The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I thought it was from the 18mm f2.8?

Oh well... my mistake so forget everything WA I've said recently. I'll have a look for 18mm examples before I make my mind up but all this is on hold at the mo as I have a lot of things to deal with at the mo on the caring side. TBH it's a strain at the mo.

Last edited:
Thats a good review - what is it with Pastors/Vicars and camera lens reviews ?!

He also really rates the 45mm f1.8 which I'm tempted by.

I bought the 45 1.8 earlier on this morning it was only £252 from Camera Centre on eBay with the current 10% off discount code.

I am not expecting it to be very good based on some of the reviews I have seen, although there doesn't seem to be too many reviews with the new firmware they added for it a couple of weeks ago. Apparently with the original firmware it is very poor and won't focus at infinity. They resolved that with firmware v2 but there was still some issues using AFC and supposedly they have now resolved that with firmware v3.

Any way I have bought one for a little trip I have coming up soon so will see how it goes, if it's really poor I will gift it to my daughter.

I bought the 45 1.8 earlier on this morning it was only £252 from Camera Centre on eBay with the current 10% off discount code.

I am not expecting it to be very good based on some of the reviews I have seen, although there doesn't seem to be too many reviews with the new firmware they added for it a couple of weeks ago. Apparently with the original firmware it is very poor and won't focus at infinity. They resolved that with firmware v2 but there was still some issues using AFC and supposedly they have now resolved that with firmware v3.

Any way I have bought one for a little trip I have coming up soon so will see how it goes, if it's really poor I will gift it to my daughter.

Hopefully the version you get is v3 or you have a dock.

I thought it was from the 18mm f2.8?

Oh well... my mistake so forget everything WA I've said recently. I'll have a look for 18mm examples before I make my mind up but all this is on hold at the mo as I have a lot of things to deal with at the mo on the caring side. TBH it's a strain at the mo.

When there's stress in our personal lives it's entirely reasonable to overlook hobby stuff. :)

https://dustinabbott.net/2019/08/samyang-af-45mm-f1-8-fe-review
Good review here :)

Starting to thnk I should get a dock for Samyang, since I have 3 at the moment and that's likely to increase. I really would like another 50 f1.4 because it's just such a nice lens optically, but the 45 f1.8 really appeals too, for its size.

Hopefully the version you get is v3 or you have a dock.

I asked them about the firmware and they couldn't be sure, all they could say was they received the lenses direct from Samyang on Jan 3rd which I would expect means it won't have the lastest firmware. Am sure I will know somebody with a Samyang dock that can give a lend if not I will buy one.

That review is why I no longer trust anything he or Christopher Frost says as this lens was very flawed on launch with the original firmware and neither of them mentioned the issues. Either their testing process is crap or they are getting some freebies or cash from Samyang. I expect the latter as I know a few photographers even myself that Samyang give lots of free gear too as well as other incentives for youtube reviews etc.

Last edited:
Starting to thnk I should get a dock for Samyang, since I have 3 at the moment and that's likely to increase. I really would like another 50 f1.4 because it's just such a nice lens optically, but the 45 f1.8 really appeals too, for its size.

That is pretty much the only reason I went for it.

Plus I quite liked the Sigma 30mm I had for my A6400 so with the crop factor it will be a similar focal length.

Have debated the Batis 40mm for some time but wouldn't be able to deal with the focus issues it has.

Plus at the price I paid it doesn't really matter if it isn't that good as I know my daughter will like it, she has the 18/24/35 2.8's and the 85 as well.

I probably didn't need it really as I have the Siggy and Sony 35's and the Sony 55 as well as the Tamron 28-75 but I wanted something new to play with on my trip to Austria.

Last edited:
Which was the batis that had problems? I can't remember. Maybe it was the 40mm?

I think the Samyang 18mm example posted a few pages back was poor. My film era lenses are f3.5 and f3.8 which isn't f2.8 but they are old cheap lenses and I'd expect them to be relatively poor. I'll have another look at them wide open when I get time but I would be a little shocked if a modern f2.8 lens isn't quite a bit better than a film era f3.5/3.8 lens in the corners at wide apertures.

Plus there's the dream I have of going to see the northern lights one day and f2 or f2.8 may be something to think about for that plus what I've always wanted is a replacement for the Sigma 20mm f1.8 I had. All things to think about.

yeah the samples posted form the 18mm before in this thread didn't show it in a great light.

