The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The 100-400mm GM is a great lens, I use this along with the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 for motorsport.

I tend to use zooms for landscapes and have been very happy with the 16-35mm f4. I just picked up a new 24-105mm f4 for £350 (after cash back) and that’s really impressed me in terms of sharpness across the frame.

I’ve used the Samyang 18mm f2.8 and 24mm f2.8 and both had very good image quality. The Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 is also very good.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.
Thanks Snerkler yeah wasn’t a great time, good to see the samyang work ok I’ll make my list today. I just hope the body’s still in stock by the time I push the button on Friday

I've started to like the combination of my A7 with a prime, yesterday it was the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, and Panasonic GX80 with 45-150mm.

I like my flower pictures.

otq860Y.jpg

A nice quiet and restful sit by the waters edge.

uCaxhRr.jpg

Duck at f2 :D

FBmYEOy.jpg

Last edited:
I've started to like the combination of my A7 with a prime, yesterday it was the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, and Panasonic GX80 with 45-150mm.

I like my flower pictures.

otq860Y.jpg

A nice quiet and restful sit by the waters edge.

uCaxhRr.jpg

Duck at f2 :D

FBmYEOy.jpg
I like Flower Pics too, must be my Inner women, nice photos

I can understand that, but if you want best image quality then the (rolling) electronic shutter is potentially a compromise as the sensor rows are not all exposed at the same time.

(I know Sony have minimised rolling shutter effects, and easier to do with stacked sensor with faster readout, but they will be there in some scenarios)

I don't think I have ever used anything but my mechanical shutter on the A7R2 - I always thought that if you had any sort of man made lighting effects (indoor bulbs, street lights and neon signs) then it wasn't advised..

I like Flower Pics too, must be my Inner women, nice photos

Men can like nice things too. Life is too short for stereotypes, IMO :D

Not quite a flower...

A7 and film are Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

Z1wJ912.jpg

We'll have to get a tunnel for these as we had lovely red one ripening and something came along and ate half of it.

Men can like nice things too. Life is too short for stereotypes, IMO :D

Not quite a flower...

A7 and film are Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

Z1wJ912.jpg

We'll have to get a tunnel for these as we had lovely red one ripening and something came along and ate half of it.

Stick some straw under your strawberries Alan

I've read and watched a few Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG DN Art reviews lately. As it seems decent and is significantly cheaper than the Sony is anyone tempted?

I have to say despite the increased cost I'd probably lean towards the Sony as it's a bit smaller and the focusing is I think a bit quicker which could matter on my old A7.

The rumor guy points to the review on DPR. I a had a look at this before but it must have been a work in progress, this is apparently the full review.

I don’t use it very much but I have been really happy with the Tamron although it’s 28-75mm. I like the fact it weighs next to nothing and is small considering it’s a lens I don’t use a lot. It’s very sharp and a.f speed is pretty good. They are also relatively cheap so excellent value for money.

I take it you want this for video though, not really sure what the best option is there none of the video guys I know use zoom lenses so not sure how they perform in terms of focus breathing etc.

Yeah it’ll be for some multipurpose video project, eventually I’ll go over to primes but on a gimbal a zoom makes more sense at the moment.

Sigma 24-70/2.8 DN

If you want a smaller/cheaper package and don't mind 28mm start either tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or sigma 28-70mm f2.8 DN.

And if you want 20/30fps shooting with A9/1 series then Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM

Thanks, I’ll have a look. Not interested in the A9/1 at the moment! GM is a bit too much cash to outlay at the moment, I’m after a good deal as always.

Thanks, I’ll have a look. Not interested in the A9/1 at the moment! GM is a bit too much cash to outlay at the moment, I’m after a good deal as always.

sigma 24-70mm/2.8 is possibly the best overall option at the moment. I personally would go for that over the GM if I were in the market for one of these lenses.
also there were rumours about 24-70GM getting a refresh.

I snapped my Sony, i fell over on cobbles all in my bag, got up and went to get Unit out 24-70GM totally snapped off at collar mount ring was still attached to Camera. anyway Insurance paid, but 930 quid to mend :( Never liked it, it felt unbalanced just like me on the cobbles :)

I processed this photo to enhance light, shadow and a bit of mystery in the style of a famous chinese photographer from the 1950s called 'Fan Ho' whose monochrome work I like. Taken with the Sigma 16mm F1.4 at F3.2 on a very sunny day in London. :)

Journey of Steps

Steps by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Looks like and angry Ninja :D

Mrs WW doing social meja.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f1.4.

isFSMPm.jpg

I do a lot of lens changes so I regularly check for dust bunnies by taking an out of focus picture of a white door. I usually then take another picture just to make sure I've put all the setting back and the above is this other after dust bunny check picture. I like it so I'm keeping it and she'll probably send it to her mam.

100%.

t523mn4.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody know anywhere to buy CF-A cards for A1 cheaper then UK prices or anywhere in UK that isn’t the usual suspects all same price there lol

Anybody know anywhere to buy CF-A cards for A1 cheaper then UK prices or anywhere in UK that isn’t the usual suspects all same price there lol

Just use UHS-II V90 SD cards the write speed won’t be much different anyway. Only advantage of CF-A card in the real world is the much quicker read speed no camera can write at CF-A speed and won’t for donkeys years.

