The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Out seeing if the Bluebells are worth shooting and trying to get an ICM image for next weeks camera club meet. A bit early for the bluebells and hats off to anyone who gets good ICMs. Such a difficult thing to see what will work
_A7R9254 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A7R9252 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A7R9251a by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
Dalkeith CC by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

ICM isn't really my thing but I'd turn off the IBIS as it works against you and I'd start with a shutter speed around 1/5s and reduce it slowly till you get something that works for you. Possibly practice with smaller, wider angle lenses too.

Last edited:
ICM isn't really my thing but I'd turn off the IBIS as it works against you and I'd start with a shutter speed around 1/5s and reduce it slowly till you get something that works for you. Possibly practice with smaller, wider angle lenses too.
The 100-400 was on the camera but I think you are right about wider lenses.

The 100-400 was on the camera but I think you are right about wider lenses.

I knew I'd find at least one ICM in my library :ROFLMAO: (still not my thing :p )
18711195393_4ff2b4acdd_b.jpg

I have a few similar Bluebell ones. I like 2 and 3, really nice and that is what I am after, movement but still shape and recognition of what is there. Saying that I have no idea what number 2 is but I like it.

Thanks. It's actually a street in old Jerusalem around dusk, the lights hanging between the houses creating those shapes.

Fab shot. Out of interest, why the iii over the iv?

I keep the A7Riv for studio portrait stuff and hopefully a few Weddings booked for a little later this year Plus the A7Riv is new and never been outside lol

The a7Riii is more than adequate for what I use it for :)

Les :)

It is a big day in Scotland. Some positive political news and just importantly for me at least the chance of my team reaching another Scottish Cup Final. I decided to photograph Easter Road as the sun was rising behind the stadium and I got lucky with a nice bit of light. Very unusual to arrive at a sunrise location at 4.30am and have 20 or so people beat you there. Such is the popularity of Edinburgh that even in these times there is always a few tourists taking in the stunning views.

The first is a 250 megapixel Pano
Easter Road Semi Final Sunrise by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
got mine from LCE too. Luckily didn't have the Zeiss baggage ;)

incredible lens. possibly the best 35mm I have used,
now if they make a small-ish 85mm f1.2 my primes will be complete.

I think it helped that I bought the Zeiss from them originally and still had the original receipt in the box. They shouldn't have (clearly didn't) have a problem with its condition in both lens and package.

Now do I upgrade the 50 Zeiss to the GM too…...

Last edited:
I think it helped that I bought the Zeiss from them originally and still had the original receipt in the box. They should have (clearly didn't) have a problem with its condition in both lens and package. I only ordered it 2 weeks ago too.

Now do I upgrade the 50 Zeiss to the GM too…...

apparently its the best 50mm around now, certainly the fastest focussing f1.2 lens. So might be worth it for you... I personally don't use it much.
My most used prime is 85mm and I'd prefer a f1.2 in this focal length.

apparently its the best 50mm around now, certainly the fastest focussing f1.2 lens. So might be worth it for you... I personally don't use it much.
My most used prime is 85mm and I'd prefer a f1.2 in this focal length.

My most used lens is the 35 by far, about 50% in a wedding day is on the 35mm so it’s worth it and I would say the 50/85 shares about equal amount but for travel i would leave the 85 at home and rather take the 35 or 50.

My most used lens is the 35 by far, about 50% in a wedding day is on the 35mm so it’s worth it and I would say the 50/85 shares about equal amount but for travel i would leave the 85 at home and rather take the 35 or 50.

you'll want to cover your ears eyes....

I take a small f1.8 prime for travelling :ROFLMAO:
might start taking the 35mm now, its not that big neither is the sigma 85mm f1.4 tbh.

Last edited:
Already have the 85GM so no point doing a side step to the Sigma just for the size reduction. It’ll be throwing money down the bin essentially.

well the sigma is cheaper than the GM, it also has better AF.

I would need to part ex the GM for the sigma, probably at parity (but less than I paid for the GM). Then when I come to sell the sigma, it will be lower value again.

