The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

QUESTION. My latest Samyang showed up.

It's odd, I think it's slightly decentered but in a different way to what I've seen before. The corners seem consistent but then the mid frame seems off. The mid left seems sharper than mid right when doing a test at infinity on a distant chimney stack.

Anyone seen that before?
It surely can’t be decentered if the corners are consistent, if the mid frame’s off then the corners would be even more off, or at least that makes sense to me.

It’s not uncommon that the mid frame can be weaker, you only have to look at some MTF charts to see that, but whey the mid frames aren’t consistent I don’t know. Can you post the mid frame examples?

Last edited:
It surely can’t be decentered if the corners are consistent, if the mid frame’s off then the corners would be even more off, or at least that makes sense to me.

It’s not uncommon that the mid frame can be weaker than the edges, you only have to look at some MTF charts to see that, but whey the mid frames aren’t consistent I don’t know. Can you post the mid frame examples?

Sorry, my terminology was off. I meant edges at the middle of the frame. The edge on the left side seems sharper than the edge of the right ride mid way up the frame.

Sorry, my terminology was off. I meant edges at the middle of the frame. The edge on the left side seems sharper than the edge of the right ride mid way up the frame.

my old Sony 10-18mm f4 developed/had this issue (think it may have been at the 18mm end). Sony fixed it under warranty.
Their comment on the sheet I got back said said "realigned optics".

Ahh I see, so the corners are consistent but the edges half way up aren’t?

Id need to see the examples to offer any more help tbh then. Assuming it’s not user error, different part of the subject on those parts of the lens, or some bad grease mark or something on the element the only other thing I can think of would be a flaw in the glass itself , although I’ve never heard of this. Maybe someone else has an explanation?

my old Sony 10-18mm f4 developed/had this issue (think it may have been at the 18mm end). Sony fixed it under warranty.
Interesting, I can’t get my head around how alignment would affect the half way part of the edge without also affecting the corners, but what do I know :LOL:

Performance should be consistent one side to the other. If it's relatively good in the centre and relatively off mid frame and then better again in the corners that could be a characteristic of the design, as long as it's consistent. Once you get into one side being better than the other in any area it's surely a problem and the next thing to decide is if it matters to you then if you think you can do better by swapping it for another.

I am not sure where all of this "windows being bad/slow/buggy etc etc") appeared.

I have been using windows since 3.1 days and each iteration has made it better, more responsive, less buggy and more stable.

I am not sure what some of you guys are doing with your system but if you was to spend a whole day with me watching me work on a many of my windows machine, you will see no such issues.

I am not talking about loading up a word doc and one chrome tab browsing the internet and working on a document all day.

I am talkin about editing 42mp images in lightroom/photoshop, compiling java/kotlin code in my IDE, runing phone emulators runnin apps i am deveoping, listening to spotify, having 20x chrome tabs open, Various chat and social client apps running in the background(zoom, slack, whatsapp, facebook messanger, skype etc) and also running a triple A PC title game like Call of duty warzone on my breaks/time off of work(While majority of te stuff i have already listed still running in the background) all running smoothly with no crashes, no slowdowns, nada...

Again, what specific bugs etc are some of u lot having?

Windows so better than OSX runnin similar enviornment above.

Things for me just work. no need to install extra third party program drivers to get my camera connected, my phone connected, my mice etc etc, everything works as expected.

Really am struggling to figure out what some of the critics are about windows...

Again i have used all OS's pretty hard and why should i spend 1.5x more the money for identical hardware that i cannot even upgrade manually if i ever wanted to(i just upgraded my laptop's 32gb ram to 64gb ram...)

A lot of people who have worked on all these OS'S extensively have mostly said that if you are using a specific osx software that you rely heavily on, that is a good reason to choose it and dismiss anything else.

Are any of you using a specific piece of software that is only in OSX?

Last edited:
How times have changed :D

When asked about the future the boss of Dec once said something to the effect that no one would have a computer at home because there'd be no need.

Ah, here's the quote.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

And now some people just can't stop using them in the form of a smartphone.

