The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I wonder if they actually tried to make a 85/1.2 seeing they made a 35/1.2 . Given the choice, if they managed to make a 85/1.2 in a 85GM size I would have taken that over a FE size 85/1.8.

I wonder if they actually tried to make a 85/1.2 seeing they made a 35/1.2 . Given the choice, if they managed to make a 85/1.2 in a 85GM size I would have taken that over a FE size 85/1.8.

Yes me too Raymond- but at what cost ?

Les c:)

Maybe a new body with all the latest tech is just what you need to reinvigorate your interest.

I have the interest but not the time as most of the time I'm tied to the house looking after someone who can only be left alone for short periods of time and a new camera wont alter that.

Just out of interest I Googled the Sony 85mm f1.8 and it's about £540 UK and £399 grey import.

Those prices make the Sony 85mm's f1.8 and maybe questionable bokeh less of an issue v a £1k new Sigma :D

I would think £1099? or £1199. Seeing the 105 was launched at £1399 and that was 2 years ago too.

Prices in general have increased a fair bit since then and I think this will be the case with this lens, but we will see. L mount lenses in particular are quite pricey usually so would expect this to be the same.

Just out of interest I Googled the Sony 85mm f1.8 and it's about £540 UK and £399 grey import.

Those prices make the Sony 85mm's f1.8 and maybe questionable bokeh less of an issue v a £1k new Sigma :D

Yeah the 85 f/1.8 is very good value for money.

For me if they can provide anywhere near the 85 f/1.8 in terms of fast a.f performance along with the nicer image quality it’s worth it.

I appreciate not everyone would feel the same way.

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 lens will be priced at $1,199

• 15 elements in 11 groups (including 5 SLD lenses and 1 aspherical lens),
  • shortest focus distance is 0.85m,
  • maximum shooting magnification 1:8.4
  • 11 diaphragm blades (circular diaphragm)
  • filter Diameter 77mm
  • size φ82.8 x 94.1mm
  • weight 630g
  • stepping motor
  • dustproof and drop proof,
  • iris ring lock switch
  • $1199 dollars

That is very light for what it is. Want.

For a little more you can get the FE 135 f1.8 grey or is that a bit too long .

Rob.

For a little more you can get the FE 135 f1.8 grey or is that a bit too long .

Rob.

I think between a 135 or 85 most would probably prefer 85. Its launch RRP, it wont stay that price for long and grey will also be cheaper. The 135GM is £1,600... thats a lot more anyway.

Last edited:

• filter Diameter 77mm
  • size φ82.8 x 94.1mm
  • weight 630g
  • stepping motor
  • iris ring lock switch
  • $1199 dollars

So probably around £1200-£1300 launch price here.

Stepping motor means the newer faster motor so that is good news. It must be very front heavy though as 630g means it's heavier than the Samyang 85 even if it is a little smaller.

• filter Diameter 77mm
  • size φ82.8 x 94.1mm
  • weight 630g
  • stepping motor
  • iris ring lock switch
  • $1199 dollars

That would be nice ;)
So probably around £1200-£1300 launch price here.

Stepping motor means the newer faster motor so that is good news. It must be very front heavy though as 630g means it's heavier than the Samyang 85 even if it is a little smaller.
I was hoping for around £600, but that's before I realised it was an Art. Even if it comes down in price to around £900 that's still going to be too expensive for me :(

I was hoping for around £600, but that's before I realised it was an Art. Even if it comes down in price to around £900 that's still going to be too expensive for me :(

You always say that about gear, then buy it lol.

The sigma seems to have more elements and groups 11/15 vs 8/11 for 190g less with same filter thread. How are they doing this?

Last edited:
I think between a 135 or 85 most would probably prefer 85. Its launch RRP, it wont stay that price for long and grey will also be cheaper. The 135GM is £1,600... thats a lot more anyway.
under £1300 efin but yes 85 does give more room I like the 70/200 range zoom for portraits a bit of weight though but fine on a tripod in the studio ,my studio roof is being replaced tomorrow but doubt i will do much for quite some time .

Rob.

under £1300 efin but yes 85 does give more room I like the 70/200 range zoom for portraits a bit of weight though but fine on a tripod in the studio ,my studio roof is being replaced tomorrow but doubt i will do much for quite some time .

