The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Prices matter to me, not from a bank account balance pov but I just can't see myself spending that much on a camera lens. I don't now if swapping to MFT is a good idea for you. I'll be keeping my MFT kit for the foreseeable and the bulk and visibility do matter and are a big part of the decision for me.

I would like to see examples of the same picture taken with MFT 100-400mm and FF 200-600 with the pictures adjusted to match. It's not impossible that I could get the FF lens but it is perhaps extremely unlikely.

I preferred the handling ergonomics and system software of the Olympus cameras (E-M10ii and E-M1), but eventually decided the size difference over APS-C just wasn't worth it. Now I have a dual Sony FF (indoors) and Sony APS-C (outdoors) setup and can share lenses.

I had some nice days with the M43 cameras, but somehow didn't get as many keepers as with the A7ii/A6000. Might well be user-error, though, as I'm still learning as I go along.

Samyang 18mm arrived today - look forward to having a play later.

Back to an A73 after the Z6 - only changed to get a smaller, lighter set up so will add the 28-70 and the Samyang 35mm f2.8.

First impressions ? The A7 body seems noticeably smaller and lighter than the Z6 and the lenses will save me a load of weight.

Not difficult to see where Sony can improve the A73 though - the EV and rear screen is terrible compared to the Z6.

I preferred the handling ergonomics and system software of the Olympus cameras (E-M10ii and E-M1), but eventually decided the size difference over APS-C just wasn't worth it. Now I have a dual Sony FF (indoors) and Sony APS-C (outdoors) setup and can share lenses.

I had some nice days with the M43 cameras, but somehow didn't get as many keepers as with the A7ii/A6000. Might well be user-error, though, as I'm still learning as I go along.

I don't use MFT a lot but I do like the tiny lenses (Oly 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 9-18mm, Panasonic 14-42mm, 45-150mm) the lightening speed focus which I can't see any FF system ever matching and I like the more traditional dials at the top of the camera handling over the A6xxx series with the back spinning wheel.

If going out for a walk by myself I'd choose my A7 and a prime or three every time though.

I don't use MFT a lot but I do like the tiny lenses (Oly 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8, 9-18mm, Panasonic 14-42mm, 45-150mm) the lightening speed focus which I can't see any FF system ever matching and I like the more traditional dials at the top of the camera handling over the A6xxx series with the back spinning wheel.

If going out for a walk by myself I'd choose my A7 and a prime or three every time though.

You need to use a more modern FF MILC.

You need to use a more modern FF MILC.

I'd like to be proved wrong but you do know how fast MFT can focus with a fast to focus lens? From the usual vid and YouTube reviews I've seen I just haven't seen and can't see a FF lens moving that big glass that fast. It'd need to eat all Popeye's spinach.

I'd like to be proved wrong but you do know how fast MFT can focus with a fast to focus lens? From the usual vid and YouTube reviews I've seen I just haven't seen and can't see a FF lens moving that big glass that fast. It'd need to eat all Popeye's spinach.

Ive used a lot of m43 cameras, they arent as good as the latest FF milc for tracking in continuous AF, which moves all the elements all the time. The original A7 is slow.

Last edited:

I agree on that - the NEX-7 with its dual back wheels was better. I was gobsmacked that Sony didn't add a front-grip dial to the A6100/A6400/A6600 to make it more ergonomic (which is why I upgraded from the A6000 only as far as the A6500). Sony says that if you want two easy-to-use control dials, you have to have the A7 series.

With even the lowly E-M10, there was so much functionality immediately at hand.

I did buy a dumb M43-to-E-mount adapter - purely to use the Olympus 9mm for fun. Not sure if any of the other M43 lenses can operate in dumb mode?

I assume you're referring to AF-S and not AF-C or tracking?

Ive used a lot of m43 cameras, they arent as good as the latest FF milc for tracking in continuous AF, which moves all the elements all the time. The original A7 is slow.

I do need to try a new A7x body but I just don't get the time to go for a dedicated day out trip to a dealer to try one but nothing I've seen yet in any video review on line has shown the speed of A7x to get anywhere near MFT. Maybe I'll get to try one at an airport one day.