Last edited:
I am not sure where all of this "windows being bad/slow/buggy etc etc") appeared.

I have been using windows since 3.1 days and each iteration has made it better, more responsive, less buggy and more stable.

I am not sure what some of you guys are doing with your system but if you was to spend a whole day with me watching me work on a many of my windows machine, you will see no such issues.

I am not talking about loading up a word doc and one chrome tab browsing the internet and working on a document all day.

I am talkin about editing 42mp images in lightroom/photoshop, compiling java/kotlin code in my IDE, runing phone emulators runnin apps i am deveoping, listening to spotify, having 20x chrome tabs open, Various chat and social client apps running in the background(zoom, slack, whatsapp, facebook messanger, skype etc) and also running a triple A PC title game like Call of duty warzone on my breaks/time off of work(While majority of te stuff i have already listed still running in the background) all running smoothly with no crashes, no slowdowns, nada...

Things for me just work. no need to install extra third party program drivers to get my camera connected, my phone connected, my mice etc etc, everything works as expected.

Really am struggling to figure out what some of the critics are about windows...

Again i have used all OS's pretty hard and why should i spend 1.5x more the money for identical hardware that i cannot even upgrade manually if i ever wanted to(i just upgraded my laptop's 32gb ram to 64gb ram...)

A lot of people who have worked on all these OS'S extensively have mostly said that if you are using a specific osx software that you rely heavily on, that is a good reason to choose it and dismiss anything else.
I’m not sure if you’re missing what people are saying tbh. Windows is great to start with, but it slows to a crawl over the years. I was speaking to a programmer a few months ago and he explained why this happened but it went straight over my head tbh. You can keep them running fast (ish) but it usually requires a lot of ‘maintenance’ to do so. With Mac you just use and abuse it and never have to worry about ‘maintaining’ it.
Yes a few but mainly Logic Pro X (y)

Same..

I think it is just emperors new clothes to be honest, they will feel the need to justify the higher cost of there lower specification Apple equipment some how.

In truth I have had far less issues with the Windows devices I have used since I switched from Apple than I ever had with Macs, both in terms of hardware and software.

Also with the windows devices I have had over the last lot of years when there has been the odd small issue it has been much easier to resolve, my experience with Apple products was that when it went wrong it was always a major issue.

Last edited:
Same..

I think it is just emperors new clothes to be honest, they will feel the need to justify the higher cost of there lower specification Apple equipment some how.
Wow :eek:

I’m not sure if you’re missing what people are saying tbh. Windows is great to start with, but it slows to a crawl over the years. I was speaking to a programmer a few months ago and he explained why this happened but it went straight over my head tbh. You can keep them running fast (ish) but it usually requires a lot of ‘maintenance’ to do so. With Mac you just use and abuse it and never have to worry about ‘maintaining’ it.

I imagine it depends on how you use your PC.

At work my responsibilities include maintenance and development on a legacy system, which runs on Windows XP (fortunatly this has finally been declared end of life, so we're down to very occasional issue resolution now) - The PC which I got when I started with the company for this work was just as responsive after 10 years of use, stable and reliable - but then it was a fairly 'static' setup, rather than a 'home PC' where a game might get installed, run for a few months, then the next new game added, etc.

I imagine it depends on how you use your PC.

At work my responsibilities include maintenance and development on a legacy system, which runs on Windows XP (fortunatly this has finally been declared end of life, so we're down to very occasional issue resolution now) - The PC which I got when I started with the company for this work was just as responsive after 10 years of use, stable and reliable - but then it was a fairly 'static' setup, rather than a 'home PC' where a game might get installed, run for a few months, then the next new game added, etc.
How do you explain my laptop that’s only ever viewed x-rays slowing to a snail pace? :eek:;)

With your PC that was stable after 10 years were you doing routine ‘maintenance’ to kerp
It that way?

I think I'm going to try another 28-70 so if anyone has a mint one they would like to sell please see my thread in the Wanted section !

