The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I quite fancy a remote control for my a7R IV for when the camera is on the tripod and I'm waiting for something to happen. I have a remote intervalometer and it's fine for doing astro/timelapse, but looking at RMT-P1BT for simplicity (nowt to plug in). Cost isn't massively important.

I see there's a cheaper alternative (JJC BTR-S1)

Neither of them get stellar reviews (disconnects etc).

Anyone have any better suggestions?

I quite fancy a remote control for my a7R IV for when the camera is on the tripod and I'm waiting for something to happen. I have a remote intervalometer and it's fine for doing astro/timelapse, but looking at RMT-P1BT for simplicity (nowt to plug in). Cost isn't massively important.

tried using your phone?

I have that remote and it works very well

The RMT-P1BT .It works very well and my only concern would be battery life as it only takes a watch type battery. I will make sure there is a spare in my bag. Pairing is easy to do and only takes a few seconds
What sort of range do you get out in the open, and then if you're using it through a window?

Edit: Just seen it's only 10m, I'll stick with my wireless remote (y)

Last edited:
Sony provides a free app you can use.....
something like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itqj2t9ryTY
I've only had a quick play with that app, but I'm not a fan of using my phone as a shutter release as I'm liable to drop it :oops: :$ That being said I've only ever used shutter releases for landscapes and can see the benefit of using this app to focus as well. Have you tested the range of the wifi connection?

I've only had a quick play with that app, but I'm not a fan of using my phone as a shutter release as I'm liable to drop it :oops: :$ That being said I've only ever used shutter releases for landscapes and can see the benefit of using this app to focus as well. Have you tested the range of the wifi connection?

Haven't really tested the range tbh not more than a couple meters anyway.
In fact I haven't used it since i changed my phone couple years back.

I use the selftimer or remote release with cable these days.
Don't like using my phone for the same reason as you.

Haven't really tested the range tbh not more than a couple meters anyway.
In fact I haven't used it since i changed my phone couple years back.

I use the selftimer or remote release with cable these days.
Don't like using my phone for the same reason as you.
Ahh, a couple of metres is no good for bird photography then really.

Ahh, a couple of metres is no good for bird photography then really.

I didn't mean to say the range was couple meters that's just how far I have been when I was using it.
I know various folks who have used it to get some interesting shots of deer in Richmond park by setting up the camera and shooting from their phones. I am too scared too do that myself.
So I think you can get a good distance. Its free to test for yourself ;)

fstoppers review the Sigma 35mm f2.

This surprised me a bit...

What I Don’t Like
  • Sharpness is good at f/2, really good at f/2.8, and excellent at f/4, but for portraits, it would be nice to have it a bit sharper at f/2
  • Weather-sealing is not really on par with other premium lenses

He wants sharp portraits at f2? and this isn't sharp enough?

I remember the first time I thought a lens was too sharp for portraits and it was the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 on my Canon 20D. That lens persuaded me that portraits can be so sharp they're unflattering. So for me there's that. I know we're all different but a portrait at f2 would have to be taken at a distance and not a relatively tight shot otherwise even at 35mm next to nothing is going to be in the DoF. I much prefer most of the head to be in the DoF not just an eye. I can't really think of a lens I've used that isn't sharp enough anywhere I'd want a subjects eye to be in a portrait even at f2.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a 35mm, I think if I lived near a major city I'd be more inclined to get one and do more 'street' photography (not necessarily people though)

I think I've shifted to 24/85 and using crop mode when I want 35. But will see when the weddings come back.

I have been the same mostly because I really didn't get along with any of the 35mm options.
Looking at my shots about 50% of them are cropped. I still retain plenty of resolution using it on A7RIV so I barely notice it in many ways. The rending of 24GM is really nice, produces such nice sunstars too. hmmm.... may be I should keep it :ROFLMAO:

I've not used that but I'll read up on it :D The only f1.2 lenses I have are an old Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 and a Voigtlander 40mm f1.2.
just read up, the Samyang 35mm f1.2 is for APS-C :facepalm:

I have been the same mostly because I really didn't get along with any of the 35mm options.
Looking at my shots about 50% of them are cropped. I still retain plenty of resolution using it on A7RIV so I barely notice it in many ways. The rending of 24GM is really nice, produces such nice sunstars too. hmmm.... may be I should keep it :ROFLMAO:
Keep it, go and take some photos lol

To be fair he has posted a ton of pictures in this thread and I do see the point about not posting family pictures as not everyone likes their fizog posted all over t'net.
I've never seen them that's all, I like seeing other peoples work.

You don't seem to post anything, are all your photos of family then ?

at the moment a lot of it is. other stuff I used to shoot is cut down drastically.

I've never seen them that's all, I like seeing other peoples work.

Have posted plenty :)
less than ago month it seems

Last edited:
Can someone run through their custom buttons please on the A7 series?

I have just been going through all the options and this is what i have done so far.

Shutter button = Now only takes the picture, no AF.
C1 = Focus Magnifier
C2 = Focus Mode
C3 = Exposure Compensation
Multi-Slc centre Button = AF on
AF-ON = Eye AF
AEL Button = Subject Detection

I know it's personal preference but that seems like the most recommended setup.

I don't bother with the buttons now, I just use the custom menu apart from the magnified view which I have assigned to the button in the middle of the wheel at the back. This may be slower but it does mean I don't have to remember what button I've assigned what function to :D Oh, and I have custom settings for aperture and manual modes with wide area focus and face detect.

Can someone run through their custom buttons please on the A7 series?

I have just been going through all the options and this is what i have done so far.

Shutter button = Now only takes the picture, no AF.
C1 = Focus Magnifier
C2 = Focus Mode
C3 = Exposure Compensation
Multi-Slc centre Button = AF on
AF-ON = Eye AF
AEL Button = Subject Detection

I know it's personal preference but that seems like the most recommended setup.
Off the top of my head.

Shutter = AF-S and shutter.
Video button = Magnify.
Af-On button = Tracking on + AF on.
C button = Silent Shooting.
Center button = My Dial 1-2-3
Left button = Drive mode
Right button = ISO
Down button = Focus Area
My Dial 1 = Av/ISO
My Dial 2 = TV/ISO

Eye/Face detect is always on.