The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

£140 for a new Sammy 35mm? Wow :eek:

£144 to be exact. I don't know if it was a miss-price but it was honoured! Its a great lens and weighs next to nothing, only negative is the adapter for updating firmware is almost 50% the cost of the lens lol!

£144 to be exact. I don't know if it was a miss-price but it was honoured! Its a great lens and weighs next to nothing, only negative is the adapter for updating firmware is almost 50% the cost of the lens lol!
Yeah they’ve gone up a bit since I had mine :oops: :$

My new toy came early. It's a Nikon 50mm f1.8 pancake lens. One of my favourite lenses is the Nippon Kogaku 50mm f2 and this pancake lens is quite a bit smaller and it also focuses closer, 1.5ft for the pancake and 2ft for the f2. The pancake bokeh seems to be about in line with the f2's but the pancake is sharper and actually surprisingly sharp wide open, it also seems to have much less vignetting but on the downside is seems more susceptible to flare and the f2 is IMO better built and handles better but I wanted this pancake as it is apparently a bit of a sort after lens and I wanted to give one a try. I had to get this one from Japan as there didn't seem to be any in the UK or Europe. This one is the all metal one that focuses to 1.5ft, others that were available are those that focus to 2ft or plastic ones.

Anyway, this is the f1.8 metal close focusing pancake.

4gOHShy.jpg

The rear cap is from a Tamron and is deeper than the usual Nikon one and so makes this lens look a bit bigger than it is.

88gw2Tq.jpg

This is the f2, one of my favourites.

Fb9E8Cx.jpg

One of my first pictures with the f1.8. She was moving and talking but it's sharp enough.

4prjeq3.jpg

Whole picture.

VXZWvIa.jpg

100% crop. I think this is good for an old lens although as usual it'll lose some sharpness by being posted here.

JMvaZ2w.jpg

To show bokeh at a distance.

YYhq3vf.jpg

Now I need some time to go somewhere to use it.

Last edited:
My new toy came early. It's a Nikkon 50mm f1.8 pancake lens. One of my favourite lenses is the Nippon Kogaku 50mm f2 and this pancake lens is quite a bit smaller and it also focuses closer, 1.5ft for the pancake and 2ft for the f2. The pancake bokeh seems to be about in line with the f2's but the pancake is sharper and actually surprisingly sharp wide open, it also seems to have much less vignetting but on the downside is seems more susceptible to flare and the f2 is IMO better built and handles better but I wanted this pancake as it is apparently a bit of a sort after lens and I wanted to give one a try. I had to get this one from Japan as there didn't seem to be any in the UK or Europe. This one is the all metal one that focuses to 1.5ft, others that were available are those that focus to 2ft or plastic ones.

Anyway, this is the f1.8 metal close focusing pancake.

4gOHShy.jpg

The rear cap is from a Tamron and is deeper than the usual Nikon one and so makes this lens look a bit bigger than it is.

88gw2Tq.jpg

This is the f2, one of my favourites.

Fb9E8Cx.jpg

One of my first pictures with the f1.8. She was moving and talking but it's sharp enough.

4prjeq3.jpg

Whole picture.

VXZWvIa.jpg

100% crop. I think this is good for an old lens although as usual it'll lose some sharpness by being posted here.

JMvaZ2w.jpg

To show bokeh at a distance.

YYhq3vf.jpg

Now I need some time to go somewhere to use it.

I have one of these that an old timer gave me a few years ago. It’s been laying in my junk drawer ever since.

What are they worth?

If you can find one I'd say round about or in excess of £100.

I don't know exactly how much mine was as it as in USD so I wont know exactly until I look at my credit card statement. I do know that the import duty was £32 plus change but I'm happy enough as these seem to be quite rare.

There are different versions and this one with the serial number beginning with 2 is apparently the most desirable. The ones that focus to 2ft and the plastic bodied ones seem to be much easier to find and cheaper.

I wish I'd known about yours as maybe I'd have saved the import duty :D

It's a nice lens, maybe you should give it a try?

Are these with the Tamron 28-75mm? Looks incredible if so :)

Yes sir, quite useful close focus at 28mm. I don't have a dedicated Macro lens yet so always reach for the Tamron in these situations.

Even on my A7 face detect is a game changer :D I think my Panasonic cameras all have eye detect.

Back when I had DSLR's the focus points limited composition unless the picture was cropped. That seems like tech from 1952 now :D

Just one more quick point on the Nikon 50mm f1.8 pancake, if anyone is interested... I'm amazed at how little blooming or glow there is at f1.8, basically none. I think this lens is better than some modern lenses in the central area at f1.8.

Last edited:

I'm struggling to see an advantage a pop up evf gives. If the camera just had a fixed one surely that'd be easier and cheaper to make as it doesn't require any pop up mechanism.

Actually, maybe a pop up one saves taking up room on the back of the camera but as some Axxxx cameras have one I do wonder what the problem is or how small the camera needs to be to need to have a pop up evf rather than a fixed one? My Panasonic TZ100 is quite small and yet it manages to have a fixed evf. I suppose it all comes down to the idiocy of refusing to make and sell the kit people want.

I'm struggling to see an advantage a pop up evf gives. If the camera just had a fixed one surely that'd be easier and cheaper to make as it doesn't require any pop up mechanism.

Actually, maybe a pop up saves taking up room on the back of the camera but as some Axxxx cameras have one I do wonder what the problem is or how small the camera needs to be to need to have a pop up evf rather than a fixed one? My Panasonic TZ100 is quite small and yet it manages to have a fixed evf. I suppose it all comes down to the idiocy of refusing to make and sell the kit people want.

The pop up evf doesn't bother me much, single card slot makes it unusable for work though.

I would have bought one of these probably just as a holiday cam but would have liked the option for using it for occasional work as well which this one is no use for.

Really do like this 55mm f1.8 as had to test it today, sorry there`s a few. A7 III + 55mm f1.8.

Mr Serious by Dave, on Flickr

Shssss by Dave, on Flickr

Tatty Skateboarder by Dave, on Flickr

Squirrel by Dave, on Flickr

In the Light by Dave, on Flickr

St Nicholas of Myra by Dave, on Flickr

You seem to have missed focus on the eyes on those first two, very odd for the 55mm.

They all look a little soft actually. That lens is usually razor sharp. Almost looks like it is front focusing slightly which should never happen.

Last edited:
You seem to have missed focus on the eyes on those first two, very odd for the 55mm.

All 3 of the people shots look OOF, shutter speeds look good, so does the light. Wonder what AF mode was used.

Squirrel and leaf are fine, possibly UE, new camera.

Last edited:
All 3 of the people shots look OOF, shutter speeds look good, so does the light. Wonder what AF mode was used.

Squirrel and leaf are fine, possibly UE, new camera.

The squirrel doesn't have focus nailed on the eyes either seem to have focused on the branch. Looks front focused to me or as you say UE.

Nice, what’s the secret in getting your dog to pose for you? ;)

She's a well practiced model for sure, I'm sure I see her roll her eyes sometimes when I remove the lens cap :ROFLMAO:

They all look a little soft actually. That lens is usually razor sharp. Almost looks like it is front focusing slightly which should never happen.

Thing with me is, I never really want 100% sharp images so I`m very happy with these today. But thank you.

Back