The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have several lenses which rattle but not when turned on. It's possibly a floating element or if it has IS something to do with that?

Best wait for someone who knows :D but I think it's probably normal.

My Tamron 70-180mm arrived this morning. Had a brief test and all is well.

However, I can hear the internal focus mechanism moves slightly when the camera is not switched on.

For those who have the lens, is this normal?

Thanks.
Lots of lenses with image stabilisation do this when camera is turned off or they are not connected.

My Tamron 70-180mm arrived this morning. Had a brief test and all is well.

However, I can hear the internal focus mechanism moves slightly when the camera is not switched on.

For those who have the lens, is this normal?

Thanks.

Just tested mine out and if I shake the lens about it clunks.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 + No.4 close up filter.

50% crop, just to see some colour and shape.

yNWvfW6.jpg

It's a strange day here, there's sun and shadow but by eye an almost featureless white sky so there's nothing to do except process to the max!

ACtgNOB.jpg

Some might say that it has quite a bit of distortion and relies on corrections, which some people rightly or wrongly see as less pure, it's a bit soft wide open and stopped down it's nothing unremarkable across the frame and there's CA and vignetting. None of those things would necessarily rule it out for me and on the positive side the bokeh does look nice but 28mm isn't a focal length I use a lot. I have three old film era 28's and I'm struggling to think of the last time I used them but if I came across a 28mm f2 at a good price I'd think about it very seriously because of the look it gives but I do think there are probably enough question marks over it to make selecting it as the best prime for Sony FF seem a bit of an eyebrow raiser, maybe.

Certainly I think the premise of a 'best prime' is flawed and basically pointless article because there's so many different aspects to cover that choosing a singular prime lens or any other category is pretty much worthless. I am a big fan of the 28mm F2 as it's small, light, cheap and I find it decent optically and crucially it works well in the gimbal and easy to balance. With all the talk about 85mm lenses I decided to try it in the gimbal today which was a bad mistake, I had a lot of problems balancing it and then when getting the tripod ready I'd taken too long as the item I wanted to take video and photo of was about to pass by so I gave up on getting a photo since I couldn't drop the gimbal. The gimbal sensed it was about to be useful and threw a literal wobbly so I was left with a camera on the ground while the other was juddering violently in my hands.

On the subject of articulated screens I was thinking it's not something I use very often but before I was setting up I'd taken a shot a 200mm over a wall with my arms fully stretched up and on my tip toes which I was able to frame fine with the screen flipped so definitely something that's handy when you need it.

Suggestions please for a wide-angle lens (20mm to 24mm ffequiv.) for my A6000 (aps-c). Nothing too expensive! (Be gentle - I’m a Sony virgin)

Looking at prices online for the Sony A7R4, £2200 for grey import or £3500 to buy in the UK :rolleyes: I can buy the A7R4 and the 24mm 1.4 GM for less than the price of the body in the UK, madness .

Suggestions please for a wide-angle lens (20mm to 24mm ffequiv.) for my A6000 (aps-c). Nothing too expensive! (Be gentle - I’m a Sony virgin)

Tamron 24 and 20mm f2.8 primes seem pretty good & have a 1:2 close up ability. The Samyang 18mm f2.8 is a little wider and nicely crisp if stopped down a little.

Tamron 24 and 20mm f2.8 primes seem pretty good & have a 1:2 close up ability. The Samyang 18mm f2.8 is a little wider and nicely crisp if stopped down a little.

For me, nice price, nice FL, nice size, nice close up, not decentered AFAIK, letdown 2.8. Seems good vfm.

Samyang 24mm is a pocketable lens that's not bad at all. Might be able to get one used about £200.

49mm filter thread which is the same as the 35mm 2.8, 55mm f1.8 and 28mm f2. Which is handy.

Madness I know!

I ordered my A7iii through Panamoz and really rare their delivery and customer service so they’ll get my business for the A7R4.

I went UK at launch. Cheaper than grey plus 3yr Sony UK warranty but that was a rarity ime.

Samyang 24mm is a pocketable lens that's not bad at all. Might be able to get one used about £200.

49mm filter thread which is the same as the 35mm 2.8, 55mm f1.8 and 28mm f2. Which is handy.
But 24mm on ff is roughly 36mm fov on aps-c, which I’ve already got covered, I’m afraid. Been looking at the Sony 10-18, but ideally would like f2.8.

Back