The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

its definitely not ideal and I am not the most dexterous person either. but I have used A6000 for a year or so and I was happy with it. funnily enough what annoyed me more about A6000 was the lack of the level gauge in the EVF (they fixed this in later A6XXX). that annoyed me so much that I decided to go back to A7 series lol.
So even though the dial isn't a deal breaker for me I can see why it is for you.

I often have to straighten A7 pictures but strangely I seem to be able to hold my Panasonic RF style cameras level without thinking about it. I don't know why.

I am I suppose very dextrous, I've fixed stuff all my life and often fiddly stuff but the action of moving my thumb back down and around just doesn't come naturally to me. Maybe the smartphone generation will be fine with it but I hardly ever use them. I used the back wheel on my A7 in the early days, maybe for ISO, and I tried using it again recently to see if I could live with an A7c but I still just don't like it. About a third of my pictures seem to be in manual so I do need to be able to adjust both aperture and shutter speeds and although a minimum shutter speed in aperture (the A7 doesn't have it) will reduce the need to use the back dial I'd still have to use it occasionally as not every subject in low light suits the same minimum shutter speed in aperture priority.

For me the A7c looks like an expensive but still entry level camera to be used mostly in green square mode or aperture in good light. I would say I'll wait for a more old style photography focused MK2 or 3 with a second control dial but I seriously doubt Sony will ever put a second one on it, as per the A6xxx series, they don't seem to think people want one. I'll just give up and get an A7III or IV when my A7 dies, or of course switch systems if Canikon make a nice RF style one.

Last edited:
Just got a quote from MPB for all my fuji gear :) Collection towards the end of next week, if I get on with the a7ii and Samyang 35mm - then I'll finally move to one system because i'll have my compact setup. Then I'll have some extra monies for a new body once I decide what to do

Seems drastic. I blame the likes of love Island. We should all just be happy in ourselves.

Back on cameras. I often think about selling my MFT kit, two cameras and 8 lenses (I think) but I don't need the little money I'd get for it and I do still use it sometimes. I think having two systems can work if they compliment each other and both get used occasionally.

Last edited:
Just got a quote from MPB for all my fuji gear :) Collection towards the end of next week, if I get on with the a7ii and Samyang 35mm - then I'll finally move to one system because i'll have my compact setup. Then I'll have some extra monies for a new body once I decide what to do
What are they like with buying used gear. I tried wex but they went on about my lens having a stiff zoom ring, I thought you better not have broken it asked for it back and it's fine. So kind of gave up on the idea of selling my lenses.

I know I've said this before but do people really need f1.2 lenses rather than f1.4?

I'm guilty of gear lust myself at times but good AF f1.2 50 and 85mm's are going to be bigger, heavier and more expensive than f1.4's which are big, heavy and expensive enough as it is.

What are they like with buying used gear. I tried wex but they went on about my lens having a stiff zoom ring, I thought you better not have broken it asked for it back and it's fine. So kind of gave up on the idea of selling my lenses.
I've sold a few things before, probably a couple of years ago now... everything went through smoothly and hassle free. I'd probably get more £ if I sold in the classifieds, but i'm lazy

I've sold a few things before, probably a couple of years ago now... everything went through smoothly and hassle free. I'd probably get more £ if I sold in the classifieds, but i'm lazy
Same I can't be arsed with the faff of selling in here.
I just want rid of my 24-70f4 and my 16-35f4.

Just get a used GM, because if they did, the price will be where a used GM be.
But the GM is big and heavy which I don't want (y)
I know I've said this before but do people really need f1.2 lenses rather than f1.4?

I'm guilty of gear lust myself at times but good AF f1.2 50 and 85mm's are going to be bigger, heavier and more expensive than f1.4's which are big, heavy and expensive enough as it is.
I don't see what real world advantages the f1.2 give over the f1.4 tbh. I don't think the extra light gathering is going to be advantageous in most situations, and I'm not sure I'd see a difference in DOF between f1.2 and f1.4, although I've never shot with an f1.2 lens so can't say for sure.

I have sold lots to them and it's hassle free just make sure the condition you say is right they do check for dust in the lens and that will mark it down .

Rob.

I've found Wex, MPB, Harrisons and Camera Jungle all hassle free and honour their quote, as long as you're honest about the condition. Wex have even offered more when they've got the equipment as it has been in better condition than they thought.

