The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Too many buttons. That’s the advantage of the A7C ;) :p
Yeah that's what I read, not enough custom buttons, except every button is a custom button.

My 1.4x TC has arrived today, although I think it’ll be a while before I test it out as the weather forecast is appalling for the next week or so :(

Can someone run through their custom buttons please on the A7 series?

I have just been going through all the options and this is what i have done so far.

Shutter button = Now only takes the picture, no AF.
C1 = Focus Magnifier
C2 = Focus Mode
C3 = Exposure Compensation
Multi-Slc centre Button = AF on
AF-ON = Eye AF
AEL Button = Subject Detection

I know it's personal preference but that seems like the most recommended setup.

C1 is magnify
C2 - can't remember but it is zoom in playback mode
C3 - can't remember - might be face detect
Dial down - can't remember
Dial centre - ........can't remember ....... :ROFLMAO:

I don’t need/want buttons. Can’t remember what I’ve set the little blighters to!
Custom buttons are a must for me, I change settings quite often and don’t want to be delving into the menus to do so (y)

Custom buttons are a must for me, I change settings quite often and don’t want to be delving into the menus to do so (y)
Ah well, I still work as if it’s a film camera, right down to “being economical ” with the number of shots I take. :D

Ah well, I still work as if it’s a film camera, right down to “being economical ” with the number of shots I take. :D
I change stuff all the time, maybe because I shoot a variety of things or maybe it’s because I just like to mess about :LOL: WB, metering mode, focus area, focus mode, and drive mode are things that are changed all the time. And now with the introduction of Eye-AF I also change eye-AF priority on/off and subject type human/animal a lot of the time too (y)

I don't bother with WB as I always use raw and it's easy enough to set to taste later. If wanting to use WB I like the setting that lets you step through the colour temps until it looks right. I do have a couple of custom WB settings saved but it's a long time since I took any family gathering pictures so I've not used them for ages. I mostly used those because people sometimes want to see the picture I've just taken and of course wont understand why their faces are purple and the blue dress or white shirt isn't or how it'll be alright on the computer later.

My 1.4x TC has arrived today, although I think it’ll be a while before I test it out as the weather forecast is appalling for the next week or so :(
The weather must be very different to where I am then. From Tuesday there is finally a period of dry weather. Currently forecast as sun and cloud and 11C+. Hopefully that means the rivers start to get back to normal levels.

I change stuff all the time, maybe because I shoot a variety of things or maybe it’s because I just like to mess about :LOL: WB, metering mode, focus area, focus mode, and drive mode are things that are changed all the time. And now with the introduction of Eye-AF I also change eye-AF priority on/off and subject type human/animal a lot of the time too (y)
If you use manual lenses you don’t have to mess about with those new-fangled focus modes. ;) :D

The weather must be very different to where I am then. From Tuesday there is finally a period of dry weather. Currently forecast as sun and cloud and 11C+. Hopefully that means the rivers start to get back to normal levels.

Wish it was like that today. I have some furniture frames I need to finish off and they are being collected tomorrow..... :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Nothing but rain until next weekend here.
Fingers hovering over the buy button for the 20mm, bit I could do with leaving my bitcoins where they are while they're going up in value by the minute.

I don't bother with WB as I always use raw and it's easy enough to set to taste later. If wanting to use WB I like the setting that lets you step through the colour temps until it looks right. I do have a couple of custom WB settings saved but it's a long time since I took any family gathering pictures so I've not used them for ages. I mostly used those because people sometimes want to see the picture I've just taken and of course wont understand why their faces are purple and the blue dress or white shirt isn't or how it'll be alright on the computer later.
I tend to use auto WB (which has been tweaked to my taste) but sometimes I will use the other options if auto WB is doing a bad job. I remember when I went on a course with a Nikon ambassador and they showed that having a correct WB does actually affect the exposure and metering and so you are always better to have the correct WB in camera. Of course it depends on how much these tiny details bother you ;)

These in your private collection in one of your galleries? ;)

Just on a shelf for my Egyptian collection over many years, the best was a gift from my father he got in a London auction years ago and weigh a ton. Plus I have a book from about 1932.

Also bigger.
So are 24-70/2.8 lenses in comparison to 28-75/2.8 lenses.
The only small one is the 24-70mm f4 lenses but it's a reduced range and not all that sharp at 24mm in corners.
The EF 24-70/4 is actually rather good but once again it's bigger and heavier.
You compromise on the size or quality can't have it both ways was my point :)
When I last compared the 24-105 and 24-70f4, I couldn't see any obvious difference in image quality

I took these the last time we were in Thailand. A7 and Sony 35mm f2.8 at f2.8, 1/100 and ISO 25,600 and maybe two stops under exposed. I should have dropped the shutter speed down as low as possible but there you go, I didn't. The main problem was the combination of the ISO and the dreadful artificial lighting and I considered the colour pictures unusable but in a bored few minutes today I thought I'd try and rescue something and the results follow. When Mrs WW saw these she asked for them as sadly Tangkraw (Cucumber) was unbeknown to us ill at the time and died a few months later.

Still awful but given the subject matter they are worth something for the memory.

yftPQ7h.jpg

N7Mf6In.jpg

Anyone else got anything that is technically dreadful but was worth saving? :D

Last edited:
On the rumor site...

Direct link...

Who's getting one?
No thanks, if I need that much space I'll take my suite case with me and sling that over my shoulder.

No thanks, if I need that much space I'll take my suite case with me and sling that over my shoulder.

You're mad. Clearly anyone who doesn't want one is a fool :D

It may be the only one like that but even so the amount they're raised is impressive :D

When I last compared the 24-105 and 24-70f4, I couldn't see any obvious difference in image quality
I don’t think the 24-70mm is as bad as people say, or maybe it’s because I picked up a mint copy for £400 and judge it at this. It is soft and distorted in the corners compared to similar lenses (although still better than a number of older lenses) although there does appear to be copy variation and newer ones seem to be better than early ones. Also this is only really obvious when printing large or pixel peeping.

The 24-105mm is noticeably sharper across the frame.

I’ve been seriously considering replacing the 24-70mm f4 with the 24-105mm but I’m not sure whether I’d regret the extra size and weight.

By most reports 24-105mm is better especially at the long end.
You either have a very good copy of 24-70 or bad copy of 24-105mm

I don’t think the 24-70mm is as bad as people say, or maybe it’s because I picked up a mint copy for £400 and judge it at this. It is soft and distorted in the corners compared to similar lenses (although still better than a number of older lenses) although there does appear to be copy variation and newer ones seem to be better than early ones. Also this is only really obvious when printing large or pixel peeping.

The 24-105mm is noticeably sharper across the frame.

I’ve been seriously considering replacing the 24-70mm f4 with the 24-105mm but I’m not sure whether I’d regret the extra size and weight.

I remember from years back, one review site said it was a good lens but the problem was that it didn't leave the kit zoom far enough behind. I do remember the guys on Luminous Landscape raving about it, in a good way.

I remember from years back, one review site said it was a good lens but the problem was that it didn't leave the kit zoom far enough behind. I do remember the guys on Luminous Landscape raving about it, in a good way.
Yeah it’s a “good” lens but I think it gets judged because it carries the Zeiss name. Of course Sony Zeiss is very different to Zeiss.

The 28-70mm kit lens is actually a very good lens. I’m not sure we should even use the term kit lenses anymore as modern ’kit lenses’ are a far cry from the kit lenses of yesteryear.

By most reports 24-105mm is better especially at the long end.
You either have a very good copy of 24-70 or bad copy of 24-105mm
This shows how much better the 24-105mm is, assuming they had good examples of both.

Back