The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Tamron 17-28mm from what I have seen is very good sharpness wise. You won't really be missing much in those terms.

What you miss is the extra range, better coma for astrophotography and overall rendering.
Yeah I think the center sharpness will be pretty similar. I do plan on taking on some astrophotography next Milky Way season which is another big sway. Just have to tell the other half it costs the same as the tamron

The other thing is every mm counts at the wide end. I regret getting my 16-35 it's just not wide enough, want rid and maybe a 14mm.

First shot with my A7R, which arrived a few hours ago. Using the Sony 10-18mm in APSC mode. When it's in FF mode, there is vignetting up to 12mm (as long as you leave the hood off) and again from 17.5mm. Very pleased so far.

St Alkelda's, Giggleswick by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

I was going to pull the pin buying the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN from Wex on the interest free credit but the interest free is only on the L-mount and not on the E-mount, odd :(

I was going to pull the pin buying the Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG DN from Wex on the interest free credit but the interest free is only on the L-mount and not on the E-mount, odd :(

l-mount ones barely sell, not a problem for selling e-mount lenses.

Probably a website error. Message them on the online chat.

A few pics from a camping trip on the Gower:

i-zCQDpw2-L.jpg

Not particularly amazing aside from this was handheld for 1/2 second - the A7RII's IBIS still holds up!

i-M7rxG8D-L.jpg

My first Milky Way shot, ruined by drizzle on the lens and a slightly too longer exposure.
Taken with a "vintage" Sigma 24mm f/2.8 - no lens hood...

i-Pvn2zdN-L.jpg

Almost great, didn't quite nail the focus to get the entire scene in focus.

Probably a website error. Message them on the online chat.
They’ve confirmed it’s only available on the L-mount :rolleyes:
Thought you werent buying :LOL:
Nope, always said I’m very interested but wanted the price to come down first, but the idea of interest free did appeal. And before you say it I don’t want to take out another credit card :p

I'm off to do a "woof woof" soon. @woof woof

Heading into town on foot with my camera to test the Sigma 70mm ART macro out on general stuff.

Apparently there's no distortion so should be a good lens for panoramas and hopefully portraits.

Walking is good for you :D I have irritated the bone spur in my right foot recently but a bit of niggling wont stop me :D

I'd have gone for a walk today but it's blowing a gale and raining on and off.

Good luck with the macro lens :D I want one.

Not much to photograph on my walk but I'll put them up anyway.

Front of a narrowboat at f2.8 on the Sigma macro:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jLa7kw]Bow by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

St. Mary's Church, Kidderminster:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jLa662]St. Mary's Church by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Frankie & Benny's on an old Tokina 80-200 manual focus @ 80mm:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jLa6Zg]F&B's by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Canal in Kidderminster, also on the Tokina at 80mm:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jLb1f9]sign by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

They’ve confirmed it’s only available on the L-mount :rolleyes:

Nope, always said I’m very interested but wanted the price to come down first, but the idea of interest free did appeal. And before you say it I don’t want to take out another credit card :p

PayPal offer 4 months interest free. Often use it myself.

12 months here

Anyone in here using the Sony 2x Teleconverter?
I'm using the 1.4x with my Sony 100-400 and I'm really happy with the image quality but I could do with the extra reach of the 2x.
Is there much loss of sharpness? Does it work well?

Blue Tit by Pablo-Rodriguez, on Flickr

I'd suggest getting the 200-600mm instead.
The 2x is only really worth it with teleprimes.

I've had a trying time recently but some good news yesterday cheered me up and I thought I'd buy a new toy as that'd be nice too, but what...

I think I have enough old lenses but I am tempted by a few Nikons, the 50mm f1.2, 35mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8 AI-S but I do have enough old lenses. I'm also tempted by the new Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 or maybe the 50mm f1.2 but I already have three Voigtlanders, 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.

I looked at an A6000 in Currys the other day and I've always fancied one despite the handling issues (no front dial) but then I realised it doesn't have an electronic shutter and the max shutter speed is 1/4,000, so that's two problems. I want the option of silent shooting and an A6400 could do that but it's still limited to 1/4k and I don't want to go back to using ND's in good light with wide aperture primes. So an A6xxx is out and as the A7c is also limited to 1/4k that's another reason that's out too. I've thought about an A7III but to be honest I'm happy enough with the A7.

Maybe a wide zoom could be an option, maybe a 12-24mm or something like that but ouch! £1k+!!! Maybe :D

Just thinking out loud :D

And I do know this is a FWP.

(Also been looking at cars.)

Last edited:
12 months here

Thanks for this, I think I might place an order. I've just been reading about the pincushion distortion and need to decide whether it's going to be an issue. I don't think it will be though.

Thanks for this, I think I might place an order. I've just been reading about the pincushion distortion and need to decide whether it's going to be an issue. I don't think it will be though.
That's why you should buy my tamron 70-180mm :D

Then I can order that sigma and let you know if it's an issue ;)

I'd be tempted to try the Viltrox tbh, fraction of the cost and they are very well built.

20% off at Camera Centre UK ebay store with code POPUPSEPT20 (max discount £75)

Couple I spotted that seem decent deals for uk stock.

Samyang 75mm f/1.8 £243.99

Samyang 45mm f/1.8 £231.20

As usual, code works on everything they sell.

I've had a trying time recently but some good news yesterday cheered me up and I thought I'd buy a new toy as that'd be nice too, but what...

I think I have enough old lenses but I am tempted by a few Nikons, the 50mm f1.2, 35mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8 AI-S but I do have enough old lenses. I'm also tempted by the new Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 or maybe the 50mm f1.2 but I already have three Voigtlanders, 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.

I looked at an A6000 in Currys the other day and I've always fancied one despite the handling issues (no front dial) but then I realised it doesn't have an electronic shutter and the max shutter speed is 1/4,000, so that's two problems. I want the option of silent shooting and an A6400 could do that but it's still limited to 1/4k and I don't want to go back to using ND's in good light with wide aperture primes. So an A6xxx is out and as the A7c is also limited to 1/4k that's another reason that's out too. I've thought about an A7III but to be honest I'm happy enough with the A7.

Maybe a wide zoom could be an option, maybe a 12-24mm or something like that but ouch! £1k+!!! Maybe :D

Just thinking out loud :D

And I do know this is a FWP.

(Also been looking at cars.)
A7III will do what you want and give faster focus with native mount. I can also recommend the older Sigma 12-24 in A mount plus LA-EA4.

:)

Back