The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've been following the rather slow moving Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 SE thread on Fred Miranda...

Reviews seem few and far between but this one caught my attention...

I'm undecided on this one. I bought the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 when it came out and then got the 35mm f1.4 when that came out and since getting that I've hardly used the 40mm as the 35mm f1.4 is much smaller and lighter and it's 35mm not 40mm. I also got the 50mm f2 and that is IMO a simply outstanding lens.

I started getting these because I wanted a couple of quality modern Sony mount MF lenses and in reality that's quite a limited list to choose from and I prefer the Voigtlanders over the Zeiss as I prefer the styling and handing of the Voigtlanders. I have thought about selling the 40mm f1.2 as it just isn't getting used but what stops me is that the 35mm f1.4 is poor in the corners and can give a very nervous and funky look at its widest apertures whereas the 40mm gives a much more modern and neutral look and is better into the extremes of the frame. So, the 35mm f1.2 could potentially replace my 35mm f1.4 and 40mm f1.2 but from what I've seen of this new lens performance across the frame and into the corners is at best adequate and downright poor compared to some modern AF lenses, bokeh is ok but nothing too special and ca is awful in some situations. Also, although the 35mm f1.4 can be funky at f1.x it is very compact and I just love using it and I do really like the look it gives when stopped down a bit. This stopped down look is IMO sometimes maybe under appreciated as people look at the more obvious wide aperture bokeh look.

So, from what I've seen so far I'm not blown away by this new 35mm f1.2 but I can't quite completely discount it yet. I suppose I should just keep what I have, the 35mm f1.4 for when I want a compact and sometimes characterful lens and the 40mm f1.2 when I want a more modern look at wide apertures but I've convinced myself that I can tell the difference between 35 and 40mm and I prefer 35. I will keep the 50mm as it's a completely different lens from the 35 or 40mm ones.

Hmmm. First world problems. Sorry to go on :D

PS.
Another thing is that some old film era lenses are very good stopped down a bit even in comparison to modern lenses. A good example being that Nikon 50mm pancake which is IMO very good and even quite compact when used with an adapter, the only question mark against it being performance at f1.8 and nervous bokeh compared to much newer and much bigger and heavier modern lenses.

Last edited:
This guy says 22nd August is street photography day. He's American so I don't know if it counts for anywhere else too...

A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8.

Off we go.

7jDjmwS.jpg

7Vnqb7p.jpg

Pretty flowers.

65gJFUA.jpg

Last edited:
Are you viewing your browser at 100% or do you have it zoomed in a bit, looks like it’s at 125% or something o_O

Actually I was zoomed in a tad for this forum, my close up eyesight is a bit rubbish. Though I turned it off to test and still doesn't fit.
Screen is 2880x1800 if that makes any difference? (If I mess about with the scaling of the display and set it 1920x1200 I can view the portrait images properly but the text is tiny)Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 13.45.05.png

Last edited:
Actually I was zoomed in a tad for this forum, my close up eyesight is a bit rubbish. Though I turned it off to test and still doesn't fit.
Screen is 2880x1800 if that makes any difference? (If I mess about with the scaling of the display and set it 1920x1200 I can view the portrait images properly but the text is tiny)View attachment 290245
Are you viewing on a Mac or PC?

I use Mac (MBP), iPad and iPhone and if using the bbcode mentioned it always fits on the screen. Do you use safari? I’d double check that you’ve got view set to 100% (y)

I think I’ve just stumbled across my new favourite rendering lens, the Zeiss Contax Yashica Distagon 35mm f1.4 :love:

I think I’ve just stumbled across my new favourite rendering lens, the Zeiss Contax Yashica Distagon 35mm f1.4 :love:

I'll have a look at some example pictures later but it looks a bit expensive to be a part of my little adaptable collection.

I'll have a look at some example pictures later but it looks a bit expensive to be a part of my little adaptable collection.
Definitely out of my budget. I wish they still make lenses that look like this though, so we have the really nice aesthetics but with good AF. I used to think it was a ‘film’ thing but I’m believing more and more that it’s ‘just’ the lenses.

Just to save me Googling and wading through the results, has anyone got a link to so sample pictures?

I'm looking for a good manual wide aperture 35mm and the Voigtlander f1.2 isn't convincing me.

I've just looked at some examples, it looks nice.

Last edited:
DPR has an A9II review...

"The Sony Alpha 9 Mark II comes with the best autofocus system we've seen. It's compact yet has a good-sized grip, produces great Raw and JPEG files, offers excellent battery life and solid video capture. That said, we do think its video capabilities and rear screen could be updated, and of course, this is a sports camera, so those looking for maximum resolution or dynamic range are barking up the wrong tree. But the a9 II meets and, in some cases, exceeds the capabilities of its peers and makes for a truly compelling value for sports and action photographers."

That's nice :D

Last year I mentioned on this thread that I would probably be investing in some Sony units. Unfortunately things went considerably pear shaped with regards to my health, leaving me with two lots of major surgery to contend with. I did however invest in a couple of RX cameras as I was not allowed to carry anything heavy like my full Fuji kit for quite some time and needed something half decent to use that I could carry reasonably well.

I know there are dedicated threads for these cameras but if its alright with you Sony users I should like to start posting a few snaps from these RX cameras on this thread. As this thread title says "& Anything Else Welcome Mega Thread" I presume that it will be alright but I Just thought I'd check first as the last thing I'd want to do is upset people.

At this moment in time I have no intentions of getting rid of my Fuji gear but I do intend to invest in some Sony APSC gear (I have no need for FF) once I can find out which are the optically best lenses to get.

George.

