The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No I have completely gone off the idea of the 35 f2.
Its not small enough to replace my 35 f2.8 and it's not fast enough to go along side it.
I think the Voigtlander 35 f1.2 SE will be my second 35.
I'm going to go for the Sony 20mm f1.8 as well that's my next lens.

I've looked at the V 35mm f1.2 but I'm not getting any younger and sooner or later my eye sight might start to go :( but what will the 35mm f1.2 give me over the V 35mm f1.4 apart from overall sharpness, better corner performance, better bokeh etc. :D

I was sort of keen on the whole set of new Sigma's but I'm calmed down and now might/probably will not bother with any of them as I have 30, 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's so it's really just gas and nit picking.

All I can do is say good things about the Sony 20mm f1.8 though. But. I've noticed that the markings don't line up exactly on the aperture ring. The do when going one way but not when going the other. I've never seen this before, it may be just mine.

Thank you kindly Alan, that's much appreciated.

"Strange you should say that, as when the first lock down was in force I was kinda helping out delivering PPE stuff to out of the way places mainly around the difficult to get to areas of Scotland etc using "Choppy". I did actually see "Maske" from the air and thought it looked interesting and had planned on high tailing it up there when we hopefully get better times. Dungeness though is good for me as I bought one of the old cottages there a time or two back to use when I just want some solitude, and other times I let it out for vacation breaks. I have been staying there myself since before Christmas so I have been using the opportunity to get a few snaps while out walking on the beach"

If you get to Marske give me a shout and I'll treat you to fish and chips.

Me and Mrs WW regularly walk from Marske to either Redcar or Saltburn.

Last edited:
If you get to Marske give me a shout and I'll treat you to fish and chips.

Me and Mrs WW regularly walk from Marsk to either Redcar or Saltburn.

I will indeed Alan, and I'll treat you both to a look around the surrounding areas from the sky.

This is more me.

Direct...

Tempted?

I'm still following these on Fred Miranda.

I'm not even looking or reading about the Sigma f/2 now!

I'm not saying it isn't interesting, just not at the moment.

I'm not even looking or reading about the Sigma f/2 now!

I'm not saying it isn't interesting, just not at the moment.
I don't get them going f2 tbh, it's not as though it's any smaller than Sony's f1.8 and it's heavier, seems very odd to me :thinking:

I'm just added a Viltrox AF 85/1.8 II FE to my budget collection for my A7.

She's a hefty beast compared to the Sony 50/1.8 but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Absolute bargain at £170 new.
Where do you find it for that price?

Facebook marketplace. Seemed like a more risky endeavour than other ways of buying the lens, but I thought I'd take the risk. The same seller has the first version of the lens for £150, at that price you could even risk the f1.6 mod!

A9III coming on the 26th :banana:

I've been looking forward to this one, hopefully they will deliver this time. The A9ii is a great camera and they changed a lot that I didn't like on the A9 but it wasn't really much of an upgrade in specs.

Interesting title "the one never seen", I think that would suggest it's going to have a significant increase in fps. I'm not sure I believe the 50MP sensor rumour though.

I hope it comes in at the £4999 price point and not £5999...

I've been looking forward to this one, hopefully they will deliver this time. The A9ii is a great camera and they changed a lot that I didn't like on the A9 but it wasn't really much of an upgrade in specs.

Interesting title "the one never seen", I think that would suggest it's going to have a significant increase in fps. I'm not sure I believe the 50MP sensor rumour though.

I hope it comes in at the £4999 price point and not £5999...
If it's a high MP camera I'd be very interested indeed, once the price drops of course. I need a high megapixel body for cropping, if I can get that with class leading performance it's win win.

Global shutter could be a surprise, if they can do it on FF yet.

What it will hopefully do is push down the A9 price, and increase supply of s/h A9 and A9ii, making one of them possibly affordable.

That won't happen expected price of A9III is £6999, it is a totally different camera. All 3 models will be available together for some time yet until they decide to discontinue the A9.

That won't happen expected price of A9III is £6999, it is a totally different camera. All 3 models will be available together for some time yet until they decide to discontinue the A9.
Sony seem to have a history of being reluctant to cease camera models. For instance, the A6000 is still available new.

For birding an a9mkIII would have to have more MPs around 40 would make me want one even if the rest of the spec is only a small upgrade over my a9mkII as it is almost perfect .

Rob.

I suppose there'll always be a number of rich happy amateurs who go for this, just look at the Leica special editions to see there's a market for almost anything but at this sort of price does it make sense to possibly more sensible and even hard headed "ordinary" professionals? If I can call them that... What do you think? Aren't some of the existing models adequately capable for many professional uses?

When / if this comes out I suppose there could be a few more A9/II's on the used market though.

Last edited:
When i was with Canon i think i paid around £6000 for the 1dx mkII so even at £6999 for a Sony a9mkIII yes a lot of money but you get a lot more camera and the a9mkII gives more than the Canon and it was around £4000

Rob.

I suppose there'll always be a number of rich happy amateurs who go for this, just look at the Leica special editions to see there's a market for almost anything but at this sort of price does it make sense to possibly more sensible and even hard headed "ordinary" professionals? If I can call them that... What do you think? Aren't some of the existing models adequately capable for many professional uses?

When / if this comes out I suppose there could be a few more A9/II's on the used market though.

