The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I tried camote or whatever it’s called as well as the Sony App today and neither would move the focus point. That being said I didn’t have any time to play about with settings and it wasn’t even focussing (half shutter kind of thing). I’ll have longer to try it over the weekend (y)

Thanks Toby. Appreciate your efforts.

So what is the complete Sony kit list now Dave?

Mine...
A7.
Sony 20, 35, 55, 85mm f1.8's, 35mm f2.8 and 28-70mm f3.5-5.6.
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.

Only Sony kit I have is.

Sony A7 MK III
Sony A7R MK IV
Sony RX100 MK III Had for ages.

Lenses

Sony FE 85mm f1.8
Song FE 24-105mm f4 G OSS
Sony FE 55mm f1.8 ZA Zeiss
Sony FE 135mm f1.8 G Master
Sony FE 35mm f1.8
Sony FE 28-70mm kit lens

Thanks Toby. Appreciate your efforts.
Tried it again, it will focus now (I had focus with shutter off) but it won’t change the AF point on either app. Seems odd that Sony disabled it, although they have taken away other nice features in the past as well such as sweep panorama. Also the iphone no longer supports 3D Touch so you can’t do the half shutter press before taking a picture anymore :rolleyes:

Tried it again, it will focus now (I had focus with shutter off) but it won’t change the AF point on either app. Seems odd that Sony disabled it, although they have taken away other nice features in the past as well such as sweep panorama. Also the iphone no longer supports 3D Touch so you can’t do the half shutter press before taking a picture anymore :rolleyes:

Thanks mate. Pretty much what I was expecting...Sony fail..

Still might get the R4 though..

You forgot the 134 vintage manual lenses..... hehe

I only listed e mount kit. The film era lenses are my safety net for if I ever change systems as unlike the Sony and Voigtlander native series lenses I can carry on using them on just about anything as long as I can find an adaptor.

On the subject of manual lenses. I like my new 28mm. I had three already so maybe it's just the newness of this one that's got me liking the 28mm look.

The rumor site guy says he'll tell us the name of the new Sony FF camera at 15:00. He also says that this will be the entry level camera of a new line but priced above the A7III.

It'll be interesting to see what it is. If this is indeed a small RF form camera like the A6xxx line I wonder if people will like using bigger lenses on smaller bodies? I have a MFT GX80 which is a small RF form camera and I think it handles ok with my 100-400mm on it but some may not be happy with a large lens and small body combination.

Looking at what compact lenses are available what is there? The 35mm f2.8 obviously. If any other lenses are compact enough to handle well on a smaller body is down to individual preference I suppose. Some compact 3rd party lenses exist, the Sigma 45mm f2.8 and the 35mm f2.8 Samyang spring to mind and there must be others.

As I've said before, I could see myself buying a small RF style FF camera but only if it has an evf. I'm just not interested in any evf-less camera at any price.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone maybe able to help advise me. I am looking to get into the Sony system and sell my Canon 5dmk3 and L lenses etc. There is only one thing holding me back really and that is finding a reliable answer/information as to weather the A7iii can do action/sports/wildlife etc, where fast and accurate af tracking is required. I am thinking the long lenses I would get for these subjects would be the 200-600 G.

Does anyone here use this combo or shoot sports on their A7iii? I would love to hear your experiences etc.

Also, and not wanting to start a debate about going "grey" or not, but I have noticed significant savings by going that way, have any of you guys got your kit from Efin/Panamoz etc and have you been happy with the service/savings?

TIA.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone maybe able to help advise me. I am looking to get into the Sony system and sell my Canon 5dmk3 and L lenses etc. There is only one thing holding me back really and that is finding a reliable answer/information as to weather the A7iii can do action/sports/wildlife etc, where fast and accurate af tracking is required. I am thinking the long lenses I would get for these subjects would be the 200-600 G.

Does anyone here use this combo or shoot sports on their A7iii? I would love to hear your experiences etc.

Also, and not wanting to start a debate about going "grey" or not, but I have noticed significant savings by going that way, have any of you guys got your kit from Efin/Panamoz etc and have you been happy with the service/savings?

TIA.

I think the A7iii does fast sports/action just fine, a little behind the newer bodies regarding tracking speed/reliability (Obv A9/A9ii wipe the floor with everything else in this regard). I've bought bodies from Panamoz and Lenses from E-Infin. No issues with either, but have never had to return anything or have warranty repairs.

Hi All,

TIA.

Never shot sports on my Sony. But I’ve bought a LOT of gear Grey. Panamoz and e-infinity. Never had a problem. Sent some gear back because I changed my mind. Returned a faulty camera to Panamoz. Super service and no questions asked.

Hi All,

TIA.

it’s much better than your Canon in tracking and sports that’s for sure, I’ve had two 5D3 (and mk2 and mk4), the A7III has a better AF than all the 5Ds’ that I’ve had.

Hi All,

TIA.
Panamoz are excellent. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that the A7III is not capable of sports and action etc, in fact the opposite in that it’s very good. I would be surprised if it’s not better than the 5D3.

Last edited:
WoWzA.

The rumor site reports that good contacts say the new camera will be called the A7c (C for compact) and there'll be a new range of compact lenses to go with it. I doubt I'll buy an A7c but I might be interested in compact lenses and if these lenses can be used on A7/A9 bodies (and why not?) they could give us a wider choice.

Finally a small FF body.

Love the colouring ... can I ask how and with what did you process this? It is a style i have been noticing i like a lot at the moment.

I didn't process it, other than a smalll crop that's how it was S.O.O.C.

Just used the 85GM with a C.P.L filter shot into the sun.

Last edited:
Back