The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Shame you can't go for that one as it looks to be at a good price.

I'm not up on Sony APS-C lenses so I had a quick Google and there don't seem to be many used ones about, I certainly couldn't find another at that price.
You wont, you can get more selling it to a photographic shop

interesting way to look at birding (certainly a valid one too).
the way i was thinking about it is UK birds are also smaller in general. not really a lot of big birds past the swans, geese and may be herons. so cropping really helps.

Yes the cropping is very good on the ar4 and i do miss that hopefully the next a9 will have 35 /40 mp that would be ideal for me :)

Rob.

Yes the cropping is very good on the ar4 and i do miss that hopefully the next a9 will have 35 /40 mp that would be ideal for me :)

Rob.
I would rather see this than them try and up the frame rate. 40mp at 20fps would more than enough for anyone (y)

Rob.
I would rather see this than them try and up the frame rate. 40mp at 20fps would more than enough for anyone (y)

2nd-ed on both accounts. tbh I don't need/want 20fps. I am perfectly happy with 10fps if they can do that without blackout.
8fps @ 42mp/61mp is one of the downsides IMO. even on 256GB cards I barely get a days of shooting on one pair of cards when shooting wildlife.

Last edited:
This isn't Sony related but I found it interesting.

Zack Arias talks about pictures of predominantly scantily clad young women and if it's fashion or something else.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUxshaoyZrw

Fstoppers here... "If All You Shoot Is Half-Naked Women, Can You Call Yourself a Good Photographer?"

Photographs of strangers hold little interest for me so what do I know but looking at the gallery in Zack's video I can see the point that they mostly look the same, mostly pictures of pretty young things revealing flesh. I can certainly appreciate beauty but as I said pictures of strangers hold little interest for me and if all they're doing is standing in front of a plain background pointing flesh at the camera my interests wains very quickly.

Anyway. If anyone is interested it's there to be watched / read.

Last edited:
2nd-ed on both accounts. tbh I don't need/want 20fps. I am perfectly happy with 10fps if they can do that without blackout.
8fps @ 42mp/61mp is one of the downsides IMO. even on 256GB cards I barely get a days of shooting on one pair of cards when shooting wildlife.
I use to think 20fps was crazy 8 to 10 was enough but since getting the a9mkII it is always set on 20fps I find i can gently press the shutter and take just 3 shots but know if there is action a full press will give me a lot more shots say when birds suddenly fight or land / take off or if one comes out the blue it just gives a lot more frames of those rare chances to get a nice shot I think 15 fps would be enough for this but you can't set that .

Rob.

I use to think 20fps was crazy 8 to 10 was enough but since getting the a9mkII it is always set on 20fps I find i can gently press the shutter and take just 3 shots but know if there is action a full press will give me a lot more shots say when birds suddenly fight or land / take off or if one comes out the blue it just gives a lot more frames of those rare chances to get a nice shot I think 15 fps would be enough for this but you can't set that .

Rob.
I can see the need for higher frame rates with BIF tbh, and whilst I give it a go now and again it’s not something I’m particularly interested in and I find 10fps plenty for me. I used to shoot at higher frame rates but I just got sick of sifting through multiple versions of almost identical shots. But as said, for keen birders I can see the benefit. The 60fps of the Olympus system may be a bit overkill though ;)

"Sony’s goal with the A7c is to attract new customers particularly from the DSLR and APS-C world."

They may get some A6xxx users to buy an A7c and they may get some buyers who simply must have an RF style or small camera but generally I think that if they think the A7c will have people ditching DSLR's and APS-C and flocking to buy an A7C in the region of £2k they're on crack.

I'm really undecided about my next body purchase - I keep hovering over the buy button, closing the browser and putting my credit card away! I wish I had Fujidave's conviction haha

I currently own:
an X-T3 and a few lenses
an a7ii + Sigma Art 35 1.4, Sony 85.18 and 135GM

I'm mostly using X-T3 for street photography and the sony for everything else, but I want to use one system. I like to use the electronic shutter on the XT-3 - I prefer being discrete haha So I guess that's really my main requirement.
I'm using A7ii for the odd landscape, architectural, woodland shot - basically everything else. I dont shoot wildlife or anything fast moving.

I'm not really up to date on the tech, would any of the a7iii a7riii or Riv meet my needs, are the two Rs overkill?

