The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sometimes I wonder about the 400 GM, I shoot a lot of sports for the schools...

Problem is it's usually 3-6 hours of photography, changing sports every hour with multiple matches simultaneously - spending 5-15 minutes at each game..

I think a 400GM would be pretty cumbersome.. the 100-400 is doing just fine

Last edited:

Problem is it's usually 3-6 hours of photography, changing sports every hour with multiple matches simultaneously - spending 5-15 minutes at each game..

I’d like a 300mm f2.8

I think this is where canon really shines.
You get native like tracking with lenses like sigma 120-300mm f2.8 sport. Add a 1.4x TC and you basically have a incredibly versatile combination for sports.

You will have to use mechanical shutter at the moment on R5 but I imagine canon will eventually come out with A1 competitor.

You will have to use mechanical shutter at the moment on R5 but I imagine canon will eventually come out with A1 competitor.

I stick with Sony because of the silent shooting, and I bought the A1 because they improved it with anti-flicker

I wonder if Canon plans to make eshutter a priority..

I stick with Sony because of the silent shooting, and I bought the A1 because they improved it with anti-flicker

I wonder if Canon plans to make eshutter a priority..
I thought the A9ii had anti-flicker?

Last edited:
Tried out the old Sigma 28-200 on our walk this afternoon. Strangely all my photos came out vintage-stylee. ;)

Oxfordshire Narrowboats yard by Anton Ertl, on Flickr

Just for fun.

Quite seriously though, I'd say that stopped down at the wider end this lens is probably comparable to the Sony 24-70 f4 that has such a bad rep (note that I have blurred the corners here, just in case anyone wants to get into discussion). At the long end the edges fall apart a bit more, but the centre holds sharpness acceptably, especially considering it's a 20YO superzoom.

In case anyones after a 70-350 Amazon are doing them for £599 today.

Morning everyone! After 13 years with Pentax I have now started my migration to Sony. A9 / Sigma 24-70 / Tamron 70-180 on order from Panamoz :) and hope to add a tele in the future. I had planned on migrating a year ago but obviously life was put on hold. Sadly my K5ii died a few months back so I've been without a camera ....

Anyway - I thought I should probably upgrade my memory cards as I haven't actually bought new ones for 8 years and I've just seen the price for the faster UHS-II :eek:. Anyone have recommendations? I've always bought Sandisk in the past and never had a card fail (even my original 4Gb cards from 13 years ago still work, though slowly!) but Sandisk also seem to be the most expensive. I've never heard of Prograde but I've also seen Manfrotto do their own brand now?

I realise I've just ordered almost £4k of gear so stumping up for memory cards isn't the biggest expense :)

I got the Sony 300mb/s cards, before tough were out.

Depends if you're likely to fill the buffer and need a fast clear

Hopefully not - I didn't often fill the buffer on my Pentax which was around 20ish RAW files, though it would take 4 seconds or so to take that many images then.

I don't really care about buffer on my a7R IV but the "not being able to change settings for some unknown reason when the card is being written to" is irritating.

My God how long does it take to write to your SD? I have a 128GB class 10 and it;s almost instant :)

We're not all legends like you though Les.

Nice to have some recognition at last- thank you ;)

Not a legend- I just have good gear & I asked you a civil question, no need for smart comments

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes about 40 seconds to clear the Sony A9 buffer to a fast card.

just for more incomparable data..

Last edited:
My God how long does it take to write to your SD? I have a 128GB class 10 and it;s almost instant :)
Not if you burst shoot, the A7RIV really frustrated me while it wrote to the card (y)

Last edited:
That's an amazing deal for a new one! Cheaper than grey import

I'd forgotten how much I'd paid for mine in October and it was £669 from E-infin. Their price is now £629 so yeah, great deal at Amazon at £599. Only lasts for 12 hours though.

Not Sony so maybe stop reading... Now...

I watched two reviews of the Sigma flp... Gerald Undone was baffled by it and Steve Huff loved it. So, fair to say it's a bit Marmite :D

And back to Sony.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 plus No.4 close up filter. I couldn't get close enough even with the filter as this leaf that caught my eye was quite small so 22% crop followed by 100%.