That review is why I no longer trust anything he or Christopher Frost says as this lens was very flawed on launch with the original firmware and neither of them mentioned the issues. Either their testing process is crap or they are getting some freebies or cash from Samyang. I expect the latter as I know a few photographers even myself that Samyang give lots of free gear too as well as other incentives for youtube reviews etc.

I expect theres some major discrepancies in quality going on with samyang still.

there copy variation on the 85 seemed huge, just in the FM thread alone some had cracking copy and another user had 3 all with issues, including decentering, leaving one side soft.

the first review of the 18mm that was posted and others since have all commented on how its noisy for video and pretty much unusable.. on his review it was silent :rolleyes:

yeah the samples posted form the 18mm before in this thread didn't show it in a great light.

I expect theres some major discrepancies in quality going on with samyang still.

there copy variation on the 85 seemed huge, just in the FM thread alone some had cracking copy and another user had 3 all with issues, including decentering, leaving one side soft.

the first review of the 18mm that was posted and others since have all commented on how its noisy for video and pretty much unusable.. on his review it was silent :rolleyes:

Yeah but this is the 45.

Samyang themselves said that every lens had the issue so not down to copy variation, both Christopher Frost and Dustin Abbott decided not to mention the issues and it would seem pretty unlikely that even after only even basic testing of the lens that they wouldn't be aware of it.

Last edited:
The first thing that struck me was the price but we'll need to see what it settles at.

But, if it's fast to focus and if the bokeh is nice it could win fans, especially those who don't like the bokeh of the Sony f1.8.

I want companies like Tokina to do well in the Sony full frame system, but they make such random choices in what they release.

Well I've just this morning pulled the trigger on the Sony 85mm F/1.8 @ £375 from E-Infinity which is as far as I can see is cheaper than you can buy second hand on Fleabay so consider that a very good deal.

Didn't go ahead with the Sony 35mm f/1.8 (@£445) as others have recommended as I'm not sure how much use it would currently get and I'm now thinking that spending more on a wide angle zoom may make better sense in the long run.

Going to Sri Lanka soon so thinking a wide angle for landscape/beach shots would be good but the 28 - 70 kit lens may have to suffice if I can't make my mind up before then (new lens or save money for business class upgrade auction?).

The Samyang 45 f/1.8 arrived with me this morning, unfortunately it arrived with the element below the front element covered in particles of dust including 3 very large ones so I have arranged to return it.

Did try it quickly on the camera, it's not great. :ROFLMAO:

Probably even a bit worse than I expected. The a.f was very slow and hesitant and also really annoyingly noisy.

I read a review from someone the other day saying they preferred it to the 55, he must of been huffing glue. :ROFLMAO:

Always the chance I might have received a completely duff lens, I have asked them to send a replacement once they get this one back but by the looks of it I might have to take a refund as they don't have stock.

The Samyang 45 f/1.8 arrived with me this morning, unfortunately it arrived with the element below the front element covered in particles of dust including 3 very large ones so I have arranged to return it.

Did try it quickly on the camera, it's not great. :ROFLMAO:

Probably even a bit worse than I expected. The a.f was very slow and hesitant and also really annoyingly noisy.

I read a review from someone the other day saying they preferred it to the 55, he must of been huffing glue. :ROFLMAO:

Always the chance I might have received a completely duff lens, I have asked them to send a replacement once they get this one back but by the looks of it I might have to take a refund as they don't have stock.

You keep buying and returning Samyangs, you should probably stop buying. :D

You keep buying and returning Samyangs, you should probably stop buying. :D

The only one I returned, although to be fair it was a few times was the 24mm. This is actually the first one I have bought with the intention of using myself as the other's where bought for my daughter.

So you would be happy to accept a lens that looked like someone had emptied their vacuum cleaner bag in to it?

Last edited:
The only one I returned, although to be fair it was a few times was the 24mm. This is actually the first one I have bought with the intention of using myself as the other's where bought for my daughter.

So you would be happy to accept a lens that looked like someone had emptied their vacuum cleaner bag in to it?

Where did you buy it from ?

I wonder if there IS sampling issue with lenses (in which case we can only rely on reviews by people who test 10+ copies).

My own experience with the Sony 50 1.8 made me wonder how anyone could use it seriously, yet I've seen at least one wedding shooter who reviewed it go on to buy one. Then there was the Viltrox 85 1.8 that was unreliable and some had also reported that as being an issue.

