The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I know it is a kit lens, but what are folks thoughts on the Zeiss 32mm f1.8 E Touit as a everyday lens.

Don’t have any experience of it Dave. But the Sony 35 f1.8 is very good.

I`m going to be keeping at least two of my Fuji`s just looking at getting another two Sony ones. 35mm f1.8 and might get the 50mm.

The 50 f1.8 has semi-functional AF. Opinions vary, and while optically great, even at £135 from Amazon I sent mine back. The 55 f1.8 Zeiss is excellent all round, if a little spendy.

The 50 f1.8 has semi-functional AF. Opinions vary, and while optically great, even at £135 from Amazon I sent mine back. The 55 f1.8 Zeiss is excellent all round, if a little spendy.

Thanks Toni, will wait till I get my head round the Sony then will get another lens then so will have a look at that lens soon.

I haven't even opened the box of my 55 yet, off to Crete on Thursday so might take it or just stick to the 24-105.

What`s coming Thursday is Sony A7 iii with 28-70mm so I got the 35mm f1.8 too.

I have the 28-70mm kit lens and I think it's rather good. I also have the Sony 35mm f1.8, the close focus ability is nice.

Last edited:
I haven't even opened the box of my 55 yet, off to Crete on Thursday so might take it or just stick to the 24-105.

I would absolutely take both. TBH I find the 55 a bit too long for a general use lens, while the 24-105 is excellent for that.

Where are you going? We went to Rethymno a couple of years back after a 30 year break, and were a bit shocked at how built up the place was, but there are some relatively unspoiled areas on the south western end. and up in the mountains.

I would absolutely take both. TBH I find the 55 a bit too long for a general use lens, while the 24-105 is excellent for that.

Where are you going? We went to Rethymno a couple of years back after a 30 year break, and were a bit shocked at how built up the place was, but there are some relatively unspoiled areas on the south western end. and up in the mountains.
Piskopiano, never been to Crete, just liked the reviews for the apartments, not much choice right now, Greece or Turkey mainly, all a bit rushed, desperately need a break though.

Piskopiano, never been to Crete, just liked the reviews for the apartments, not much choice right now, Greece or Turkey mainly, all a bit rushed, desperately need a break though.

OK, so between Iraklio/Heraklion and Malia. If you visit Knossos (might be quiet this year - make the most of the chance) and the Lasithi plateau/Dikti caves then you'll be glad of both lenses. If it's just a beach hol then the 55 will be enough.

The dimwit fanboy who always annoys me on Luminous Landscape is insisting that the Sony E mount is limited and used as proof (amongst other points) the fact that Sony doesn't make any f1.2 primes. All his points are bogus and whilst it is true that Sony doesn't make any f1.2 lenses ones from other makers do seem to work on A7's. I have proof :D

I expect a ban or at least a warning for my response. They banned me last time for calling him a fanboy (which he unquestionably is) but I'll really have to stop going to that site as there really is some rubbish posted there. It's like the worst aspects of DPR but with people who think they're the cream.

PS.
This is the guy who insists that Nikon invented AF.
Here's a spoiler... They didn't.

I promise never to go to that silly place again. No point anyway as I'll be banned :D

Last edited:
While Sony's mount diameter doesn't affect the possibility of having f1.2 or faster lenses, I do wonder if it affects the IBIS performance. Sony have proved me wrong in the past and I may be wrong here but I feel it is a limitation.

As for designing good future proof mounts go canon has the best track record. EF mount imo is the best one of the lot in terms of design.

Of course Nikon F is the oldest one and Nikon made it work till now but I am not sure if that's the best way.

The dimwit fanboy who always annoys me on Luminous Landscape is insisting that the Sony E mount is limited and used as proof (amongst other points) the fact that Sony doesn't make any f1.2 primes. All his points are bogus and whilst it is true that Sony doesn't make any f1.2 lenses ones from other makers do seem to work on A7's. I have proof :D

I expect a ban or at least a warning for my response. They banned me last time for calling him a fanboy (which he unquestionably is) but I'll really have to stop going to that site as there really is some rubbish posted there. It's like the worst aspects of DPR but with people who think they're the cream.