Last edited:
Last year I mentioned on this thread that I would probably be investing in some Sony units. Unfortunately things went considerably pear shaped with regards to my health, leaving me with two lots of major surgery to contend with. I did however invest in a couple of RX cameras as I was not allowed to carry anything heavy like my full Fuji kit for quite some time and needed something half decent to use that I could carry reasonably well.

I know there are dedicated threads for these cameras but if its alright with you Sony users I should like to start posting a few snaps from these RX cameras on this tread. As the thread title says "& Anything Else Welcome Mega Thread" I presume that it will be alright but I Just thought I'd check first as the last thing I'd want to do is upset people.

At this moment in time I have no intentions of getting rid of my Fuji gear but I do intend to invest in some Sony APSC gear (I have no need for FF) once I can find out which are the optically best lenses to get.

George.

Even though I`ve only just started posting in here, that`s fine with me @G.K.Jnr.

I know there are dedicated threads for these cameras but if its alright with you Sony users I should like to start posting a few snaps from these RX cameras on this tread. As the thread title says "& Anything Else Welcome Mega Thread" I presume that it will be alright but I Just thought I'd check first as the last thing I'd want to do is upset people.

George.

I don't see that as being a problem.

I hope your surgeries went well and you are making as good a recovery as possible.

George.
Hi George. Good to see you again (I was a regular in the Fooj forum till I defected to Nikon Z6) and hope you’re recovering. I too am now a viewer if not a regular poster on this forum as, for a similar reason as you, I have bought into the light but perfectly formed APSC A6000 setup. To keep the lenses as light as the bodies I have restricted myself to the Sony 18-135 and 10-18, plus a Sigma 30mm f2.8 for real compactness.

Hi George. Good to see you again (I was a regular in the Fooj forum till I defected to Nikon Z6) and hope you’re recovering. I too am now a viewer if not a regular poster on this forum as, for a similar reason as you, I have bought into the light but perfectly formed APSC A6000 setup. To keep the lenses as light as the bodies I have restricted myself to the Sony 18-135 and 10-18, plus a Sigma 30mm f2.8 for real compactness.

Hi Stephen, many thanks for that and I am back to full fitness now with everything functioning properly (apart from my brain):). I’m unable to jog now for as long as I used to but can still manage around six miles without a break which I guess is not too bad. Its not the new pump that gives any problems, just my legs decide they’ve had enough.

With regards to the Sony APSC units I shall almost certainly get one of the A6000 series plus zoom lenses to cover from about 10mm (15mm FF equivalent) to about 200mm FF equivalent. I’m not too bothered about super fast apertures etc but I am concerned that they are optically good. I presume I’d be able to get an adapter of some sort so I can use my old “105mm Micro Nikkor (D)” lens and some of my old Nikon Ai lenses (all with manual apertures) and of coarse manual focussing.

George.

DPR has an A9II review...

"The Sony Alpha 9 Mark II comes with the best autofocus system we've seen. It's compact yet has a good-sized grip, produces great Raw and JPEG files, offers excellent battery life and solid video capture. That said, we do think its video capabilities and rear screen could be updated, and of course, this is a sports camera, so those looking for maximum resolution or dynamic range are barking up the wrong tree. But the a9 II meets and, in some cases, exceeds the capabilities of its peers and makes for a truly compelling value for sports and action photographers."

That's nice :D
Stop it, you're not helping my GAS ;)

I know there are dedicated threads for these cameras but if its alright with you Sony users I should like to start posting a few snaps from these RX cameras on this thread. As this thread title says "& Anything Else Welcome Mega Thread" I presume that it will be alright but I Just thought I'd check first as the last thing I'd want to do is upset people.

George.
Hi George, sorry to hear you've been having health problems, I hope you're back to full fitness?

No problem posting RX images as far I'm concerned (y)

Two more A7 Mk III + 24-105mm, on the pier image I put it through C1 and AP then finished in one of my Topaz plugins just to get it out of focus a bit to give an old look.

The Reflection by Dave, on Flickr

Brighton Palace Pier by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:

George.

A Sony RX will fit right in here George.

Some people who post here have or have had them and several have an interest. So post away! :D Impressions and views about the kit and pictures are very very welcome! :D

With regards to the Sony APSC units I shall almost certainly get one of the A6000 series plus zoom lenses to cover from about 10mm (15mm FF equivalent) to about 200mm FF equivalent. I’m not too bothered about super fast apertures etc but I am concerned that they are optically good. I presume I’d be able to get an adapter of some sort so I can use my old “105mm Micro Nikkor (D)” lens and some of my old Nikon Ai lenses (all with manual apertures) and of coarse manual focussing.

George.

I keep fancying one of these and I always look at them when they pop up for sale but as I have two RF style MFT cameras and quite a few MFT lenses I always resist buying.

I do still look though :D

@Fuji Dave I really like your 'on the edge' image
@ancient_mariner cracking shot!
I have a new 16-35 F4 lens that I can't wait to try out, but I'm not due out until next week. I have put it on the camera and zoomed out to 16mm and it scared the living daylights out of me with how wide it was
It's going to be a learning experience for me....

Last edited:
85mm Sony f/1.8 or Viltrox guys ?

I tried the Viltrox on Fuji and it was excellent for portraits, less so on moving subjects but I suspect that was probably 50/50 the lens and the cameras AF.

85mm Sony f/1.8 or Viltrox guys ?

I tried the Viltrox on Fuji and it was excellent for portraits, less so on moving subjects but I suspect that was probably 50/50 the lens and the cameras AF.

Not used the viltrox but the size and speed of the Sony are impressive. Very very quick on your a73.

Back