Rob.

But you cant really compare grey to non grey pricing. If the Sigma turns out to be £1,200 UK retail then the Sony is £1600. Im not really a big zoom user, always liked the idea of and bought quite a few 70-200s but just never got on with them. Do you have the 2.8?

That would be nice ;)

The difference between what you want to pay and what it will likely drop too is the equivalent of:

A one night stay in a mediocre hotel

or

A decent night out

or

A meal for 2 at a decent restaurant

• filter Diameter 77mm
  • size φ82.8 x 94.1mm
  • weight 630g
  • stepping motor
  • iris ring lock switch
  • $1199 dollars

To me the look it gives is crucial and if it's not a nice smooth bokeh 85mm might as well just get the cheaper Sony f1.8.

The difference between what you want to pay and what it will likely drop too is the equivalent of:

A one night stay in a mediocre hotel

or

A decent night out

or

A meal for 2 at a decent restaurant
Wow you live an expensive lifestyle if £300 is a meal for 2, or a one night stay in a “mediocre” hotel :eek: A good meal for 2 for me is fifty quid :LOL:

Wow you live an expensive lifestyle if £300 is a meal for 2, or a one night stay in a “mediocre” hotel :eek: A good meal for 2 for me is fifty quid :LOL:

Maybe those things are just more expensive here.

A good hotel here is about £500 per night.

A good restaurant meal is about £95 a head plus a bottle of wine and a couple of drinks you are easily over £300 for a meal for 2.

£500 a night get in a Ryokan with your own volcanic spring water bath, kaiseki meal (A Japanese version of a multi course taster menu), and breakfast in bed in Japan for 2.

It sounds more than just expensive, sounds like ripped off.

But you cant really compare grey to non grey pricing. If the Sigma turns out to be £1,200 UK retail then the Sony is £1600. Im not really a big zoom user, always liked the idea of and bought quite a few 70-200s but just never got on with them. Do you have the 2.8?
Well the sigma may be cheaper Grey :) Yes the 2.8 but only used it once very happy with it, i may buy the 135 GM but not until I have had a good go with the 70/200 GM zoom

Rob.

A good restaurant meal is about £95 a head plus a bottle of wine and a couple of drinks you are easily over £300 for a meal for 2.

My favourite local hotel is £65-90 a night.

It's very quiet and there's a lovely view of the cliffs at Saltburn. The last time we stayed we were the only guests.

Might be a reason for that :)

hehe.

They'd had a lot of rally drivers in but they all left the day before. We were the last guests before they mothballed the place for a winter shut down. Being the only guests was a little surreal especially at breakfast with all the staff waiting on us and a mountain of food just for us. It is lovely. I'd live there :D

The rally drivers seem to be regulars or something the owner is into. There are some lovely action pictures on the walls.

Last edited:
My favourite local hotel is £65-90 a night.

It's very quiet and there's a lovely view of the cliffs at Saltburn. The last time we stayed we were the only guests.

Ours is £565 a night although to be fair that’s for a suite.

Where do you live, Abu Dhabi ;)

The £565 price is with our discount we get as well. :ROFLMAO: The suite we get is over £700 a night.

I'd be expecting to take not just the free flimsy slippers and tiny bottles of shampoo home with me but also the bed, bedding, bedside tables, TV, kettle and towels.

This reminds me of a rude skit on American Express, "Do you take American Express?"
"Certainly sir. Would you like to rub my t***?" At £700 a night I'd expect good service.

I'd be expecting to take not just the free flimsy slippers and tiny bottles of shampoo home with me but also the bed, bedding, bedside tables, TV, kettle and towels.

This reminds me of a rude skit on American Express, "Do you take American Express?"
"Certainly sir. Would you like to rub my t***?" At £700 a night I'd expect good service.

I wouldn’t say the service is overly great but you do get a private hot tub etc. It’s the ticket but only for special occasions.

We occasionally do the odd wedding there as well.

If you want great service you need to go to the Ritz, they will pretty much wipe your arse for you. Only been twice but it was something else but at a ridiculous price.

Last edited:
Back