The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

My first pano with the 35mm 1.4. I really need to start using my old Flickr account so I can upload larger sizes. Not the best photo to show off the lens to be honest, I have to wonder what the A7Riv would be like with regard to detail in a stitched pano.

Still editing more, most are family shots and I can already see before editing that they look awesome. The shallow dof at 35mm is quite striking, perhaps because it's more common to see such dof with longer focal lengths?

Finlaystone House Resized.jpg

Just tested my LF1 and unfortunately the sensor contamination shows up even wide open so it's going back. That's two cameras bought off evil bay and both with obvious and unacceptable faults.

Is there anything I can buy new rather than taking chance after chance on evil bay? I want a credit card footprint or not much bigger, raw, the ability to shoot aperture and manual and for it to be genuinely pocketable. My TZ100 is way too big to be genuinely pocketable and that'll go for the Sony RX100 too.

Just tested my LF1 and unfortunately the sensor contamination shows up even wide open so it's going back. That's two cameras bought off evil bay and both with obvious and unacceptable faults.

Is there anything I can buy new rather than taking chance after chance on evil bay? I want a credit card footprint or not much bigger, raw, the ability to shoot aperture and manual and for it to be genuinely pocketable. My TZ100 is way too big to be genuinely pocketable and that'll go for the Sony RX100 too.

How about the HX99, only about 7mm thicker and ticks all the other boxes I think?

WHIMP!

I'm sure it'll only last a day, even for a BIG WHIMP!

:D
Nope, no idea, maybe it's a gene thing, but my first dose floored me for 3 days to the point where I was worried they had made a mistake and given me a live jab by mistake.

Looks like i found a a7 iii in the classify.

First I'd like to something between 30mm and 40mm likely a 35mm.

What a good not too expensive and not too big 35mm?

First i was thinking at the samysang 1.8 but review point at very soft result when close up which i think I would not like.
Then there is the sony 1.8 which seem a bit expensive for what it is and the lot of CA?

What about the tamron 35mm 1.8?

Looks like i found a a7 iii in the classify.

First I'd like to something between 30mm and 40mm likely a 35mm.

What a good not too expensive and not too big 35mm?

First i was thinking at the samysang 1.8 but review point at very soft result when close up which i think I would not like.
Then there is the sony 1.8 which seem a bit expensive for what it is and the lot of CA?

What about the tamron 35mm 1.8?

Sony 35 f1.8. It’s a super lens. Well worth it.

A7r3 now in Classifieds...

How about the HX99, only about 7mm thicker and ticks all the other boxes I think?
Yes, just found that myself on amazon. I'll have another look but that looks OK apart from the pop up EVF.

Struggling to find much about the tamron 35mm f1,8
Does it really exist, is it a sony full frame mount?

That's a DSLR lens. Tamron doesn't make a 35mm f1.8 the mirrorless. They only make a 35mm f2.8 for Sony e-mount.
Your options are:
Sony FE 35mm f1.8
Samyang 35mm f1.8 AF FE
Sigma 35mm f2 DN
Tamron 35mm f2.8 (has 1:2 macro capability)
Samyang 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4
Samyang 35mm f1.4 AF FE
Sigma ART 35mm f1.4 (this is a DSLR "bastardised" to work on e-mount)
Sony FE 35mm f1.4 GM
Sigma ART 35mm f1.2 DN

Plus there's a bunch of Zeiss, voigtlander and laowa native manual primes.

Last edited:
So impressed with the 35GM after using it extensively at yesterdays wedding.

I knew it was good after using for a couple of things, but you never know just how good until you have used it for work. Ridiculous lens.

Care to add some context? What’s so great about it and what’s it offering over the other 35mm’s available?

Care to add some context? What’s so great about it and what’s it offering over the other 35mm’s available?
Small, light, sharp, fast, renders very nicely.
It's basically like the sigma art 85/1.4 DN. Sigma compromises on distortion correction. Sony compromises on vignetting correction. Both corrected easily enough in post.

A.F is faster and more responsive than any of the other options, it is ridiculously sharp, colours are nice and rendering is fantastic.

Just had another look and that pop up and pull out evf kills it for me. Oh well. I probably wont bother now.

Once upon a time I might have considered these new f1.4 or even f1.2 primes but these days I just think they're big fat lumps I don't want to carry about and point at people or even things.

PlkQTiq.jpg

These days even the likes of the 35 and 55mm f1.8 seem big to me and I often don't like the zero dof zero context look.

