The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Thanks, we're going to head out not far from Rhosydd this afternoon, Conwy falls and Fairy Glen.
Bit of a bust this dog walk, you can't get to the bottom of Conwy falls anymore as it's fenced off, and even if you could it's not really suitable for dogs. Fairy Glen had a lot of folk there so couldn't really get a decent shot. It wasn't even a great walk either :banghead:

Bit of a bust this dog walk, you can't get to the bottom of Conwy falls anymore as it's fenced off, and even if you could it's not really suitable for dogs. Fairy Glen had a lot of folk there so couldn't really get a decent shot. It wasn't even a great walk either :banghead:

Park at Tanygrisiau at base of track into Cwmorthin, walk up hill, about 300m (then it levels out), you arrive at Cwmorthin Lake, with the Barracks on your left, walk past them to the left of the lake, and you have slate fences, a ruined chapel, continue walking, you have more ruins and the quarry amnagers house across the field. You then have option of the steep climb up into Rhosydd. Well worth it, and if you go through Rhosydd there are some dramtic views out towards the coast. My advice, stop messing about in the usual tourist traps!!!

Park at Tanygrisiau at base of track into Cwmorthin, walk up hill, about 300m (then it levels out), you arrive at Cwmorthin Lake, with the Barracks on your left, walk past them to the left of the lake, and you have slate fences, a ruined chapel, continue walking, you have more ruins and the quarry amnagers house across the field. You then have option of the steep climb up into Rhosydd. Well worth it, and if you go through Rhosydd there are some dramtic views out towards the coast. My advice, stop messing about in the usual tourist traps!!!
Thanks but we're heading home tomorrow morning but will bear this in mind as we plan on coming back. My wife likes the touristy things ;)

I have a couple of the Sony tough V90 cards they match the advertised speed. I also have quite a few of their V60 cards which also match the advertised speed. The only UHS-II cards I have that don’t match the advertised speeds are some ProGrade V60 cards but they are only about 10-15mb out.

The card reader you use for testing can effect the speed as well of course.

I don’t doubt the Manfrotto cards are quick I just wouldn’t buy them when so many if the reviews say they are only giving V60 performance when I can buy a 256GB V60 card for £100. On an A9 it won’t make any difference anyway they can only do V60 speeds so no advantage using V90. Even the A9II tops out at 185mbs.

Not sure what the A1 can get too but would be very surprised if it can get to the 280-300mbs mark.

It's a Kingston FCR-HS4 which I've had for longer than I can remember!

It would be interesting to see the Crystal Disk results of the Sony cards as I've never seen one achieve their speeds.

It's a Kingston FCR-HS4 which I've had for longer than I can remember!

It would be interesting to see the Crystal Disk results of the Sony cards as I've never seen one achieve their speeds.
How do you test card speeds?

here you are
Thanks, but what do you do, just attach the card via the reader and run the program?

As f2.8 said surely the results will be reliant on the card reader so how do we know we’re getting accurate results?

Thanks, but what do you do, just attach the card via the reader and run the program?

As f2.8 said surely the results will be reliant on the card reader so how do we know we’re getting accurate results?

Aye probably, but for me with the A9, my card reader is slightly faster than the camera so no problem as long as I'm exceeding the camera's max speeds. I suppose it doesn't really matter with the computer either, for all the difference it would make for me when transferring.

But if pro, or semi pro, and transferring lots of files everyday, especially if 50MP+ then probably more important.

Can anyone recommend a card reader which is known to be much faster?

Has anyone got the peak design clutch, does it allow you to carry the camera without having to grip it, ie purely hanging on the strap or would it simply slip off your hand?

I have the PD wrist strap but if I just let the camera ‘dangle’ it pulls on the strap making it tighter over time and partially cuts of the circulation to my hand :facepalm:

My card totally achieve it's speed. I've use a little program called SpeedOut_0.5 to check it. But when using the built in reader I was maxing out at 30mb/s. I bought a faster USB3 UHS-II card reader and now get 300mb/s.

My card totally achieve it's speed. I've use a little program called SpeedOut_0.5 to check it. But when using the built in reader I was maxing out at 30mb/s. I bought a faster USB3 UHS-II card reader and now get 300mb/s.

What reader did you get and what cards are they?

I totally spashed out on this one. I went for 32 GB tough SD UHS-II from Sony (read/write 300mb/s) and a sony reader (MRW-S1). You get both for about £100.

I totally spashed out on this one. I went for 32 GB tough SD UHS-II from Sony (read/write 300mb/s) and a sony reader (MRW-S1). You get both for about £100.

I might look into this reader and cards. I don't need it, I'll probably never need it. But I want it! haha

Once again I think the Kingston ones are the best value UHS-II cards at the moment
Plus Kingston ones ship with a free reader too.
not a huge lot of difference from Sony on the speeds. you can get 128GB for less than price of one 32GB Sony one.

Last edited:
Once again I think the Kingston ones are the best value UHS-II cards at the moment
not a huge lot of difference from Sony on the speeds. you can get 128GB for less than price of one 32GB Sony one.

Nice find :)

I filled 2 x 256GB on my recent dolphin trip. Thankfully had a spare UHS-II 64GB in my bag.

Just checked my Manfrotto V90 128GB card using Black Magic on the Mac App store using the Sandisk UHS-II card reader found here.

It says it's 500mb/s read speed which is far more than the card should be so in theory the card reader shouldn't slow the speed, but I don't know if SD card reader's 'write speed' influences results and if so I've no idea what the reader is?

Here's the results I obtained, although I take them with a pinch of salt as I've no idea how accurate they are. Does it matter if the card is partially full or empty, and whether it needs to be formatted to something like FAT32 rather than being formatted in camera?

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 11.50.06
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Tempted by one of those Kingston cards the 32GB is only £23.

Breaking news. Today marks exactly 1 year since I received my first camera, the Canon 5D mkll, and began photography. It's on the front pages of all the newspapers you know. :D

Breaking news. Today marks exactly 1 year since I received my first camera, the Canon 5D mkll, and began photography. It's on the front pages of all the newspapers you know. :D

:):):)

Nice find :)

I filled 2 x 256GB on my recent dolphin trip. Thankfully had a spare UHS-II 64GB in my bag.

Gosh that is bonkers. I hope I never fill 500GB in one outing! I don't want to buy a new HD every week! Was that a lot of video I guess?

Today we ate a strawberry! And it was delicious :D

Not this one...

DoolvSl.jpg

Had a ride up to Middle Peak Quarry today as they've been filming a new Star Wars Series there this week but they weren't doing so today unfortunately. Apparently you can't get near when they are anyway as the roads were all closed. Access to the quarry is all fenced off too so you can't get any decent views, this was the best I found. I'd have liked to get further towards it as it's full of water at the bottom. I just need to learn how to photoshop the Millennium Falcon into the shot now :LOL:

A9_04179
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Been out shooting with the 100-400 gm lens today. Lovely bit of glass. Is it normal to for this lens to have such excessive lens creep? It literally started extending from 100 to 350mm as soon as I took it out of the case and turned it upside down to mount it on the camera. There’s no lock button on it which seems a bizarre omission.

Other than that it seems like a great performer but this could be an issue when not walking with it in a camera bag.

Back