The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I thought I'd try the Sony A9 at some personal photography, see if I can get in the mood for the Sony A1 for more of the same..

auto ISO both cameras, Sony 85mm 1.4 GM vs Hasselblad 80mm 1.9

What is up with the Sony A9 white balance, it's way off, the Hasselblad is perfect,

So I try auto-wb and warm it up in lightroom, still looks a bit magenta.

The sony image feels a bit more muddy by comparison, but the head is slightly shifted.

Doesn't compel me to shoot with the Sony A9 outside of work, wish it'd be better with colours..

Sony A9 - Default by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Sony A9 - Auto WB + Warmed by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Hasselblad - Default by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Last edited:
With a 30 metre extension lead to charge it at home ;)
Oh, that might present a issue.
I am lucky to have a driveway and 10m charge cable.
When you factor in the running cost savings, the cost to run my Tesla is very cheap.
I have done just under 21k miles in mine since Sept 29th 2019 and its cost me between £450-500 in electricity :eek: :D

I thought I'd try the Sony A9 at some personal photography, see if I can get in the mood for the Sony A1 for more of the same..

What is up with the Sony A9 white balance, it's way off, the Hasselblad is perfect,

The sony image feels a bit more muddy by comparison, but the light is slightly shifted.

Doesn't compel me to shoot with the Sony A9 personally, wish it'd be better with colours..

Woah that's a massive difference, much prefer the H!

I might be tempted by that, especially if it was actually more like £2K
Two niggles with A7iii are non articulated screen, gritty EVF (and cumbersome menu maybe?)
Also the autofocus while good is now a bit dated even my ZV-1 is better in video AFC/eye focus

I'm a bit undecided on screens as TBH I hardly use them. I sometimes do a waist or low level shot but mostly I don't and when I did have an articulated screen it spent most of its time folded to the body. So really I'm not too bothered. A better EVF is always welcome but light output for truly low light is something that I wish could be improved as high light output can ruin low light vision and be uncomfortable. Menus don't bother me, I hardly ever use them.

I've been thinking about how much I'd spend on a camera and I'm not sure. I have a busy and stressful life and photography is just about my only hobby and I do like taking pictures and processing and looking at them so if my A7 dies I probably would spend about £2k but it'd hurt :D

Last edited:
Seems that Digital Rev are the first grey company to have a price for the A1 AT £5249.99

That's a reasonable price tbh.
I wouldn't be the first to risk it with the current import/vat/handling fees
I'm not sure Brexit's had any impact on import outside of the EU tbh, we've always supposed to pay import and duty on those it's just that grey importers often don't declare good properly. My guess is that customs will be concentrating more on good from the EU at the moment than other countries due to the rule change, but it's just a guess.
You can get plenty of "hurrah" in some electric cars ;)
Well if you want a silent hurrah ;)

The sony image feels a bit more muddy by comparison, but the head is slightly shifted.

Doesn't compel me to shoot with the Sony A9 outside of work, wish it'd be better with colours..

Yep that's pretty bad on the original A9. Are there different Auto WB settings on the A9 like other cameras ie Auto WB daylight etc? Also, you've not accidentally tweaked the default WB settings so that they're cooler by default have you?

I'm not sure Brexit's had any impact on import outside of the EU tbh, we've always supposed to pay import and duty on those it's just that grey importers often don't declare good properly. My guess is that customs will be concentrating more on good from the EU at the moment than other countries due to the rule change, but it's just a guess.

Yep that's pretty bad on the original A9. Are there different Auto WB settings on the A9 like other cameras ie Auto WB daylight etc? Also, you've not accidentally tweaked the default WB settings so that they're cooler by default have you?

WB on auto with no +/- settings, so not tweaked - if i'd taken a few photos and pointed it around the room a bit i'm sure it would have made a better guess - but both cameras were turned on from cold and shot.

Still wouldn't have fixed the general magenta cast and the fact that it's not MF :D

The more i think about how I could match the colour better, the more i realise that isn't what I want- an image that takes 20 minutes to fix just to get the base satifactory.