It is too early to say until the specs are confirmed. A high res fast camera is going to appeal to a lot of professionals regardless of cost. If the rumoured specs are correct it will appeal to wedding photographers because of the speed, having 50mpx to play with while it does have some downsides but also has advantages in terms of being able to crop, for example an 85mm lens in APSC mode will equate to 127.5mm meaning you can get away without the need for a 135mm and possibly a 70-200. A camera of that specification is likely good for the next 5 years or so. The rumoured video specs will also appeal to a lot of hybrid shooters. Current hi-res bodies are too slow. Lots of wedding photographers are using an A9 and an A7RIII or A7RIV this camera would replace both. Much better to have 2 bodies the same than mix and match. If they can nail that 50mpx with similar speed to the other A9's it will also appeal for sports and wildlife as well.

If the rumoured specs are true, I will want it but the cost involved in changing over probably wouldn't make much sense especially at the moment with so much uncertainty around when I will be able to work over the next year or so.

Sony seem to have a history of being reluctant to cease camera models. For instance, the A6000 is still available new.

Yeah but the A6000 has been officially discontinued now although that only happened a couple of months ago so probably loads of stock still left in distribution channels.

Yeah but the A6000 has been officially discontinued now although that only happened a couple of months ago so probably loads of stock still left in distribution channels.
After 7 years ... :D

PS not knocking it as it’s the camera which got me into Sony last year.

Last edited:
A6000 was a wonderful camera but the lack of level gauge in the camera annoyed the hell out of me. Only Sony camera that doesn't have it!

But it showed that tracking action was possible on mirrorless, till then I thought it was a lost cause.

Last edited:
What I'd like is to be able to have the level and histogram in view at the same time.

Do later cameras allow this?

No problem with my Panasonics...

It is too early to say until the specs are confirmed. A high res fast camera is going to appeal to a lot of professionals regardless of cost. If the rumoured specs are correct it will appeal to wedding photographers because of the speed, having 50mpx to play with while it does have some downsides but also has advantages in terms of being able to crop, for example an 85mm lens in APSC mode will equate to 127.5mm meaning you can get away without the need for a 135mm and possibly a 70-200. A camera of that specification is likely good for the next 5 years or so. The rumoured video specs will also appeal to a lot of hybrid shooters. Current hi-res bodies are too slow. Lots of wedding photographers are using an A9 and an A7RIII or A7RIV this camera would replace both. Much better to have 2 bodies the same than mix and match. If they can nail that 50mpx with similar speed to the other A9's it will also appeal for sports and wildlife as well.

If the rumoured specs are true, I will want it but the cost involved in changing over probably wouldn't make much sense especially at the moment with so much uncertainty around when I will be able to work over the next year or so.

So, it's a more realistic a proposition than I thought? A sensible move even? Just thought I'd ask :D

What I'd like is to be able to have the level and histogram in view at the same time.

Do later cameras allow this?

No problem with my Panasonics...
Not that I'm aware of, there's not way to customise what you can see in the EVF either. I do like that you can do this with Panny and Olly.

What it will hopefully do is push down the A9 price, and increase supply of s/h A9 and A9ii, making one of them possibly affordable.
If the price of the A9iii is high it will probably solidify A9 second hand prices. If it’s £6999 like said in this thread then the price of the A9 second hand at around £2k is unlikely to drop. At a third of the price the A9 is already excellent value when the improvements probably won’t make the A9iii 3 times better and worth 3 times the price. If the A9iii was £3k or £4K is would be a different and probably would lead to second A9 prices dropping. I can see many being able to justify upgrading from an A9 unless they have lots of spare cash.

I know I wont be trading in an A9 for the A9iii as the A9 is already a better camera than me. I’m the limiting factor not the camera. Spending £5k on an A9iii won’t make me a better photographer!

I hoped the price of the A7Riii would have dropped once the A7riv out for a while as I was hoping I could pick one up as a second body. Since I swapped from the A7riii to the A9 the A7riii actually went up compared to what I sold my A7Riii for. In hindsight I probably got the A7riii for a great price on here and sold on it on at the same price to another member on here (if I buy at good price I pass it on to other members if I later sell). At the moment I can’t justify paying more for one than I sold one for.

If it's a high MP camera I'd be very interested indeed, once the price drops of course. I need a high megapixel body for cropping, if I can get that with class leading performance it's win win.

I think it will be a higher MP, just not 50mp. I think the unseen or whatever they are hinting at is the fps ie the extra frames that would have been missed at 20fps.

If it's up to £5999 then I'll pre-order in UK straight away (£4999 would be much better!), if it's above then I'll probably look to buying it from the dark side..

if it is a new camera, I want to see how well they do with animal eyeAF. If it can't match or beat the R5 then no sale. in fact I may dump sony all in all :p

if it is a new camera, I want to see how well they do with animal eyeAF. If it can't match or beat the R5 then no sale. in fact I may dump sony all in all :p
What's lacking in animal eye AF. Not noticed anything lacking with mine keeps up with the cat no issue.

Last edited:
My first shot with the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 E on the A7C. Finally got this lens on Wednesday after it spent a couple of days in a DPD trunker going p and down the country, visiting Birmingham, Aberdeen, and Bradford before landing with me.

Stairs by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

What's lacking in animal eye AF. Not noticed anything leaving with mine keeps up with the cat no issue.
It can do just about every animal including birds, appears much better and more consistent than Sony.

Back