The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Never owned a D800 so can’t comment. D750, D850 and Z7 were great though IMO, very natural
Would be interested to hear your thoughts. $15.00 sounds a lot for a single profile but if it does more that what I can do to create my own presets such as changing hues, saturation levels etc it might be worth a punt.
Didn’t know that, I thought when I’d ordered from the US and Asia it came straight to the UK :thinking:
Some do but not all.

Next time you order grey, check the tracking.

Many come via Frankfurt I believe.one of the main hubs in EU

@dancook
I used it on this grab (A7Riv)

I'd like to nod my head and agree, but from my position I actually find that hard to know if that's made for a more accurate representation, the skin tones are a little pinky and the highlights are a bit bright (thought nothing to do with the colour profile, but it's created what I would call a marshmallow palette) - perhaps if the temperature was a little cooler it would separate the colours better.

i'm sorry you did not ask for CC !

Might have missed it, but I’ve not seen any mention of weatherproofing in the A1’s specs?
You’re right there’s nothing there. Surely it’s just been missed of the specs list, it’s surely got to have weather sealing otherwise it’s the fail of all fails?

You’re right there’s nothing there. Surely it’s just been missed of the specs list, it’s surely got to have weather sealing otherwise it’s the fail of all fails?
I wish camera manufactures would use the IP system. Even when they say weather resistant it still means it's a risk taking it out in the rain.

Might have missed it, but I’ve not seen any mention of weatherproofing in the A1’s specs?
According to this it has weather sealing

That review had flagged up the first ‘flaw’ with this camera, a pretty poor res LCD screen, especially considering the price and that it’s supposed to be the new flagship.

According to this it has weather sealing

That review had flagged up the first ‘flaw’ with this camera, a pretty poor res LCD screen, especially considering the price and that it’s supposed to be the new flagship.
Yea they still using lcd from the 90s

Brand new A7R iv can be had for £2,699 after cash back which seems to be as cheap as you can get it used when I check usedlens.co.uk. It's tempting, especially as I like to do panos and that sensor would surely help create an awesome amount of detail? I wish I could see on in person though to check the dimensions.

I see WEX have the A7S iii back in stock as well.

Brand new A7R iv can be had for £2,699 after cash back which seems to be as cheap as you can get it used when I check usedlens.co.uk. It's tempting, especially as I like to do panos and that sensor would surely help create an awesome amount of detail? I wish I could see on in person though to check the dimensions.

Still think that’s wayyyyy more resolution than 99.999% of people would ever need. In fact I don’t know a single pro landscape photographer using a body that’s above 50mp personally.

Certainly as a professional spec camera it would be ridiculous given the sports, wildlife market it would be aimed at, to then not be up to outdoor sustained use?

I added some new images to the bottom of this blog post, showing the color fidelity standard.

It gets rid of the magenta cast, so I'd say that's an improvement - will have to see how it affects other subjects/scenes

thanks
From this I prefer the colour of the Sony fidelity over the HB, but prefer the "look" of the HB better. I think the exposure from the HB is better too.

With regards to the fidelity profile is it just like a preset, ie sliders, hues, tone curves etc have been adjusted or is it more "under the hood" profile such as the normal camera profiles and so all adjustments are at default levels (most being 0)?

From this I prefer the colour of the Sony fidelity over the HB, but prefer the "look" of the HB better. I think the exposure from the HB is better too.

With regards to the fidelity profile is it just like a preset, ie sliders, hues, tone curves etc have been adjusted or is it more "under the hood" profile such as the normal camera profiles and so all adjustments are at default levels (most being 0)?

it’s a colour profile, to replace Adobe colour that most images default to.

It gives you a base before any sliders have been changed

Creating panos from A7RIV files is more of a post processing pain. My panos are easily close to 1GB in file size!
You are better off making panos with a lower Res body you get files that are more manageable.

Have you tried using cameras own profiles?

I didn't think to give it a try... I assume that would be the 'Camera Matching' colour profile offered by Lightroom - I added 'standard' to the comparisons

bearing in mind the Sony A9 is a custom wb that i had to gauge myself - I just replaced the camera matching standard, tried to play with exposure and WB a bit more, general point being it's been a lot more effort to get to this point that the Hasselblad which was 'out of camera'

Color Fidelity standard -> Camera Matching standard -> Hasselblad

Color-Fidelity-scaled.jpg

A9209287-3-scaled.jpg

B0001714-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
I can't understand why it isn't fully articulating, with the A7iii I really miss that in portrait orientation and near the ground - quite common for macro/flower close ups.

it’s a colour profile, to replace Adobe colour that most images default to.

