The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sorry, yes. Not seen it for a while. Think it's in the car. No, not credit-card size but certainly (coat) pocketable.

I think it'll be bigger than my TZ100 which is too big for me to think of as pocketable.

I should have kept the LF1 and I would buy another but they stopped making them a long time ago. They do crop up on evil bay but at fairly high prices. I gave mine to my sister when she whinged about wanting a camera when I gave her daughter my LX3 but I bet she's never even taken it out of the box.

As it's :tumbleweed:

A7 and NK 50mm f1.4, but stopped down a bit. Daffodils on the front at Saltburn.

TY1kBYF.jpg

Looking towards the wind farm.

FAAhiHU.jpg

Looking the other way.

vju88hx.jpg

Boats un Tractors.

oRMj39o.jpg

Last one.

0LToxAs.jpg

I'm still waiting for some nice light. It rained yesterday and today but tomorrow I'll get a few minutes out and no matter what the weather I'll take it :D

Last edited:
Some of you may remember that I posted on here that I had a couple of attachment lenses made by a buddy of mine. One being a Macro lens and the other being a Wide Angle lens, well this snap was taken using the Wide Angle attachment lens. The distortion you can see to the edges ie lamp posts leaning out etc is nothing to do with a fault with the lens just my camera angle ie pointing slightly downwards which I didn't correct in PP. The angle of view is pretty much the same angle of view as a 15mm lens would give in FF terms and the focal length of the lens on my RX10M4 was set at 50mm.

Just a simple landscape/seascape type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a "Harbour Scene".

RX10M4, 1/400th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Wide Angle Attachment, Handheld.
Harbour Scene (3)-03520 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

Very nice.

Do you need to set the lens to 50mm? What'll happen if you set it to some other length?

I had a couple of wide angle adapters for MFT but I stopped using them as I was worried about the weight on the lens but other than that one was rubbish and the other quite acceptable. Actually the rubbish one came in two parts and made a decent (but with lots of optical nasties adding character) close up lens if you took it apart and only used the macro bit so it wasn't a total loss. You're custom made lens looks much better.

Last edited:
Some of you may remember that I posted on here that I had a couple of attachment lenses made by a buddy of mine. One being a Macro lens and the other being a Wide Angle lens, well this snap was taken using the Wide Angle attachment lens. The distortion you can see to the edges ie lamp posts leaning out etc is nothing to do with a fault with the lens just my camera angle ie pointing slightly downwards which I didn't correct in PP. The angle of view is pretty much the same angle of view as a 15mm lens would give in FF terms and the focal length of the lens on my RX10M4 was set at 50mm.

Just a simple landscape/seascape type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of a "Harbour Scene".

Very nice! (y)
How big is the lens attachment?

Very nice, I need to pick your brains on processing B&W (y)

So, Sony are selling stacked sensors to Nikon it seems.

Possibly, it would make sense to continue to make money from Nikon. That being said, I'm sure I read somewhere that Nikon were developing their own sensor. Is it me or does that Z9 look lopsided? ;)

I hope it does well for Nikon. I'm personally glad Sony didn't make the A1 in the "big body format" like that, and the Canon R1.

The sensor business is separate to the camera business, they have done that to remain competitive and maintain neutrality.

Possibly, it would make sense to continue to make money from Nikon. That being said, I'm sure I read somewhere that Nikon were developing their own sensor. Is it me or does that Z9 look lopsided? ;)

I hope it does well for Nikon. I'm personally glad Sony didn't make the A1 in the "big body format" like that, and the Canon R1.

I believe all Nikon sports bodies use sensors developed by Nikon (to what extent I don't know). But the sensor in D5/6 isn't as good as ones in A9/A9II or 1DXm3. So based on history that's not a good thing.

Last edited:
Very nice, I need to pick your brains on processing B&W (y)

Thank you Toby, appreciate your reply.

"No particular system to my B&W processing, I just mess about with various sliders etc until the snap looks about right"

Last edited:
Very nice.

Do you need to set the lens to 50mm? What'll happen if you set it to some other length?

I had a couple of wide angle adapters for MFT but I stopped using them as I was worried about the weight on the lens but other than that one was rubbish and the other quite acceptable. Actually the rubbish one came in two parts and made a decent (but with lots of optical nasties adding character) close up lens if you took it apart and only used the macro bit so it wasn't a total loss. You're custom made lens looks much better.

Thank you Alan, appreciate your reply.

"The attachment lens will work at any focal length set on the lens but around the 50mm setting gives the most pleasing results to me. At settings wider than about 40mm distortions start to set in which I do not like. There's not really much point in using settings much longer than about 70mm ( which gives an angle of view to about 20mm in FF terms) because all you are doing then is putting a Wide Angle attachment onto a telephoto lens"

Very nice! (y)
How big is the lens attachment?

Thank you fellow snapper, appreciate your reply.

