The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Had a ride up to Middle Peak Quarry today as they've been filming a new Star Wars Series there this week but they weren't doing so today unfortunately. Apparently you can't get near when they are anyway as the roads were all closed. Access to the quarry is all fenced off too so you can't get any decent views, this was the best I found. I'd have liked to get further towards it as it's full of water at the bottom. I just need to learn how to photoshop the Millennium Falcon into the shot now :LOL:

A9_04179
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Challenge accepted:)

Been out shooting with the 100-400 gm lens today. Lovely bit of glass. Is it normal to for this lens to have such excessive lens creep? It literally started extending from 100 to 350mm as soon as I took it out of the case and turned it upside down to mount it on the camera. There’s no lock button on it which seems a bizarre omission.

Other than that it seems like a great performer but this could be an issue when not walking with it in a camera bag.

think its slightly better if you change the zooming action from being smooth to tight. but it has a fair bit of creep regardless.
Lack of lock switch is a bit of an oversight even the tamron 150-500mm comes with one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Been out shooting with the 100-400 gm lens today. Lovely bit of glass. Is it normal to for this lens to have such excessive lens creep? It literally started extending from 100 to 350mm as soon as I took it out of the case and turned it upside down to mount it on the camera. There’s no lock button on it which seems a bizarre omission.

Other than that it seems like a great performer but this could be an issue when not walking with it in a camera bag.
That’s my gripe with it too, I don’t understand why they chose to have a tight and smooth setting rather than locked and unlocked, apparently Canon do the same.

When in tight mine does take a while of walking to extend, but annoying nonetheless, especially for a £2k lens.

No lock but has a tension selector. On mine if its set to smooth it will open up on its own (just tested mine it opens to 350mm). If its set to tight it doesn't extend when held upside down.

Last edited:
No lock but has a tension selector. On mine if its set to smooth it will open up on its own (just tested mine it opens to 350mm). If its set to tight it doesn't extend when held upside down.
Have you tried walking with it on a sling strap or similar? Mine doesn’t extend if I just hold it upside down but if I walk with it on a sling strap with the lens pointed down it will gradually start to extend.

Have you tried walking with it on a sling strap or similar? Mine doesn’t extend if I just hold it upside down but if I walk with it on a sling strap with the lens pointed down it will gradually start to extend.
I’ve not. If it’s on a strap I‘d attach it to the tripod foot so it would be horizontal rather than pointing downwards.

I’m a complete video novice but I thought I might try some video at the World Superbikes next week so had a quick play today.

If I turn the mode dial to video and press the record button the video is recording in “P” mode, but if I have the mode dial set for a camera mode and press the record button the video is recording in “A” mode, I assume meaning aperture priority. Why is this and what’s best to use?

I also found that AF-C doesn’t work. It acquires focus but then if I move from one subject to another the focus doesn’t change. Why is this and how do I set it so that focus changes automatically depending on where the focus point is (assuming I’m pressing the BBF)?

lastly, if I pan will I get the rolling shutter effect? If so is there a way to minimise this?

I’m a complete video novice but I thought I might try some video at the World Superbikes next week so had a quick play today.

If I turn the mode dial to video and press the record button the video is recording in “P” mode, but if I have the mode dial set for a camera mode and press the record button the video is recording in “A” mode, I assume meaning aperture priority. Why is this and what’s best to use?

I also found that AF-C doesn’t work. It acquires focus but then if I move from one subject to another the focus doesn’t change. Why is this and how do I set it so that focus changes automatically depending on where the focus point is (assuming I’m pressing the BBF)?

lastly, if I pan will I get the rolling shutter effect? If so is there a way to minimise this?

Use the video mode, but go into the menu and change it to manual. Can’t remember the exact setting.The camera should AF on whatever’s in the box as you move the camera around. You should need to use the shutter button to focus.

Use the video mode, but go into the menu and change it to manual. Can’t remember the exact setting.The camera should AF on whatever’s in the box as you move the camera around. You should need to use the shutter button to focus.
Cool thanks, so BBF doesn't work in video so I need to activate the shutter button AF?

Another question, it's always bugged me how long it takes Sonys to turn on and be ready for operation, does the size of the memory card influence this as it has more data to read to be ready? I don't know if it's in my head but it seems to take longer since I've been using 128gb cards.

Another question, it's always bugged me how long it takes Sonys to turn on and be ready for operation, does the size of the memory card influence this as it has more data to read to be ready? I don't know if it's in my head but it seems to take longer since I've been using 128gb cards.

Watched pot never boils :LOL:

I don't think card size makes any difference, we use 256gb cards now and haven't noticed any difference with smaller cards.

I have 2 x 128gb cards in my a7RIV/s and they are not slow to turn on at all :) have you messed with the settings ???

Les

Just been having a quick nosey through the photographs from yesterday's wedding, loved using the 50GM yesterday, it is just a really nice lens to use.

For this one I switched over to using the 24GM and the 50GM and my missus used the 35GM and the 85GM that I would usually use.

It surprised me a little that I didn't use the 24GM as much as I thought I would. I was thinking it would replace the 35GM for me and I usually find that after a wedding 35mm is the focal length I use the most throughout the day, but I didn't use the 24mm that much and used the 50 for most things, I am guessing because I could use the 50 for the stuff I normally use the 85 for and with it also being pretty close focal length wise to the 35 as well I was able to get away mostly with using the 50mm. I probably could have got through the day only using the 50mm if I had needed too, which surprised me a bit. 50mm was always a focal length I have had a bit of a love/hate relationship with when I shot Nikon.