So I’m losing money, twice.

As for AF, I used the Canon 85/1.2 for like a decade lol

Interesting thing is that SIgma 85 didn’t score as well as the G.M on the A1 and the 85GM is one of the best performing lenses for the A1 supposedly.

It’s all subjective but having used them both side by side the G.M renders much nicer than the Sigma for me. Can’t say I noticed that much difference in a.f performance either the Sigma was quicker in non backlit situations but slower in back lit situations.

I wouldn’t be giving up my G.M for the Sigma. There has been talk for a while the 85GM may get an update to have the same motors as the 135, that I would consider.

Last edited:
Interesting thing is that SIgma 85 didn’t score as well as the G.M on the A1 and the 85GM is one of the best performing lenses for the A1 supposedly.

It’s all subjective but having used them both side by side the G.M renders much nicer than the Sigma for me. Can’t say I noticed that much difference in a.f performance either the Sigma was quicker in non backlit situations but slower in back lit situations.

I wouldn’t be giving up my G.M for the Sigma. There has been talk for a while the 85GM may get an update to have the same motors as the 135, that I would consider.
Where are you seeing scores with the A1, and does it show the A9-II as well? DXO only has the R2 and R4 :(

Where are you seeing scores with the A1, and does it show the A9-II as well? DXO only has the R2 and R4 :(

Seen it on Facebook it’s the same guy that does all the tests every time they release a new body. Think it may have been on Sony Rumours as well. He did one previously for the A92

I don't see how GM would be better on A1 when its not on A7RIV if you are talking just sharpness.
As for AF 85GM can do 20fps and sigma can do 15fps on A1. but sigma is noticeably smoother tracking wise (not to mention also silent)
There is really no problem with sigma in backlit situation, its FUD spread on the interwebz.

We are splitting hairs here and the truth is that if you have one or the other, there is no point spending money to switch to the other one.

I don't see how GM would be better on A1 when its not on A7RIV if you are talking just sharpness.
As for AF 85GM can do 20fps and sigma can do 15fps on A1. but sigma is noticeably smoother tracking wise (not to mention also silent)
There is really no problem with sigma in backlit situation, its FUD spread on the interwebz.

It isn’t FUD I have used both side by side and the G.M performed much better in backlit situations both in terms of image quality and in terms of a.f.

Anyway found a link to that table on the A1 pretty sure it’s the same one I seen on Facebook.

Edit - actually that’s a different one and this one says the Sigma is sharper which is more what you would expect.

Will link the other one when I come across it again, I can’t remember what metrics was used for testing but it wasn’t just sharpeness.

Last edited:
It isn’t FUD I have used both side by side and the G.M performed much better in backlit situations both in terms of image quality and in terms of a.f.

Anyway found a link to that table on the A1 pretty sure it’s the same one I seen on Facebook.

Edit actually that’s a diffeent one and this one says the Sigma is sharper which is more what you would expect.
Ahh right it’s just a subjective definition rather than actual scores. I’d like to find actual scores for lenses with the A9-II, it’s a pain DXO only test on a select few camera bodies.

Edit actually that’s a diffeent one and this one says the Sigma is sharper which is more what you would expect.

GM does retain slightly more contrast in backlit situations but sigma is pretty close and can be easily fixed in PP.

As for the link I don't really trust him fully, but according to that table sigma is "outstanding" while 85GM is two steps behind at only "very good" (I think GM is better than just "very good"). even samyang is better at "excellent" rating according to him.

Last edited:
Ahh right it’s just a subjective definition rather than actual scores. I’d like to find actual scores for lenses with the A9-II, it’s a pain DXO only test on a select few camera bodies.

DXO haven’t been relevant in years. A lot of years back there was a lot of questions asked from them about their testing process and they took a whole huff and stopped reviewing cameras and lenses altogether for a good long time. They only brought it back when there advertising revenue from the website dropped through the floor due to loss of traffic.

Back