1nzrRrU.jpg

zwoUH5I.jpg

The sharpness seems to have suffered a bit by being posted here, but never mind. Just a moment in time :D

Last edited:
Morning everyone! After 13 years with Pentax I have now started my migration to Sony. A9 / Sigma 24-70 / Tamron 70-180 on order from Panamoz :) and hope to add a tele in the future. I had planned on migrating a year ago but obviously life was put on hold. Sadly my K5ii died a few months back so I've been without a camera ....

Anyway - I thought I should probably upgrade my memory cards as I haven't actually bought new ones for 8 years and I've just seen the price for the faster UHS-II :eek:. Anyone have recommendations? I've always bought Sandisk in the past and never had a card fail (even my original 4Gb cards from 13 years ago still work, though slowly!) but Sandisk also seem to be the most expensive. I've never heard of Prograde but I've also seen Manfrotto do their own brand now?

I realise I've just ordered almost £4k of gear so stumping up for memory cards isn't the biggest expense :)

I got a Manfrotto UHS-II card following recommendations in this thread and it's been great in my A9. Read speeds from my Kingston reader to computer is almost 100MB/s so I'm happy with that. This seemed like a good read: https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sony-a9/fastest-sd-cards-uhs-i-vs-uhs-ii/

I got mine at half price and they seem to do offers every now and then. At the moment there's an indirect half price offer in that if you buy two then the second one is only £1. It has to be two identical cards though, so bear in mind one of the A9 card slots is only UHS-I and not UHS-II. I run a dual setup where my photos save to the UHS-II slot and my videos save to the UHS-I slot.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f8.

There was a breeze so I just had to wait for the swing and press the button when I thought I'd hit it and I couldn't get anything like the DoF I wanted but hey-ho.

Same subject, just my perspective changing, both 75% crops.

94myFNH.jpg

xbOrVSf.jpg

I don't know what it would take to get these completely in the dof, clamping them in position or taking one indoors and focus stacking a whole load of shots maybe?

Last edited:
I got a Manfrotto UHS-II card following recommendations in this thread and it's been great in my A9. Read speeds from my Kingston reader to computer is almost 100MB/s so I'm happy with that. This seemed like a good read: https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sony-a9/fastest-sd-cards-uhs-i-vs-uhs-ii/

I got mine at half price and they seem to do offers every now and then. At the moment there's an indirect half price offer in that if you buy two then the second one is only £1. It has to be two identical cards though, so bear in mind one of the A9 card slots is only UHS-I and not UHS-II. I run a dual setup where my photos save to the UHS-II slot and my videos save to the UHS-I slot.

Perfect! Thank you
(y)

Guys, what's Einfiniy turn around times like for lens order - delivery please?

I've just been told my 35GM is being shipped from Sony on the 6th, so a few days in transit to the shop, then shipped out to me add a weekend...... So I'm going to see it what, w/c the 12th??

Guys, what's Einfiniy turn around times like for lens order - delivery please?

I've just been told my 35GM is being shipped from Sony on the 6th, so a few days in transit to the shop, then shipped out to me add a weekend...... So I'm going to see it what, w/c the 12th??

A friend ordered some lenses about 10 days ago and no sign of them yet.

I got a Techart adapter arrive today, allows autofocus with Leica M lenses

It does this be moving the whole lens back and forth by up to about 4.5mm

It is amazing... works with C-AF, tracking, eye detection - all taken my on Sony A9 with the Leica 28mm 1.4 Summilux

TechArt by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

It is amazing... works with C-AF, tracking, eye detection - all taken my on Sony A9 with the Leica 28mm 1.4 Summilux

Great shots. Beautiful dogs.

Great price Tommy -I used mine for hair light and similar for portraits and 360 flashes is enough for one outdoor shoot for me :)

Ended up having to get a refund from Lencarta as they made a mess of my order and said they couldn’t supply for a couple of weeks. Have just ordered one from Amazon.

Some U.K companies just make it hard to buy from them and there customer service is so poor. 5 days it has taken them to come back and tell me they can’t get the product and that is after assuring me on the phone that it would ship today and last Friday.

Thia is the second time they have made a complete mess of an order I have placed with them. I won’t be buying from them again.

Ooh nice. I just need to be able to afford Leica Lenses first :facepalm: :LOL: It’s still pickling my noodle how an adapter can turn manual lenses into AF ones o_O

Back