Last edited:
Oh, that might present a issue.
I am lucky to have a driveway and 10m charge cable.
When you factor in the running cost savings, the cost to run my Tesla is very cheap.
I have done just under 21k miles in mine since Sept 29th 2019 and its cost me between £450-500 in electricity :eek: :D
Our front garden is over 120 feet long, which is the nearest place to park. Plus, there are no public chargers within 16 miles.

WB on auto with no +/- settings, so not tweaked - if i'd taken a few photos and pointed it around the room a bit i'm sure it would have made a better guess - but both cameras were turned on from cold and shot.

Still wouldn't have fixed the general magenta cast and the fact that it's not MF :D

The more i think about how I could match the colour better, the more i realise that isn't what I want- an image that takes 20 minutes to fix just to get the base satifactory.
No it shouldn’t need fixing like that, I can’t imagine why it’s so far off. Is that a one off or is it consistently that bad?

On the whole I’ve not found Sony as good as Nikon in terms of WB but it’s rare I have to make drastic changes.

No it shouldn’t need fixing like that, I can’t imagine why it’s so far off. Is that a one off or is it consistently that bad?

On the whole I’ve not found Sony as good as Nikon in terms of WB but it’s rare I have to make drastic changes.

it usually when you first turn the camera on or wake from standby, if you wave it around the room a bit - it gets better, but it's not going to fix the 'colour science'

it usually when you first turn the camera on or wake from standby, if you wave it around the room a bit - it gets better, but it's not going to fix the 'colour science'
Odd o_O

Our front garden is over 120 feet long, which is the nearest place to park. Plus, there are no public chargers within 16 miles.
So in this instance you would need the 32amp armored cable run from CU / breaker unit under your garden, then have a post charger installed.
Probably not cheap but possible.
I have a Rolec with 10m tethered cable.

So in this instance you would need the 32amp armored cable run from CU / breaker unit under your garden, then have a post charger installed.
Probably not cheap but possible.
I have a Rolec with 10m tethered cable.
Yes, that is what I would need. It's academic though - no way can I afford an electric car. Nor would I until rapid (sub-10 mins) full-tank charging were ready available at charging stations. Nothing against electric cars per-se, just that battery technology has not yet matured to match petrol's convenience.

been recently using D800 and I don't find it particularly better or worst than Sony tbh.

D800 was particularly poor in terms of auto wb to be fair. That was one of the reasons I switched to D750’s when I had mine.

Goods from Asia come via eu still...

Some context re the pricing of the A1...

Unless you really need that frame rate an A7riV or that Fuji GFX100s looks a lot better for your mirrorless camera. Looks logically laid out too.

For £1000 less - you can get a camera with a sensor with 1.7x the size and 2x the resolution. This is no doubt the finest mirror less camera ever made.

Last edited:
been recently using D800 and I don't find it particularly better or worst than Sony tbh.
Never owned a D800 so can’t comment. D750, D850 and Z7 were great though IMO, very natural
Purchased, waiting for email for delivery then will see what difference it makes. Thanks
Would be interested to hear your thoughts. $15.00 sounds a lot for a single profile but if it does more that what I can do to create my own presets such as changing hues, saturation levels etc it might be worth a punt.
Goods from Asia come via eu still...
Didn’t know that, I thought when I’d ordered from the US and Asia it came straight to the UK :thinking:

Some context re the pricing of the A1...

Unless you really need that frame rate an A7riV or that Fuji GFX100s looks a lot better for your mirrorless camera. Looks logically laid out too.

For £1000 less - you can get a camera with a sensor with 1.7x the size and 2x the resolution. This is no doubt the finest mirror less camera ever made.

Probably true but I'm guessing people buying the A1 have a pretty unique use in mind, also video users seem to be getting excited about it. Other consideration is lenses (admittedly I have no idea about the GFX lenses.

Probably true but I'm guessing people buying the A1 have a pretty unique use in mind, also video users seem to be getting excited about it. Other consideration is lenses (admittedly I have no idea about the GFX lenses.

There isn't as many of them for sure - but they are decent for sure and no more expensive than the G master stuff.

My feeling is there are certain bargains in the Sony line up - the A7RiV being one - and this not. I see Sony as the Apple of camera makers, they've got a cult following and do a lot well but there are more interesting options out there for less money.

