The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Oh, and I’ve only bought software in the sales.

I don’t get why most of you don’t subscribe to LR, it’s like an essential part of your photography.

Last edited:
One of the pieces of software I finally bought was xposure. It’s like £68 if you use FujiLove as a coupon and I reckon for those that are too tight to buy LR on subscription (I mean a tenner a month!) is a great option and is laid out just like LR now.

One of the pieces of software I finally bought was xposure. It’s like £68 if you use FujiLove as a coupon and I reckon for those that are too tight to buy LR on subscription (I mean a tenner a month!) is a great option and is laid out just like LR now.

Doesn’t look anything like LR

I don’t think it’s tight, more so that life is becoming a subscription, there’s a subscription for everything, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, Apple Music, iCloud, Apple TV. Then individual app subscriptions.

I don’t like being tied in for 12 months should be able to cancel whenever with no penalty. Or if you are forced to have 12 months, then allow you to keep using with no updates. But maybe provide a major update to encourage another 12 months. Or if the software isn’t used then roll the month over. Doesn’t it have to check in online every month anyway? So they could easily do that. I can go months without opening LR or PS, so paying for nothing.

Last edited:
@Riz_Guru keep the A9 (and grip if you want to), keep the 85mm, buy a decent 35mm and buy a suitable pancake lens, that way you have the 35/85 covered for the family and have the pancake to make the camera compact, so you will take it out the house more (slip into Wife’s handbag?)

You need to start take pictures more before you change system

If you do want to change (and loved the X100), then I think the Leica Q2 should be on your radar!!!!

Anyone here with the mbp with touchbar does it have use for LR pls?

Doesn’t look anything like LR

Check out a clip of the new X5, it’s very very similar in layout.

I don’t think it’s tight, more so that life is becoming a subscription, there’s a subscription for everything, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Spotify, Apple Music, iCloud, Apple TV. Then individual app subscriptions.

I don’t like being tied in for 12 months should be able to cancel whenever with no penalty. Or if you are forced to have 12 months, then allow you to keep using with no updates. But maybe provide a major update to encourage another 12 months. Or if the software isn’t used then roll the month over. Doesn’t it have to check in online every month anyway? So they could easily do that. I can go months without opening LR or PS, so paying for nothing.

I don’t like the fact that everything is going subs based, but for regular users it’s a must surely. If you go months without using then sure, I’d buy a basic standalone package.

I don’t use the touch at at all really other than volume. Haven’t found it useful in the slightest.

Check out a clip of the new X5, it’s very very similar in layout.

Never heard of it before - is it any good?

Re Adobe, I simply don't want to be locked in - I want the software to be completely stand alone on my computer without interference or a need for regular external validation. Until they offer that again I won't use their rental products. There's a principle behind this for me.

Never heard of it before - is it any good?

Re Adobe, I simply don't want to be locked in - I want the software to be completely stand alone on my computer without interference or a need for regular external validation. Until they offer that again I won't use their rental products. There's a principle behind this for me.

They’ve dropped the Alien Skin name and adopted Xposure only for the latest X5. I think batching is still a bit clunky from what I’ve read but as a RAW converter with lots of excellent presets, it’s well worth it. It used to cost £150 so bargain at the sale price.

Can’t say I like the move to subscription with everything now but it’s the way it’s all going. Depends how much you value it all.

Last edited:
Ah, Alienskin. I did look at it last year, but wasn't overly impressed then, though I will have another look now. Just watched the intro vid - this one's probably not for me.

I have installed a trial of DXO photolab, but they've left out important things (like perspecive correction used to be included - they want to sell you a module) and you can't add keywords in the windows version. TBH I think On1 Photoraw is probably the best alternative right now.

Last edited:
Ah, Alienskin. I did look at it last year, but wasn't overly impressed then, though I will have another look now. Just watched the intro vid - this one's probably not for me.

I have installed a trial of DXO photolab, but they've left out important things (like perspecive correction used to be included - they want to sell you a module) and you can't add keywords in the windows version. TBH I think On1 Photoraw is probably the best alternative right now.

Ive got on1 photoraw 2020 it ok but i find the grad pen and circle doesn't do a good job as the LR

I'm thinking of selling some of my 'vintage' manual focus lenses, I don't seem to use them anywhere nearly as much as I used to.

Cosina Cosinon 200mm f/3.5
Praktica 28mm f/2.8
Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8
Praktica 135mm f/2.8
Pentacon 50mm f/1.8

All M42 and each with a 'dumb' E-Mount adapter. Just giving you guys a little heads up for dibs ;)

Ive got on1 photoraw 2020 it ok but i find the grad pen and circle doesn't do a good job as the LR

They gradient is clunkier than the LR equivalent, I agree, although in some aspects the brush is better because one can generate a wider feather edge and the automask options work more effectively. It would be nice if brush size could be controlled from the mouse scroll wheel as it is in LR.

It is this your talking about

https://exposure.software

As you keep saying Xposure

For some reason I thought the E was dropped?

Try the trial version Toni and see how you get on with it. The beauty of LR is the strength of the library module. I’m not sure anything else comes close. But as a RAW converter I reckon X5 is very strong.

For some reason I thought the E was dropped?

Try the trial version Toni and see how you get on with it. The beauty of LR is the strength of the library module. I’m not sure anything else comes close. But as a RAW converter I reckon X5 is very strong.

I don't actually *need* to change. Presently screen images using photoraw, bin rejects, convert with ACR and import into LR 5.7.

Hope we have some nice weather tmr want to get back out with the camera....

Can’t say I’ve noticed tbh. Touchbar is pretty much a waste of time imo.
I don’t use the touch at at all really other than volume. Haven’t found it useful in the slightest.
Me neither, except for emojis when messaging.

I've got a couple of minolta af lenses that I used on my Minolta 9000.
35-70 and the 70-210 beer can lens
Would they be any good on my A7ii? Thinking more the 70-210?

@rookies been to our favourite camera store today....... if you are interested in expanding your Sony collection, let me know.
I might be jumping ship soon :eek:
Was this Harrisons? IIRC you’re from Sheff aren’t you, or am I confusing you with someone else?
We don’t have a proper camera store in Chez Vegas anymore so Harrisons is my nearest but I’ve not been in ages, in fact I don’t think I’ve been since the Z7 launch.

Was this Harrisons? IIRC you’re from Sheff aren’t you, or am I confusing you with someone else?
We don’t have a proper camera store in Chez Vegas anymore so Harrisons is my nearest but I’ve not been in ages, in fact I don’t think I’ve been since the Z7 launch.

Yup @ Harrison’s. :)
Been going there years, it is a proper camera store, probably one of the very few small independents left in Yorkshire.

@NewBeetle .... I’d be interested to see some pics of the 200mm Corsina.

@nandbytes how do you find the colour science of the A7RIV compared to the A7riii and A7iii? I’ve read that some folk are saying the A7RIV colours are more natural, would you agree?

can't say I have noticed a huge lot of difference. But I like the skin tones better now and are definitely more natural i.e. requires no tweaking or barely any.
For me A7RII was good enough. A7RIII and above its not something I worry any more.

How are people rating the Sony 200-600 pls

Well. I learned something. If you do a camera reset it changes your settings from RAW to jpeg.

Frosty.

HA8bDg2.jpg

Last edited:
Is the 100-400mm with 1.4x giving as good quality as the 200-600mm at the long end?

The 200-600mm is slightly better in terms is IQ and AF.

The main advantage of using 100-400mm+1.4x is it gives you nearly 0.5x magnificent with a huge working distance. That's really great for shooting insects like dragonflies etc.

Back