The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The larger battery in the 1D series also have more voltage so could drive the motors faster in the lens from what i remember .

Rob.

That a great set, especially that I just ordered a samyang 18mm today from ebay so now i'm looking forward to receiving it.

I intend to use mine more for astrophoto but always nice to have a wide lens in the bag for big landscape.

Thanks Thomas.

I'm amazed at how sharp the little Samyang 18mm is. At f18 I can see no visible diffraction and I didn't need to focus stack either.

I think you'll love it.

Glad I bought it as even as high as I was I needed 18mm to compose as I wanted. Everything's huge in Snowdonia.

That's a great shot.

I was hoping the MW would settle above Tryfan but it's too early in the year.

This was my best effort but it appears I need to brush up on my MW processing skills.

Caught a bonus meteor though.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kTtbwS]Milky Way by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

Nice one, Scotland is tricky for this kind of stuff has there's not so much darkness in the good month of the year.
I think sept/oct are better for milky way but i'm not an expert I could be wrong.

I use to have a nikon 20mm, I think I'll like the 18mm too. I think 14mm is getting very wide and it's hard to make compositions that is not totally squints trying to include a lot of sky. You can always stich 18mm vertical frames too.

Last edited:
All these GM lenses look good but gosh that is a lot of money for a lens with fairly limited use.
Totally pointless to choose the GM over the Sammy.

For the amount of use it'll get.

Logical people without GAS shouldn't be on this thread :coat:

next thing you'll be suggesting using lenses to take pictures!!

The Takumar 50mm f1.4 I bought looked quite yellow but after sitting on the windowsill it's cleared a lot, very largely gone now. Any residual colouration is now no worse than I'd expect to see. I've put it back there until the adapter arrives but I'm hoping the yellowing is why it was a bit cheaper than the others I looked at. Maybe the seller didn't know it'd clear so easily?

Also found a Takumar 28mm f3.5 to go with it for what I think is a very reasonable £60. This one was at a UK shop so I don't expect any issues if it needs to go back.

So, my lens collection is compete! :D Assuming these work ok once the adapter shows up.

Last edited:

No, they’ll be putting them in bags they don’t know they have then forgetting they had them (naming no names). :rolleyes:

B******ds.

The company I bought the Takumar 28mm off have refunded me as they say it sold over the weekend. I knew it was too cheap to be true.

It's an essential purchase. The 50mm needs someone to keep it company.

I found another on line, it's more expensive but it's only money.

I do sadly experience GAS too, as I have just bought into new camera system and lenses. Just trying to keep it to "sensible" level of GAS, don't want to reach the "selling a kidney / taking a morgage" level yet.

Sony 14mm f1.8 to be announced tomorrow at 15:00, says the rumor site.

I'll be out but Happy Viewing to those who can watch :D

Totally love this, great image.

Cheers Dave, I always find myself drawn to taking pics of things with a central perspective and wanted to give this one a sort of slightly surreal look. :)

That's a great shot.

I was hoping the MW would settle above Tryfan but it's too early in the year.

This was my best effort but it appears I need to brush up on my MW processing skills.

Caught a bonus meteor though.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kTtbwS]Milky Way by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

I usually use the Samyang 24/1.4 but seeing as I had the 35GM in the bag....... Thought I'd try it.

I was mainly trying to shoot separate foregrounds to blend in PP. Forgetting the intervelometer made that more difficult though :rolleyes: Hence I left the red light painted foreground in......

I do like what you've done though with silhouetted mountains. Works really well imo

Just a couple of snaps taken with my A7 and Chinon 28mm f2.8. I hope to be able to get out for an hour later and if I do I'll take this combination with me.

MVGJ94U.jpg

waRBas4.jpg

The only test I hadn't done with my little Chinon collection was to check flare resistance so this morning I took some pictures with the sun in or around the frame and performance isn't too bad.

PS.
I've just spotted she's wearing my shoes again. She has her own plastic shoes so why does she always wear mine?

Last edited:
My M42 to Sony adapter arrived and I could try my Takumar 50mm f1.4.

First thing I noticed that when focusing on the hill I expected focus to be achieved at just a bit less than infinity, between 30m and infinity, but with this adapter and lens I hit focus between 7 and 10ft, 2/3m. I've got another M42 lens arriving later this week so I'll check that out. Apart from not being able to set the focus to be there abouts before looking through the evf I don't suppose there should be any problem, minimum focus distance doesn't seem to be affected.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Apart from that from reading reviews I was expecting this lens to be pretty soft at f1.4 but I think it's easily sharp enough in the central area. The bokeh can be rough with a complex background though.

Last edited:
That is actually a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

This one isn’t for me though I rarely shoot anything that wide.
its actually the same price as sigma!
not to mention it seems to perform better, smaller and lighter by a lot.

My M42 to Sony adapter arrived and I could try my Takumar 50mm f1.4.

First thing I noticed that when focusing on the hill I expected focus to be achieved at just a bit less than infinity, between 30m and infinity, but with this adapter and lens I hit focus between 7 and 10ft, 2/3m. I've got another M42 lens arriving later this week so I'll check that out. Apart from not being able to set the focus to be there abouts before looking through the evf I don't suppose there should be any problem, minimum focus distance doesn't seem to be affected.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Apart from that from reading reviews I was expecting this lens to be pretty soft at f1.4 but I think it's easily sharp enough in the central area. The bokeh can be rough with a complex background though.
I’ve got an M42 Cosmagon 57mm on a cheapo adapter with no infinity issues. Had to loosen the grub screws on the adapter to let the markings appear facing upwards, but otherwise fine. Wonder if the lens has been “repaired” and some error in reassembly has occured?

EDIT I did have a manual Samyang (can’t remember the f/l) in my m4/3 days which was out at infinity, but that’s without an adapter.

Last edited:
I really don't know.

I suppose the way to find out is to try another lens or another adapter. I have another lens coming, expected Friday, so that may help me fault find.

It's something I've never seen before though.

Back