MFT may not be the fastest at tracking and continuous, I just don't know but those are focus modes I hardly ever use. What's mostly of interest to me is one shot or bursts using single point or eye/face detect. MFT is lightening fast at this. You don't have to wait, you just point the camera and mash the button and the shot is in focus. Can an A7x do that?

I'd like to be proved wrong as if an A7x was as fast as MFT I could consider having only A7x (but there's still the size difference that could put me off) and MFT is lightening at this.

I assume you're referring to AF-S and not AF-C or tracking?

See above.

The GX80 and GX9 I have may not be the quickest MFT bodies but so far I haven't seen any video/focus test that's convinced me an A7x can be faster. Even the tiny 42-45mm kit lens is blisteringly fast.

I agree on that - the NEX-7 with its dual back wheels was better. I was gobsmacked that Sony didn't add a front-grip dial to the A6100/A6400/A6600 to make it more ergonomic (which is why I upgraded from the A6000 only as far as the A6500). Sony says that if you want two easy-to-use control dials, you have to have the A7 series.

With even the lowly E-M10, there was so much functionality immediately at hand.

I did buy a dumb M43-to-E-mount adapter - purely to use the Olympus 9mm for fun. Not sure if any of the other M43 lenses can operate in dumb mode?

I have no idea. I didn't even know you could use MFT lenses on Sony cameras. I assume the fly by wire AF doesn't work? Maybe the Oly 17mm f1.8 could work as it has that fancy AF/MF mechanism so maybe it could be use in MF?

I don't know why Sony don't do the A6xxx with twin wheels. It's one thing that puts me off as does the size and cost of the lenses, I think MFT wins easily there.

The MFT adapter I have bought is entirely dumb, so I have to use manual lenses. The Olympus 9mm is just so: fixed f8 aperture and just 3-zone focus setting. Every other lens seems too smart to be useful to me.

This one is really just for fun - crazy distortion and I can't yet imagine what size image circle and vignetting I will get with the A6500 and A7! Just waiting on postie to arrive with the adapter...

I do need to try a new A7x body but I just don't get the time to go for a dedicated day out trip to a dealer to try one but nothing I've seen yet in any video review on line has shown the speed of A7x to get anywhere near MFT. Maybe I'll get to try one at an airport one day.

MFT may not be the fastest at tracking and continuous, I just don't know but those are focus modes I hardly ever use. What's mostly of interest to me is one shot or bursts using single point or eye/face detect. MFT is lightening fast at this. You don't have to wait, you just point the camera and mash the button and the shot is in focus. Can an A7x do that?

I'd like to be proved wrong as if an A7x was as fast as MFT I could consider having only A7x (but there's still the size difference that could put me off) and MFT is lightening at this.

Afs on Sony is slower than afc, there's no real need to use Afs with Sony, even for static subjects. The newer gens don't need mashing, you use eye AF in continuous and release the shutter, that also accounts and adjusts for any minor movements from yourself or subject and keeps your subject in focus all the time. The way you're AFing it won't.

Samyang 18mm arrived today - look forward to having a play later.

Back to an A73 after the Z6 - only changed to get a smaller, lighter set up so will add the 28-70 and the Samyang 35mm f2.8.

First impressions ? The A7 body seems noticeably smaller and lighter than the Z6 and the lenses will save me a load of weight.

Not difficult to see where Sony can improve the A73 though - the EV and rear screen is terrible compared to the Z6.

interested to hear how you find the 18mm, I'm torn between this and waiting on the tamron 20mm

Afs on Sony is slower than afc, there's no real need to use Afs with Sony, even for static subjects. The newer gens don't need mashing, you use eye AF in continuous and release the shutter, that also accounts and adjusts for any minor movements from yourself or subject and keeps your subject in focus all the time. The way you're AFing it won't.

I've seen plenty of AF tests on youtube and none has come close to MFT yet. If I ever see a review or get to try one for myself and it's faster I'll report back. I might even buy it.

I've seen plenty of AF tests on youtube and none has come close to MFT yet. If I ever see a review or get to try one for myself and it's faster I'll report back. I might even buy it.
Did you see the one posted on here re the af on the A9ii?
I've certainly never seen anything like it.

Did you see the one posted on here re the af on the A9ii?
I've certainly never seen anything like it.

Yeah, the A9s are pretty amazing (the mk2 is a bit of an incremental upgrade which makes the mk1 ridiculously good VFM), tbf the MK3 are also really impressive, miles better than the mk1/2.