PS.

I promise never to go to that silly place again. No point anyway as I'll be banned :D

The Sigma 35mm f/1.2 is widely regarded as the best a.f 35mm lens money can buy.

While Sony's mount diameter doesn't affect the possibility of having f1.2 or faster lenses, I do wonder if it affects the IBIS performance. Sony have proved me wrong in the past and I may be wrong here but I feel it is a limitation.

As for designing good future proof mounts go canon has the best track record. EF mount imo is the best one of the lot in terms of design.

Of course Nikon F is the oldest one and Nikon made it work till now but I am not sure if that's the best way.

A Sony manager/engineer gave a formula some time ago and stated that the maximum aperture was as far as I remember something like f0.6 so that's irrelevant as no one is going to make one. The only other limitation I could think of is as you say IS and sensor movement but I'm only guessing and I have no idea how many stops that may relate to. Looking at my f1.2 lenses and at the various reviews on line for other lenses vignetting doesn't seem to be out of line with what we'd expect from any other system, there doesn't seem to be any proof that the Sony mount is too small there.

On the Canon mount I suppose one could say that it has the potential to make lenses unnecessarily big. It's not as if f2 zooms haven't been done before or even f1.8 ones. How that wideness translates into reality I don't know but a wider mount must add something to the bulk and weight even if in the end it's an insignificant amount of extra metal, plastic and glass.

The Sigma 35mm f/1.2 is widely regarded as the best a.f 35mm lens money can buy.

Yes, someone else did point that out to him. I'm not really in the market for big heavy lenses but I do know the Sigma f1.2 exists and I do have the MF Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 and Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2. OK the Rokkor is a film era lens but I can't see how that negates the argument that it works as do the various adaptable and E mount f1.2 and wider lenses already available. There are of course even f0.95 lenses.

I generally don't like fanboyism or bullies or people who make wild claims with no ability to even begin to back them up and to add insult to injury he had the temerity to tell me to keep on point as he didn't want the thread to become about brands... after he'd unnecessarily dragged the E mount into it :D Anyway. I will try and stop going there again. I'm done with reading his inaccurate fanboy drivel.

Last edited:
Well now that cinema's wnt be opening anytime soon, i will just pop round yours to see TENANT!!!

dont worry i will bring some popcorn hehe
No need chap.... ;)
46929964645_c6c3c2e4df_c.jpg

PS.

Looks like you'll be going to confession this week Alan?

While Sony's mount diameter doesn't affect the possibility of having f1.2 or faster lenses, I do wonder if it affects the IBIS performance. Sony have proved me wrong in the past and I may be wrong here but I feel it is a limitation....
Given that Sony have has IBIS via the A-Mount since 2006 (A100), it would be a bit surprising if they then designed a mount that adversely affected it - unless they really did just intend e-mount to be APS-C originally.
Of course, in a big company isometimes one department will have little or no contact with another, so it's also possible that the e-mount IBIS implementation was done without discussion with the A-Mount IBIS team, but that seems unlikely.

I know it is a kit lens, but what are folks thoughts on the Zeiss 32mm f1.8 E Touit as a everyday lens.
The 28-70mm is surprisingly sharp when stopped down (y)

I've got a 2.5 day dilemma now on whether to pack the FE85 or the Contax CZ 80-200mm for a week on the Jurassic Coast......

I'm edging towards the 85mm so I at least have something with AF but looking at images from the weekend with that and the CV40 I wasn't overwhelmed by the output!

Forgive me from butting into all you big boys, but I thought I'd share this with you taken at the weekend with the lowly A6000 wot I bought from @Lefrash of this parish.

Grey Seals at Portgordon by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Back