It's left me in a slight quandary now, the 50mm is so damn good, a.f is instant and far more reliable than I though it ever could be wide open and I am loving the option of shooting at f/1.2. However I also really like the 35GM and my missus got some amazing stuff with it yesterday. I am kind of wondering if I could use a 35/50 although in the traditional way that doesn't really make much sense or maybe I can actually get away with just using the 50mm.

Just been having a quick nosey through the photographs from yesterday's wedding, loved using the 50GM yesterday, it is just a really nice lens to use.

For this one I switched over to using the 24GM and the 50GM and my missus used the 35GM and the 85GM that I would usually use.

It surprised me a little that I didn't use the 24GM as much as I thought I would. I was thinking it would replace the 35GM for me and I usually find that after a wedding 35mm is the focal length I use the most throughout the day, but I didn't use the 24mm that much and used the 50 for most things, I am guessing because I could use the 50 for the stuff I normally use the 85 for and with it also being pretty close focal length wise to the 35 as well I was able to get away mostly with using the 50mm. I probably could have got through the day only using the 50mm if I had needed too, which surprised me a bit. 50mm was always a focal length I have had a bit of a love/hate relationship with when I shot Nikon.

It's left me in a slight quandary now, the 50mm is so damn good, a.f is instant and far more reliable than I though it ever could be wide open and I am loving the option of shooting at f/1.2. However I also really like the 35GM and my missus got some amazing stuff with it yesterday. I am kind of wondering if I could use a 35/50 although in the traditional way that doesn't really make much sense or maybe I can actually get away with just using the 50mm.

I understand this dilemma, and whilst i haven't the 50GM, I shot this paid gig with 35GM/50ZA

I'm happy with 35/50 I think I might try at next wedding

This is my main issue. Thanks to all who suggested setting it to to tight. It’s made a difference. However I plan to use this type of lens for our upcoming trips to the Peak District and Wales where we will be doing a lot of hiking. If it starts extending while it’s on my hip that’s going to annoy the hell out of me.

I've seen comments on forums from people saying 50mm is a nothing length and they see no need for it but I've always thought it's almost a do it all lens giving a natural perspective... but the catch is that it only is if that's how you like to take pictures. Plus of course I assume that at a wedding you'll need either room to step back or more likely a wider lens for the group shots.

I'm not sure that I'd see 35/50 as a good set for me, 24/50 or even 28/50 would suit me better but I do like 35mm. Maybe if that rumour of a 28mm f1.8 G turns out to be true that cold make a nice set with the 50mm f1.2.

I'm happy with 35/50 I think I might try at next wedding

We have a couple of weddings in the coming week so I think I might give it a bash as well

I've seen comments on forums from people saying 50mm is a nothing length and they see no need for it but I've always thought it's almost a do it all lens giving a natural perspective... but the catch is that it only is if that's how you like to take pictures. Plus of course I assume that at a wedding you'll need either room to step back or more likely a wider lens for the group shots.

I'm not sure that I'd see 35/50 as a good set for me, 24/50 or even 28/50 would suit me better but I do like 35mm. Maybe if that rumour of a 28mm f1.8 G turns out to be true that cold make a nice set with the 50mm f1.2.

Have always used the 55mm for group shots since switching too Sony, have used the 85 on occasion too. I prefer using a longer rather than a wide lens for group photos although we don't do many of those anyway. Even the 35mm seems to wide for those for me, although I will use if I am stuck for space. When we do the odd family portrait session, I use the 135 for family groups, the background separation makes what can be a boring photo a lot more exciting, in my eyes anyway.

Well there you go then. If the 55mm is ok for group shots the 50mm should suit you well. And you like the lens. Win Win.

You don’t want to be touching any buttons to focus as it’ll make the footage all jerky
Thanks for your help. Just tried it again without pressing any focus buttons and see that it focuses itself, it's like magic ;) I see that I can't choose the tracking AF option for video though so I guess you either have to move the AF point around yourself, or move the camera to follow? Lastly, if using manual mode what sort of shutter speed do I need to be using?
I have 2 x 128gb cards in my a7RIV/s and they are not slow to turn on at all :) have you messed with the settings ???

Les
Not that I'm aware of, all Sonys I've used have been the same. When turning on it's a few seconds before it's ready to shoot
This is my main issue. Thanks to all who suggested setting it to to tight. It’s made a difference. However I plan to use this type of lens for our upcoming trips to the Peak District and Wales where we will be doing a lot of hiking. If it starts extending while it’s on my hip that’s going to annoy the hell out of me.
I'm pretty sure you will find it extends over time. I'm considering getting a lensband for mine, pretty annoying.

Thanks for your help. Just tried it again without pressing any focus buttons and see that it focuses itself, it's like magic ;) I see that I can't choose the tracking AF option for video though so I guess you either have to move the AF point around yourself, or move the camera to follow? Lastly, if using manual mode what sort of shutter speed do I need to be using?
Not that I'm aware of, all Sonys I've used have been the same. When turning on it's a few seconds before it's ready to shoot
I'm pretty sure you will find it extends over time. I'm considering getting a lensband for mine, pretty annoying.

You can choose the speed it focuses at to make it smoother, shutter speed that’s twice your frame rate.

You can choose the speed it focuses at to make it smoother, shutter speed that’s twice your frame rate.
Thanks, I think I have most of it sussed now (y)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap compact external mic for the A9-II that doesn’t get in the way of using the EVF please?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap compact external mic for the A9-II that doesn’t get in the way of using the EVF please?

This looks good.https://youtu.be/8fiqspdNEbM

Just how I use mine- so long as the ring is not too loose it works fine

Les :)

fTcpHa0.jpg

9rOEkhx.jpg

(Yes I know it focused on the nose!)

Back