I think I'm going to try another 28-70 so if anyone has a mint one they would like to sell please see my thread in the Wanted section !
I'll have a think whether I'm willing to let mine go, I'll let you know if I do (y)

Thats not my experience

i have countless of windows machines that have only been reformated and wiped the moment i bought and set it up.

i have never had to reformat even windows 7 because it was running too slow/slower then normal.

Yet on my 2013 macbook pro i actally had to clean and wipe it as it was running slow for my missus to use for her work?!?

Sorry but i dont just buy the fact that over time it slows down... i have done next to no maintenance on my machines and dont even bother with a anti virus program(forgot to install it when i first got my laptop over a year ago) and no issues at all, no slowdowns despite running it to the brime...

And relying heavily on logic pro X or any ther specific mac app is perfectly a valid reason but i doubt most are in your catagory though.

Thats not my experience

i have countless of windows machines that have only been reformated and wiped the moment i bought and set it up.

i have never had to reformat even windows 7 because it was running too slow/slower then normal.

Yet on my 2013 macbook pro i actally had to clean and wipe it as it was running slow for my missus to use for her work?!?

Sorry but i dont just buy the fact that over time it slows down... i have done next to no maintenance on my machines and dont even bother with a anti virus program(forgot to install it when i first got my laptop over a year ago) and no issues at all, no slowdowns despite running it to the brime...

And relying heavily on logic pro X or any ther specific mac app is perfectly a valid reason but i doubt most are in your catagory though.
That’s fine, as I said previously we all have different experiences and we should go by those (y)

As I said before I had someone tell me why windows is more prone to it but a lot was over my head, but I’m sure the long and short of it was the way data is stored and separated (but don’t take that as gospel). Obviously it’s not an issue for a high percentage otherwise windows wouldn’t still sell so well (y)

How do you explain my laptop that’s only ever viewed x-rays slowing to a snail pace? :eek:;)

With your PC that was stable after 10 years were you doing routine ‘maintenance’ to kerp
It that way?

The 'routine maintenance' on my PC was limited to checking the disk space now and then, so that it always had a decent amount of free space - archiving or deleting old files that were no longer needed.
It did get a memory update after about 5 years, and it would have been cleaned internally to remove accumulated 'fluff' from fans, etc.

With an older laptop, you might have run into disk fragmentation issues - particularly if you were regularly loading images on, then deleting only when the disk became fairly full.
This could be exacerbated if you routinely used sleep or hibernate (rather than shutdown).
I did once see a friends machine grind to a halt when he managed to get his hard disk down to only 2Mb free space....

Just to be clear my main desktop is 7 years old now and the only thing i upgraded was the GPU and recently about a month ago, an nvme hdd. previously it was using a bog standard 2.5 ssd which is slower than a nvme drive that many macbook's have and yet it has run really welly.

my missus imac is about 2-3 years old now? It crashed on her a few times these past month or so and even couldnt find her ext hdd with all her work on it. i had to troubleshoot and fix it....

#ItJustWorks

That’s fine, as I said previously we all have different experiences and we should go by those (y)

As I said before I had someone tell me why windows is more prone to it but a lot was over my head, but I’m sure the long and short of it was the way data is stored and separated (but don’t take that as gospel). Obviously it’s not an issue for a high percentage otherwise windows wouldn’t still sell so well (y)
what has your experience been on windows 10 runnin similar hardware as your current setup been?

Nevermind what others have said, but what has your experience been?

As i said, i can attest to what i have said here as i have given all 3 os's a proper PROPER go .

I am typing this on my linux OS system right now(ive had to reboot this damm system just before lunch at it started running dog slow...)

If it's not consistent from one side to the other then surely that can't be right but differences between the centre, mid and corners may be for other reasons than decentering, if they're consistent.

I suppose another thing to consider is if any issues show up when do they show up. I suppose the lens could be slightly off but still acceptable to you? I think I'd try and exchange it if I thought it was too far off for me or for anyone else I may try to sell it on to at some point in the future.

It's a tough one, if I know it's there, it'll bug me.

