The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thank you. She is. She's my other halfs really but adores the ground I walk on!

We're going up be in trouble now though because we've just gone down to Dorset for a week without her!
You’ll be getting the black looks when you get back then!

Glad to see your new cameras getting you out and about.

Once I get totally stumped I will ask for help, but today went like a dream. I have never been a fanboy as I just go for the feel of a camera and all the other stuff but I`m seriously impressed with this Sony.

You’ll be getting the black looks when you get back then!

Indeed. She was never too bad in that regard but we lost the other Jack in April and my missus has been off work since the March lockdown - well, she went back last week - so she's spent months having people and company all day long. Unfortunately, we booked this last year and it's no pets.

Indeed. She was never too bad in that regard but we lost the other Jack in April and my missus has been off work since the March lockdown - well, she went back last week - so she's spent months having people and company all day long. Unfortunately, we booked this last year and it's no pets.
We went away for a few days last week without Mistletoe. Normally we would take her, but this time we fancied the long trip to the Moray coast without a continuous conversation from the back seat. Left her with a good friend. She didn’t want to come home!

We went away for a few days last week without Mistletoe. Normally we would take her, but this time we fancied the long trip to the Moray coast without a continuous conversation from the back seat. Left her with a good friend. She didn’t want to come home!

Bless! Luckily her son still lives at home and her daughter is moving out next weekend so she will have people in the house. She will still be miserable though.

Few more from toady, A7 III + 35mmm f1.8.. @G.K.Jnr. will know the last man.

One Man Band by Dave, on Flickr

Hayley by Dave, on Flickr

Guitar Man by Dave, on Flickr

Didgeridoo Man by Dave, on Flickr

Very nice set of shots Dave, liking all of these very much.

“I do indeed recognise the guy in the last shot as I snapped him last year at what looks to be exactly the same place. Incidentally the kettle BBQ looking things that he’s playing are called “Hardpan/Cupola/Pantams” and some very good sounds he gets from them too”

Also “Sshh” don’t tell anyone else but I too have invested in some Sony kit, and pretty impressed with it I am too. :):)

George.

Very nice set of shots Dave, liking all of these very much.

“I do indeed recognise the guy in the last shot as I snapped him last year at what looks to be exactly the same place. Incidentally the kettle BBQ looking things that he’s playing are called “Hardpan/Cupola/Pantams” and some very good sounds he gets from them too”

Also “Sshh” don’t tell anyone else but I too have invested in some Sony kit, and pretty impressed with it I am too. :):)

George.

Thanks George, I will keep the X100V, but so far very impressed with this A7.

DPR has a piece on the best lenses for Sony APS-C and FF...

Questionable choices could be the 28mm f2 and 50mm f2.8 macro which I personally thought was so bad it was unusable as an AF lens on my A7.

Questionable choices could be the 28mm f2 and 50mm f2.8 macro which I personally thought was so bad it was unusable as an AF lens on my A7.

Maybe they tried them on modern bodies?

Maybe they tried them on modern bodies?

Very possibly but in that case I'd include references to the lens possibly being an unreliable pile of poop on model abc and better when used on model xyz. I can't remember what the newest body was when I got my 50mm macro but I do remember some reviews did mention a tendency to hunt. How a lens with such a question mark over it can be a best choice without warnings and qualifications beggars belief.

I know it's says April but that article feels like it was written over a year ago. Maybe a lazy hotch potch of previous articles? Lots of questionable choices there.

I think the purpose of that article was to highlight lenses based on not just performance but also value for money etc.

If you look at what they have put as the best option for each focal length rather than each headline lens mentioned it makes more sense for example they mention the Sigma Art 35mm as the best option compared to the 28mm.

As with all these types of articles it’s just click bait rather than looking to provide actual advice.

What's wrong with the 28mm F2 lens? I've liked it for the small size and not had any focusing issues with it.

That said there's a lot of odd choices in that article which I don't understand.

What's wrong with the 28mm F2 lens? I've liked it for the small size and not had any focusing issues with it.

That said there's a lot of odd choices in that article which I don't understand.

Some might say that it has quite a bit of distortion and relies on corrections, which some people rightly or wrongly see as less pure, it's a bit soft wide open and stopped down it's nothing unremarkable across the frame and there's CA and vignetting. None of those things would necessarily rule it out for me and on the positive side the bokeh does look nice but 28mm isn't a focal length I use a lot. I have three old film era 28's and I'm struggling to think of the last time I used them but if I came across a 28mm f2 at a good price I'd think about it very seriously because of the look it gives but I do think there are probably enough question marks over it to make selecting it as the best prime for Sony FF seem a bit of an eyebrow raiser, maybe.

The FE 28mm has been my go to lens on my last two trips to Thailand,it's tiny and does the job for me.

I've been to Thailand three times, it's where I met Mrs WW :D The first time I took my Panasonic GX7 and 20mm f1.7 but later took my A7 and 35mm f2.8 and a compact camera.

I've been to Thailand three times, it's where I met Mrs WW :D The first time I took my Panasonic GX7 and 20mm f1.7 but later took my A7 and 35mm f2.8 and a compact camera.
We have been twice so far. Should be going again in November but are expecting it will be cancelled. We visited Koh lanta and ended up adopting a cat from lanta animal welfare an organisation set up by a lady from Norway.

All these photos - people might think we actually use our cameras rather than just obsess about the specs!

i-sgLWCQx-XL.jpg

i-LjG9gS3-L.jpg

i-53QvQCF-XL.jpg

DSC05772_edit-XL.jpg

(Annoyed I got the DOF slightly wrong and they're not all in focus...)

I can't remember the last time I saw such a photo to gear talk ratio :p

A good thing :D

I haven't taken any outdoor pictures for a while as it's the same every day here, complete cloud cover, a white/grey sky, flat dead light and no point even bothering.

All these photos - people might think we actually use our cameras rather than just obsess about the specs!

i-sgLWCQx-XL.jpg

i-LjG9gS3-L.jpg

i-53QvQCF-XL.jpg

DSC05772_edit-XL.jpg

(Annoyed I got the DOF slightly wrong and they're not all in focus...)
1 & 3 are great (y)

This is the talk equipment section and not the photo sharing section :p

My Tamron 70-180mm arrived this morning. Had a brief test and all is well.

However, I can hear the internal focus mechanism moves slightly when the camera is not switched on.

For those who have the lens, is this normal?

Thanks.

Back