The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Flash on tripod off to the LHS as only wanted a half face, A7C + FE 55mm f1.8

Half Face by Dave, on Flickr
I wish I could be even half decent at using a flash. Im never happy with the outcome, always looks overexposed.

I wish I could be even half decent at using a flash. Im never happy with the outcome, always looks overexposed.
If it’s overexposed you need to adjust aperture, flash power and/or ISO. Also try not to use direct/non-diffused flash.

I was always affraid to try OCF and don't know why, it really is fun and I'm enjoying it at the moment. The mask shot was hardly any edit too, so was chuffed.

If it’s overexposed you need to adjust aperture, flash power and/or ISO. Also try not to use direct/non-diffused flash.
I'd just been using it in Auto, it also has TTL.
What confuses me is when it's in Auto and you set a nice fast shutter the picture goes dark so you don't know what it will look like with flash.

I’ve finally taken the plunge and ordered the Tamron 28-200! It’s currently £659 at Amazon and should eligible for the 5 year warranty too. That’s £10 cheaper and 2 more years warranty than Panamoz current price

In case anyone else is thinking of one:

I thought it would be something like. Impressive the crop sensor lens is sharper than the FF lens on crop bodies considering the FF lens should only be using the centre of the lens.
The 70-300mm is a much older design than the 70-350mm.
The 70-300mm is very good lens but the price tag is a bit high for what it is when you consider you equivalent quality for much less money from Canon (EF) or Nikon (F).
Then again you could compare it to the new Panasonic 70-300mm which is even more expensive but less sharp especially at 300mm

What has? :ROFLMAO:

The Sony 35 1.4 and I'm bloody glad to have been convinced to go for this over the Sigma. It's a lovely size combo with the A9, so I've no doubt the Sigma would have been far too big.

Lovely lens.

I’ve finally taken the plunge and ordered the Tamron 28-200! It’s currently £659 at Amazon and should eligible for the 5 year warranty too. That’s £10 cheaper and 2 more years warranty than Panamoz current price

took mine out today, still impressed by its sharpness (for a superzoom) even on A7RIV, long end wide open, cropped down to 5mp!

51081402573_8c37140c2f_b.jpg

I'd just been using it in Auto, it also has TTL.
What confuses me is when it's in Auto and you set a nice fast shutter the picture goes dark so you don't know what it will look like with flash.
Shutter speed doesn't affect flash power unless you're doing HSS (ie over the flash sync speed of your camera), it can of course affect the background exposure. TTL should give a decent exposure in most cases, I can only think that you have flash compensation set high?

Anyone waiting for a 100mp camera in 2022?

I suppose one plus point is all you'll need is just the one lens, a 24mm.

If they made it so that you could shoot at 25 megapixels in full frame for Sports and 35-40 in crop mode or so for increasing focal length both increasing speed in terms of FPS and buffer etc then they could have the perfect camera assuming A1/A9 like evf, sensor and af performance, While they are at it a decent back screen would be good

I wonder how long for? Somewhat tempted, but still reckon I'll find the wider wide end more useful.

Contax 80-200/4

I think the majority of my recent uploads have been with this.......!

by Lee, on Flickr
Great job with finding a spot to give the tree some separation. Can't make my mind up about the space on the right. With it being the lightest area. my eye is moving there but the shot is nicely balanced. A crop would lose probably lose as much or more as you could gain. Looks a lovely wood

I’m thinking of pairing it at some point with the tamron 17-28 for the wide end. The main use will hiking up fells/mountains where the wide end isn’t as big an issue.

That's the obvious pairing. I managed one trip out last week for some local scenery, and used my older Sigma 12-24 - it's left me battling with image quality a little bit, and wishing I had a more modern ultra-wide.

Great job with finding a spot to give the tree some separation. Can't make my mind up about the space on the right. With it being the lightest area. my eye is moving there but the shot is nicely balanced. A crop would lose probably lose as much or more as you could gain. Looks a lovely wood

Yeah, I get where you are coming from. Panning left included too much of the dark 'foreground' tree. Moving right slightly & panning left put the autumn sapling in front of that bunch of background trees - iirc correctly, there was a tree right next to me also..... Believe me, I did pour a coffee whilst I was trying to find the best balance :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you :)

And they said the pixel war was over ... :D
It's inevitable that pixel count will continue to rise, some will want it for specific reasons, some will want it because they fall for the marketing, and some will be happy with the lower res sensors (y)

From Raw on A7Siii
The stills from it being only 12mp puts people off but they seem pretty good, I don't think it will be an issue most you of the time unless you want to crop in a fair bit.
There is the new super resolution thing too - not used here.

DSC00014.jpg

This has been upscaled then resized down again, it went to a 150mb .DNG :oops: :$
Clearly not normally sensible if just putting online.

supered.jpg

Last edited:
Saw this story and wondered if anyone here had been similarly affected?
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...s-result-in-class-action-lawsuit-against-sony
I saw that on fstoppers. I’d like to see the data on whether there really is an issue or not. The fact it’s US and they sue for practically anything makes me wonder too (and that a replacement A7iv will likely be out this year)

It all sounded to me like they don’t really understand Mean Time To Failure and how it’s calculated. Just because it says rated at 200k that doesn’t mean every shutter will last to 200k. Some will fall short and some go on beyond that figure (bell shaped distribution).

From Raw on A7Siii
The stills from it being only 12mp puts people off but they seem pretty good, I don't think it will be an issue most you of the time unless you want to crop in a fair bit.

I suppose people just get used to the benefits they see in more mp's.

Back when I had Canon DSLR's resolution didn't cross my radar just as it didn't when I used film cameras. I made A3 prints from my 8mp 20D and I think from earlier lower mp cameras but in those days I didn't crop much. I did at the time think that the 12mp 5D was all I'd ever need. I started cropping heavily with MFT as I started cropping to 100% even for flower and detail shots and they filled the screen just fine. I crop heavily from my A7 too and they're fine for viewing on screen which is mostly what I do.

I think I probably would notice going back to 12mp now but the way around that is to use the right lens and frame your shot so you don't need to do a heavy crop.

There's been a lot of people of FB that seem to have had issues, and having to pay to get it sorted.
But then, it is one of Sony's top sellers, so it depends on how many have been affected vs how many have been sold....
I does depend on what you define as 'a lot'.
I think there have been some people who have been very vocal about it on Facebook - but how many is difficult to determine.
As you say, it's all a question of numbers.

Saw this story and wondered if anyone here had been similarly affected?
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...s-result-in-class-action-lawsuit-against-sony

Haven't had the A7III but have had the A7RII and A7RIII with similar rated shutters. they've all been fine.
And tbh Americans will sue companies and start law suits almost out of nothing. Trump going to court over election fraud is prime example of this.
who cares if you have real actual evidence :p

Also I find it hard to believe that Sony is not keen doing a recall and fixing faulty shutters for free because they have done several recalls on lenses in the past inc. one recently for the newly announced 35GM lens. Doesn't seem to line up.

Has There not been issues in the past though with other manufacturers denying issues with their cameras until the complaints rack up and the press get wind of it?

Has There not been issues in the past though with other manufacturers denying issues with their cameras until the complaints rack up and the press get wind of it?
might have been, I do not know the details.
Doesn't seem like something Sony has been doing in recent times just going by their lens recalls. Basically all i am saying it doesn't point to a previous behaviour of Sony.

It could well be a cultural issue too as some Japanese people and companies still have issues with honour and loss of face and this can lead to hiding problem issues in cupboards and at least subconsciously sticking fingers in ears and singing lalalala.

I've seen this in my product days, not cameras, other stuff.

Back