The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I only do handheld (with long lenses)

Focus tracking with continuous AF looked really promising on the dogs. He estimates 85-90% as reliable/fast as the GM.
Sounds promising, I could sell my GM and get this and put some money in the bank (y)
I'm on the fence with my D750 and changing to an A7 III, can anyone tell me if the regular lenses are good enough for the excellent focus system, or do you need master lenses?
Some of the non GM lenses have excellent AF from my experience
Some from yesterday taken at the re-opening of my local Safari Zoo

DSC09097 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08997-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08882 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08672 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08668 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08521 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08476 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

DSC08533 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr
Great images, really like the Panda and the last one (y)

I'm on the fence with my D750 and changing to an A7 III, can anyone tell me if the regular lenses are good enough for the excellent focus system, or do you need master lenses?

Focussing is good on almost all lenses inc. 3rd party ones. The worst offenders are Sony 50mm f1.8 and earlier samyang AF lenses (later ones are a lot better but still not up to par with sony, tamron, sigma).

Focussing is good on almost all lenses inc. 3rd party ones. The worst offenders are Sony 50mm f1.8 and earlier samyang AF lenses (later ones are a lot better but still not up to par with sony, tamron, sigma).

Thanks, I often thought my A6000 focusing was slow because of the lenses I was using.

Thanks, I often thought my A6000 focusing was slow because of the lenses I was using.
Things have come a fair way since A6000 days. What lenses were you using? Some 3rd party ones at the time were slow and didn't support the full AF system properly.

Things have come a fair way since A6000 days. What lenses were you using? Some 3rd party ones at the time were slow and didn't support the full AF system properly.

The Sony 50mm 1.8mm lol

Also a Sigma 30mm 1.4

The FE50/1.8 isn't the best for AF but the APS-C version and also the sigma 30mm f1.4 are supposed to be decent for AF.

Yes, the 50 f/1.8 OSS is a great little lens, never had any issues with the AF speed of it n my A6000.

It couldn't keep up with even moderately fast subjects, not sure if lens or A6000. D750 blows it away, but from what I've seen the A7 III will nuke the D750.

It couldn't keep up with even moderately fast subjects, not sure if lens or A6000. D750 blows it away, but from what I've seen the A7 III will nuke the D750.
A6000 wasn't as good as D750 and A7III isn't much better than D750 tbh. The area where it pulls ahead is for shooting people with eyeAF but otherwise for things like wildlife, sports etc D750 is just as competitive. A7III also has full frame AF points coverage with higher fps which works in it's favour.

Last edited:
A6000 wasn't as good as D750 and A7III isn't much better than D750 tbh. The area where it pulls ahead is for shooting people with eyeAF but otherwise for things like wildlife, sports etc D750 is just as competitive. A7III also has full frame AF points coverage with higher fps which works in it's favour.

It's the eye AF and smaller size which is drawing me. The D750 AF is fantastic, but I'm finding myself weighing up whether or not to bring the camera, rather than just grabbing it no questions.

It's the eye AF and smaller size which is drawing me. The D750 AF is fantastic, but I'm finding myself weighing up whether or not to bring the camera, rather than just grabbing it no questions.
The A7III isn’t that much smaller tbh, the D750 is pretty small for a FF DSLR.

A7III isn't much better than D750 tbh. The area where it pulls ahead is for shooting people with eyeAF but otherwise for things like wildlife, sports etc D750 is just as competitive.

Would have to disagree with that. 1/4000 max shutter speed can be limiting on the D750, there is the advantage of the evf vs the ovf as well. Add that to the issue with lenses needed to be tuned for maximum performance, the small spread of a.f points on the D750 not being anywhere near as good plus low light performance on the A7III is much better.

Throw in eye a.f as well and they aren’t close.

There are quite a few differences between the two, A7III is a much better camera for pretty much everything.

