The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So I finally took the zony 16-35 out for its first outing. It was an absolute car crash. I was completely lost, it really isn't a natural field of view for me, the widest I have ever gone is 45mm and it shows, I had no idea how to frame stuff and it is all so damn far away. This will be my challenge for the next few months and it will be a tough one

You'll get there, maybe you just need to spend time changing position and distance and remember to really see what's in the VF as what you see is what you get.

Wide lenses may be some of the most difficult to use well but they can IMO also give you some dramatic looking results.

There’s some half decent YouTube vids on 16-35 inspiration, i found useful.

Quick question if I can throw it in here... hard searching the 1700 pages...just shows how Sony has taken off.
Imminently about to order the a7r iv, and looking for a decent l bracket, the ‘small rig’ seems to get decent reviews, but it looks pretty bulky on the bottom.Trying to keep size minimal when In the bag, so wondered if any one had any recommendations?

Last edited:
I got the last of the old Nikon lenses I bought today. They're both E series lenses, a 28mm f2.8 to replace the one that was soft down the left hand side and a 35mm f2.5.

Any marks are just dust. Both these lenses look like they've had a very easy life, if they've been used at all. The 35mm came without a rear cap and fortunately a mark which was visible on line was just some sticky residue from the Passed sticker. I thought it was a bit of a bargain at £55 delivered.

qfdqoSi.jpg

dOYqVrk.jpg

js9YlVC.jpg

Wg56eRG.jpg

These are a bit smaller and lighter than the all metal and glass pre ai primes I have but I just wanted to give them a try. Build wise they don't feel anywhere near the quality of the older lenses but optically they seem fine. They're more than sharp enough across much of the frame and only really suffer in the extreme corners. There's vignetting at wider apertures but not too much and it's gone at f4.

So that's me done now. There's nothing else I want :D

There’s some half decent YouTube vids on 16-35 inspiration, i found useful.

Quick question if I can throw it in here... hard searching the 1700 pages...just shows how Sony has taken off.
Imminently about to order the a7r iv, and looking for a decent l bracket, the ‘small rig’ seems to get decent reviews, but it looks pretty bulky on the bottom.Trying to keep size minimal when In the bag, so wondered if any one had any recommendations?
I got a 3 legged thing one free with my tripod. Seems really well made but my only gripe is that the side part doesn’t sit flush with the camera as it fouls with the camera strap lug. I’m not sure if they’re all like this or whether you can get one with a shorter side section?

I read somewhere about the 3 legged thing Ellie works well, but there is a strange cut out in it to give access to camera sockets, which looks odd like a weak spot.

I read somewhere about the 3 legged thing Ellie works well, but there is a strange cut out in it to give access to camera sockets, which looks odd like a weak spot.
I'm sure it'll be fine otherwise we'd have heard a lot of complaints by now (y)

The one I got free is this one, really well made but as I said the side section is a bit too long and fouls the camera lug. Would be fine with a battery pack though.

I know yours is a newer camera, but on my A7 I use a cheap £8 Chinese one and have done for several years. No issues. My boy also has a cheap one on his A6000.
I'm sure it'll be fine otherwise we'd have heard a lot of complaints by now (y)

The one I got free is this one, really well made but as I said the side section is a bit too long and fouls the camera lug. Would be fine with a battery pack though.

Cheers - just realised that sunwayfoto also make one which looks good at the same roughly the same price with a pretty good rep for that sort of thing. Not even decided on lenses yet... sooo many decisions!

Venus Optics Laowa 11mm f4.5 on the rumour site...

Sometimes I wonder how or why.

It always intrigues me to know how or why certain snaps are selected to go into Flickr Explore. Absolutely ages had past since I had a snap in there and then all of a sudden I've had six during this month of August. Todays selection is of a snap I took of one of the old boats on Dungeness Beach (it will eventually find its way onto this thread) and is perhaps one of mine that I would consider reasonably worthy of being included but certainly not all of them by a long chalk. It is however the first snap that I have had on Explore that has been shot on a "SONY" camera, albiet only my RX10M4. :) :)

George.

Sometimes I wonder how or why.

