The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Why melt your brain with all this?

In good light if you want to blur water and clouds a bit a few seconds will do, if you want to blast everything completely to silk you'll be looking at 20-30 seconds.

So, set your ISO to base, compose your shot, focus and then load up the ND's until your target shutter speed is reached.

I always melt my brain but it's how I've learnt what I know about photography so far. I like melting my brain. :LOL:

As I said, I no longer own a dark 10 stop. When I want up to a couple of seconds at the coast/waterfall I just stick the filter on & use Av or M along with the histogram/live view as I would for a 'normal' image to balance all the variables out.

If it worked out at 1 second & you went over 1 second it would obviously be over exposed. It's a case of balancing the aperture/ISO as you would normally to get the shutter speed you desire.

Yeah true, it would be overexposed. What I really was trying to say was that I might take a shot correctly exposed, say a 1 second exposure, but perhaps it might not give me the desired effect, i.e. a silkier sky or even smoother water. So presumably that would need a longer exposure. But yeah, I'd then need to change to a smaller aperture like somewhere between F10 to f16 to be able to get a 30 second exposure or thereabouts such as wookie's photos. Sorry, I'm just trying figure it out in my mind. I'm sure it will all become apparent when I get the filter and try it out.. :D

You had to do that with DSLRs as you simply couldn't see what you were shooting or focus with the filter on. That is why I liked square filter as you didn't knock focus or exposure as easily when putting an ND in. With the Sony mirrorless you can still focus if there is a 10 stop assuming the exposure is ale to be seen on the screen or evf. I focused through the filters today which is a nice advantage over dslrs.

Ah right, that's cool as I thought it always had to be manual focusing before putting any ND filter on.

Last edited:
I always melt my brain but it's how I've learnt what I know about photography so far. I like melting my brain. :LOL:

Yeah true, it would be overexposed. What I really was trying to say was that I might take a shot correctly exposed, say a 1 second exposure, but perhaps it might not give me the desired effect, i.e. a silkier sky or even smoother water. So presumably that would need a longer exposure. But yeah, I'd then need to change to a smaller aperture like somewhere between F10 to f16 to be able to get a 30 second exposure or thereabouts such as wookie's photos. Sorry, I'm just trying figure it out in my mind. I'm sure it will all become apparent when I get the filter and try it out.. :D

Ah right, that's cool as I thought it always had to be manual focusing before putting any ND filter on.

The AF worked on my A7R iv focussing through the filters so I presume it would with other Sony camera. I'm new to teh brand though so may depend how well the camera focusses but definitely give it a go

The AF worked on my A7R iv focussing through the filters so I presume it would with other Sony camera. I'm new to teh brand though so may depend how well the camera focusses but definitely give it a go

Now I'm trying to think of some epic places to go and do some long exposure. Might need to take a drive down to brighton or somewhere like that for some nice sea shots,

Now I'm trying to think of some epic places to go and do some long exposure. Might need to take a drive down to brighton or somewhere like that for some nice sea shots,

The only time I've really liked long exposures is for night time shooting (and that doesn't really count in this conversation) and for making silly shots, like making people look like ghosts or movement shots :D

I missed Brighton last year. I have been every year for around 15 years for our Union Conference. No visit this year either.

Longish telephoto exposures down there too

Brighton Pier by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Long telephoto exposures

Brighton Pier by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

and just long exposures

West Pier by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Lovely tele landscapes everyone.

It always baffles me when people post "What landscape lens" threads and it seems to be assumed that Landscape = Wide Angle.

Talking of wide lenses.

The rumor site has leaked pictures of the Sony 14mm f1.8. This'd make a great landscape lens ;)

Who's buying?

I agree- I'm not a landscape photographer- my widest lens ( on a Full Frame a7Riv) would be my Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART lens- so around 16mm in crop I think?? I have never used it so I am considering selling it :)

q3yJPXV.jpg

Les

Last edited by a moderator:

It always baffles me when people post "What landscape lens" threads and it seems to be assumed that Landscape = Wide Angle.

Talking of wide lenses.

The rumor site has leaked pictures of the Sony 14mm f1.8. This'd make a great landscape lens ;)

Who's buying?

No filter thread though :(
I'm still interested. Will probably get one I think.
Depends on the size, price and weight also though.

No filter thread though :(
I'm still interested. Will probably get one I think.
Depends on the size, price and weight also though.

There may be some sort of bucket hood arrangement like the Sigma 12-24mm had, but there may still be vignetting as there was with the 12-24mm until you got to the longer end.