It gives you a base before any sliders have been changed
Cool thanks, so like the camera profiles then
Have you tried using cameras own profiles?
I don’t like any of the Sony colour profiles. I’ve used Sony standard and then tweaked colours etc and then saved as a preset. It would be nice to have that as a profile rather than preset but I don’t know how to do that.
I didn't think to give it a try... I assume that would be the 'Camera Matching' colour profile offered by Lightroom - I added 'standard' to the comparisons

bearing in mind the Sony A9 is a custom wb that i had to gauge myself - I just replaced the camera matching standard, tried to play with exposure and WB a bit more, general point being it's been a lot more effort to get to this point that the Hasselblad which was 'out of camera'

Color Fidelity standard -> Camera Matching standard -> Hasselblad

Color-Fidelity-scaled.jpg

A9209287-3-scaled.jpg

B0001714-scaled.jpg
I find the Adobe profile quite ‘flat’ and often too magenta tbh, and that’s been on all cameras I’ve used. There’s various Adboe ones such as Adobe colour etc, and then there are camera profiles that are Adobe attempts to match the camera jpeg colour profiles which all vary from camera to camera. On the whole I’ve always found Sony standard to be too green and far too strong on yellows.
I can't understand why it isn't fully articulating, with the A7iii I really miss that in portrait orientation and near the ground - quite common for macro/flower close ups.
I guess they’re not going to please everyone, I personally prefer tilting over articulating.

Last edited:
Still think that’s wayyyyy more resolution than 99.999% of people would ever need. In fact I don’t know a single pro landscape photographer using a body that’s above 50mp personally.

It certainly is monstrous. Would it also need the best possible lenses to make use of all those pixels?

Plenty of landscape togs using high MP medium format (y)

I absolutely hate fully articulated screens and would never consider buying a camera that had one, a tilting screen suits my needs much better as it would for the majority of still photographers, were as fully articulated is more an advantage for video, bloggers etc.

I never use the tilt on my a9mkII so won't use it on the a1 either so not bothered either way .

Rob.

I absolutely hate fully articulated screens and would never consider buying a camera that had one, a tilting screen suits my needs much better as it would for the majority of still photographers, were as fully articulated is more an advantage for video, bloggers etc.
Being able to tilt in the portrait format is useful for low-down shots.

I love the fully articulated screen on the A7C amazing they haven't used that at least.
I like that you can store the screen screen side towards the camera to protect it.

Like you say portrait mode you can tilt the screen you can't with just a tilting screen.

I have both screens i.e. A7RIV and A7C and they both suck in their own way. A fully articulating screen like on Sony A77/A99 series is what you want really.
Agreed, most of the time I just want to tilt and it bugs me that you have to have the screen out on the side to do this with fully articulating. It’s a shame they can’t invent a fully articulating that also just tilts in place, it can’t be hard to do that except for ‘hiding’ the extra bulk.

Good morning all.

I'm just about take delivery of an A7Riv with a view of getting the Tamron trinity for a light(ish)weight landscape kit. Unfortunately not all will be arriving at the same time so I'm pondering which order to acquire. I'm thinking that the 17-28 would be a good start as using APS-C mode would turn it into a good walk around lens as well, and then the 70-180 for the long end before finally the 28-75. Does anyone else use the 17-28 in this way?

Cheers,

Pete

Good morning all.

I'm just about take delivery of an A7Riv with a view of getting the Tamron trinity for a light(ish)weight landscape kit. Unfortunately not all will be arriving at the same time so I'm pondering which order to acquire. I'm thinking that the 17-28 would be a good start as using APS-C mode would turn it into a good walk around lens as well, and then the 70-180 for the long end before finally the 28-75. Does anyone else use the 17-28 in this way?

Cheers,

Pete
I contemplated the 17-28mm for this reason, but opted for the 16-35mm instead as that gives me 52.5mm in APS-C mode which is a useful focal length for me, but some may prefer the slightly shorter FL of 42mm

I contemplated the 17-28mm for this reason, but opted for the 16-35mm instead as that gives me 52.5mm in APS-C mode which is a useful focal length for me, but some may prefer the slightly shorter FL of 42mm
35 would certainly be preferable but I think I would give it up for the extra stop. You've made me think though!

Good morning all.

Cheers,

Pete
My preference would be Sony 20mm (unless you really need wider) plus Sony 24-105mm then either the Tamron 70-180 or Sigma 100-400.

I think the Tamron's are OK, nothing more, nothing less. The 24-105 has OSS and a far more useful range than the 28-75.

You can buy the first two in the classifieds and save some £££

optically speaking its more than just OK. Its sharper than GM and even likes of some new lenses like RF70-200mm
The 70-180 is the best of the bunch, the 17-28 and 28-75 are not as sharp as GM glass in my opinion, tried them both, all a bit meh really.

The 70-180 is the best of the bunch, the 17-28 and 28-75 are not as sharp as GM glass in my opinion, tried them both, all a bit meh really.

haven't had the 17-28mm but seems to review favourably close to GM.
I agree the 28-75mm is no GM lens. think I actually rather own the 28-200mm which actually f2.8-4 in the same range and almost just as sharp (actually sharper at 75mm!).

Last edited:
My preference would be Sony 20mm (unless you really need wider) plus Sony 24-105mm then either the Tamron 70-180 or Sigma 100-400.

I think the Tamron's are OK, nothing more, nothing less. The 24-105 has OSS and a far more useful range than the 28-75.

I’ve been toying with the idea of swapping my 24-70mm for the 24-105mm tbh, but then with how much use the camera’s had recently it’s tough to justify extra expense :oops: :$

The 24-105 is a real tempter! Most of the time it would be the perfect lens and combined with a fast prime for indoors it could be be all I need for a while.

I just bought Topaz Denoise AI after my free trial had expired. Cost £38 with the 15% discount and I got upgraded to version 2.4.0. For anyone interested, here's what's new

Topaz.jpg

Back