The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I get cravings for the new Sigma 85mm 1.4, but then I use the Sony 85 1.8 FE and often think do I need to bother upgrading.
Depends on how you view it. There’s no question the Sony is better value but the Sigma does render nicer images.

I think the Sony 85mm f1.8 is at it's weakest if looking at the rendering of complex subjects and backgrounds at f1.8, but how often do we/you want to take pictures like that at f1.x?

I think the Sony 85mm f1.8 is at it's weakest if looking at the rendering of complex subjects and backgrounds at f1.8, but how often do we/you want to take pictures like that at f1.x?

I use my 85mm almost exclusively at 1.8, so I’d use the new Sigma at 1.4.

Something to think about I guess.

I think that's where it's (Sony 85mm f1.8) at its weakest but to be sure you'd need to shoot the same scene with the other lens and see how much better it is.

I get cravings for the new Sigma 85mm 1.4, but then I use the Sony 85 1.8 FE and often think do I need to bother upgrading.
Which sigma? There's 2.
Is it the dearer one? The DG DN?
What's the difference between them?

Worth what? An extra £600? It is the better lens, but I just don’t know whether it’s worth dropping a sizeable amount of cash.

Feeling a bit anti-GAS this evening, normal service will resume again tomorrow.:)

IMO yes. Of course the laws of diminishing returns start to operate, you always pay a huge mark up for the last 5-10% increase in performance. Though I'd say sigma offers a lot more than just 5-10% more because you get better rendering, CA control, sharpness, more light, shallower DoF, build and ergonomics.

The rumor site reports that the 35mm f1.4 GM is delayed due to production issues...

"Thank you for your continued patronage of Sony products.

Regarding the above, the release date was set to “February 12, 2021 (Friday)” at the time of the press announcement on January 14, 2021 (Thursday). Lens for digital single-lens camera α [E mount] FE 35mm F1. Regarding 4 GM “SEL35F14GM”, we have decided to postpone the release due to production reasons. In addition, the release of the lens hood “ALC-SH164” will be postponed accordingly. We will inform you about the release date as soon as it is confirmed.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to customers who are looking forward to the information just before the release."

We've had mostly hail sized snow for two days now so there's a light dusting. I haven't been out for a good walk and taken pictures for quite a while now, since the 12th January I think.

The rumor site reports that the 35mm f1.4 GM is delayed due to production issues...

"Thank you for your continued patronage of Sony products.

Regarding the above, the release date was set to “February 12, 2021 (Friday)” at the time of the press announcement on January 14, 2021 (Thursday). Lens for digital single-lens camera α [E mount] FE 35mm F1. Regarding 4 GM “SEL35F14GM”, we have decided to postpone the release due to production reasons. In addition, the release of the lens hood “ALC-SH164” will be postponed accordingly. We will inform you about the release date as soon as it is confirmed.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to customers who are looking forward to the information just before the release."

I wonder if the issue is simply they can’t deal with the demand. Yesterday I bumped into a guy that works in my local WEX. They are closed at the moment but I was telling him that I would likely nip in when they re-open to pick one of these up and he said that it might be quite some time before they have stock in-store as this lens is one of the most popular pre-orders they have ever had.

Who knows? But why would they stifle the money coming in? Why not just knock them out as fast as they can and rake in the money? Whatever the reason, we may never know.

Who knows? But why would they stifle the money coming in? Why not just knock them out as fast as they can and rake in the money? Whatever the reason, we may never know.

I would imagine they do knock them out as quick as they can but they are probably only set up for producing a certain amount of theses each day and demand for this lens may have well outstripped there expectations.

I would imagine they do knock them out as quick as they can but they are probably only set up for producing a certain amount of theses each day and demand for this lens may have well outstripped there expectations.
I would imagine that they, like the rest of the world, are susceptible to Covid-related disruptions.

@woof woof

Alan, I saw this and thought of you... :LOL:

haha!

Whenever I mention any thing to Mrs WW she asks if I'd like one. One day the honeymoon period may end but if I want something I needn't even pay... just ask Mrs WW for it, and there's never any evil eyes if I do buy anything.

As this little hobby is very difficult at the mo I have been agonising over if I should sell most of my gear, all the MFT stuff, most of my lenses, and just keep my A7 plus a few (single digit) lenses and maybe my TZ100 but then I think what would I get for them and don't bother.

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple landscape style Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of part of the desolate landscape and some of the things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty type presentation for this snap to bring out some of the textures.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/1400 @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Desolate Landscape (1)-03508 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Very nice. What's explore?
A mythical status to achieve on Flickr. Nobody knows how a picture is selected for this, the holy grail, but you are guaranteed world-wide adulation for at least a day. :clap:

Thanks. I thought it was something like that but I've never seen it and don't use Flickr so I wasn't sure.

all the Sony A1 news and reviews have gone quiet after the initial burst. hmmm.... i wonder why....

all the Sony A1 news and reviews have gone quiet after the initial burst. hmmm.... i wonder why....
Reality has kicked in, pandemic, mass job losses across the globe, photographers with no work. It's very much a want item rather than need for most people.

"IT MADE EXPLORE" :) :)

Just a simple landscape style Snapograph taken at Dungeness Romney Marsh Kent UK of part of the desolate landscape and some of the things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty type presentation for this snap to bring out some of the textures.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

RX10M4, 1/1400 @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Desolate Landscape (1)-03508 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.
Really like that George, like the mood and composition

I came across these A1 photos by accident when searching for A7C samples for a mate. Certainly very eye catching.

Last edited:
Reality has kicked in, pandemic, mass job losses across the globe, photographers with no work. It's very much a want item rather than need for most people.
Same could be said for R5 or A7Siii? They had lot more "buzz" around them

Back