Hmm, sounds about right.

Ahh I see, so the corners are consistent but the edges half way up aren’t?

Id need to see the examples to offer any more help tbh then. Assuming it’s not user error, different part of the subject on those parts of the lens, or some bad grease mark or something on the element the only other thing I can think of would be a flaw in the glass itself , although I’ve never heard of this. Maybe someone else has an explanation?

Yeah that's the one.

I'll try and get some examples later, I think you'd need the raw files to notice it though, it's not massively defined, but still annoying.

Performance should be consistent one side to the other. If it's relatively good in the centre and relatively off mid frame and then better again in the corners that could be a characteristic of the design, as long as it's consistent. Once you get into one side being better than the other in any area it's surely a problem and the next thing to decide is if it matters to you then if you think you can do better by swapping it for another.

That's my view, only issue is this is the third one of them I've had now. The last two, one arrived with internal scratches and one had a very soft half of the frame.

That's my view, only issue is this is the third one of them I've had now. The last two, one arrived with internal scratches and one had a very soft half of the frame.

AFAIK the lenses are relatively cheap and relatively light so you might want to make it your mission to carry on until you get a good one to get those qualities. If you give up and go for something else it could be both bigger and more expensive.

AFAIK the lenses are relatively cheap and relatively light so you might want to make it your mission to carry on until you get a good one to get those qualities. If you give up and go for something else it could be both bigger and more expensive.

Yeah, my only concern with keep trying to get a decent one is that I feel bad on camera centre (where is was purchased from) as surely it’s costing them money.

I don’t mind more substantial, the Samyang feels so fragile in my opinion.

I started off with a iPhone 4S, this was following by a MacBook Pro 2010 15" Oct Mid-2010 model ..... to this day this MacBook Pro is running sweet (now the wife).
I highly doubt a Windows based laptop would have lasted as long. :D

what has your experience been on windows 10 runnin similar hardware as your current setup been?

Nevermind what others have said, but what has your experience been?

As i said, i can attest to what i have said here as i have given all 3 os's a proper PROPER go .

I am typing this on my linux OS system right now(ive had to reboot this damm system just before lunch at it started running dog slow...)
I don’t have a current windows system as powerful as my Mac now, but both my laptop and desktop running Windows 10 are painful, and no extra software has been installed barring the x-ray viewer and printer drivers.

If I was interested I could invest in a high powered PC and see how I get on but once bitten
and all that (well its probably more like 10 times bitten :LOL:). Besides, I don’t have any interest in Windows as the OS is horrible (IMO) and I love how all my Apple products work together (y)

It's interesting reading the range of views and experiences here, and it makes me wonder if there's actually considerable variability in computer hardware (and the way software interacts with it).

It's interesting reading the range of views and experiences here, and it makes me wonder if there's actually considerable variability in computer hardware (and the way software interacts with it).
I’m sure there’s more variables than we realise.

A lot of 'budget' PC's cut corners in terms of specifications to keep costs down, and load machines up with trial versions - one of the things that's not been mentioned so far (I don't think) is how badly anti-virus software can impact a PC performance - doing a full system scan of a PC with large/multiple HDD (not SSD) can take a lot of PC power, particularly if badly configured (or if you've inadvertently got multiple AV's running).

A lot of 'budget' PC's cut corners in terms of specifications to keep costs down, and load machines up with trial versions - one of the things that's not been mentioned so far (I don't think) is how badly anti-virus software can impact a PC performance - doing a full system scan of a PC with large/multiple HDD (not SSD) can take a lot of PC power, particularly if badly configured (or if you've inadvertently got multiple AV's running).

Yeah, cheap PCs come with a load of poop installed, delete all partitions, reinstall windows from a USB, no bloat.

I’m sure there’s more variables than we realise.

Yes and no, Apple keeps things tight, let say I have an issue with my 2018 MPB, Apple tech looks at it sees pink vertical lines, must be a display issue, highly likely the GPU, so apple tech goes to his mac and looks up parts for 2018 MPB, in the list there might be 2 GPUs for that spec, great, cant go wrong. Order part, install, done. Warranty job or consumer pays well over the top for the replacement GPU and labour. Thats the reason they keep things basically proprietary and OSX can be minimal, they dont have to account for 10s of thousands of configurations and drivers.

