The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No worries, I confuse many people including myself :LOL:

There's too much choice and it causes headaches ;) You need to decide for yourself whether you need the extra mp, ie do you view large, do you print large, do you crop heavily? The sole reason for me buying the A7RIV was the ability to crop, meaning that I can use smaller lighter lenses and get the effective reach or larger heavier lenses on a lower mp body.

Haha that's why we love photography gear anyway, right? :). Logically I think the best option is just the A7 III. When I switched from crop to FF I had a D850 for a while and just didn't really feel the benefit of the extra 20MP over the D750 I ended up with. Plus I've also been looking at some of the nice wide primes that are available for the Sony's now so makes me feel more comfortable saving the money and going for a Tamron 17-28 instead of the Sony 16-35 GM.

Yes, it looks interesting but I'll need to see what crops look like v MFT.

I haven't tended to do side by side comparisons but I compared my A7 and 28-70mm kit lens to my GX80 and 12-35mm f2.8 which I consider to be a good lens and the A7 combo won on image quality but of course the MFT camera is much more responsive in use, a real sports car compared to my Sony Morris Minor. The MFT is also capable of taking pictures silently.

A 40% crop from a A7+Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8+No.4 close up filter picture. I suppose I'm wasting my time and the posting process will kill it...

KBYjQlh.jpg

Last edited:
I see they have a zoom lock on it, why Sony couldn't do this on their 'flagship' GM lens is beyond me :rolleyes:

the "tight" setting should have ideally worked but I think over time that stops working too lol.
But the lens doesn't seem much smaller than the 100-400mm tbh to warrant changing. Let's see if it can match the sharpness.

the "tight" setting should have ideally worked but I think over time that stops working too lol.
But the lens doesn't seem much smaller than the 100-400mm tbh to warrant changing. Let's see if it can match the sharpness.
I highly doubt I'd change, but it just baffles me that a so called flagship lens costing over £2k can't include something as simple as a lock. Mine's crept since day one even on tight setting.

I highly doubt I'd change, but it just baffles me that a so called flagship lens costing over £2k can't include something as simple as a lock. Mine's crept since day one even on tight setting.

that's what you get when you have manufactures copying design of others (in this case canon EF)

The DSLR lenses are rehashes of old version

The APS-C lenses are just a rebadge of the viltrox ones

The FE lenses are new but uninteresting unless priced right.

I'd only be interested in the FE lenses but as I have the Sony ones now I'm not even interested in those :D

The 50mm f1.8 could interest me as I always convince myself that I see the difference and prefer 50mm to 55mm and of course Sonys 50mm has that questionable cheap focus system.

Mostly I just tell myself that I don't need any more kit, except a long lens like a 100-400mm and a 12-24mm and maybe the new Voigtlander 35 and 50mm f1.2's. Apart from that, nothing else :D

£899, that's pretty good for FE mount!

Focus tracking with continuous AF looked really promising on the dogs. He estimates 85-90% as reliable/fast as the GM.

I'm on the fence with my D750 and changing to an A7 III, can anyone tell me if the regular lenses are good enough for the excellent focus system, or do you need master lenses?

looking to replace your mc-11+150-600 combo?

I need 600mm as do a lot of bird photography (Though Sigma have 1.4x and 2x teleconverters coming out for mirrorless)

*edit, surely a mirrorless 150-600 must be on the way soon and if the AF is much improved like they seem to have managed on the 100-400 then I would be interested.

Last edited:
I need 600mm as do a lot of bird photography (Though Sigma have 1.4x and 2x teleconverters coming out for mirrorless)

*edit, surely a mirrorless 150-600 must be on the way soon and if the AF is much improved like they seem to have managed on the 100-400 then I would be interested.

the 200-600mm no interest to you?

100-400mm will be a definite buy for me, but no point in getting one until spring 2021 now as it's unlikely I'll be doing motorsport before then. Hopefully it will be a bit cheaper still by then!

the 200-600mm no interest to you?

Of course, when I got my 150-600 Sigma the 200-600 didn't exist and the Sigma was a bit of a hit and hope as I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy wildlife/bird photography. As it turned out, the 600mm has become one of my most used lenses. Of course the only disadvantage is the focus performance and speed while tracking small moving objects. I've considered getting the Sony 200-600, but I'll be honest I am only an enthusiast and the paid jobs I do would not be using a 200-600 so it's a little hard to justify while I am enjoying the Sigma so much. In saying that, I am not a stranger to just saying sod it and buying things I will enjoy so we'll see :p

If like this 100-400 Sigma made a mirrorless 150-600 with a similar small performance gap to the Sony lens with a huge price incentive then I would happily go with the Sigma.

Last edited:
Back