I'm really undecided about my next body purchase - I keep hovering over the buy button, closing the browser and putting my credit card away! I wish I had Fujidave's conviction haha

I currently own:
an X-T3 and a few lenses

I'm mostly using X-T3 for street photography and the sony for everything else, but I want to use one system. I like to use the electronic shutter on the XT-3 - I prefer being discrete haha So I guess that's really my main requirement.
I'm using A7ii for the odd landscape, architectural, woodland shot - basically everything else. I dont shoot wildlife or anything fast moving.

I'm not really up to date on the tech, would any of the a7iii a7riii or Riv meet my needs, are the two Rs overkill?

How about the new A7c with some small lenses for street. All the bodies after A7ii have silent shutter.

I currently own:
an X-T3 and a few lenses

It‘s not Fujidave’s conviction you need it’s his healthy looking bank balance you need (maybe not looking so healthy this week mind).

I currently own:
an X-T3 and a few lenses

As mentioned all recent Sony A7’s have electronic shutter, however all are prone to rolling shutter. Whether this is any different to the X-T3 I’m not sure as I don’t know the readout time of the X-T3. To negate any rolling shutter issue you’d need the A9’s/A9-II.

Size wise the A7III is slightly smaller than the X-T3, but the EVF isn’t as nice. A7RIII and IV EVF’s are better but as you say may be a bit overkill in terms of MP. That being said you can use them with smaller resolution files, at least you can on the Iv

well that just throws another spanner into the works. I do like the look of it and you're right, in terms of street photography the size would be ideal. In terms of spec, is it closely matched to the 7iii?

Its basically the same with real time tracking (its really awesome) and articulated screen which is nice.

Looking at a review of the 7c on youtube, it looks a great option, though I am averse to being an early adopter for a new product line. I think I might wait for the long term real life reviews first

not really a new product line per se. the body form factor has been around for a long time for APS-C. they just put a FF sensor in it :D

I Just did a little test 100% crops first FE 200/600 second FE 600F4 1/3200 sec. f/6.3 600mm iso 500 and 1/3200 sec. f/4 600mm iso 200 i tried to balance the exposure in affinity then run them through Topaz

I then tried the 1.4tc and you get about the same difference, for the cost the 200/600 does very well -
top full frame oh it is a lot sharper uploading has made it soft
Rob.

600 full.jpg

200-600.JPG

600.JPG

I've not posted for a while as not really been out with the camera for a several months. I was recently away in the lakes. I've been wanting to capture a Red in this pose for while. The way they hang onto the tree trunk with their rear legs is amazing.

Red Squirrel - 1 by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Red Squirrel - 2 by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Red Squirrel - 3 by Rob Cain, on Flickr

I'm still getting to grips with the A9, mainly because I've not used it that much since I got it. Still lots to learn. These were all high ISO (5000-6400). I'm finding I'm shooting higher ISO but I guess thats expected moving to a f5.6 lens after using faster f4/f2.8 lenses.

The first image is a portrait crop from a landscape orientation image. The others have little cropping.

Last edited:
I Just did a little test 100% crops first FE 200/600 second FE 600F4 1/3200 sec. f/6.3 600mm iso 500 and 1/3200 sec. f/4 600mm iso 200 i tried to balance the exposure in affinity then run them through Topaz

I then tried the 1.4tc and you get about the same difference, for the cost the 200/600 does very well -
top full frame oh it is a lot sharper uploading has made it soft
Rob.

View attachment 293214

View attachment 293212

View attachment 293213
The bottom (600mm f4) has quite a bit more contrast and saturation to it. Have they had the same processing as the 600mm f4 seems over sharpened to me/has sharpening artefacts? Maybe it’s just this site ruining the IQ again?

I only have the A7III A7RIV A9 and the A6400, it does help when I sell my Fuji lot and some other things then get a scratch card :)

On a good note, I don`t think I could get all my kit in my Signature.

I only have the A7III A7RIV A9 and the A6400, it does help when I sell my Fuji lot and some other things then get a scratch card :)

I guess it's about time to get your username changed ;)

The bottom (600mm f4) has quite a bit more contrast and saturation to it. Have they had the same processing as the 600mm f4 seems over sharpened to me/has sharpening artefacts? Maybe it’s just this site ruining the IQ again?

I noticed a while ago with the images on here, as they are always better on flickr.

Looking at a review of the 7c on youtube, it looks a great option, though I am averse to being an early adopter for a new product line. I think I might wait for the long term real life reviews first

I'm sitting on the fence too :)

I don't know if I'm overly keen on the flippy screen to be honest. It's very rare I'm shooting in portrait orientation low to the ground. Plus I use an L Bracket too so it needs to work alongside that..

Are you going to sell the A7III now you've bought the A9, I can't see the need for the A7III now?

Back