Last edited:
The biggest variable lies between the keyboard and chair......

Normally I'd agree. But having actually owned a Mac, I saw all the same behaviours that Apple users complain about in machines running windows: slowing down after 12+ months, hardware faults, buggy OS, frequent updates that caused problems, poorly developed OS releases. It makes me wonder if I got a Friday afternoon device.

By comparison my XPS15 is running much better at 6 years old than the Macbook was at 3, it's built with equally good materials (aluminium and carbon fibre) and although it's had upgrades, they've only been to storage size (1TB SSD, 2TB HDD now). Yes, it cost the same as a basic Macbook, but it's much better spec'd than that Macbook which is probably why it's still a good machine. Yet for someone like Snerkler it should be a doorstop by now.

Which makes me wonder if there's more to this than simple specifications on a page.

My Macbook Pro 2012 15" Retina is still doing it's job as my main machine. The trackpad died last year (due I think to the battery expanding) but otherwise it's pretty much fine for all my photo editing etc. Replacement prices scare me, and so does windows. I've been using Macs exclusively since mid 90's.

Normally I'd agree. But having actually owned a Mac, I saw all the same behaviours that Apple users complain about in machines running windows: slowing down after 12+ months, hardware faults, buggy OS, frequent updates that caused problems, poorly developed OS releases. It makes me wonder if I got a Friday afternoon device.

By comparison my XPS15 is running much better at 6 years old than the Macbook was at 3, it's built with equally good materials (aluminium and carbon fibre) and although it's had upgrades, they've only been to storage size (1TB SSD, 2TB HDD now). Yes, it cost the same as a basic Macbook, but it's much better spec'd than that Macbook which is probably why it's still a good machine. Yet for someone like Snerkler it should be a doorstop by now.

Which makes me wonder if there's more to this than simple specifications on a page.
Yeah it’s weird isn’t it. I’ve never run windows on Mac though so can’t comment how much that slows them (y)

Yes and no, Apple keeps things tight, let say I have an issue with my 2018 MPB, Apple tech looks at it sees pink vertical lines, must be a display issue, highly likely the GPU, so apple tech goes to his mac and looks up parts for 2018 MPB, in the list there might be 2 GPUs for that spec, great, cant go wrong. Order part, install, done. Warranty job or consumer pays well over the top for the replacement GPU and labour. Thats the reason they keep things basically proprietary and OSX can be minimal, they dont have to account for 10s of thousands of configurations and drivers.
Yet they still butcher some of there Osx updates!

I don’t have a current windows system as powerful as my Mac now, but both my laptop and desktop running Windows 10 are painful, and no extra software has been installed barring the x-ray viewer and printer drivers.

If I was interested I could invest in a high powered PC and see how I get on but once bitten
and all that (well its probably more like 10 times bitten [emoji38]). Besides, I don’t have any interest in Windows as the OS is horrible (IMO) and I love how all my Apple products work together (y)
What spec Is your laptop's?

Yet they still butcher some of there Osx updates!

Play nice, windows, sony, xbox, they all screw up sometimes. Sony killed my ps3 via fw update after launch, guess what, my brand new 11 month remaining warranty was replaced with a 6 month warranty refurb. Apple in all my time or windows have never completely killed my device.

Last edited:
Replacement prices scare me, and so does windows

I mentioned to the wife that in another year or so I'd probably want to upgrade, and that last time I spent £1000 (actually £1200 with 3 years next business day onsite warranty). She had quite forgotten and was a bit shocked considering that we bought her a new laptop last year for £500. I'll spend the same again, simply because image processing really needs something with a bit of umph.

Windows or OSX are the same when it comes to image editing, and LR/PS look and work just the same in both environments with the same performance on the same hardware. It's the hardware that defines the speed, not the OS.

Back