There isn't as many of them for sure - but they are decent for sure and no more expensive than the G master stuff.

My feeling is there are certain bargains in the Sony line up - the A7RiV being one - and this not. I see Sony as the Apple of camera makers, they've got a cult following and do a lot well but there are more interesting options out there for less money.
Interesting, I see Canon more like Apple (y)

I'd have said Sony are more like Samsung, while Nikon are more like Apple

Seems that Digital Rev are the first grey company to have a price for the A1 AT £5249.99

I had every intention of pre-ordering yesterday but I had set my "buy now" limit for a UK model at £5999 otherwise I'd look at other options.

£5249 I'd be happy with so I'll be going that route just hope there's good supply when released.

Not sure about this, I think GFX lens lineup is a fair bit more expensive.

not to mention you can get some amazing 3rd party glass for lot less money on Sony.

No - like Nokia - once titans but clinging on for relevance in today's market
Canon like Apple charging OTT prices for premium products but nothing overly innovative or drastically different from previous models, Sony more like Android, innovative, great features but not quite as polished, and then Nikon somewhere in between.

Canon like Apple charging OTT prices for premium products but nothing overly innovative or drastically different from previous models, Sony more like Android, innovative, great features but not quite as polished, and then Nikon somewhere in between.

Apple is pretty innovative tbh.

Not sure about this, I think GFX lens lineup is a fair bit more expensive.

not to mention you can get some amazing 3rd party glass for lot less money on Sony.

Use an adaptor and you can use some Canon L glass - the longer stuff mainly and the tilt shifts. Plus there are other adaptor's going to use other, older and less expensive medium format lenses.

It's not that I am anti Sony - far from it - but for a lot of users on here (read landscapers, architecture and portraits) the Fuji is probably the better system. I think though for Sports, Press and Wildlife this Sony has a lot going for it - and the price to go. On another forum it's been described as a 1Dx, D5 competitor - and these are not commonly owned camera's on here. Most aren't press and sports working pro's...I'd rather save a grand and have an extra 50mp, or save £3k and have an extra 12mp. I think most landscape dudes would.

Apple is pretty innovative tbh.

In someways yes - but in a lot of cases it's style over substance. The ARM chips look very promising but Apple devices like tablets and phones are IMHO really quite expensive style statements.

Last edited:

yeap, that easy the navigate menu screams Apple

Use an adaptor and you can use some Canon L glass - the longer stuff mainly and the tilt shifts. Plus there are other adaptor's going to use other, older and less expensive medium format lenses.

It's not that I am anti Sony - far from it - but for a lot of users on here (read landscapers, architecture and portraits) the Fuji is probably the better system. I think though for Sports, Press and Wildlife this Sony has a lot going for it - and the price to go. On another forum it's been described as a 1Dx, D5 competitor - and these are not commonly owned camera's on here. Most aren't press and sports working pro's...

I don't think you are anti Sony :)
But you are on a Sony thread so expect some push back ;)
If anything i am more anti Sony than you are :D

The adapter with glass you mean (for L lenses)... I have tried speed boosters in the past and no matter how premium they are, the corners are never on the level of using native format glass.
The adding glass elements in between degrades quality at which point I don't see the point in buying expensive medium format bodies.

Plus you can adapt all those L glasses on to Sony or canon RF bodies and not have the image quality degradation from adding extra glass. ;)

Last edited:
I don't think you are anti Sony :)
But you are on a Sony thread so expect some push back ;)
If anything i am more anti Sony than you are :D

Fair enough - to me A7RIV remains the mirrorless full frame champ - but the king of mirrorless has to be that Fuji sorry :D

and I do agree - native is always the way to go if you can. For most on here, the Fuji native range is probably good enough

Woah that's a massive difference, much prefer the H!

I can't see much difference between the second (warmed) Sony photo and the Hasselblad. Not worth the Hassel. (I'll get my coat.).

I added some new images to the bottom of this blog post, showing the color fidelity standard.

It gets rid of the magenta cast, so I'd say that's an improvement - will have to see how it affects other subjects/scenes

thanks

Thanks Dan. Looks promising. I’ve only used the Portrait one myself Pretty happy with it

Back