
A lovely body to use. I'd say the body is still better than the A7RIV ergonomics wise.

I'd say Z7 is more on the level of A7RII tbh for AF. Not to say its bad because my A7RII wasn't at all. Just not as good as the later generations.
Yep used Z7 quite a lot actually :) I have good access to a Z7 and X-T3 via. friends. So I have used them both a fair bit now.
A lovely body to use. I'd say the body is still better than the A7RIV ergonomics wise.
Thanks, so on that basis I'd imagine the A7Riv AF is substantially better than the A7Rii and therefore substantially better than the Z7? TBH I'm not after the world's best AF, something with AF-C as good as the D850, or even D750 is fine for me (y)

Madness. IMHO.

I know you didn't ask me but I felt the need to say that :D

But as long as you realise mostly all you're getting in exchange for swapping one lot of kit for another and raking money in to spend it again is a slightly different experience with something with minor plus and minus points here and there then here's hoping you enjoy the process and the experience.

Madness. IMHO.

I know you didn't ask me but I felt the need to say that :D

But as long as you realise mostly all you're getting in exchange for swapping one lot of kit for another and raking money in to spend it again is a slightly different experience with something with minor plus and minus points here and there then here's hoping you enjoy the process and the experience.
I agree, however the main thinking behind jumping ship is as follows....

1) Reduce the overall financial investment I currently have sat in my photography gear. circa £7.5k approx.
2) Fancy trying something different / new but 100% understand that from a technical standpoint, nothing beats the Sony A9.

I am still deciding as it's a big move, so what to be certain its the right one. :)

@rookies been to our favourite camera store today....... if you are interested in expanding your Sony collection, let me know.
I might be jumping ship soon :eek:
I'll start this bidding at a tenner for the A9 ;)

Thanks, so on that basis I'd imagine the A7Riv AF is substantially better than the A7Rii and therefore substantially better than the Z7? TBH I'm not after the world's best AF, something with AF-C as good as the D850, or even D750 is fine for me (y)

yep :)
Z7 has a number of other "issues" (i am quoting issues because I don't mean it in a bad way) such as lower frame rate, lack of eyeAF in non-wide/auto like AF modes etc. Also not to mention some Z primes (35 and 85 IME) seems to focus slower than equivalent FE primes. That adds to it too.

Tbh for first attempt nikon have done an amazing job of it. The IBIS is fantastic (don't care what people say but better than A7RII/III). they got the body design nailed with good protection (had to buy 4 gen on sony to get same level!!!).

I agree, however the main thinking behind jumping ship is as follows....

1) Reduce the overall financial investment I currently have sat in my photography gear. circa £7.5k approx.
2) Fancy trying something different / new but 100% understand that from a technical standpoint, nothing beats the Sony A9.

I am still deciding as it's a big move, so what to be certain its the right one. :)
Could you cut down the lenses to slightly lower versions(f4’s)?

The problem with cutting down after ‘investing’ some much in top end gear is there will always be a reduction in its resale value. I know from shifting my Nikon gear that I didn’t get back what I paid for it all. It’s not been a bad point moving to Sony but from a financial point it was kind of like downgrading because I lost top end lenses but then that’s because camera gear doesn’t hold value for a long period of years (it may be different if your buying and selling the same kit and only holding on to it for a few months).

Could you cut down the lenses to slightly lower versions(f4’s)?

The problem with cutting down after ‘investing’ some much in top end gear is there will always be a reduction in its resale value. I know from shifting my Nikon gear that I didn’t get back what I paid for it all. It’s not been a bad point moving to Sony but from a financial point it was kind of like downgrading because I lost top end lenses but then that’s because camera gear doesn’t hold value for a long period of years (it may be different if your buying and selling the same kit and only holding on to it for a few months).

I totally agree with you Rob, this is why I am going to think about it long and hard before I bite the bullet. I have had my Sony equipment for a couple of years now so I am not chopping and changing compared to many on here. :)

@Riz_Guru ..... a Bag Full of Tenners and a cwtch (pronounced Kutch)....

I totally agree with you Rob, this is why I am going to think about it long and hard before I bite the bullet. I have had my Sony equipment for a couple of years now so I am not chopping and changing compared to many on here. :)

You have been on the verge of doing this for a while and mentioned it a few times. You should just do it.

Will it make any difference though as you have said yourself you haven't really got the interest any more?

Maybe better to just get rid completely without replacing.

I find the A9 a joy to use so its strange to see someone so out of love with it.

@Riz_Guru & @f/2.8 ....

I’ll love the a9 and offer it a warm and safe place to stay...

Back