So with the 45, I don't know if DA and CF bought retail or more likely were supplied review copies (pre-checked for performance?) But loaners seem more likely. And what happens if the lens you test is less than ideal, as happened with CF and the 35 1.8 recently? Because of that I'm more likely to trust what he says FOR THE COPY TESTED. I doubt they're lying, but may not always get ordinary retail versions of the kit they test.

Hi Guys,

Quick question. Would you take a new a7r2 for £975 or a a6600 for £925?

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Quick question. Would you take a new a7r2 for £975 or a a6600 for £925?

Cheers

Can't answer directly, as I've never had hands/eyes-on either, but I've got the A7ii and A6500, and I tend to pick up the A6500 more often. Not much smaller/lighter until you add equivalent lenses, of course. And it looks stupid with big FF lenses on it. But I've come to prefer the top-left corner viewfinder position.

The A6600 continues the Sony daftness of insufficient control dials, which might be a deal-breaker for you?

the only one that does this is Roger Cicala from lens rentals.
I couldn't remember who it was. A lot of the time we look for optical variability, but with lenses being more dependent on electronics than ever (and AF more accurate) we'll notice if that's variable too.

Tried my a9mk II and 200/600 today crop top with pp work done and ff below the bird was at the far limits but turned out better than I thought it would .
The AF really is amazing most of the 400 shots i took were in focus or very very near, rippled water at times and trees in the background can trip it up now and then but i was using Zone and there are a lot of focus point so i'm not surprised that this can happen .
I tried Locked on and then responsive, to me there was not much difference both worked fine shutter speed today was 1/3200 f6.3 iso 800 .
Rob.

DSC00204 small.jpg

DSC00204 ff.jpg

Well I've just this morning pulled the trigger on the Sony 85mm F/1.8 @ £375 from E-Infinity which is as far as I can see is cheaper than you can buy second hand on Fleabay so consider that a very good deal.

Didn't go ahead with the Sony 35mm f/1.8 (@£445) as others have recommended as I'm not sure how much use it would currently get and I'm now thinking that spending more on a wide angle zoom may make better sense in the long run.

Going to Sri Lanka soon so thinking a wide angle for landscape/beach shots would be good but the 28 - 70 kit lens may have to suffice if I can't make my mind up before then (new lens or save money for business class upgrade auction?).

I think the 28-70mm is a decent lens and maybe deserves a little more praise. I think that a standard range zoom plus a fast prime could cover most of what I want but unfortunately I'm addicted to 35 and 50mm lenses and primes in general.

If 28mm is acceptable to you I think that zoom could be a decent choice.

The last time I used my 28-70mm was when I picked it up mounted it on the camera and headed out thinking I'd mounted the 85mm f1.8. I only spotted what I'd done when I wondered why I couldn't open the aperture up and then noticed the extra ring on the lens barrel. Silly me.

wbpTip1.jpg

Lovely little birds and great sharpness too.

Btw I remember you looking for flashes a while back. Not sure if you were still looking but I got one advertised in sales :)

Thanks, well long story on flash, let down by eGlobal so grabbed a little TT350s. It'll do what I need (though probably woulda made an offer on yours if I didn't already have this one). :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Smells like bs.
I think the fact that the report says the same spec as the 3 but with an articulating screen doesn't give it good credibility, why would they release a camera with the same spec?

I think the fact that the report says the same spec as the 3 but with an articulating screen doesn't give it good credibility, why would they release a camera with the same spec?

It is pretty much guaranteed to be the pretty much the same spec based on other recent release likes the A9II and the A7RIV.

It will have the new body shape, real time a.f, the ability to change the focus point colour and maybe an improved evf. Don't think most people are expecting much more than that, maybe they will tweak the sensor slightly for better performance at low ISO the way they did with the A9II.

For those with A7III's it will likely not be much of an upgrade but will be a good option for those with A7II's etc or those jumping from other brands.

Would be surprised if it had a flippy screen.

Last edited:
It is pretty much guaranteed to be the pretty much the same spec based on other recent release likes the A9II and the A7RIV.

It will have the new body shape, real time a.f, the ability to change the focus point colour and maybe an improved evf. Don't think most people are expecting much more than that, maybe they will tweak the sensor slightly for better performance at low ISO the way they did with the A9II.

For those with A7III's it will likely not be much of an upgrade but will be a good option for those with A7II's etc or those jumping from other brands.

Would be surprised if it had a flippy screen.

+1, they cant really improve on it that much at the pricepoint, just like the mkiv and a9ii, nearly 2 years on and the a7iii is still class leading in a few ways.

Back