The Sony A9 / A9 II’s AF / Eye-AF / Face-Detect / Animal-AF are unmatched [emoji1]

Last edited:
Is there a AF test between Sony and MfT? Can you provide link pls?

No idea. When a new lens comes out I sometimes watch the reviews. I know my A7 is... leisurely... but watching the focus tests and the near to middle or far focusing I haven't seen anything MFT fast yet.

This guy has done a lot of MFT vids. There's one where he points the camera at various things and you hear the beep as it locks. It is that fast. If you can find the vid...

https://www.youtube.com/user/69acrowot/videos

Last edited:
I'm tempted by the Samyang 18mm but the corners look poor at f2.8 for a modern lens and there's quite a difference between f2 and f2.8 for ISO. It's cheap and compact though and would be nice for decent light at mid apertures or even wide open if not looking closely at the corners. I'm still drawn to the Tokina 20mmm f2 too.

I'm tempted by the Samyang 18mm but the corners look poor at f2.8 for a modern lens

They look just fine too me a lens weighing 145g, costing £269 (UK copy) and still f2.8.

If you want perfect corners wide open, then there is the basis 18mm f2.8 :p

You can't have both in one, pick your compromise ;)

If these reviews are to be believed the samyang looks to perform way above its weight and price

https://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon...atis-18mm-f-2-8-astrophotography-lens-review/

View: https://youtu.be/f-nb6BpntFI

Last edited:
They look just fine too me a lens weighing 145g, costing £269 (UK copy) and still f2.8.

If you want perfect corners wide open, then there is the basis 18mm f2.8 :p

You can't have both in one, pick your compromise ;)

Which was the batis that had problems? I can't remember. Maybe it was the 40mm?

I think the Samyang 18mm example posted a few pages back was poor. My film era lenses are f3.5 and f3.8 which isn't f2.8 but they are old cheap lenses and I'd expect them to be relatively poor. I'll have another look at them wide open when I get time but I would be a little shocked if a modern f2.8 lens isn't quite a bit better than a film era f3.5/3.8 lens in the corners at wide apertures.

Plus there's the dream I have of going to see the northern lights one day and f2 or f2.8 may be something to think about for that plus what I've always wanted is a replacement for the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had. All things to think about.

Which was the batis that had problems? I can't remember. Maybe it was the 40mm?

I think the Samyang 18mm example posted a few pages back was poor. My film era lenses are f3.5 and f3.8 which isn't f2.8 but they are old cheap lenses and I'd expect them to be relatively poor. I'll have another look at them wide open when I get time but I would be a little shocked if a modern f2.8 lens isn't quite a bit better than a film era f3.5/3.8 lens in the corners at wide apertures.

Plus there's the dream I have of going to see the northern lights one day and f2 or f2.8 may be something to think about for that plus what I've always wanted is a replacement for the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had. All things to think about.
That was the 40mm yes.

Have a look at the reviews I posted above (editted my reply after you quoted I think) especially the lonelyspec one that's actually a review shooting the night sky so more along your needs.

I didn't see the images posted here but they could have been soft for any number of reasons inc. user error.

As we were talking about long lenses and portraits a while ago...

The Online Photographer on DoF, wide apertures and long lenses...

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2020/01/big-bokeh-on-a-budget.html

There's a link in there to a DPR thread containing some long lens fashion stuff.

I can see the appeal but I remember taking people shots with my 150mm and running out of room. If there's plenty of space and no one is going to get between the camera and the subject I can see the appeal, even if there's next to no context.

That was the 40mm yes.

Have a look at the reviews posted above especially the lonelyspec one that's actually a review shooting the night sky so more along your needs.

I didn't see the images posted here but they could have been soft for any number of reasons inc. user error.

There's a corner crop a few pages back followed by one of my corners from a film era lens. I think mine was wide open with the Vivitar 19mm as I was going for shallower DoF. I have to go now but I'll post a link to the page later.

Last edited:
There's a corner crop a few pages back followed by one of my corners from a film era lens. I think mine was wide open with the Vivitar 19mm as I was going for shallower DoF. I have to go now but I'll post a link to the page later.
Was that my corner crop, from the 35 f2.8?

Back