The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Had good service from LCE and they gave me a good price for my Tamron 28-75 as trade in. Plus I think they have a better chance of being around after all this than Jessops

Use a credit card and claim on section 75 if they shut down. Besides you still have warranty with Sony anyway (I believe they do 2 years extended warranty these days?)

Use a credit card and claim on section 75 if they shut down. Besides you still have warranty with Sony anyway (I believe they do 2 years extended warranty these days?)
No I’m happy with my deal (and although I‘ve done a section 75 in the past it’s a pain- even more so at the moment). I also believe this constant drive to save every last £1 is false economy in the long run and, ends up restricting choice particularly on the high street.

No I’m happy with my deal (and although I‘ve done a section 75 in the past it’s a pain- even more so at the moment). I also believe this constant drive to save every last £1 is false economy in the long run and, ends up restricting choice particularly on the high street.

pot calling the kettle black, if there's any high street shop that needs help its jessops :D

(p.s. intended as a joke)

The Sony does look noticeably better, I wish I could find that article. Suppose it doesn't matter as it's pretty clear above (y)
You have to be careful with articles as they can be misleading, and sometimes just wrong. That being said, DXO aren't always 100% reliable which is why I compare across more than one of my 'go to' sites.

Had good service from LCE and they gave me a good price for my Tamron 28-75 as trade in. Plus I think they have a better chance of being around after all this than Jessops

Didn't you say on a thread they gave you £425? That's a terrible price.

Pretty sure the one you linked to is UK stock as well.

EDIT: In fact, it definitely is UK stock.

Last edited:
Didn't you say on a thread they gave you £425? That's a terrible price.

Pretty sure the one you linked to is UK stock as well.

EDIT: In fact, it definitely is UK stock.
Not a bad price tbh. That's 2/3rd of new price and they sell it for £500-550 on their website.

Almost every one on eBay is above £500, sold mine on there for £540.
That's ebay, not a shop. Not everyone wants to sell on ebay. A shop will never give you the same price as you could sell it privately.

Also I don't really understand why people on ebay are willing to overpay. A lot of the prices on there are inflated. There been a few times I have even posted examples here where people have bought used lenses on ebay for more than the new price.
In any case I could have easily got that lens for £500 (IIRC in fact someone did from LCE when you had your sales thread up for it). So £425 is not a bad price for no hassle trade-in.

Last edited:
Almost every one on eBay is above £500, sold mine on there for £540.
Yep plenty on ebay for £500- £550 but am happy with what I got, plus the money off the new lens plus the free next day courier for pick up and delivery plus the ability to pop in the shop when open plus not having to deal with the time wasters and chancers on ebay.....and for the sake of a small difference in the overall deal that took 3 days to complete I’m fine with it.

Yep plenty on ebay for £500- £550 but am happy with what I got, plus the money off the new lens plus the free next day courier for pick up and delivery plus the ability to pop in the shop when open plus not having to deal with the time wasters and chancers on ebay.....and for the sake of a small difference in the overall deal that took 3 days to complete I’m fine with it.

Each to their own obviously, I’d still phone them and see if they can do anything on the price given the fact you can get it almost £100 cheaper now.

Each to their own obviously, I’d still phone them and see if they can do anything on the price given the fact you can get it almost £100 cheaper now.

:plus1:

I'd definitely see if they'd price match or at least give you like £50 discount.

135 is a focal length I really struggle to know what to do with and not really my cup of tea. I recently re-discovered a Pentax SMC K 135mm F2.5 during a clear out. It was far too long on my a6000, I tried it on the XT3 to see if the better EVF helped, no luck but Im pleased with this from my A7R2 today.. At F2.5 of course.. :)

50022732321_a9cb33b57f_b.jpg

Very true, but there's small Nikon lenses too. My point was though that the difference between the D750 and Sony mirrorless isn't as big as people often imagine. As you say though it depends on the lenses. Being as you mentioned the 24-105mm, here's the A7III with 24-105mm vs the D750 with 24-120mm f4

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.53.24
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Are you talking in terms of AF or noise? In terms of noise the A7 III looks better to my eyes here

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.55.45
by TDG-77, on Flickr

And DXO scores would seem to confirm this (y)

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.56.16
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I found that article, I was basing my search on a comparison, but the article wasn't actually lead by a comparison - it was more incidental that it compared to the D750 if you know what I mean? :D

Anyway, here it is: https://amazingsky.net/2018/05/31/testing-the-sony-a7iii-for-astrophotography/

There doesn't seem much in it, but the D750 does seem to have the edge in this article, which I find strange considering you've posted proof contrary.

I found that article, I was basing my search on a comparison, but the article wasn't actually lead by a comparison - it was more incidental that it compared to the D750 if you know what I mean? :D

Anyway, here it is: https://amazingsky.net/2018/05/31/testing-the-sony-a7iii-for-astrophotography/

There doesn't seem much in it, but the D750 does seem to have the edge in this article, which I find strange considering you've posted proof contrary.
I'm not sure where it says the D750 is better, other than it may have a more ISO invariant sensor?

I'm not sure where it says the D750 is better, other than it may have a more ISO invariant sensor?