As always more power to those who want these lenses and the look they give or maybe need the extra light gathering capability.

That's a DSLR lens. Tamron doesn't make a 35mm f1.8 the mirrorless. They only make a 35mm f2.8 for Sony e-mount.
Your options are:
Sony FE 35mm f1.8
Samyang 35mm f1.8 AF FE
Sigma 35mm f2 DN
Samyang 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4
Samyang 35mm f1.4 AF FE
Sony FE 35mm f1.4 GM
Sigma ART 35mm f1.2 DN

That is a fair big choice!

What are your favorite when size and money matter - cheap and small ;-)

I like the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. It's beautifully made and it's tiny, manual focus only though. For AF I like the tiny Sony f2.8 but the larger Sony f1.8 gives you more low light capability and it focuses more closely.

PS.
The Sigma 35mm f2 could be worth a look.

Last edited:
Your options are:
Sony FE 35mm f1.8
Samyang 35mm f1.8 AF FE
Sigma 35mm f2 DN
Samyang 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8
Sony Zeiss 35mm f1.4
Samyang 35mm f1.4 AF FE
Sony FE 35mm f1.4 GM
Sigma ART 35mm f1.2 DN

I remember a couple of years ago when we were all complaining that aside from the Zeiss lenses there were no 35mm options :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Write them all down. Google prices, size, weight, aperture..... Eventually you'll get down to a smaller list to pick from ;)

One of Sony 35mm f1.8 or samyang 35mm f1.8 or sigma 35mm f2. They all offer and excel in sightly different ways. Sigma is probably the best all rounder of the bunch.

A few from Leighton Moss RSPB yesterday. All taken with A7iii & Sigma 150-600C (except Mallard, taken with Canon 200mm f/2.8L)

1: Blue Tit
DSC02220-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

2: Chaffinch
DSC02250-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

3: Nuthatch
DSC02414-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

4: Robin
DSC02284-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

5: Another Robin
DSC02295-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

6: Great Tit
DSC02342-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

7: Mallard
DSC02438-Edit by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Last edited:
Once upon a time I might have considered these new f1.4 or even f1.2 primes but these days I just think they're big fat lumps I don't want to carry about and point at people or even things.

PlkQTiq.jpg

These days even the likes of the 35 and 55mm f1.8 seem big to me and I often don't like the zero dof zero context look.

As always more power to those who want these lenses and the look they give or maybe need the extra light gathering capability.

I have to admit I super glad I didn't get the Sigma 35 1.2 as the Sony 35 1.4 is big enough, but it is very light and I barely notice it on my shoulder.

The dof isn't as razor shallow as I'd expected, perhaps due to the focal length and that I don't get very close, but it does a great job of separating my subject. I did go close to a flower and yes the dof is pretty extreme lol

Not getting too close is a key thing as when you do that even with a 35mm lens you may end up with minimal depth.

Again, this is just my personal thing but with people pictures I usually want the whole head reasonably sharp and generally want some context not just a swirling nothingness of bokeh no matter how smooth. f1.x when used for full body plus some space is one thing and a tight half body is quite another and something that I wouldn't want to do too often. As always more power to people who like and want that look.

I've posted this link several times but some may not have read it.

Hi Guys,

Am I right in saying the current firmware for the a9 is version 6 ?

First dibs if you do find one please :)

Fair play to you. I couldn't own that much as the time spent deciding what to take I'd miss sunrise :)

Kinda the reason I went with 28-200mm.
Sure it's not the sharpest lenses in bag but it makes sure I don't miss a moment which trumps all the very sharp missed shots :p

Kinda the reason I went with 28-200mm.
Sure it's not the sharpest lenses in bag but it makes sure I don't miss a moment which trumps all the very sharp missed shots :p

I think I've used the 40/1.2 & Contax 80-200/4 this year according to my Flickr images. I might have taken a few of the dog with the 85mm. I haven't used the 21/3.5.

I think I've used the 40/1.2 & Contax 80-200/4 this year according to my Flickr images. I might have taken a few of the dog with the 85mm. I haven't used the 21/3.5.

My most used prime is 85mm and most used zoom is 200-600mm. Followed by 24 and 45mm (now replaced with 35GM)
My UWA has mostly been for just trying, testing and making sure they work lol.
I have kinda fallen out of love with UWA lenses...

Last edited:
My most used lens at the mo is the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 as with a close up filter it does most things I want apart from AF.

Back