"The lens is a bit wider than the camera lens across its diameter and about 3.75 inches long. It does make the camera a tad front end heavy though as the attachment lens has seven elements"

Thank you fellow snapper, appreciate your reply.

"The lens is a bit wider than the camera lens across its diameter and about 3.75 inches long. It does make the camera a tad front end heavy though as the attachment lens has seven elements"

Thanks for the info that's actually not all that big tbh. If his services are available for the masses I certainly would be interested in talking to him.

Wow! It's either going to be a lemon optically or some kind of ingenious optical design that'll be super sharp :ROFLMAO:
I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m intrigued about the other lens announcements but I doubt there’ll be a new 70-200mm f2.8 unfortunately, I’m sure we’d have heard some rumour about that.

I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m intrigued about the other lens announcements but I doubt there’ll be a new 70-200mm f2.8 unfortunately, I’m sure we’d have heard some rumour about that.

I am also skeptical about the size claims. And if it is that small and as good as Z/RF versions optically it'll raise some serious questions about the large mount claims in my mind (which I am already very skeptical about)

I am also skeptical about the size claims. And if it is that small and as good as Z/RF versions optically it'll raise some serious questions about the large mount claims in my mind (which I am already very skeptical about)
Maybe they’re relying on heavy lens corrections?

I don't think I'll be buying the 50mm f1.2 as I expect it to be expensive and bulky, but a 16mm f1.8? That sounds nice but as I have the 20mm f1.8 I don't suppose I'll be buying that one either :(

I thought the point of this lens was to show the Canikon deniers that the Sony mount can take a f1.2 lens so if it's a dog the Canikon boys will be laughing all over the internet.

I suppose they'll sell if even half way good enough so I suppose it makes sense if they intend to make and sell them in relatively small numbers.

The Z version may be. The RF version I don't think so... its vignetting is close to 5 stops at f1.2.
Having said that even the 35GM has a fair bit of vignetting (about 3 stops). So let's wait and see.

I don't think I'll be buying the 50mm f1.2 as I expect it to be expensive and bulky, but a 16mm f1.8? That sounds nice but as I have the 20mm f1.8 I don't suppose I'll be buying that one either :(
I'd totally buy the 16mm f1.8 and sell my 20mm f1.8.

I thought the point of this lens was to show the Canikon deniers that the Sony mount can take a f1.2 lens so if it's a dog the Canikon boys will be laughing all over the internet.

I suppose they'll sell if even half way good enough so I suppose it makes sense if they intend to make and sell them in relatively small numbers.
I don’t know why it can’t take an f1.2 lens when you can get f0.95 lenses for it?

no not a huge lot but the plan is to do more. Not something I have been able to do pursue successfully but its on the list along with photographing northern lights.
I would like to try some astro stuff.
I'm about half an hour from an observatory in a dark sky area...

and I'm in London :(
I wouldn’t want to live in London but sometimes I wish I lived closer as it’d be great for street photography.

I don’t know why it can’t take an f1.2 lens when you can get f0.95 lenses for it?

It's because some of the Canikon lot are simply barking mad or maybe just in denial. On Luminous Landscape I told them multiple times that I had two f1.2 lenses that worked on my A7 and that there was at least one working f0.95 yet they still kept on insisting that the Sony mount was too small. Even when Sony issued a statement that the Sony mount would allow 0.6x (I forget exactly what the stated limit was but I think it was 0.6something) they still kept saying it. Such are fanboys on the net :D

Yes. I think so...

I'm considering this lens, but I got a little confused with the talk about Canon users thinking the Sony mount can't take a 1.2?

I'm considering this lens, but I got a little confused with the talk about Canon users thinking the Sony mount can't take a 1.2?

What Sony can't do changes with every lens.
First thing was Sony lens will need to be huge to be optically good. That's been disproved.
Then it was Sony can't have f1.2 AF lenses. That's been disproved.
Then it was the small mount is fine for UWA lenses but they got nothing 50mm upwards.
At moment it's Sony's 50mm f1.2 will have nothing over RF/Z versions and will be optically rubbish.

Basically the canikon fanboys desperately trying to hold on to their large mount BS. If anything these large mount lenses are larger, no better, and in half the cases worst than Sony versions.

So far I really don't see the point of these large mounts apart from canon IBIS being better than Sony. Not sure if that's a real advantage of the large mount.

Can anyone recommend a good loupe to help cleaning the sensor please? some of my images are showing a dust bunny but I can't see it when I open the camera up to look.

Can anyone recommend a good loupe to help cleaning the sensor please? some of my images are showing a dust bunny but I can't see it when I open the camera up to look.
long time back bought a really cheap one:

Still works and its good enough for me.

if i were buying today I'd spend slightly more on this one (the LEDs seems better placed):

But thought on the A9ii the shutter closed when changing lenses to prevent dust issues.

Last edited:
Back