It always intrigues me to know how or why certain snaps are selected to go into Flickr Explore. Absolutely ages had past since I had a snap in there and then all of a sudden I've had six during this month of August. Todays selection is of a snap I took of one of the old boats on Dungeness Beach (it will eventually find its way onto this thread) and is perhaps one of mine that I would consider reasonably worthy of being included but certainly not all of them by a long chalk. It is however the first snap that I have had on Explore that has been shot on a "SONY" camera, albiet only my RX10M4. :) :)

George.

nice one George. I’ve seen it on your Flickr

The "Nikon" Guy has finally put all of his Nikon gear up for sale... :D The Sony has converted him.. finally! lol :D

Well with the help of members on this thread yesterday I have decided as to what my Sony future will be.

Because I was a little concerned about the optical quality of the APSC lenses I have purchased an A6600 APSC as my initial Sony CSC unit plus the 10-18mm F4 lens. I have also purchased three more zoom lenses in the FF size, these being the Tamron 17-28mm F2.8, the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8, and the Tamron 70-180mm F2.8. Having had a look at several reports/reviews on these lenses that are very encouraging I decided that was the way to go for now.

I shall be venturing into the FF system as well at a later date hence the three Tammy's will also suffice for that system too. Those four lenses will give me all the focal lengths I need on APSC ie from 15mm (FF equiv') up to about 270mm (FF equiv') and with the exception of the longer end roughly the same on FF ie 17mm up to 180mm.

For things like macro I shall obtain an adapter for my 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) lens which is how I've done things on my Fuji-X system. If I can't get an adapter I shall make one myself which I've done before without any problems. That will also enable me to use my old Nikkor Ai primes on the Sony system for the time being.

As for the weight (not my body weight) which was a concern, I have purchased a light weight foldable trolley and a couple of Tamrac bags (one each for the Sony & Fuji systems) that have a slip over thing on the back enabling me to attach the bags to the foldable trolley. I'll obviously need to get some spare batteries etc and a charger or two that I'll get ordered today.

Many thanks for all the help given to me over the past day or so its very much appreciated.,

George.

Last edited:
Well with the help of members on this thread yesterday I have decided as to what my Sony future will be.

Because I was a little concerned about the optical quality of the APSC lenses I have purchased an A6600 APSC as my initial Sony unit plus the 10-18mm F4 lens. I have also purchased three more zoom lenses in the FF size, these being the Tamron 17-28mm F2.8, the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8, and the Tamron 70-180mm F2.8. Having had a look at several reports/reviews on these lenses that are very encouraging I decided that was the way to go for now.

I shall be venturing into the FF system as well at a later date hence the three Tammy's will also suffice for that system too. Those four lenses will give me all the focal lengths I need on APSC ie from 15mm (FF equiv') up to about 270mm (FF equiv') and with the exception of the longer end roughly the same on FF ie 17mm up to 180mm.

For things like macro I shall obtain an adapter for my 105mm Micro Nikkor (D) lens which is how I've done things on my Fuji-X system. If I can't get an adapter I shall make one myself which I've done before without any problems. That will also enable me to use my old Nikkor Ai primes on the Sony system for the time being.

As for the weight (not my body weight) which was a concern, I have purchased a light weight foldable trolley and a couple of Tamrac bags (one each for the Sony & Fuji systems) that have a slip over thing on the back enabling me to attach the bags to the foldable trolley. I'll obviously need to get some spare batteries etc and a charger or two that I'll get ordered today.

Many thanks for all the help given to me over the past day or so its very much appreciated.,

George.

how come you have moved to Sony?
All three tamron lenses are great. Currently owning the tamron 70-180mm, brilliant lens and my fav of its kind!

btw, I also have a nikon G dumb adapter in sales somewhere lol
Used it with the nikkor AF-S 60mm macro.

how come you have moved to Sony?
All three tamron lenses are great. Currently owning the tamron 70-180mm, brilliant lens and my fav of its kind!

btw, I also have a nikon G dumb adapter in sales somewhere lol
Used it with the nikkor AF-S 60mm macro.

I haven't moved completely to Sony as I'll still be using my Fuji-X system from time to time. I needed to purchase something light to carry last year because of surgery etc so I obtained a couple of Sony RX units which I love and decided to start posting a few snaps from them in this thread. I've been so impressed with the quality that other Sony members are getting that I decided to give it a go and try and post a few snaps of better quality on this thread.

The other reason is, I have started to do quite a bit of video with my RX units and have purchased a Gimbal to use with the RX100M6 which can also be used with the A6600 but is not compatible with the Fuji units.

George.

George.

I can't see you having any problem finding an adapter but the problem may be choosing between the many that are available.