I'm not sure it does, it was more my own judgement from looking at the images but as you say it does seem mainly linked to the invariant side of things. I need to weigh up whether or not the extra cost will be worth it for my needs. The size was going to be a driving factor, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure it does, it was more my own judgement from looking at the images but as you say it does seem mainly linked to the invariant side of things. I need to weigh up whether or not the extra cost will be worth it for my needs. The size was going to be a driving factor, but now I'm not so sure.
The D750 has always been great for pulling back shadows etc, although if you're constantly needing to pull back +4ev exposure I'm not sure you're getting it right in the first place ;) Whilst I've moved on, the D750 will always go down as one of the best all round cameras I've had though (y)

The D750 has always been great for pulling back shadows etc, although if you're constantly needing to pull back +4ev exposure I'm not sure you're getting it right in the first place ;) Whilst I've moved on, the D750 will always go down as one of the best all round cameras I've had though (y)

D750 was a very good camera in its day. Always suffered from over exposed highlights and iffy a.f in low light situations which was my major bug bear with it. I did like them though, at one point we had 6 of them.

Last edited:
Yeah I've noticed that about the highlights, rather annoying. Dropped the ev by one and it would sort it, but then in another scene it would suddenly want to expose to 0 ev, so you'd end up slightly underexposed lol

Yeah I've noticed that about the highlights, rather annoying. Dropped the ev by one and it would sort it, but then in another scene it would suddenly want to expose to 0 ev, so you'd end up slightly underexposed lol
I think Nikon have been deliberately underexposing for a while, the D850 was more so than the D750 too. I think if you look at some of those 'test' shots in that blog you posted the D750 is slightly underexposed compared to the Sony and Canon. Nikon know how good their shadow recovery so I think they're trying to protect the highlights. Of course, there's no proof of this I"m aware of so it's just my observations, in other words take it with a massive pinch of salt ;)

I think Nikon have been deliberately underexposing for a while, the D850 was more so than the D750 too. I think if you look at some of those 'test' shots in that blog you posted the D750 is slightly underexposed compared to the Sony and Canon. Nikon know how good their shadow recovery so I think they're trying to protect the highlights. Of course, there's no proof of this I"m aware of so it's just my observations, in other words take it with a massive pinch of salt ;)

Interesting, I'll look out for this. Doesn't the D750 have a Sony sensor? Maybe this is why both brands are so good in low light?!

Interesting, I'll look out for this. Doesn't the D750 have a Sony sensor? Maybe this is why both brands are so good in low light?!
I think most of the modern Nikon bodies have Sony sensors, although Nikon have generally applied better colour science imo. The latest gen Sony’s have good colours though.

Now this is interesting - when I had my D610 I'd normally set exposure compensation -1/3 to -2/3 and rarely used 0, whereas for the Sony I normally use no compensation. I normally spot-meter, but perhaps the EVF is making me choose what I meter from differently to adjust exposure 'in viewfinder'.

Now this is interesting - when I had my D610 I'd normally set exposure compensation -1/3 to -2/3 and rarely used 0, whereas for the Sony I normally use no compensation. I normally spot-meter, but perhaps the EVF is making me choose what I meter from differently to adjust exposure 'in viewfinder'.
I’ve never owned the D610 so don’t know how that meters tbh, plus I rarely use spot so it may well vary depending on metering mode (y)

One thing that did annoy me about Nikon was there was no true average metering mode which could be annoying for landscapes, as even wide/matrix had AF point weighting. Sony’s does this too but then at least there is a true average metering mode as well (y)

I've never used exposure compensation, probably wrongly I assumed it didn't work in Manual mode?

I've never used exposure compensation, probably wrongly I assumed it didn't work in Manual mode?
Pretty sure it does, it does on Nikon anyway. But of course this is only really applicable if using auto iso, but it will of course make the light meter read differently.

The histogram’s usually my best friend when it comes to getting the exposure right.

I remember when I first came across Auto ISO :love:

As I don't shoot professionally I'm usually quite confident about being able to recover any shadows or highlights I need, but I really should start using the histogram.

Question: Does a lens "supplied and delivered" by Amazon fit the bill/qualify for the current Sony cashback promotion?
Thanks in anticipation.

Question: Does a lens "supplied and delivered" by Amazon fit the bill/qualify for the current Sony cashback promotion?
Thanks in anticipation.
Assuming Amazon UK I’m pretty sure it does. Certainly does with other manufacturers.

Assuming Amazon UK I’m pretty sure it does. Certainly does with other manufacturers.

Yes, it is Amazon UK - thanks Toby, I assumed it would but thought it worth checking.

Apparently the aren’t now on the official list so I’d check directly with Sony
Interesting, I've googled and searched on the Sony site but I can't find anywhere where they actually list authorised sellers, where have you seen this? I've actually just emailed Sony to ask it Amazon are an authorised seller as it will be useful to know for the future.

Interesting, I've googled and searched on the Sony site but I can't find anywhere where they actually list authorised sellers, where have you seen this? I've actually just emailed Sony to ask it Amazon are an authorised seller as it will be useful to know for the future.
Just try putting in a cashback claim and you'll know lol

Back