A lot depends on the lens fitted. The A7III with 24-105 is bulkier and heavier than a D610/D750 with 28-105, however with something like the Sammy 35 f2.8 it's quite a bit smaller & lighter than the Nikon equivalent.

Would have to disagree with that. 1/4000 max shutter speed can be limiting on the D750, there is the advantage of the evf vs the ovf as well. Add that to the issue with lenses needed to be tuned for maximum performance, the small spread of a.f points on the D750 not being anywhere near as good plus low light performance on the A7III is much better.

Throw in eye a.f as well and they aren’t close.

There are quite a few differences between the two, A7III is a much better camera for pretty much everything.

Some good points there to consider thanks. I'm surprised at the low light point as I was looking at a comparison review the other day (astronomy type one) and the D750 seemed slightly better than the Sony, and they both blew the Canon to pieces lol

Some good points there to consider thanks. I'm surprised at the low light point as I was looking at a comparison review the other day (astronomy type one) and the D750 seemed slightly better than the Sony, and they both blew the Canon to pieces lol
Low light is definitely better than D750. In fact it still might be the best one of the lot (or possibly D780).

I only use my A6000 for MF macro, when I've tried to use it with AF on my otherwise brilliant Sony 90mm macro lens it's very slow. Although I fondly imagine that I'd use the A6000 as a compact walk around when I eventually get to "walk around" again I somehow doubt it, I suspect that my A9 will be pressed into action.

A lot depends on the lens fitted. The A7III with 24-105 is bulkier and heavier than a D610/D750 with 28-105, however with something like the Sammy 35 f2.8 it's quite a bit smaller & lighter than the Nikon equivalent.
Very true, but there's small Nikon lenses too. My point was though that the difference between the D750 and Sony mirrorless isn't as big as people often imagine. As you say though it depends on the lenses. Being as you mentioned the 24-105mm, here's the A7III with 24-105mm vs the D750 with 24-120mm f4

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.53.24
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Let me try and find the article, I might have read it wrong (or looked at the pictures wrong lol)
Are you talking in terms of AF or noise? In terms of noise the A7 III looks better to my eyes here

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.55.45
by TDG-77, on Flickr

And DXO scores would seem to confirm this (y)

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.56.16
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:

Depends what you have fitted. I would say the body itself is smaller and lighter alone.

Then add the tamron 28-70 or Sony 85 1.8 and it’s smaller than the nikon equivalents.

I’ve not tried the GM lenses and to be honest don’t think I would bother.
The tamron and Sony 85 1.8 preform excellently. In fact as good as the Nikon version if not better when paired with the a7iii over the d750 with those lenses.
I can’t see the 3x increase in price of the GM actually offering much if any more performance bar the extra 4mm on the wide end or 1.4 over 1.8.

I’ve realised that like a lot of things in life a lot of it all about the name or to show d*ck size bragging rights. Not due to the actual performance or quality.

Very true, but there's small Nikon lenses too. My point was though that the difference between the D750 and Sony mirrorless isn't as big as people often imagine. As you say though it depends on the lenses. Being as you mentioned the 24-105mm, here's the A7III with 24-105mm vs the D750 with 24-120mm f4

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.53.24
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Are you talking in terms of AF or noise? In terms of noise the A7 III looks better to my eyes here

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.55.45
by TDG-77, on Flickr

And DXO scores would seem to confirm this (y)

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.56.16
by TDG-77, on Flickr

The Sony does look noticeably better, I wish I could find that article. Suppose it doesn't matter as it's pretty clear above (y)

PLUS £140 if you want the tripod mount.

apparently its the same tripod foot as on sigma 105mm f1.4.
But it still a fair bit cheaper than the GM equivalent.

I wonder if it will work with Sony TCs because they haven't released any for e-mount.

apparently its the same tripod foot as on sigma 105mm f1.4.
But it still a fair bit cheaper than the GM equivalent.

I wonder if it will work with Sony TCs because they haven't released any for e-mount.

theres a 1.4 and 2 available for pre order

Back