Few more holiday snaps from the Wall of Corn...

Really enjoying the detail and sharpness you can get with the A7R3 and 28-200 Tamron - although better on flickr.

50370780108_38ea9a0f1e_k.jpg

50371484486_dc1df3ef76_k.jpg

50371485346_d79fa75917_c.jpg

Few more holiday snaps from the Wall of Corn...

Really enjoying the detail and sharpness you can get with the A7R3 and 28-200 Tamron - although better on flickr.

50370780108_38ea9a0f1e_k.jpg

50371484486_dc1df3ef76_k.jpg

50371485346_d79fa75917_c.jpg

what is your travel setup?
just the tamron 28-200mm or do you take other lenses?

even in the shots above I must say the sharpness looks good.

what is your travel setup?
just the tamron 28-200mm or do you take other lenses?

even in the shots above I must say the sharpness looks good.

I just took the 28-200 and the Samyang 18mm f2.8 when I wanted properly wide. Didn't use the 18mm as much as I thought though.

Mmmm..that Sammy 45 looks like a good option for A7C..

A7C looks like it can be had for £1,769 which isn't too bad see what other sites have it for in the new year.

But the GM is big and heavy which I don't want (y)

I don't see what real world advantages the f1.2 give over the f1.4 tbh. I don't think the extra light gathering is going to be advantageous in most situations, and I'm not sure I'd see a difference in DOF between f1.2 and f1.4, although I've never shot with an f1.2 lens so can't say for sure.

I don’t think Sigma will produce a small and light 70-200 It will be high end ART IMO and be similar to the GM (I might be proved wrong)

Wish they do a 50 and 85 f/1.2 !

I was hoping for a 85mm f1.2 after they did that 35mm f1.2. I guess the market for it isn't as large as it is for a smaller better priced f1.4 version (or at least in sigma's view).

you are in luck, samyang just released a simulator - https://www.samyanglens.com/en/product/simulator/lens.php
just pick a 85mm f1.4 and move the aperture slider to f1.2 to see the difference (or lack there of)

I don’t think Sigma will produce a small and light 70-200 It will be high end ART IMO and be similar to the GM (I might be proved wrong)
I don't think so either, but I can dream ;)
I was hoping for a 85mm f1.2 after they did that 35mm f1.2. I guess the market for it isn't as large as it is for a smaller better priced f1.4 version (or at least in sigma's view).

you are in luck, samyang just released a simulator - https://www.samyanglens.com/en/product/simulator/lens.php
just pick a 85mm f1.4 and move the aperture slider to f1.2 to see the difference (or lack there of)
It's not working for me, just has a plain white background regardless of which option I choose.

This is the recommended sensor cleaning kit for Sony full frame.

View attachment 293321
I bought that one but not used it yet, my sensor is still mint just thought it would be a good idea to have one just in case as so many people seem to mention Sony sensors get dirty easily, never had an issue with all my Fuji gear. I only paid £19.99 3 weeks ago.

I bought that one but not used it yet, my sensor is still mint just thought it would be a good idea to have one just in case as so many people seem to mention Sony sensors get dirty easily, never had an issue with all my Fuji gear. I only paid £19.99 3 weeks ago.

Seems to fluctuate in price a lot. I paid under £20 as well.

I tried again last night to get over my A7c back wheel phobia. I tried my A7 using the back wheel and not and also my RF style Panasonic GX9 with it's two control dials and dedicated exposure comp dial. It's just a no contest for me, I absolutely prefer using the top of camera dials rather than the back wheel.

I still just don't know what Sony are thinking leaving the front dial off but as always good luck to these who can live with the handling.

Last edited:
you selling an A7c too? ;)

:ROFLMAO:

That photo was on the rumour site.

I have too many lenses, I was hunting for the box for your new 45mm and found an 85mm f/1.8 in a box that I didn't even know we had. For some reason I thought I had sold it ages ago but as it turned out I some how ended up with 2 of them and only sold one. :ROFLMAO:

4.jpg

Think I might sell the Siggy 35 and the Sony FE85 as well I haven't used the Siggy in ages and the 85mm has been sitting in a box in my storage cupboard for god knows how long. Long enough for me to have forgotten it was there anyway. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back