The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A little non Sony diversion...

The cheapest camera on Amazon, apparently...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=BMgLIrwPdd8&feature=emb_logo

The worst digital camera I've ever had was a keychain one. I can't remember what happened to it, maybe I buried it somewhere. Anyway. It was rubbish. The second worst one I've had is my Medion which I still have. It's a nice credit card sized all metal thing and sort of interesting as a designed thing but the colours are sometimes waaaaay out, so much so that I sometimes open the pictures as raws and see what I can do to make them less striking.

Here it is with a Jessops special Canon Ixus and a Panasonic LF1 which I stupidly gave away...

Zk53Ya7.jpg

And here are some pictures I took with it.

iVBG812.jpg

bS0225m.jpg

ZDsDX8S.jpg

BRoiPZi.jpg

Last edited:

I bought mine around the start of July and been using it frequently since then, I've been very pleased with it. It gives the camera a decent range but without being too bulky and obviously a lot cheaper than the Sony version.

Tamron 28-200mm update

Thanks for that, will get mine updated.

Edit: Or not :(

" This service is unavailable at this moment due to system error. "

Last edited:
The bokeh looks nice but a definite ouch for the pincushion.

I bought mine around the start of July and been using it frequently since then, I've been very pleased with it. It gives the camera a decent range but without being too bulky and obviously a lot cheaper than the Sony version.

It is APS-C though John?

Just got an email, Sigma launch price is £999 so not as bad as some predicted (y)

Yeah rumoured price was $1300 so that’s not to be bad. Give it a couple of months and it will drop at least another £100.

Just been watching a few reviews of the new Sigma 85 as expected it’s super sharp, the rendering isn’t just as nice as the G.M but it has faster a.f than the G.M.

Have pretty much decided that this has gone from a lens I wasn’t that interested in to being a lens I will be definitely be swapping out my 85 f/1.8 for. Will be keeping the G.M though.

Last edited:
I'll watch some vids sometime but that pincushion distortion looks epic and more like what we'd see from a superzoom. It may not matter and I don't know how the Sony f1.8 tests or if any corrections will be applied in camera or via a lens profile for this Sigma.

I'll watch some vids sometime but that pincushion distortion looks epic and more like what we'd see from a superzoom. It may not matter and I don't know how the Sony f1.8 tests or if any corrections will be applied in camera or via a lens profile for this Sigma.

Old v New

sf.JPG

sg.JPG

Pincushion distortion isn’t really an issue for portraits and can actually be quite pleasing. Could be an issue for other things though. You would imagine it will be a one click fix in lightroom anyway.

C.A performance on the new Sigma is excellent, it’s even out performing the G.M.

Just been watching a few reviews of the new Sigma 85 as expected it’s super sharp, the rendering isn’t just as nice as nice as the G.M but it has faster a.f than the G.M.

Have pretty much decided that this has gone from a lens I wasn’t that interested in to being a lens I will be definitely be swapping out my 85 f/1.8 for. Will be keeping the G.M though.

Dustin says its faster than the GM in terms of AF and on par with the FE 1.8 but not as consistent. nice.

There's been a bit on The Online Photographer about "Nesting" which he explains as having a two lens kit, one lens being a do it all zoom and the other being a fast prime somewhere within the focal lengths covered by the do it all lens. So, a 28-70mm and a 35mm f1.8 would fit this nesting idea very well.

I've often thought that a standard zoom and a prime would cover 99.9% of my needs, but I can never restrict myself to that :D

When I go walkabout and take the Husky with me, I tend to take my 35 & 85mm mainly. I used to take the 24-70, 70-210, 35 and 85mm. Not easy lugging all that around especially as the husky only has the equivalent of two human speeds; fast Walk and you are now running, so as lightweight as possible is good lol!

Actually I wonder if I can put like a kids toy trailer on him, put all the gear in it and have him pull it lol!