I read somewhere that you can get a 120 frames on the 300mb write cards before the buffer fills. Although you may want to check that.

Last edited:
Manfrotto are running their 50% sale at the moment on SD cards. I've got the 128GB one in the A9 and it's very good.

View attachment 322175

Might be a bit small for the A1 would probably need 256gb card realistically. Seen quite a lot of reviews on those Manfrotto cards and they don't get anywhere near the advertised write speeds which has always put me of them. They are probably plenty quick for the A9 but if they are advertising V90 speeds I want V90 speeds.

Last edited:
Might be a bit small for the A1 would probably need 256gb card realistically. Seen quite a lot of reviews on those Manfrotto cards and they don't get anywhere near the advertised write speeds which has always put me of them.

I've never properly tested mine. I remember looking at this site which was interesting. I'm not sure how many cards really get their quoted speeds though. The Manfrotto has been fast enough for me.

I've never properly tested mine. I remember looking at this site which was interesting. I'm not sure how many cards really get their quoted speeds though. The Manfrotto has been fast enough for me.

Yeah it's a fast card but when I looked at them quite a lot of people were complaining that they were only getting V60 card speeds not V90 so max of around 130-150mbs write speed. You can buy a 256GB v60 card with around 130-150mbs write speed for about £100, so better value for similar performance and you are getting double the storage. A9 can't write at 280mbs anyway it tops out at about 150mbs so probably not a big deal if you are using an A9.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a fast card but when I looked at them quite a lot of people were complaining that they were only getting V60 card speeds not V90 so max of around 130-150mbs write speed. You can buy a 256GB v60 card with around 130-150mbs write speed for about £100, so better value for similar performance and you are getting double the storage. A9 can't write at 280mbs anyway it tops out at about 150mbs so probably not a big deal if you are using an A9.

I think I remember that's why I went for it because of the A9 max speed, but only worth it when in the sale. I also mind something about people peeling labels off early cards revealing V60 or something like that. I'm not sure if that was Manfrotto or the retailer(s) because mine seems to go faster - I bought directly from them.

I've just done a quick test and when writing it averages about 183MB/s and slows down at the end and reads over 200MB/s. As usual nothing near quoted but perfect for the A9. Perhaps not the best for the A1 though.

What cards would you recommend for the A1 that can achieve their quoted speeds, if any?

write speed.jpg read speed.jpg

Last edited:
I think I remember that's why I went for it because of the A9 max speed, but only worth it when in the sale. I also mind something about people peeling labels off early cards revealing V60 or something like that. I'm not sure if that was Manfrotto or the retailer(s) because mine seems to go faster - I bought directly from them.

I've just done a quick test and when writing it averages about 183MB/s and slows down at the end and reads over 200MB/s. As usual nothing near quoted but perfect for the A9. Perhaps not the best for the A1 though.

What cards would you recommend for the A1 that can achieve their quoted speeds, if any?

View attachment 322176 View attachment 322177

The V90 Sony tough cards are probably the best SD card choice for the A1.

Crystal Disk is the best way to test memory speed.

Last edited:
Manfrotto are running their 50% sale at the moment on SD cards. I've got the 128GB one in the A9 and it's very good.

View attachment 322175

I have a couple of manfrotto ones.
But recently these have come to my attention and seem to perform really well

These are cheaper, wee bit faster too plus you get a free UHS-II reader
But they aren't tough.

Last edited:
Quit a fair bit off the stated 280mbs write speed then although a little bit quicker than V60.

I don't think I've ever had a card that could do its stated speed, including Sandisk etc. But for me and the A9 the Manfrotto does the job and so far reliability.

Have you got the Sony Tough one to test?

I don't think I've ever had a card that could do its stated speed, including Sandisk etc. But for me and the A9 the Manfrotto does the job and so far reliability.

Manfrotto ones have been fast enough for me in
real life use, even at 20fps.

I have a couple of the Sony tough V90 cards they match the advertised speed. I also have quite a few of their V60 cards which also match the advertised speed. The only UHS-II cards I have that don’t match the advertised speeds are some ProGrade V60 cards but they are only about 10-15mb out.

The card reader you use for testing can effect the speed as well of course.

I don’t doubt the Manfrotto cards are quick I just wouldn’t buy them when so many if the reviews say they are only giving V60 performance when I can buy a 256GB V60 card for £100. On an A9 it won’t make any difference anyway they can only do V60 speeds so no advantage using V90. Even the A9II tops out at 185mbs.

Not sure what the A1 can get too but would be very surprised if it can get to the 280-300mbs mark.

Last edited:
Cwmorthin/Rhosydd when the weathers crap, these sort of places don't look right in the sunshine! (or Dinorwic, if you are feeling brave - not a dog walk though!)
Thanks, we're going to head out not far from Rhosydd this afternoon, Conwy falls and Fairy Glen.

Back