I have Novoflex adaptors for my Minolta, Olympus and Canon lenses but I just bought a much cheaper K&F Concept adaptor for Nikon and it seems to work fine.

Will watch out for your thoughts on the A6600 and pictures.

I can't see you having any problem finding an adapter but the problem may be choosing between the many that are available.

I have Novoflex adaptors for my Minolta, Olympus and Canon lenses but I just bought a much cheaper K&F Concept adaptor for Nikon and it seems to work fine.

Will watch out for your thoughts on the A6600 and pictures.

Thanks for that Alan.

If I can't locate an adapter to my liking I really don't mind making one myself.

I've made many camera parts over the years such as rigs to use full technical movements with large format lenses on APSC cameras and adapters to use Nikon flash units with pretty much all facilities on Fuji-X cameras. So an adapter to take Nikon manual lenses on a Sony should be relatively easy to make.

George.

Last edited:
Well, received the eBay sourced Samyang 14mm F2.8 MF today and it's badly decentrered on the left hand side.

So that's going back.

Bugger.

Well, received the eBay sourced Samyang 14mm F2.8 MF today and it's badly decentrered on the left hand side.

So that's going back.

Bugger.
For the past couple of years @f/2.8 has taken a bit of stick now and again for his opinions on Samyang lenses. But these reports of decentred lenses are far too common and maybe show that he's been right all along.

Think the trick is when you want to buy one, buy five and keep the good one out of those.

Last edited:
For the past couple of years @f2.8 has taken a bit of stick now and again for his opinions on Samyang lenses. But these reports of decentred lenses are far too common and maybe show that he's been right all along.

Think the trick is when you want to buy one, buy five and keep the good one out of those.

Yes, I'll be buying new in future if I buy another Samyang.

Or from here as test shots can be provided to prove it's a good copy.

So my new FE 135mm f1.8 GM arrived this morning, so it had to go on the A7R Mk4 and Susie wanted another image. This lens does remind me of my old XF16-55mm, smalling but a little heavy but I will manage, I just have to get some me time to really start with it.

The Looker by Dave, on Flickr

Because I was a little concerned about the optical quality of the APSC lenses I have purchased an A6600 APSC as my initial Sony unit plus the 10-18mm F4 lens. I have also purchased three more zoom lenses in the FF size, these being the Tamron 17-28mm F2.8, the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8, and the Tamron 70-180mm F2.8. Having had a look at several reports/reviews on these lenses that are very encouraging I decided that was the way to go for now.

George.
For what it's worth, I have heard that the excellent little 10-18 f4 (which I have recently bought for my A6000) is fine on the FF Sonys past about 12mm.

So my new FE 135mm f1.8 GM arrived this morning...

So what is the complete Sony kit list now Dave?

Mine...
A7.
Sony 20, 35, 55, 85mm f1.8's, 35mm f2.8 and 28-70mm f3.5-5.6.
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.

So what is the complete Sony kit list now Dave?

Mine...
A7.
Sony 20, 35, 55, 85mm f1.8's, 35mm f2.8 and 28-70mm f3.5-5.6.
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.

Once Wex get back to me with my trade, it will be one more lens as I`d like the Sony 90mm macro.

For what it's worth, I have heard that the excellent little 10-18 f4 (which I have recently bought for my A6000) is fine on the FF Sonys past about 12mm.

Stephen, that's very interesting thank you, I hadn't even considered using it on FF. I didn't even realise until late yesterday that the two formats with regards to lens throat size/mounting were the same. I haven't experienced that since my Nikon days.

George.

Stephen, that's very interesting thank you, I hadn't even considered using it on FF. I didn't even realise until late yesterday that the two formats with regards to lens throat size/mounting were the same. I haven't experienced that since my Nikon days.

George.
It seems to becoming the trend, as the Nikon Z ff is the same mount as the Nikon Z50 apsc.

That’s interesting..

@snerkler @Fuji Dave and any other owners of A7riv

Could you possibly tell me if you’re able to select a focus point and focus using a camera app. Sadly it can’t be done with my A7riii.
Any app will do.
Apparently Sony have crippled this feature themselves.
I tried camote or whatever it’s called as well as the Sony App today and neither would move the focus point. That being said I didn’t have any time to play about with settings and it wasn’t even focussing (half shutter kind of thing). I’ll have longer to try it over the weekend (y)

Back