2 other reviews I have seen said it’s sharper in the centre and the corners than the old lens. :ROFLMAO:

I think they are that close that it really doesnt matter they are ridiculously sharp. If they were both the same price the new lens is obviously a no brainer, they will sell loads.

I think they are that close that it really doesnt matter they are ridiculously sharp. If they were both the same price the new lens is obviously a no brainer, they will sell loads.

Hoping they can do the same with the 35 soon in terms of making it smalller apparently all of their lenses are going to get the same treatment.

The new lens is the same price as the old one just the old one is on offer at the moment. It will likely be discontinued now.

Last edited:
Hoping they can do the same with the 35 soon in terms of making it smalller apparently all of their lenses are going to get the same treatment.

The new lens is the same price as the old one just the old one is on offer at the moment. It will likely be discontinued now.

Yeah, Sigma are killing it. Not sure why they waste their time even trying to make cameras.

Sorry I'm not understanding you, what do you mean it is APS-C?

If you use a lens that is termed APS-C on a full frame camera then it will cut the corners off on the full frame sensor due to an APS-C sensor being smaller meaning the lens is also smaller and doesnt cover the full frame sensor so you get a pure black vignette Effect In the corners. Software in the camera can adjust but you will lose MegaPixels as a result. I think you get around 10-12MP Images on a 24MP full frame camera.

This is an example below.

Attachments

• 734935DE-D427-4FE8-84C8-B06498240920.png
    734935DE-D427-4FE8-84C8-B06498240920.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 4
If you use a lens that is termed APS-C on a full frame camera then it will cut the corners off on the full frame sensor due to an APS-C sensor being smaller meaning the lens is also smaller and doesnt cover the full frame sensor so you get a pure black vignette Effect In the corners. Software in the camera can adjust but you will lose MegaPixels as a result. I think you get around 10-12MP Images on a 24MP full frame camera.

This is an example below.

I'm familiar with how crop lenses work on full frame sensors but the lens in the quote is a full frame lens, not APS-C.

BIG oooops, as I always thought I`d be Fuji I only got Capture one FUJI haha. Looks like I will be buying Capture one for both Fuji and Sony then I will get a couple of Sony lenses in a few days.

Or not... ;)

If it's the sub version you have dave maybe they will allow you switch to the universal version? Otherwise I'm with Twist here, get the express Sony version - afaik these free versions have most options you'll need [I have the free Fuji one] bar spot healing and a couple other options.

He goes on to say the old one is sharper in the center and corner. CA control is excellent, Bokeh looks really nice. Looks an awesome little lens.
TBH I don't even look at sharpness anymore, 99.9% of all modern lenses are sharp enough, pop and bokeh is what I look at (y)

Or not... ;)

Too late just got it for £159.

First shot edited of My Girl. A7 III + 35mm f1.8

In the Light by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
Trying to reduce my landscape kit weight so have ordered the 3 Legged Thing Punks Brian, and Tenba Solstice 24l, will probably sell my Manfrotto tripod and head if Brian's as good as I'm hoping. Looking at other ways to save weight too, will probably revisit my filters and filter case too (y)

Pincushion distortion isn’t really an issue for portraits and can actually be quite pleasing. Could be an issue for other things though. You would imagine it will be a one click fix in lightroom anyway.

C.A performance on the new Sigma is excellent, it’s even out performing the G.M.

I was thinking about people shots including the interior or exterior of buildings. I know it won't matter for people shots except when they have very angular features :D

I don't know how bad the Sony f1.8 is or how the old Sigma 85mm f1.4 Canon fit DSLR lens I had performed but that test result for that new lens did shock me as I had no idea 85's could be that bad. It's as if the test result was drawn freehand by someone after a really heavy drinking session.

Yup. The Sony 35mm f1.8 is a nice lens but I think the CA and bokeh performance are only average. The plus points for me are the AF speed, performance across the frame from wide open and the close focus ability.

Back