I'd imagine one use for this lens could be astro and another could be vlogging, dunno if a filter would be important to these groups but for others there's often been difficulty using filters with wide lenses.

I agree- I'm not a landscape photographer- my widest lens ( on a Full Frame a7Riv) would be my Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART lens- so around 16mm in crop I think?? I have never used it so I am considering selling it :)

Les

I quite like 24mm as it's wide but not so wide that you have to take especially careful care, if you know what I mean. I'm mostly a 35 or 50mm guy though.

For a while my 12-24mm was my most used lens so I can definitely see the appeal in this 14mm f1.8.

I quite like 24mm as it's wide but not so wide that you have to take especially careful care, if you know what I mean. I'm mostly a 35 or 50mm guy though.

For a while my 12-24mm was my most used lens so I can definitely see the appeal in this 14mm f1.8.

I have 2 camera bodies a7Riv and a7Riii neither of these do I shoot in APS-C mode- but as you say will be useful for those that do :)

I also have 35mm 50mm and 85 mm lenses, that I do, use on full frame

Has there been any more news on the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, it all seems to have gone quiet?

I thought about the 20G for wide AND astro.

But I have the Voigtlander 21/3.5 & a Samyang 24/1.4 PLUS...... I actually used the 35GM for astro the other night too!

My latest old lens buy arrived today but I can't play with it as I need an M42-Sony adapter and the one that also arrived today said M42-Sony on the little plastic box but when I opened it it was a Nikon adapter, so I'll have to wait.

One plus is that the lens came with a 49mm Hoya circular polariser attached, so that's nice. It'll fit quite a few of my old lenses.

After giving up all hope of my new kit arriving on Thursday, it did indeed turn up - at 21:20!!
Charged the battery overnight and was all set to travel further afield as travel restrictions were lifted here yesterday.
Went for a wander up the NE Coastline where I took the a7R3 + 200-600 and my new a7c kit + Sony 20mm for company.
Must admit, this new kit lens is pretty good :giggle:

Newburgh Wreck by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Newburgh Beach by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Ythan Estuary by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

NE Coastline by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

After giving up all hope of my new kit arriving on Thursday, it did indeed turn up - at 21:20!!
Charged the battery overnight and was all set to travel further afield as travel restrictions were lifted here yesterday.
Went for a wander up the NE Coastline where I took the a7R3 + 200-600 and my new a7c kit + Sony 20mm for company.
Must admit, this new kit lens is pretty good :giggle:

Newburgh Wreck by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Newburgh Beach by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Ythan Estuary by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

NE Coastline by Mike Stephen, on Flickr
Nice shots! Visited there last July whilst staying with my nephew near Huntly. Beautiful coastline.

Nice shots! Visited there last July whilst staying with my nephew near Huntly. Beautiful coastline.
Cheers Steve.
The East Coast has as much to offer than the more popular West Coast but thankfully, visitors and photographers choose to flock to the West.
This part of the coastline along with the Moray coast are spectacular!!
Afterall, National Geographic can't be wrong :LOL:

Well, my new kit arrived on Thursday night and this was the box it came in.
I was hoping E-Infinity had made a huge mistake but no such luck LOL
Interesting that means they'll be advertising it soon on their site. It's on live yet.

Talking of wide lenses.

Who's buying?
It will be too expensive for me considering how little I'd use a 14mm. I wouldn't need f1.8 on it either.

These are very nice, I've never been sure how to do this kind of look. Do you expose for the face and pull back some highlight in post or do you underexpose and push the shadow? Or maybe a family recipe that cannot be shared?

Thanks! You first of all make sure they’re back to the sun when it’s low. Not side on, directly at their back. Then take a photo that looks well exposed for both, the actual background and this side of the person is very similar in terms of exposure as effectively their face is in the shade. There isn’t much to be pulled exposure wise but I often add a barely noticeable radial filter just to enhance them. I will post the SOOC if I remember later but the exposure isn’t as hard as you’d think it was. Give it a go!

My contribution to the staying at home theme.

Just trying my Chinon 28mm f2.8. This is a bit of a torture test for the bokeh as the cabinet full of books and CD's can look rough. I am rather impressed with this though, for an old and cheap film era prime.

wXAIjIs.jpg

As expected it has some vignetting but it's certainly sharp in the central area. I hope the sharpness survives the posting process.

UlXPhdM.jpg

It does seem to be a nice cheap 28mm f2.8 with no significant vices.

zsPxvmN.jpg

I'm looking forward to being able to take these two, Chinon 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 out as a pair. These two complete my council house prime set :D

Last edited:
Back